Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I played Dark Souls for a hot minute and then ended up loading up Super Mario Bros. (1985)

I forgot the running and jumping momentum this game had. I think I'm going to try to beat this legit OG style (no savescumming no warps) but it might take me a while

It's really weird playing the original NES games because I beat all the games on All-Stars where the physics are actually worse. All-Stars is hard mode yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Most of those Switch NES games are bad but Dr Mario still owns in 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Really Pants posted:

is Nintendo seriously making Bowser into an anime titty lady

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCrcO-gtSEs

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

It's really weird playing the original NES games because I beat all the games on All-Stars where the physics are actually worse. All-Stars is hard mode yo.

for a long time i thought i just hated the nes mario games because i only really played all-stars and all-stars smb1 feels absolutely terrible

i tried playing the actual og nes version recently and was amazed at how much more fun it was

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Playing Mario Maker has permanently hosed up my muscle memory for old Mario now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I fell and died in the same pit three times: once when I ran off the edge without jumping in time, once when I jumped too far and fell off the platform into the pit, and then once when I landed and tried to brake and ran off the platform in the other direction. And now it's game over.

Man games used to be really punishing didn't they

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like this trend of video game characters texting each other.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh right I nearly forgot, it's Earth, Wind & Fire day everybody. Go listen to some EWF and boogie on down.

https://twitter.com/NE_0_N/status/1043304606225321984

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I fell and died in the same pit three times: once when I ran off the edge without jumping in time, once when I jumped too far and fell off the platform into the pit, and then once when I landed and tried to brake and ran off the platform in the other direction. And now it's game over.

smb is a console game from 1985 so it was just crawling out of that primordial soup of the atari era along with all of the early 80s famicom games and the concept of a linear game structure was just being defined, and they gotta keep you playing somehow

super mario bros 3 is a lot softer cause it's a bigger game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

no because i took bulbasaur

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

this

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
some of us took squirtle

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The White Dragon posted:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Colonel posted:

smb is a console game from 1985 so it was just crawling out of that primordial soup of the atari era along with all of the early 80s famicom games and the concept of a linear game structure was just being defined, and they gotta keep you playing somehow

super mario bros 3 is a lot softer cause it's a bigger game

Perhaps it's just a matter of playing super mario bros deluxe on the gbc a bunch, but I always found the control in smb and lost levels a lot more tight than in smb3 or world, where I would get hit all the time due to misjudging where I would land while jumping.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

in 1985 you were playing it on a crt with no input lag

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I feel bad for the bulbasaur kids

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

apparently theres a new star control out?? is it any good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cuntman.net posted:

apparently theres a new star control out?? is it any good

the ceo of the company is a gamergate enthusiast alt-right prick who is currently suing the two guys who worked on star control 1 and 2 for trying to make their own star control game after copyright trolling rights to various names of alien races from star control so who cares if it's good

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It's an unrelated game, wearing the illegitimately acquired name of Star Control bought from people who didn't actually own the rights to sell it, and made by a guy that tries to murder his own employees with bees.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Tendales posted:

It's an unrelated game, wearing the illegitimately acquired name of Star Control bought from people who didn't actually own the rights to sell it, and made by a guy that tries to murder his own employees with bees.

drat, didn't think The Pain would switch to games development.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

im not sure what i was expecting but it definitely wasnt that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Oh, also it's not very good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
brad wardell is an impressively terrible person

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

b_d posted:

this is the one i was thinking of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Sjr4e9YGo

maybe? i'm going to keep looking.

edit:
I could have sworn there was a track that started exactly the same... maybe my brain was combining that one and this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkRvgb27xnU

the first few seconds sound kind of like the first few seconds of the winky save school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2y-UNDycns

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
KCB comes back from her parents and tells me that 50 Cent is dead and I'm like "whoa what" and she's all "yeah my mom said he got shot and this time he actually died" and I went looking it up and it turns out some other guy who also goes by 50 Cent was killed in a shooting and now a bunch of people are really confused

RIP the other 50 Cent though

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

the ceo of the company is a gamergate enthusiast alt-right prick who is currently suing the two guys who worked on star control 1 and 2 for trying to make their own star control game after copyright trolling rights to various names of alien races from star control so who cares if it's good

Well that game is coming off my Steam wish list.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

KCB comes back from her parents and tells me that 50 Cent is dead and I'm like "whoa what" and she's all "yeah my mom said he got shot and this time he actually died" and I went looking it up and it turns out some other guy who also goes by 50 Cent was killed in a shooting and now a bunch of people are really confused

RIP the other 50 Cent though

makes sense there would be another 50 Cent since it's half a dollar

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Ceyton posted:

I just assumed that people's avs were accurate representations of them IRL.

It will be once my plan to resurrect Tom Petty as a cyborg is complete.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Md2ODg-0M

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tendales posted:

So who tried to sell star control if they did not have the right to sell it?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1043119423798824961

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

They coulda been a whole dollar....

The next 50 Cent video game is gonna be about 50 traveling to Trinidad to avenge the death of the other 50 Cent.

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand Dollar

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I've had a rough month so I think I'm going to get wasted and play Yoshi's Woolly World tonight.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Help Im Alive posted:

Most of those Switch NES games are bad but Dr Mario still owns in 2018

I was really surprised to discover recently that a lot of people do not like Dr. Mario. It is a cool game and the music is awesome and the viruses are extremely cool looking.

a messed up horse posted:

in 1985 you were playing it on a crt with no input lag

that’s how I play it now :cool:

LeafyOrb posted:

I've had a rough month so I think I'm going to get wasted and play Yoshi's Woolly World tonight.

Do not play the bonus levels unless you want your depression to deepen, that poo poo is brutal

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pharohman777 posted:

So who tried to sell star control if they did not have the right to sell it?
iirc the way it goes is, Stardock bought the rights to Star Control 3 from Atari, but the original Atari deal stipulated that they'd only have the rights to the original elements of that game and not anything that had been established previously, and also the original creators of SC say that Atari didn't even have the rights to the name at the time that they sold it. anyway Brad Wardell comes out and says like "yeah we're making a new Star Control" and that's the first time those guys hear about it or even realize that the rights were out there, and those guys are like "okay we're going to make one too but it'll have the Ur-Quan in it" and wardell got really mad lmao

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My twitter feed is really sad right now because I happened to be following like 90% of the staff. It’s crazy how many people they actually employed for a company that made licensed episodic adventure games

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe they were two sides of the same coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the autistic girl in the walking dead season 2 is maybe the worst writing ive ever seen in any video game, ever. dad acting like autism is some impossible to explain malady handed down by elder gods, there being a way to 'save' her but then she dies three minutes later randomly for no reason, everyone acting like she's better off dead

• Locked thread