Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

LinkedIn? Glassdoor? Monster.com? Craigslist job postings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

I'm spending 8 hours in ATL tomorrow. Where should I spend it? I'll have access to the Delta lounges in addition to priority pass.

I'm willing to leave the airport, but only if it's something amazing because :effort:

Eat or at least get a cocktail at one flew south

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

KillHour posted:

I'm spending 8 hours in ATL tomorrow. Where should I spend it? I'll have access to the Delta lounges in addition to priority pass.

I'm willing to leave the airport, but only if it's something amazing because :effort:

The massage place right below the SkyClub in B terminal gives really good massages. They're pricey, but very good. Otherwise, just hang out in the SkyClub and people watch. If you leave the airport, you're guaranteed 4 of your 8 hours will be spent in traffic and/or in TSA lines.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sellouts posted:

LinkedIn? Glassdoor? Monster.com? Craigslist job postings?

:emptyquote:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the delta flight museum is right nearby so if you're desparate / a sperg that works

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the delta flight museum is right nearby so if you're desparate / a sperg that works

I forgot about that - I'm not a sperg and found it interesting.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

The F-concourse sky club is my favorite; on a REC-GRU-ATL-MIA odyssey several years back I had a pretty decent shower there, since then there's a new outdoor deck. I seem to remember a nice atrium in the club too.

Of course with eight hours you'd have time to check out all the big ones.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Man that routing is brutal

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
There's a hot blonde bartender named rachel with amazing tits in the smoking bar in A or S.

Also EWR is the loving shittiest airport like what the gently caress is up with the old as airtram thing. It's so hard to figure, going back security was hard to find and than the terminals are like 8 gates and one loving restaurant with terrible service. Everything us dirty as gently caress too

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Waroduce posted:

There's a hot blonde bartender named rachel with amazing tits in the smoking bar in A or S.

Right, now I can't go to A or S because my gf might read this post. Thanks a lot, rear end in a top hat. :mad:

All jokes aside, that's a pretty drat gross thing to say. It's not the 1980's, dude.

quote:

Also EWR is the loving shittiest airport like what the gently caress is up with the old as airtram thing. It's so hard to figure, going back security was hard to find and than the terminals are like 8 gates and one loving restaurant with terrible service. Everything us dirty as gently caress too

You can catch a bus to terminal C, which is a lot more bearable.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 22, 2018

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KillHour posted:

Right, now I can't go to A or S because my gf might read this post. Thanks a lot, rear end in a top hat. :mad:

All jokes aside, that's a pretty drat gross thing to say. It's not the 1980's, dude.

You can catch a bus to terminal C, which is a lot more bearable.

How many frequent flyer miles does white knighting get you? Asking for a friend.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

movax posted:

How many frequent flyer miles does white knighting get you? Asking for a friend.

cool

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Man that routing is brutal

Yeah I was regretting it before I left for the trip home, especially since I found out my local friends that also went there bought the last seats on REC-MIA.

edit:

6549mi vs. 3839mi

Cocoa Crispies fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 22, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Yeah I was regretting it before I left for the trip home, especially since I found out my local friends that also went there bought the last seats on REC-MIA.

edit:

6549mi vs. 3839mi

But miles! :downs:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cathay First Class or Centurion lounge at HKG? I've only ever been to the Cathay lounge.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why not both?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Cathay by far

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Got to use United's new boarding process this week which has rolled out everywhere outside the few test airports (like LAX) where they've been trying it.

Basically, pre-board now includes 1k, groups 1&2 have one line, 3/4/5 another and also that group is told to sit down and wait for their betters to board.

Everyone ignores it, so at the moment you have people gauntlets, where, say, group 1 and 2 forms in the same gate-lice manner as always, then group 1 is called and chaos ensues as people bump their way forward through the line because United thought putting multiple groups in one line with but still boarding people by number was a great idea.

Pre-board is now more fun because you have (in order) - disabled, military, small children, Global Services, and finally 1k. Meaning the pre-board line can now be nearly as long as the others, except they don't have an official line so everyone hangs out in loose groups around the gate. And if you are wondering "gee, does the gate agent still rush through announcing all these before calling group 1?" wonder no longer because they do.

Also first/business boards with group 1, which has made some people really salty because by God they paid a lot of money why are we stuck here with the pleebs yadda yadda yadda.

It is fantastic. They couldn't have come up with a worse boarding system if that was what they actually set out to do in the first place. Interested to see how this sorts out as it becomes the norm. I ran in to it coming back from Amsterdam earlier in the week and again when I flew to Denver yesterday.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Next weekend I'm going on my fourth trip to New Jersey since I started travelling for work.

Four too many trips to Jersey, if you ask me. At least I have TSA-Pre now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Good call on One Flew South. It's not cheap, but it's tasty and the drinks are STRONG.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Good call on One Flew South. It's not cheap, but it's tasty and the drinks are STRONG.

And if you’re traveling for work it’s going in your expense report anyways.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

And if you’re traveling for work it’s going in your expense report anyways.

:sigh: Per diem.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I wish I got per diem because I am usually super cheap traveler. We just expense absolutely everything in my company so I usually go nuts within the limit I've been told.

My boss barely glances at these expense reports. He also says to order drinks when eating out and get non-itemized receipts for everything lol.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

We have a "goal" of less than $75 per day with exceptions for special events or locales where everything is just expensive.

The best part of about it is we don't receipts for anything about $75.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Mandalay posted:

Cathay by far

Which one?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I wish I got per diem because I am usually super cheap traveler. We just expense absolutely everything in my company so I usually go nuts within the limit I've been told.

My boss barely glances at these expense reports. He also says to order drinks when eating out and get non-itemized receipts for everything lol.

Most of the travel for my current project has been to multi-day "hack houses" where us remote workers rent some huge house and work/hang out irl instead of online for a change. Per diem and cooking most meals from scratch makes it really nice on the wallet.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

FunOne posted:

Which one?

Pier F if convenient

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mandalay posted:

Pier F if convenient

J class AA plat, so I think I have access. I'll be killing most of lunch, about 2.5 hours there, so should be fine making the treck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You don’t have access to F lounges.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Glad you liked it. Get there while you can, I heard a rumor that they have less than a year left on the contract and that it'll change over. A bunch of the staff have turned over recently, it's gone a little bit downhill.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

You don’t have access to F lounges.

Then I guess I will have to go to the business class Pier. Most reviews seem to consider it the better choice.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Pier J is great too. If you are pressed for time, then honestly the Wing or Qantas are fine too if more convenient.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mandalay posted:

Pier J is great too. If you are pressed for time, then honestly the Wing or Qantas are fine too if more convenient.

Agreed. I can’t remember if they’re connecting. But if there’s any way to control the amount of time spent in airport I try to avoid any lounge by spending more time in city.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Pier J was a perfectly cromulent lounge and I lucked out with the assigned gate next door so I didn't have to tour the airport to get to the plane.

Dan Dan noodles and a little wine while watching Cathay bring in a 777 to the gate right outside the window is a nice little close to this trip. Well, until the CFA off of PGBT and 20 on the way home.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Glad you liked it. Get there while you can, I heard a rumor that they have less than a year left on the contract and that it'll change over. A bunch of the staff have turned over recently, it's gone a little bit downhill.

That sucks. OFS is my favorite place at ATL by far.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons second time going to SFO.

I know a few taco places and tartine bakery and eater’s list. But you guys got recommendations? Thanks

And I’m in for a week but more free next week if someone is up for a beer/food next Friday /Saturday let me know!

And of course my flight is delayed but hey! New seats in cathay, little tighter seats but bigger screens

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
God drat it sitting here for 1.5 hours and I’m not even on taxi yet.

This is the only time where business rocks because you can chill out

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
EWR is the shittiest airport in a major city I've very been in, new Jersey is a loving suburb between philly and new York bisected by a highway

I'd rather be in buttfuck west virgina getting drunk at a god drat Applebee's

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

have you tried south jersey

ahahaha what a place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I am about to spend a week in New Jersey :v: at least I will be spending the weekend boozing in new york

Looks like my days of flying BA are over as well. It will be either Swiss or United, how is United for transatlantic routes? I did a status match to United Platinum something or other.