Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

tuyop posted:

That’s a real shame. I stopped using Mint when the API to one of my banks broke for months. I was already using YNAB anyway so it wasn’t a huge shift. But now YNAB is subscription-based as well so I thought mint might do it. :shrug:

Earlier today when I did my Mint refresh, both Citi and Chase couldn't be updated due to "problems". Obviously my individual logins to those sites worked fine.

Mint's decline is also timed around when they got acquired by Intuit. Considering QuickBooks is even more terribroken, I'd say the future for Mint looks bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

nervana posted:

Anybody having trouble with tubextreme? Would appreciate recommends for any other apps that let me watch youtube without ads.

Pretty sure they are all getting killed off.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What app do I use to add rewards cards to my wallet when they don’t have apps? Something like “Stocard” but that one doesn’t let me add them to the wallet.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

What app do I use to add rewards cards to my wallet when they don’t have apps? Something like “Stocard” but that one doesn’t let me add them to the wallet.

Stocard does exactly what you want, but it's not intuitive. Open a card, hit "Share", then "Add to Apple Wallet".

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
hell yeah

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Is this their beta or did you get an updated app? I'm not showing it in my app store as an update yet.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TraderStav posted:

Is this their beta or did you get an updated app? I'm not showing it in my app store as an update yet.

TestFlight. So just a few days. But it’s the first time it appeared there.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
GarageBand apparently just added MIDI support but I can’t see how to import them. Anyone worked it out yet?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can we rename this thread to “iOS apps and shortcuts” or something like that.

I’ll start with shortcut discussion: is it possible to make a workflow continue say 30 minutes after starting (without hijacking my phone I mean)? I see a continue action under scripting but it looks like it’s more for adding small second delays.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can we rename this thread to “iOS apps and shortcuts” or something like that.

I’ll start with shortcut discussion: is it possible to make a workflow continue say 30 minutes after starting (without hijacking my phone I mean)? I see a continue action under scripting but it looks like it’s more for adding small second delays.

You set the wait to the use the variable you defined immediately prior. After you add the "Wait", just tap the part that says "1 second" and you should be able to select the value you set in the "variable" box.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

You set the wait to the use the variable you defined immediately prior. After you add the "Wait", just tap the part that says "1 second" and you should be able to select the value you set in the "variable" box.

Oh that works thanks. I didn’t realize I could add more than a few seconds to it and also I thought that my phone’s function would be hijacked while the workflow was running cause I think it used to. But this is nice.

I think your screenshot is wrong tho. You’re setting the name of the variable to 1800 there, not the value. Either way you can just use automatic (magic) variables too:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh that works thanks. I didn’t realize I could add more than a few seconds to it and also I thought that my phone’s function would be hijacked while the workflow was running cause I think it used to. But this is nice.

I think your screenshot is wrong tho. You’re setting the name of the variable to 1800 there, not the value. Either way you can just use automatic (magic) variables too:

Well poo poo, you're right.

But yeah, that's the basic idea.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Trying to make a shortcut to send my ETA from maps to the person I'm currently texting (or failing that, a prompt recipient).

There is a Get Travel Time command, but I can't figure out how to automatically pass the current destination to that without needing to prompt for the destination.

I could make one that texts a person my ETA to their address saved in my contacts, but that's not helpful when headed to meet someone not at their home.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
This might be beyond what Shortcuts can do, but is it possible to set up a shortcut to turn on/off silent mode and multi-finger gestures (e.g. pinch to close) at the same time?

Ideal situation is: Turn off gestures, turn off Silent mode, open a specific app (Voez or Arcaea probably), and then when that app closed turn gestures and Silent mode back on.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

This might be beyond what Shortcuts can do, but is it possible to set up a shortcut to turn on/off silent mode and multi-finger gestures (e.g. pinch to close) at the same time?

Ideal situation is: Turn off gestures, turn off Silent mode, open a specific app (Voez or Arcaea probably), and then when that app closed turn gestures and Silent mode back on.

Silent mode: either enable DND or set system volume

Open an app: "Open App" action

I don't think you can mess with multitouch settings. And I don't think you can have a workflow that says "when this app closes resume the workflow" but I think you can do "launch this app, then wait until user goes back into workflow before continuing." I think it's called "wait to return."

So tentatively something like this might work:

code:
enable DND mode
open catbuttsgame.app
wait to return
disable DND mode
e: Maybe there's a way to change accessibility settings to enable guided access mode or something.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

Silent mode: either enable DND or set system volume

Open an app: "Open App" action

I don't think you can mess with multitouch settings. And I don't think you can have a workflow that says "when this app closes resume the workflow" but I think you can do "launch this app, then wait until user goes back into workflow before continuing." I think it's called "wait to return."

So tentatively something like this might work:

code:
enable DND mode
open catbuttsgame.app
wait to return
disable DND mode
e: Maybe there's a way to change accessibility settings to enable guided access mode or something.
The silent mode thing is more that I have it basically permanently on, but most games can't play audio out of the speakers while it's enabled so I need to turn it off before I play (cuz I ain't gonna play a rhythm game with AirPod lag!) for DND doesn't really fix that.

Hopefully deeper Settings scripting is something they'll add in the future!

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Shortcuts chat: is there a way to get Choose From Menu/Show Alert/anything similar to pop up on top of an app besides Shortcuts? I want Waze to open and then a prompt to ask me my screen brightness, but so far the only way I've gotten it to work is to have the prompt open in the workflow before Waze is launched. If it's put after the open app command, I have to switch back to Shortcuts to view it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Shortcuts chat: is there a way to get Choose From Menu/Show Alert/anything similar to pop up on top of an app besides Shortcuts? I want Waze to open and then a prompt to ask me my screen brightness, but so far the only way I've gotten it to work is to have the prompt open in the workflow before Waze is launched. If it's put after the open app command, I have to switch back to Shortcuts to view it.

I’m not sure it’s possible to do that right now but hopefully you can in the future. What are you trying to do exactly that the prompt needs to be shown inside the Waze app?

This will open up an app, switch back to Shortcut to ask for brightness, and then switch back to the app. Though I’m not sure why you’d add that first extra step of opening the app first.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m not sure it’s possible to do that right now but hopefully you can in the future. What are you trying to do exactly that the prompt needs to be shown inside the Waze app?

It's not at all necessary, but I would like to let Waze do its startup/connecting to server routine in the background while the rest of the script runs. Your workaround would take care of this, a bit clumsy but looks like it's the best Shortcuts is capable of right now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

It's not at all necessary, but I would like to let Waze do its startup/connecting to server routine in the background while the rest of the script runs. Your workaround would take care of this, a bit clumsy but looks like it's the best Shortcuts is capable of right now.

You might want to add a "Wait for x seconds" action in between opening Waze and jumping back to shortcuts then, just to give it some time to connect to the server etc in case it can't be done while it's backgrounded.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wish Apple would remove some of the restrictions on third party browsers, I want to use Chrome but I also want content blocking and the good javascript engine

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’ve switched to Castro from Overcast now for my podcasting needs. Overcast is great, don’t get me wrong, but there are lots of little things that bother me that that add up.

Here’s what Castro does that Overcast can’t:

- Castro lets me star/favorite episodes to find/relisten later on without making me sign into Twitter. I’m not even sure why I need to link my Twitter account and refuse to do so just to find out. The wording makes it sound like it’s only to get recommendations … which I don’t want.

- Overcast works more on a “subscribe to podcasts and janitor them into playlists that you play” model while Castro is a “here’s an inbox with all the poo poo you’ve subscribed to, pick the ones you actually wanna listen to and get rid of the rest” model. I understand that I can do the same thing in Overcast with a “inbox” and “queue” playlist, but you have to manually remove the episode from your inbox list while Castro does it automatically.

- Castro keeps a list of all the episodes I’ve listened to broken down by podcast. If you “archived” an episode you didn’t want to listen to then it doesn’t mark it in the history. So it’s easy to go back and find an old episode you’ve listened to. Overcast just shows you a list of all the episodes a podcast has and tells you in small text whether you’ve played it or not. No way to filter for only played episodes.

- Castro’s podcast discovery is pretty good. I’ve found some things to listen to from it. It’s got more podcasts than Overcast does.

- Overcast has a lot of Siri Shortcut things, more than Castro, but Castro has the one thing that I “need”: play my podcasts but with a sleep timer. I can’t believe I can’t set sleep timers for Overcast through shortcuts.

Anyway I also never liked how Overcast looked but that’s really subjective. I think Castro is worth a try if you can stomach the subscription model.

Anyway on an unrelated note re:

Proteus Jones posted:

This doesn’t work for long durations. I haven’t found the threshold for this but even setting a wait for 300 seconds action times the thing out. I was hoping to set up a Siri shortcut that would turn off my lights except for one in my bedroom via HomeKit, set my screen brightness and volume and start playing a podcast, dim the lights after 5 minutes, and turn them off after another 25 minutes; all after hearing me say “start my bedtime routine” or something.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

What if you stacked sequential "Waits" of shorter duration?

Or is it the entire shortcut itself that times out?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

What if you stacked sequential "Waits" of shorter duration?

Or is it the entire shortcut itself that times out?

I can’t tell where it times out. All I see is that my lights don’t dim after 5 minutes but does if I set it to like 30s. I can try chaining durations together though with a loop to see how that works.

E: I don’t think it’s timing out. I think it just can’t be done in the background like this. Setting it to even 5 seconds doesn’t work if I swipe back to the home page or open up an app.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 20, 2018

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyway on an unrelated note re:

This doesn’t work for long durations. I haven’t found the threshold for this but even setting a wait for 300 seconds action times the thing out. I was hoping to set up a Siri shortcut that would turn off my lights except for one in my bedroom via HomeKit, set my screen brightness and volume and start playing a podcast, dim the lights after 5 minutes, and turn them off after another 25 minutes; all after hearing me say “start my bedtime routine” or something.

Not a general purpose solution, but for this specific situation can’t you do the timing of the lights via a HomeKit scene (or scene+automation)?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
For some reason, a specific app I want to open with Shortcuts (Arcaea) isn't listed. I can open every other app I think except for this one - is there any reason for this?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Kalman posted:

Not a general purpose solution, but for this specific situation can’t you do the timing of the lights via a HomeKit scene (or scene+automation)?

HomeKit automations are for things like leaving/coming home, physical button triggers, and setting scheduled events. I don’t have physical buttons and I don’t want to make this happen everyday at a certain time.

HomeKit scenes are just saved preset states. I’m actually using the “run a HomeKit scene” for this. One to turn on the light I want, another one to dim it, and a third one to shut it off. It’s clunky.

Hopefully the official Hue app gets updated to support scripting. Or one of the 3rd party apps get updated to support Shortcuts.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Lol that now whenever Music or App Store has a no connection warning I have to force quit it to get it to reach out again. Good job iOS12

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there anyway to make Siri not say “running your shortcut” and “okay” (at the end)?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You can disable it completely when paired to headphones but not when there’s nothing connected to the phone and you’re using Hey Siri.

If you manually activate Siri (hold home button or the right side button on and X/XS), you can get it disabled completely.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

Stocard does exactly what you want, but it's not intuitive. Open a card, hit "Share", then "Add to Apple Wallet".

I just tried this, and for some reason it doesn’t give me the option to add to Apple Wallet.

E: Apple Wallet doesn’t support certain barcodes, which of course are the ones I’m trying to add, so StoCard doesn’t give me the option to add them.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 21, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok this is making me crazy. Does anyone know how the hell you fix this?

I’ve deleted and reinstalled and checked everything possible and the stupid 1 doesn’t go away.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Ok this is making me crazy. Does anyone know how the hell you fix this?

I’ve deleted and reinstalled and checked everything possible and the stupid 1 doesn’t go away.

Load up Waze, hit the magnifying glass to bring up the side bar and you’ll see your username. Hit that and you’ll get an Inbox button. Your messages will be in there.

If that doesn't work, you can go into Settings > Notifications > Waze and turn off badges

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Load up Waze, hit the magnifying glass to bring up the side bar and you’ll see your username. Hit that and you’ll get an Inbox button. Your messages will be in there.

If that doesn't work, you can go into Settings > Notifications > Waze and turn off badges

Ok thanks I’ve cleared out the messages but I’ll just disable the badges.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

DigitalRaven posted:

empty baggie posted:

I just tried this, and for some reason it doesn’t give me the option to add to Apple Wallet.

E: Apple Wallet doesn’t support certain barcodes, which of course are the ones I’m trying to add, so StoCard doesn’t give me the option to add them.

Yeah same for me. I guess the card(s) I want to add have the wrong barcode style then. I really don’t understand this because how hard it is to scan a barcode and then recreate the barcode digitally? If I can take a picture of the thing and a checkout scanner can scan it then I just don’t understand why I couldn’t add it to wallet.

But anyway now that I have my XS set up, what are some apps/games that really show off the X/XS? When I had my 6S I thought I remembered seeing every other app having “true black” modes for the OLED screen but now that I have one I can’t find those apps anymore.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Any way to get Siri to play a requested overcast podcast now?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

Any way to get Siri to play a requested overcast podcast now?

Yeah, but given the way Siri shortcuts work, it doesn't work quite the same way you'd probably like. There's two approaches:

1. In Overcast's settings, you can set up a Siri phrase for each individual podcast
2. Or you can use a Shortcut like this one. The downside to this one is you can't just say "Play X", you have to say "Overcast play menu" or whatever to invoke the shortcut, then you'll be prompted to say the name of the podcast.

Edit: I found that shortcut online, and apparently it doesn't even work the way I thought. It's hard coded for a few specific podcasts, so you probably have to go with approach number 1

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 22, 2018

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Am I alone in thinking Shortcuts is kind of awful? Like the workflows you can create are really powerful, but the ways you have to trigger them are incredibly clunky. I found one that opens Twitter URLs in Tweetbot, for example, and I expected it to either work natively in Safari (i.e. I navigate to Twitter and it automatically opens in Tweetbot), or to have an "Open in Tweetbot" button in the share sheet. But instead I have to drill down through the Shortcuts icon in share sheet and select it there, which is like...not any more convenient than just copying the URL. And then once you select the shortcut it weirdly follows all the steps as they're triggered, and like...why? Why not just do the thing?

Granted, this is a simple example, and for more complex workflows it's obviously going to save time. But I just can't understand why it's structured this way. It feels rushed as hell.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Am I alone in thinking Shortcuts is kind of awful? Like the workflows you can create are really powerful, but the ways you have to trigger them are incredibly clunky. I found one that opens Twitter URLs in Tweetbot, for example, and I expected it to either work natively in Safari (i.e. I navigate to Twitter and it automatically opens in Tweetbot), or to have an "Open in Tweetbot" button in the share sheet. But instead I have to drill down through the Shortcuts icon in share sheet and select it there, which is like...not any more convenient than just copying the URL. And then once you select the shortcut it weirdly follows all the steps as they're triggered, and like...why? Why not just do the thing?

Granted, this is a simple example, and for more complex workflows it's obviously going to save time. But I just can't understand why it's structured this way. It feels rushed as hell.

Yeah, I'm with you the more I dig into it. It's really just a re-branded, point release of Workflow. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "awful", just underwhelming right now.

It's great for complex multi-step tasks, but I was hoping they'd let you add more automation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I guess it's not "awful" but it just feels very poor from a usability perspective and in no way integrated into the OS. The way it goes about adding a shortcut to the home screen feels like a third party app.