Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I made up this little rhyme after watching the guide 'no spins move in' which would be a really good rhyme had it been correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Your friendly neighbourhood catte here once more to post pictures of cattes.

Imitating penguins.

Cattes on adventure.

RDM LB3 will forever be the coolest one.

But in general, I'm weak for the style of this game.

Game is good and fun. Suzaku's extreme Simon Says with EU lag playing on NA can go gently caress itself, however :suicide:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What gets me isn't starboard/larboard it's mentally adjusting to the backswing because now you're moving to his left/right instead of yours

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Stalins Moustache posted:

Game is good and fun. Suzaku's extreme Simon Says with EU lag playing on NA can go gently caress itself, however :suicide:

hi c'anha

Finished Alpha 4.0 tonight. I'm not sure if my group was just supremely competent or what but it felt way easy. So far I'd say 2.0 was hardest, then 1.0 and 3.0 are tied (but only because I am bad at left/right), then 4.0. LUCKILY 4.0 is redeemed by having the goddamn best music and cutscenes and aaa it was great and I loved it

e: typo

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 22, 2018

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Lucky you. I got stuck with pubbies that could not handle the mechanics. 2 different groups, 30 minutes of attempts apiece. Got to twin phase 3 times.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
My guess with Varis is that he's just straight up a true believer in the whole Garlean supremacy mythos, detached from it's true meaning as a propaganda tool by the Ascians, and is getting real fed up with them using him, his stupid dead insane son, and his people to further their own agendas and floating in and out of existence like they're better than him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

berenzen posted:

Lucky you. I got stuck with pubbies that could not handle the mechanics. 2 different groups, 30 minutes of attempts apiece. Got to twin phase 3 times.

You would not believe how many O9 groups think it's a good idea to drop a stack marker on top of another stack marker. :suicide:

Skaw posted:

My guess with Varis is that he's just straight up a true believer in the whole Garlean supremacy mythos, detached from it's true meaning as a propaganda tool by the Ascians, and is getting real fed up with them using him, his stupid dead insane son, and his people to further their own agendas and floating in and out of existence like they're better than him.

That seemed to be made pretty clear in 4.4's final cutscene.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
4.4 Lore

Do we know if Solus was originally an Ascian or if he is a Garlean bodyjacked by an Ascian, and if he's bodyjacked do we know when? I know almost nothing of the pre-HW lore and even then I still didn't pay much attention. Could it be possible that Solus made a deal with the Ascians for power after the Garleans got bullied by everyone else in Eorzea? I like the idea that Solus genuinely despised what he saw in The Burn and was willing to make a deal with a higher power, rather than Solus being an Ascian the whole time.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 22, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Playing through the MSQ, and I just gotta say that I always thought Urianger was a seedy gently caress. I'm sure he has some sort of non-evil reason for his actions, but I've had a feeling he'd do some morally dubious stuff ever since his character was introduced.

edit: Ugh, why does this Final Coil of Bahamut group have an ilvl 350 requirement?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 22, 2018

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Playing through the MSQ, and I just gotta say that I always thought Urianger was a seedy gently caress. I'm sure he has some sort of non-evil reason for his actions, but I've had a feeling he'd do some morally dubious stuff ever since his character was introduced.

Never trust an elf.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Ugh, why does this Final Coil of Bahamut group have an ilvl 350 requirement?

Is it maybe an Ultimate Coil of Bahamut group? Because those are two very different things.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Hommando posted:

4.4 Lore

Do we know if Solus was originally an Ascian or if he is a Garlean bodyjacked by an Ascian, and if he's bodyjacked do we know when? I know almost nothing of the pre-HW lore and even then I still didn't pay much attention. Could it be possible that Solus made a deal with the Ascians for power after the Garleans got bullied by everyone else in Eorzea? I like the idea that Solus genuinely despised what he saw in The Burn and was willing to make a deal with a higher power, rather than Solus being an Ascian the whole time.

He breaks some previously established rules. He seems to inhabit his own body and even when killed, revives in said body. My guess is he was a mortal Garlean who became an Ascian, presumably something they/Elidibus can do. He also mentions founding the Garlean Empire explicitly for the Ascians so either he was working for them since before the founding, or has been receiving their assistance but wasn't fully informed of things until some time later. Him getting a chance to take a break from things would explain it somewhat, having worked for them for most of his mortal lifespan. Alternatively, he's a new type of Ascian with its own rules, or the rules we think we've seen established weren't as rigid as we thought.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Whoa, this "False Griffin" guy is that Ala Mhigan dude I got medicine for waaaay back in the ARR MSQ. That's a hell of a callback.

SonicRulez posted:

Is it maybe an Ultimate Coil of Bahamut group? Because those are two very different things.

It said Final, unless there's an Ultimate Final or something.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ytlaya posted:

Whoa, this "False Griffin" guy is that Ala Mhigan dude I got medicine for waaaay back in the ARR MSQ. That's a hell of a callback.

When you first do that quest back when the game is still fresh and new from it's rebirth?

Two and a half IRL years later.

That's one hell of a callback.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 22, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

We managed to glitch out Suzaku Ex somehow so that her enrage got replaced by a regular colors phase. I like to think she did it out of pity for us making GBS threads up that run so badly.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Thundarr posted:

We managed to glitch out Suzaku Ex somehow so that her enrage got replaced by a regular colors phase. I like to think she did it out of pity for us making GBS threads up that run so badly.

I've seen this happen twice, I've also seen the adds spawn immediately after the first jump. I'm not sure if the adds thing is a bug, but I've gone through the first phase a whole lot and have only seen it happen once.

Edit: I just realized that the AOE markers you get during the divebomb can probably spawn the adds. I'm surprised I've only seen this happen once.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 22, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This Nael fight I did earlier is the first fight I've done with mechanics that strict. I'm still not totally sure on the mechanics, since I thought I understood it but ended up dying. I remember the green meteors went into the three center circles and the red ones should be spread out along the outside edge, but then there was also a red arrow and stuff blew up and I died (but the remaining living people were able to finish it).

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hommando posted:

Edit: I just realized that the AOE markers you get during the divebomb can probably spawn the adds. I'm surprised I've only seen this happen once.

Yep, they can. It doesn't happen that often because people are out of the middle for divebombs anyway

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

If history must be changed, and we're going to Garlemald next expansion, are we finally going to give Cid his goggles?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Arboretium Hard seems like a very forgettable dungeon

like some of the mechanics are cool but when you're coming out against Suzaku/The Burn/Alphascape, there's just not enough there

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Arboretum Hard isn't the worst dungeon ever, but being poop themed and full of bag-of-hp giant enemies definitely leaves it as the least good combat content added this patch.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Thundarr posted:

This tripped me up in a party I was allegedly teaching how to do the fight. We figured what happens is if you get her under 10% before she hits enrage you get another phase of orbs to help you out.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I just loving realized Alphinaud, or perhaps future-Alphinaud, must have been the caller. We don't see any sort of reaction from him to the calling, even though we know distance did not impede the act at all.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Arboretum Hard isn't the worst dungeon ever, but being poop themed and full of bag-of-hp giant enemies definitely leaves it as the least good combat content added this patch.
The poop theme is incredibly good, especially the part where you have to wash the poop off of them, and the poop ball mechanic on the final boss. The trash pulls do suck though

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
The pubs I had within the first few hours of the patch all did Alphascape 1-4 fine blind. Wiped a few times(except vs Chaos, he was surprisingly weak) but we figured out what killed us and got past it every time.

Except for those times I managed to bodily rip hate onto my DRG, I still do not understand how I was managing to pull that off.

edit: it feels like new content was made for Elusive Jump, the area size and AoEs just seems to click? Anyone else noticing this?

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 22, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ytlaya posted:

This Nael fight I did earlier is the first fight I've done with mechanics that strict. I'm still not totally sure on the mechanics, since I thought I understood it but ended up dying. I remember the green meteors went into the three center circles and the red ones should be spread out along the outside edge, but then there was also a red arrow and stuff blew up and I died (but the remaining living people were able to finish it).

As you advance further through the MSQ and do more modern content, you usually have between 1.5-2.5 chances to mess up a mechanic. There's a few "walls" where you can feel the designers asking you very specifically "DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE MECHANICS!?"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Y'know I think I already knew this but Alphascape pretty much confirmed to me that the Ironworks are the best characters in the game. Nero and Alpha better join up with them again come next expansion or else I am going to be extremely upset. Also Omega should become an employee, I don't care that they're dead.

Omega is probably among my favourite content in the game actually. These new raids weren't too hard but they were really fun fights. V4 was maybe a bit too straightforward for the final Omega raid but it was such a spectacle I didn't mind. Omega was really good!

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I just loving realized Alphinaud, or perhaps future-Alphinaud, must have been the caller. We don't see any sort of reaction from him to the calling, even though we know distance did not impede the act at all.

I've heard this theory but I've never thought of that second part which makes it far more likely. People who use JP voices say the soul caller sounds like Alphinaud.

:asoiaf:

Alternatively it's someone from the future calling to the Scions but only the ones that survive can hear the voice and get their souls extracted. RIP Tataru.
:tinfoil:

Hommando fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 22, 2018

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Maybe we get a Days of Future Past style story with Alphinaud.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

With the whole WOD arc and the fact he seems to know way more about many things than he lets on - and other Scions seem to know that - a bunch of people think he's boring but I personally hope he actually ends up being more than a scholar. It's like he's actually playing against Elidibus or someone higher.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The vibe I got from that thing you're all talking about in the 4.4 msq is:

That it was Zodiark trying to contact you. He was able to pluck out Thancred and Shtola because their aether was all hosed up. I suspect Urianger also got some Ascian spooge on him while he was playing Mr. Edgelord. It would not surprise me if Zodiark is essentially the same entity as Hydalaen but the two are fundamentally incapable of communicating, and that the Ascians are basically using Zodiark as an excuse to do whatever the gently caress they want. It would not shock me if you earn the Blessing of Darkness in the course of 5.0.

I sort of wonder how much of what we got told is going to turn out to be bullshit. If the Burn is really because the Allag unplugged the area's aether in order to levitate out big chunks of it to be floating sky islands, rather than because of primals despoiling the land, maybe primals DON'T despoil the land!

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Nessus posted:

The vibe I got from that thing you're all talking about in the 4.4 msq is:

maybe primals DON'T despoil the land!

You're friends with some of the most aether sensitive people in the world who have confirmed that primals do drain the land of aether.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Hommando posted:

You're friends with some of the most aether sensitive people in the world who have confirmed that primals do drain the land of aether.

Alexander was visibly loving up the area around it from its Aetherdrainage.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Groggy nard posted:

Alexander was visibly loving up the area around it from its Aetherdrainage.

Alexander even says it himself iirc

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe we get a Days of Future Past style story with Alphinaud.

If time travel is involved, I want to see Adult Alphinaud and Adult Alisaie

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

ChickenWing posted:

Arboretium Hard seems like a very forgettable dungeon

like some of the mechanics are cool but when you're coming out against Suzaku/The Burn/Alphascape, there's just not enough there

I think the main problem is the music. The original Arboretum dungeon had absolutely wonderful music that made for a relaxing decent into a nice little nature preserve. It was nice and cozy. Arboretum Hard has this scratchy, warped copy of it that's meant to be all, "OoOoOoOoh, there's something wrong with the trees", but all it accomplishes is forcing me to mute my BGM and put something else on for the duration of the dungeon.

I mean, I get to that point with every dungeon, but never on the first run.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h7KyokeLmM i really like FFXIV's music

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Between this and the other Ivalice stuff getting brought up in the MSQ, i'm super stoked about where things might be going.

One thing that does bother me is that Ala Mhigo seems like an afterthought at this point. I like Doma and the Azim Steppe, but trying to spread narrative arcs across two disparate portions of the world hasn't done much in service of the story. It'll be nearly a year before (or if) we have any update on Ala Mhigo and Fordola's story and it's dampened my excitement to see where that story is going. It's also a shame that due to this, it'll be years before we get more development and exploration in Othard. I doubt we'll see Hingashi or Nagxia any time soon.

I really like Stormblood, but I hope they've learned some lessons and choose not to split the story between two continents again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Made the mistake of dabbling with THM, and now I can't decide between it and continuing with scholar, arrrgh.