Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is a weird game. I would never have expected the guys who made the DmC reboot to go on to create a fairly mature story about psychosis as their very next game.

it's also one of those games with a great photo mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hellblade has the best load screen I've ever seen in a game. Senua walks up to a flat piece of scenery with a shiny patch on it and looks at her reflection. The camera moves in until the patch and her reflected face are all you can see, holds there for a short time, and then without any cuts or interruptions pulls back out and now the scenery and Senua are someplace entirely different.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Pastry of the Year posted:

The screenshot is from Chris Crawford's Balance of Power - I'd never heard of that phone number wrinkle, but it feels exactly like something he would have done.

That said, nothing I can find backs this up, although the insanely long document Crawford wrote to accompany a re-release of the game is pretty neat and makes the points he intended to make explicit.

E: I miss the days when games manuals had three-page bibliographies. I used to take the spiral-bound SimEarth manual to school to read in between obligations.

I always loved how in Rise of Nations, the RISK style meta-game ends with everyone losing if too many nukes are used, with a doomsday clock countdown and everything.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wolfenstein 2 was a good game. Shameit was apparently a disappointment sales wise.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Kruller posted:

I always loved how in Rise of Nations, the RISK style meta-game ends with everyone losing if too many nukes are used, with a doomsday clock countdown and everything.

It wasn't just the campaign, individual skirmish/multiplayer maps had the doomsday counter for nukes on by default.

It was often turned off in multiplayer though because otherwise a viable move if you were losing would be to launch enough nukes to trigger the counter so that everyone loses instead.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It wasn't just the campaign, individual skirmish/multiplayer maps had the doomsday counter for nukes on by default.

It was often turned off in multiplayer though because otherwise a viable move if you were losing would be to launch enough nukes to trigger the counter so that everyone loses instead.

But that's, like, actually the case

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Let's just hope that we never have a nuclear power that would rather destroy everything than concede defeat. Rage-quitting has serious consequences in the real world.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Let's just hope that we never have a nuclear power that would rather destroy everything than concede defeat. Rage-quitting has serious consequences in the real world.

Google the Samson Option.

This is my government.

:smith:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Wolfenstein 2 was a good game. Shameit was apparently a disappointment sales wise.
The worst thing about that game was that because of the actual IRL nazis giving it poo poo I didn't find out what an incredibly lovely and boring game it is until it's stride near midgame

The game didn't run on a bunch of computers and the choice of having your protagonist dying, while thematically great, meant that combat was way too often an irritating chore

This isn't the complaining about games thread though, so I'll stop here but drat, that game really had some hella dumb choices inbetween great setpieces

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is a weird game. I would never have expected the guys who made the DmC reboot to go on to create a fairly mature story about psychosis as their very next game.

it's also one of those games with a great photo mode.

Legit one of the best audio experiences I've ever witnessed.

If you have really good headphones play that game. It made me feel real uneasy at times.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Black Mesa: The giant loving laser in Questionable Ethics is way too much fun to use for a one-off puzzle solution. I kind of wish there were more things you could do/stuff you could vaporize with it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

oldpainless posted:

We're in an era where killing Nazis and people in the KKK and having black people help you do so is apparently controversial and SJW now so it doesn't surprise me that it did poorly.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

JebanyPedal posted:

We're in an era where killing Nazis and people in the KKK and having black people help you do so is apparently controversial and SJW now so it doesn't surprise me that it did poorly.

internet whiners aren't *that* powerful, it's more that people generally don't like single-player-only games

it also had its flaws, such as being too goddamn hard. yeah you could just play it on easy but they even patched the difficulty

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

JebanyPedal posted:

Except the first one did really well. The New Collossus had a lot of really noticeable flaws and a much weaker story; there wasn't some dastardly plot to ruin its reputation.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Safeword posted:

Except the first one did really well. The New Collossus had a lot of really noticeable flaws and a much weaker story; there wasn't some dastardly plot to ruin its reputation.

The point to me in games like that is that you're an unstoppable murder machine. The New Order did that really well, DOOM 2016 did it even better. The New Colossus deliberately weakened you and took that part of the game away, and it suffered as a result. Also, some of the levels were just brown corridors that had been moved away from in shooters like it for a good reason.

Nothing ideological about it (it's ideology was :discourse: by the way, murdering racist shitheads was super great fun when it worked) it just didn't work nearly as well as the games that came before it.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
It was fun watching the rapid descent from hmm I wonder why you dislike the game that has killing you nazis :smug:, to oh poo poo it is actually pretty bad with TNC.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wolfenstein 2 is a game where a white woman slaps a black woman for being skeptical that she, a lifelong Nazi elite who only defected to their side in a moment of crisis to spite her mother and has largely been the butt of fat jokes and comically incompetent the entire game, might not be as dedicated to their cause as freedom fighters who have spent their entire lives under the yoke of oppression and this is depicted as a good and correct thing. I don't know how people who look at Mankind Divided's eurocentric take on refugees and immigration with an undercurrent of ableism and mental illness stigma and dismiss it as simple "robot racism" but cheer the game where a topless pregnant woman orgasming with two machine guns and then turning a willingly subjugated population into a violent uprising with a two-minute TED Talk is the climax of the game as some deep and very smart game that really says a lot about society if you think about it.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I dunno. I'm kinda sold after you wrote that tbh

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yeah that sounds like it rules and I'm sad that I don't have anything that can run TNC

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Guy you should write about things you hate for a living because you are so bad at it it actually makes people intrigued at the thing.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Guy Mann posted:

Wolfenstein 2 is a game where a white woman slaps a black woman for being skeptical that she, a lifelong Nazi elite who only defected to their side in a moment of crisis to spite her mother and has largely been the butt of fat jokes and comically incompetent the entire game, might not be as dedicated to their cause as freedom fighters who have spent their entire lives under the yoke of oppression and this is depicted as a good and correct thing. I don't know how people who look at Mankind Divided's eurocentric take on refugees and immigration with an undercurrent of ableism and mental illness stigma and dismiss it as simple "robot racism" but cheer the game where a topless pregnant woman orgasming with two machine guns and then turning a willingly subjugated population into a violent uprising with a two-minute TED Talk is the climax of the game as some deep and very smart game that really says a lot about society if you think about it.

Some Planck temperature takes up in here.

Wolfenstein 2 is a game where a lifelong victim of abuse finally snaps back after being routinely degraded, mistrusted and despised by the people she gave up her entire life and family (abusive and lovely as they were, its still never easy to break free of an abusive family) to help, having proved her worth by literally saving all of their lives but finding that apparently isnt enough. and this is depicted as an interpersonal drama between two people, neither of which any reasonable viewer would consider to represent any kind of monolithic ideology whole and complete. It is a) Possible to be an ex-nazi who has renounced their former hateful ideology, both in real life (see: That tattoo artist who provides cover up for hateful tattoos to ex-nazis for free) and in the game (I think at least 2 of the resistance members in the first game) I dont remember the ex-nazis in the first game having to spend 90% of it proving their worth, and also b) it possible for a person to be subsumed by the authoritarian society that has overtaken their country without agreeing with it. Not every american is an immigrant child stealing trump supporter, not every person living under the soviet union was a die hard communist, not every resident of germany from 1939-1945 held nazi beliefs. Despite the "nazi pope" jokes, you know why Ratzinger never got any actual poo poo for being a for-real member of the hitler youth? Because he was a child and in that place at that time children werent given a lot of choice about that sort of thing. Someone whose parent was a literal member of Nazi high command would have even less choice, which ties in quite well to the games themes. When presented with a chance to break free and take an alternative path, she took it.

I remember the other spoilered scene, but I dont remember it involving an orgasm. It is possible thats just you. She does really like killing nazis, but thats been a feature of her character since the first game.

And "Willingly Subjugated"? I guess if you base your idea of the population of the US in Wolfenstein on the KKK members in that one level, sure. If you instead base your idea on a mixture of them and all the other individuals you see, hear and read about in the game then not so much. The "spark that lights the fire of revolution" trope is a loving well worn one, and if your complaint was its a little cliched then I'd agree. But its done well here, and if anything is going to spark an uprising then a reported dead revolutionary hero killing one of the highest ranking members of the occupying force live on television and suffering no repercussions would probably do it. Just because you've never persuaded anyone of anything doesnt mean its literally impossible.

I mean, I liked Wolf 2 pretty well, it wasnt as good as the new order, but was better than The Old Blood. Its not particularly deep, because its a video game and story is almost always going to come a distant second to gameplay. But it makes an effort and has a bunch of good stuff in it, which puts it easily in the top half of video game stories. I'd say it was good, but not quite as clever as it thought it was being at times, and the first half of the game drags on too long. And the courtroom scene, jesus gently caress what the hell they were thinking about with that difficulty spike I will never know. Second half of the game, and the personal story aspects with BJ pretty much all landed for me though. Ending was a little abrupt, I didnt realise the final boss fight was the final boss fight until after I completed it.

I'm not going to argue Mankind Divided one way or the other, because I played the first couple of missions and just drifted away from it, there was nothing there that hooked me in, and I'm someone who really liked the previous game. Maybe it gets better further in, but it felt like a real slow start and I had other stuff to play.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The only good story moments in TNC were all related to Wyatt tripping on acid the whole game. Also Super Spesh’s death which had me cackling like a lunatic

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue posted:

Hellblade has the best load screen I've ever seen in a game. Senua walks up to a flat piece of scenery with a shiny patch on it and looks at her reflection. The camera moves in until the patch and her reflected face are all you can see, holds there for a short time, and then without any cuts or interruptions pulls back out and now the scenery and Senua are someplace entirely different.

I know God of War gets a lot of attention for its single-take camera, which is totally deserved because that must have been expensive as hell in a game of its size, but Hellblade did the same thing eight months earlier and it's way more thematically relevant to the character and story, with better disguised cheats.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I got Wolfenstein 2 on PS4 when it was on sale for 27 bucks and came with a copy of DOOM 2016 and that felt like a good price. It definitely had some problems gameplay-wise, but I generally had a good time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I got Wolf2 on black Friday for $25 and had fun with it but when I finished it I traded it in for more than I paid and got Monster Hunter World and don't really regret it

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Wolfenstein 2 improved a lot for me when I just gave in and put it on the easiest difficulty setting

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

GelatinSkeleton posted:

Wolfenstein 2 improved a lot for me when I just gave in and put it on the easiest difficulty setting

Yeah, for a game that's ostensibly about going on a constant mad Nazi-murder rampage, you're remarkably fragile for the first part of the game. Sure, it does fit thematically, but I wanna get my Nazi-murder on good and proper, and not be stuck having to carefully sneak about because a couple hits will down me right away.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

A friend got me Wolf 2 for my birthday but it won't run on my PC, my graphics card is just a titch to weak for it and I can't really fit a beefier one in the case. :(

ANYHOW, on a different subject, "Games I've Bought Because Of This Thread", The Sabotuer is on sale for $3 on GoG!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Agents are GO! posted:

ANYHOW, on a different subject, "Games I've Bought Because Of This Thread", The Sabotuer is on sale for $3 on GoG!

can you get the boobies in it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, for a game that's ostensibly about going on a constant mad Nazi-murder rampage, you're remarkably fragile for the first part of the game. Sure, it does fit thematically, but I wanna get my Nazi-murder on good and proper, and not be stuck having to carefully sneak about because a couple hits will down me right away.

It's weirdly restrained about killing nazis too. Like you can blast an unarmored nazi's head point blank with two triple shotguns simultaneously, and 80% of the time the reaction is limply ragdolling to the ground.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Digirat posted:

It's weirdly restrained about killing nazis too. Like you can blast an unarmored nazi's head point blank with two triple shotguns simultaneously, and 80% of the time the reaction is limply ragdolling to the ground.

Anyone making mods for DOOM 2016? Import Nazi models, or just add little armbands and hats to the demons.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

codenameFANGIO posted:

can you get the boobies in it

Yes, the boobie DLC is included in the PC release. Why does it even exist? Really banking hard on horny teenagers who don't have internet in 2009, I guess.

Edit: But how would they have gotten this DLC if they didn't have internet? I did not think this joke through.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Any chance GOG worked their magic to fix the map bug?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mierenneuker posted:

Yes, the boobie DLC is included in the PC release. Why does it even exist? Really banking hard on horny teenagers who don't have internet in 2009, I guess.

Edit: But how would they have gotten this DLC if they didn't have internet? I did not think this joke through.

It comes from the time of Day One passes to thwart the dastardly scourge of of second-hand games.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I believe it was to dodge an AO rating but that could be hearsay. Nudity was scrutinized a lot more heavily then. It was free dlc so it wasn't to make a buck.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

HPanda posted:

Any chance GOG worked their magic to fix the map bug?

Yeah it's fixed.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I loved The Saboteur to the extent that I completely cleared the map on three separate systems over the years. There's just something about planting explosives all over an installation while disguised then blowing the whole thing up. For little things, I loved that they included Le Havre as well, the map is tiny but feels nicely different to Paris.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

I believe it was to dodge an AO rating but that could be hearsay. Nudity was scrutinized a lot more heavily then. It was free dlc so it wasn't to make a buck.

Nah, it cost money if you didn't buy the game new. It was what Neddy Seagoon was saying, it was from the time of "Project 10 Dollar" where games were coming with a one use code to discourage used sales. The most frequent use of the code was locking up the multiplayer mode. IIRC EA was the one who started it but other companies picked it up before it eventually just fell by the wayside.

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 14:50 on Sep 23, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muscles like this! posted:

Nah, it cost money if you didn't buy the game new. It was what Neddy Seagoon was saying, it was from the time of "Project 10 Dollar" where games were coming with a one use code to discourage used sales. The most frequent use of the code was locking up the multiplayer mode. IIRC EA was the one who started it but other companies picked it up before it eventually just fell by the wayside.

I think what probably killed it is the realization that second-hand games just aren't making the revenue for Gamestop developers initially feared they were. Gamestop/EB Games clearly still firmly believe second games will somehow continuously circulate through them and make them money, but more often than not it just means they're losing shelf space to games that simply won't clear out anywhere close to the same rate as new copies. Especially when they're generally titles that are either A: Crap, or B: priced to be just slightly lower than retail for a new copy and people just spend the extra on the new one instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I really liked Wolf 2. The low-health/high-armor setup you had at the early parts of the game was kind of annoying at times but it wasn't too bad. It wasn't hard to find armor or anything and it did fit in with the game's plot. It wasn't like you had to spend the first 20 levels rolling around in the wheelchair from level 1. Didn't think it was TOO hard overall either. The courtroom scene was really hard to beat the first time but after you get past it, it became a fun little setpiece to retry whenever you want.

Also as a Jewish guy with a similar background to BJ (minus Texas and the, uh, evil dad) I was pretty hyped to have BJ finally revealed as Jewish in canon especially after they spent so much time on the wishy-washy "oh well maybe he's Jewish who can even say!!" approach in the past few releases. It made the family stuff land really well for me.

It's not as good as The New Order was, the game probably could have done with more dev time, and the plot and characters are sometimes way too broad and corny, but I don't regret buying it at all