Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

It’s like 4:30am and I should be sleeping but noooooo I’m in the gym.

I hate this work schedule.

Squats and OHP are good though.

What’s your work schedule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

What’s your work schedule?

6 am - 4pm but that 4 pm can turn into 8pm so I have to go in the morning or I risk missing going in the afternoon.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

6 am - 4pm but that 4 pm can turn into 8pm so I have to go in the morning or I risk missing going in the afternoon.

Gotcha, my schedule is 7 am - 3:30 pm but I can run late as well and lift in the afternoon. I was thinking of switching back to morning but I’d have to be up by 4:30am...

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the best bench variation is to not bench

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bench to improve your shoulder stabilizers for OHP imo

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mustached Demon posted:

Bench to improve your pecs for extreme leaning back OHP imo

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

MikeCrotch posted:

alan thrall took a MAGA chud turn recently iirc

Where was this?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

MikeCrotch posted:

I already bench or do bench accessories 4 times a week so

and no ohp doesn't count as a bench accessory

or does it?

You bench 4 times a week?

Why man

Maybe teh science has changed but you have to rest to build strength and muscle. Doing any muscle group 4 times a week is a bit overkill

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Zzulu posted:

Why man

Maybe teh science has changed but you have to rest to build strength and muscle. Doing any muscle group 4 times a week is a bit overkill

Eh, some of the best powerlifters around here bench like 6 times per week. Apparently there's a pretty strong case for high-frequency training, if you take a certain amount of total weekly volume and spread it over a greater number of shorter workouts you see more gains.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The best powerlifters all do steroids

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zzulu posted:

Why man

I need a shitton of bench volume to see results my man, so I gotta spread that poo poo out

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Maybe you need less!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

RTS programing will have you benching or pressing six times a week. Usually Monday will be comp bench and then paused variation, Tuesday will be some overload (slingshot, chains, bands, floor press), Thursday will be touch and go and overhead and Friday some heavy triceps work, close grip usually.

Also they're generally separated into four categories that run their own rep scheme so you're not doing sets of heavy doubles six times a week and destroying your elbows.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Guyver posted:

RTS programing will have you benching or pressing six times a week. Usually Monday will be comp bench and then paused variation, Tuesday will be some overload (slingshot, chains, bands, floor press), Thursday will be touch and go and overhead and Friday some heavy triceps work, close grip usually.

Also they're generally separated into four categories that run their own rep scheme so you're not doing sets of heavy doubles six times a week and destroying your elbows.

This is what I get when i google RTS programming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL2UZXNlVCs

So unfortunately I don't know what it means

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Reactive Training Systems. It's the coaching company Mike Tuchscherer founded.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
yeah I should point out i'm doing a mix of grips/exercises/weights throughout the week

i'm not just BENCH MAX ERRY DAY whenever i'm in the gym or anything

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Trap bar deads are the ultimate glute demolisher. My rear end is in Hell.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Defiant Sally posted:

But think how heavenly it will look in a few months.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Defiant Sally posted:

Speaking of....

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

quote:

Trap Bar Deadlifts are Underrated

Trap bar deadlifts allow for more flexibility in the movement, higher velocity and power output, and are safer and easier to learn for a lot of people.

I’m a bit ashamed to admit that I used to be a barbell purist. I’m not sure how the idea got lodged in my head, but I spent quite a few years working with the assumption that barbell exercises were always (or almost always) superior to their biomechanically similar, non-barbell counterparts. It took me way too long to realize and accept that trap bar deadlifts are a superior option for most people in most contexts than the straight bar deadlift. Both research and my own self-experimentation helped me see the light.

This article will compare and contrast the trap bar and straight bar deadlifts and make a pitch for the trap bar deadlift as the better option for the majority of lifters.

Really good article. I used to just do Sumo but I've moved to the trap bar and it works so much better for me. My DL isn' poo poo (315 as of Thursday) but it just works so much better for me its not even funny. I am 100% not going to compete ever so the trap bar works.

Trap bar is also what I use for my farmers carries too so I love me some trap bar.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chinatown posted:

the best bench variation is to not bench

bench is absolutely a meme lift

squat jerk is the shoulder lift of the gods

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWkwbwMlHmg/

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Finally back in the gym, almost a year since I hurt myself deadlifting. I did trap bar deads today too! Did 2 plates, my glutes aren't feeling sore at all!
But now my back hurts. It was only 2 plates...

Maybe if i keep it at 1 plate for a while I'll be able deadlift again eventually...

Side note, went to the showers and a dude was drying off in his stall ... curtain open, dick facing out, staring at people.

Man I missed the gym.

(E: I didn't just start back at 2 plates, I've been in the gym again for a couple weeks and started empty, then with one plate, then one and a half, then 3 sets at 2.
I may have also tried 2.5 plates and done a few, but then decided to kick it back down...)

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 22, 2018

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Defiant Sally posted:

Handles up or down?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Finally back in the gym, almost a year since I hurt myself deadlifting. I did trap bar deads today too! Did 2 plates, my glutes aren't feeling sore at all!
But now my back hurts. It was only 2 plates...

If it's been almost a year maybe it's just sore muscles, but I'm not a doctor and don't know the extent of your back injuries. I'm running 5/3/1 and my AMRAP deadlift set leaves my erectors sore as hell the next day, but my glutes and hams feel pretty good.

Until I do weighted back raises. gently caress weighted back raises.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I did trap bar deadlifts for a bit after I shredded my shin on my bike. They seemed fine but I had a hard time finding the exact perfectly centered grip to keep it from tilting.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

ElectricSheep posted:

If it's been almost a year maybe it's just sore muscles, but I'm not a doctor and don't know the extent of your back injuries. I'm running 5/3/1 and my AMRAP deadlift set leaves my erectors sore as hell the next day, but my glutes and hams feel pretty good.

Until I do weighted back raises. gently caress weighted back raises.

Yeah maybe this is just really bad soreness.
I was on muscle relaxers for a while last October because of the back, it wasn't a spine thing - just a muscle thing.

I'll do more and just keep it at 1 plate, just to see how it feels.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I wish my gym had a trap bar, but they think there's no space for it. Meanwhile there's an entire room full of indistinguishable ab machines....

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
trap bar farmer's walks are good too

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

trap bar farmer's walks are good too

Not empty quoting.

If you want to get 100+ per hand its pretty much what you need to use. Trying to use DB's honestly kinda sucks and the Trap bar works so much better.

Also everyone should do Farmers walks they are loving amazing for everything.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I dont have a trap bar at my gym so it's barbells only, final destination

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

In The uk we call it a hexbar that’s my Trivia for the day thx

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Yeah maybe this is just really bad soreness.
I was on muscle relaxers for a while last October because of the back, it wasn't a spine thing - just a muscle thing.

I'll do more and just keep it at 1 plate, just to see how it feels.

I HURT MY BACK! What to do now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riq-DfDDimc

His coach that he refers to is Austin Baraki, a medical doctor who is also a powerlifting coach. The "don't panic and keep moving" approach to pain demonstrated in the video is based on modern pain science, which has demonstrated that pain is actually a neurological defense mechanism and NOT a reliable indicator of the health of your tissues.

"Aches and Pains" by Austin Baraki, MD
https://startingstrength.com/article/aches-and-pains

4 Steps For Managing Pain In The Gym - Austin Baraki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdwj5ORPmX0

Note that since there is on average a 17 year gap between medical research getting published and actually making it into practice if you just show up at a random MD/PT/DC they're probably not going to be up to date and will recommend the usual crap that doesn't work like medical imaging, pills, fear-based activity avoidance ("don't deadlift ever again or you'll hurt your back even worse!!!!"). If your back pain persists or gets worse, I'd recommend doing your research and finding a medical professional who is up to date on modern pain science. I know Barbell Medicine, the company run by Dr. Austin Baraki and another MD, Jordan Feigenbaum, offer online medical consults for lifters if you can't find anyone local.

(E: I didn't just start back at 2 plates, I've been in the gym again for a couple weeks and started empty, then with one plate, then one and a half, then 3 sets at 2.
I may have also tried 2.5 plates and done a few, but then decided to kick it back down...)

It's been a year since you deadlifted and you've been increasing the weight 100 lbs per week?

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

In The uk we call it a hexbar that’s my Trivia for the day thx

well yeah you have a lot of wizards over there right

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Killing Loaf posted:

well yeah you have a lot of wizards over there right

i think hexes are witches lemme grab my dnd manual

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
all this gendered terminology in the magical community is v problematic tbh

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Fallows posted:

i think hexes are witches lemme grab my dnd manual UK phone book

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Killing Loaf posted:

It's been a year since you deadlifted and you've been increasing the weight 100 lbs per week?

Yeah when you read it back it sounds kinda dumb.
I'll keep it light and work back from the ground up. Thanks for the vids, will watch later today.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Uggh, got an awful cold just as I was starting to peak to test maxes.

Telling myself I'll stop feeling like a spastic kitten in a few days....

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love farmers carries. They make your forearms feel like they are going to explode and it is awesome.

Slowly trying to work up to 150 per hand (125 now) 50 yards per walk x 8.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
How hard are those to recover from? I'm thinking about adding some in but I'm not sure if I have much more recovery capacity left right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
They fuckin' wreck me... Like imagine sprint waddling while also carrying what you squat.