Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Yeah man, :justpaint:
Nobody is ever magically super pro at painting right away.
Every jaw dropping picture of a mini ITT is the result of countless hours of practice or an expensive photo setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Groetgaffel posted:

Yeah man, :justpaint:
Nobody is ever magically super pro at painting right away.
Every jaw dropping picture of a mini ITT is the result of countless hours of practice or an expensive photo setup.

Smartphone camera and printer paper background works wonders.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Raven Guard Primaris Librarian:

How the hell are you motivated to paint post NOVA.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Rip old ersatz wet pallet I made out of a Tupperware in 2008. All hail glorious overpriced new overlord.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I feel like I should try a wet palette again.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I keep using regular tap water, forgetting it for a month, then opening it up to discover a delightful new ecosystem has sprung up.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Badablack posted:

I keep using regular tap water, forgetting it for a month, then opening it up to discover a delightful new ecosystem has sprung up.

It's the best way to get a good highlight colour for Deathguard Green.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
http://www.fullborerminiatures.com/articles/wetpalette.html

i've been using this from the first page, pretty much exactly what eifert is using on the left. I like it but paint sometimes gets too thin. There must be a magic amount of water to add to get it just right, but it will reach it automatically the longer it sits.

Is there something better to use than tap water?

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Rip old ersatz wet pallet I made out of a Tupperware in 2008. All hail glorious overpriced new overlord.

I’m interested in picking one of these up, I’d love to know how you get on with it. Do you think itks worth the asking price?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Count_Brass posted:

I’m interested in picking one of these up, I’d love to know how you get on with it. Do you think itks worth the asking price?

You may want to check the comments out on the original Kickstarter for it. Ranges from "it's just okay" to "this is the worst thing ever it aborted my baby and is hitler and gave my mom cancer-aids".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1061749597/everlasting-the-best-wet-palette-for-miniature-pai/comments

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Count_Brass posted:

I’ve been using one for about two months now and I love it. It’s still a bit steep but it’s well made.

Also for the tap water question, the mold in that post was less about the water and more about the “forgetting about it for a month” thing. If I think I won’t be painting for a couple of days I leave the lid off my palette so it can dry out. Haven’t had any issues.

Edit: I’m not having the issues a lot of people in the comments of the Kickstarter are, I wonder if they have some QC issues and I got lucky.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 22, 2018

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
It might not keep for wet palette from turning into a bio dome for a full month, but adding a dash of hydrogen peroxide can help.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
It probably depends highly on where you live, but you could always buy distilled water or de-ionized water.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Bob Ross’d a piece of scatter terrain for kill team from some Reaper doorway thing. It’s nice not worrying about getting an army finished by a deadline, and just painting random stuff to relax.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/984996675/basius-max/description

Basius is doing another Kickstarter for their base molds. I got a couple the last time they did a KS, but wish I had gotten more. They're super detailed and make really great bases with minimal work. For some reason they're only available in the US during kickstarters.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's only been one day since I got the palette but I like it. The do-it-yourself one I made would always either get super over-saturated in water or dry out instantly. this one held itself pretty well over a course of a day. We'll see how it holds up long-term, it definitely seems like it's not completely 100% airtight.

Being able to just last a days more or less what I need anyways I feel like anything more is a gimmick.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 23, 2018

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How the hell are you motivated to paint post NOVA.

I wanna shoot stuff with mind bullets. Now I can!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Eifert Posting posted:

It's only been one day since I got the palette but I like it. The do-it-yourself one I made would always either get super over-saturated in water or dry out instantly. this one held itself pretty well over a course of a day. We'll see how it holds up long-term, it definitely seems like it's not completely 100% airtight.

Being able to just last a days more or less what I need anyways I feel like anything more is a gimmick.

That kickstarter is worth reading for all the backer complaints replied to by the company implying they're loving stupid, lol.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
Speaking of wet palettes, thank you to whoever on this thread mentioned making them using baking paper. I'd been putting off for months tracking down some parchment paper - once I realised baking paper worked too I had a wet palette within hours!

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Finished the interior of my swamp monster shipping container. Gonna houserule that models standing near it have a chance to get dragged in and subjected to ALL the deviantart fetishes.

Spooky LED shot!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I've assembled my Tau kill team. Is it cliche to paint Tau like Zaku II's from Mobile Suit Gundam?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Dr Snofeld posted:

I've assembled my Tau kill team. Is it cliche to paint Tau like Zaku II's from Mobile Suit Gundam?

I've no idea what any of that means.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

I wanna shoot stuff with mind bullets. Now I can!

With Kill Team commanders coming out I want to do the same.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Badablack posted:

Finished the interior of my swamp monster shipping container. Gonna houserule that models standing near it have a chance to get dragged in and subjected to ALL the deviantart fetishes.

Spooky LED shot!

This owns.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

richyp posted:

I've no idea what any of that means.

Paint them like this:

Dr Snofeld posted:

Would be worse if you painted them like the RX-78. But you are required to paint the leader red. :colbert:

Otherwise my voice is for Tron Tau with the Dark Teal colour scheme from the app.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 23, 2018

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I've only ever seen primary colors Gundam Tau so you're all good to do Zaku.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Truthfully I can't decide between something in green, or the red Farsight Enclaves scheme. I haven't painted in years so I'm rather indecisive.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 23, 2018

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Painted up Spiteclaw's Swarm. He's the greatest after all.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Those are awesome! I feel like you don't see white-furred skaven that often.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/984996675/basius-max/description

Basius is doing another Kickstarter for their base molds. I got a couple the last time they did a KS, but wish I had gotten more. They're super detailed and make really great bases with minimal work. For some reason they're only available in the US during kickstarters.

These look really nice but when you factor in shipping to the US it's like 50 bucks for one pad :eyepop:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Yeah, the ROI on those things would take forever once you factor in time making your own bases and the cost of greenstuff. I'd rather just buy from Dragon Forge or Elriks or one of the other US-based basemakers.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
One of the minor Tau Septs, N'Dras has a green color scheme variant so you can also be fluffy too if you go with that.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

bonds0097 posted:

Yeah, the ROI on those things would take forever once you factor in time making your own bases and the cost of greenstuff. I'd rather just buy from Dragon Forge or Elriks or one of the other US-based basemakers.

You'd be better off just casting your own bases if you want a really good ROI. Single-side molds for bases takes no time at all and you can pump out a handful of casts every ~15 minutes, assuming you're using a quick-setting resin.

If you're not one who is any good at sculpting or just like the look of the Basius pads, you could get one or more of the pads and then start casting bases after you've got some greenstuff masters to your liking. So, there's that, I guess.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I could probably have a lot of fun 3D printing some bases. I might try that.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I could probably have a lot of fun 3D printing some bases. I might try that.

Keep us posted on how that goes. I've been debating on getting a 3D printer and that's one of the uses I thought about getting out of it.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

I can't suggest buying from dragonforge. They have a huge catalog, but aren't helpful unless you're planning an army 6 months in advance. I ordered some bases in june and still haven't gotten mine.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Slimnoid posted:

Keep us posted on how that goes. I've been debating on getting a 3D printer and that's one of the uses I thought about getting out of it.

Sure. What should I do? Maybe a city piece?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Booley posted:

I can't suggest buying from dragonforge. They have a huge catalog, but aren't helpful unless you're planning an army 6 months in advance. I ordered some bases in june and still haven't gotten mine.

Huh, that's too bad. Maybe reach out to the guy. I've placed 2 orders in the past month and received them both within 5-10 business day. Just place another order last week.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sure. What should I do? Maybe a city piece?

City sounds pretty versatile, as it could fit with a lot of sci-fi/modern games.

When I started making and casting bases, I wanted to make molds for the most common base type that I was doing at the time. I did this for my Dark Angels army back when I played 40k, and decided on space ship/space hulk-style bases, as I was going heavy on the terminators and dreadnoughts. It was also probably the easiest, since I had access to various textured plasticard and some thin plastic piping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

bonds0097 posted:

The ROI man might not be good, but I really enjoy making my own bases. I also have a ton of Happy Sepuku molds and I combine the effects from both to get unique bases for every model.