Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Funktor posted:

So what do I need to know in order to make Pho at home? What's some good general ideas or a good recipe?

Here's 3 ideas from Kenji:

Traditional Beef (takes like 6-7 hours): https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/09/the-food-lab-how-to-make-traditional-vietnamese-pho.html

Cheating 1-Hour Beef: https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/10/the-food-lab-pho-fast-pho-fastest-pho.html

Pressure Cooker Chicken: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Midniter posted:

My wife saw a Tasty video on how to make your own sprouted...everything. She proceeded to make about two pounds worth of mung bean sprouts. While they're tasty, we have way too many of them and want to use them before they go bad. Suggestions? I thought they'd be good in a stir fry and have been adding them to salads, but I've barely made a dent in them.

I suggest blocking Instagram

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Cross-posting from the industry thread; I work in a breakfast place and would love some suggestions.

My KM has tapped me to come up with ideas for our weekly specials, which are now going to be exclusively omelettes. As an example of what we're shooting for, last week's was "crab Rangoon": eggs beaten with a little stir fry sauce (soy, fish sauce, sesame oil), lump crab, garlic & green onion cream cheese, topped with drizzle of sweet Thai chile sauce. poo poo sold like mad at $6 a pop.

A few ideas I've come up so far, which I'm hoping y'all could help me flesh out:
--"Bloody Mary" omelette. Roasted red tomatoes, sauteed celery, then a spicy Worchestershire drizzle?
-- Pesto omelette (my basil plant at home is going nuts, I've got pesto on the brain). Would you want the pesto stuffed inside the omelette, or do eggs beaten with Parmesan, then topped with pesto out of a squeeze bottle? Just make a basil sauce, then garnish with crushed pine nuts? ...I'm spitballing here.
-- "Bruschetta" omelette. Roasted toms, basil, parm, balsamic reduction drizzle.

Any other creative omelette ideas are appreciated! Our seasonal Sunday brunch menu currently has these omelettes: Philly cheese steak, Buffalo Chx, and Farmer's Market (tomatoes, goat cheese, mushrooms, spinach), so those flavor profiles are off the table, for me, anyways. Also, at only $6, I can't go crazy with the expensive proteins. We do tend to over-order chicken and rib-eye, so I was also throwing around the idea of a "black and bleu", doing rib-eye with blackening season, bleu cheese, and....?

Thanks y'all!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Should you salt beef that you're topping pizza with or is the cheese/sauce /bread salty enough?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

How about a kimchi omelette with spring onions

e: not an omelette but shakshuka is like the best egg based dish ever

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

It's not particularly creative, but I've always liked the simplicity of a western omelette — ham and lightly sauteed green bell pepper and onion.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've mixed pesto into the eggs before scrambling and it's quite :discourse:

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Any other creative omelette ideas are appreciated! Our seasonal Sunday brunch menu currently has these omelettes: Philly cheese steak, Buffalo Chx, and Farmer's Market (tomatoes, goat cheese, mushrooms, spinach), so those flavor profiles are off the table, for me, anyways. Also, at only $6, I can't go crazy with the expensive proteins. We do tend to over-order chicken and rib-eye, so I was also throwing around the idea of a "black and bleu", doing rib-eye with blackening season, bleu cheese, and....?

Eggs Benedict omelette
Eggs Piperade omelette
I can't come up with a theme but anything with tater tots & bacon (diner breakfast special?)

spankmeister posted:

How about a kimchi omelette with spring onions

e: not an omelette but shakshuka is like the best egg based dish ever

Both of these!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I really like garlic mushroom omelettes

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The best omelette. Big chunks of chevre, sauteed rosemary/garlic mushrooms, heavy on the black pepper.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

Should you salt beef that you're topping pizza with or is the cheese/sauce /bread salty enough?

I like a bit of salt on most everything but this is really to taste. I also hot sauce my pizzas so that's even more salt. You don't want the topping themselves to be bland tho

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Klaus Kinski posted:

If I wanted to try fermenting some rehydrated dried chilis, what would be the best way to get some bacteria in there?

The bacteria is already in there.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Funktor posted:

So what do I need to know in order to make Pho at home? What's some good general ideas or a good recipe?

Here's that broth recipe I posted earlier. Does well seasoned to taste with hella MSG and soy sauce.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I take the skin off of braises or stews like this, pat it dry, then pan fry it in the saved chicken fat til it's crispy. Chop it up and serve it on top of the stew as a garnish.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Stringent posted:

Lodge sells an enameled dutch oven, don't they?

This is old, but yes they do. I've got the 6qt one and it owns.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Wacky Delly posted:

This is old, but yes they do. I've got the 6qt one and it owns.

:same:

I love cooking with it

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jewel Repetition posted:

Yes, salt the beef.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Aldi is selling a 4.6 quart oval Dutch oven this week for $25, I’m gonna pick one up for bread baking. I have a 6 quart round one from them that’s great. No reason an oblong oven should be a problem for bread though, right? Just might need to adjust bake times a little?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

they're better for batards

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Moon Monster posted:

I've been invited to a "Keto picnic". If it was vegetarian or even vegan I could work with that no problem. But looking up keto recipes it looks like you're basically limited to two options: lumps of meat/cheese and worse versions of non-keto things. Any suggestions?

:sever:

Cross-posting from the industry thread; I work in a breakfast place and would love some suggestions.

My KM has tapped me to come up with ideas for our weekly specials, which are now going to be exclusively omelettes. As an example of what we're shooting for, last week's was "crab Rangoon": eggs beaten with a little stir fry sauce (soy, fish sauce, sesame oil), lump crab, garlic & green onion cream cheese, topped with drizzle of sweet Thai chile sauce. poo poo sold like mad at $6 a pop.

A few ideas I've come up so far, which I'm hoping y'all could help me flesh out:
--"Bloody Mary" omelette. Roasted red tomatoes, sauteed celery, then a spicy Worchestershire drizzle?
-- Pesto omelette (my basil plant at home is going nuts, I've got pesto on the brain). Would you want the pesto stuffed inside the omelette, or do eggs beaten with Parmesan, then topped with pesto out of a squeeze bottle? Just make a basil sauce, then garnish with crushed pine nuts? ...I'm spitballing here.
-- "Bruschetta" omelette. Roasted toms, basil, parm, balsamic reduction drizzle.

Thanks y'all!

Philly Cheesesteak Omelette.
Thinly sliced grilled ribeye with peppers, onions, mushrooms and American cheese.

Stolen from this, which has some others as well.
http://www.pagesokragrill.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/BreakfastMenu_Web_5.29.18.pdf

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 21, 2018

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Discendo Vox posted:

Philly Cheesesteak Omelette.

Our seasonal Sunday brunch menu currently has these omelettes: Philly cheese steak

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just finished peeling the stupid membrane off of my rack of ribs, also rubbed some spices I found online for it. It's been sitting in the fridge for ~2 hours. I pre-heated the oven to 250 degrees and wondering how long I should keep it in there for. I've read anywhere from 2-8 hours.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

my bad, I rushed to the item I'd eaten last.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thanks y'all!

French Onion Soup Omelette? Caramelized Onions, gruyere, and some beef demi?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Banana recipes. The food bank I volunteer at got a shipment of bananas that's over ripe. They're not black or putrid, but many of the skins are split open. We can't give the opened ones to our customers, so I offered to take a bunch of them.

Now I have a bunch of peeled, slightly brown bananas that I have to use up today.

Favorite banana bread recipe? Homemade pudding with bananas? Something more original? What do you suggest?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Real response: banana crunch muffins http://www.pepperplate.com/sharedrecipe.aspx?id=ad021228-04ed-408d-ba96-d3ece9c2b444

Also any bananas you can't use will freeze well. You'll only lose the kind of texture you've already lost. Peel first.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
ATK's banana bread (paywalled but on blogs) takes care of 5 bananas. King Arthur lets you customize it in neat ways.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

obi_ant posted:

Just finished peeling the stupid membrane off of my rack of ribs, also rubbed some spices I found online for it. It's been sitting in the fridge for ~2 hours. I pre-heated the oven to 250 degrees and wondering how long I should keep it in there for. I've read anywhere from 2-8 hours.

At least 3, if not 4. I put a shallow pan of water (refill it a couple times) or throw ice cubes on the bottom of the oven so the ribs don't dry up. If I cover them in foil they get greasy :(

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Bagheera posted:

Banana recipes. The food bank I volunteer at got a shipment of bananas that's over ripe. They're not black or putrid, but many of the skins are split open. We can't give the opened ones to our customers, so I offered to take a bunch of them.

Now I have a bunch of peeled, slightly brown bananas that I have to use up today.

Favorite banana bread recipe? Homemade pudding with bananas? Something more original? What do you suggest?

Banana ice cream! Slice bananas about an inch thick or less, freeze, put in blender. That's it. That's the entire recipe. Add other stuff in as you like, I'll add chocolate chips or coconut flakes to the mix and top with granola or strawberries and whipped cream.

The more bananas you have, the more ice cream you get. I don't have an exact banana to ice cream ratio in my head right now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
This one time (back when I was raising pigs and would get all the cast off produce from the supermarket) I got a pallet of bananas. They were pretty good, all still yellow and nice, but they had passed some time limit so could not be sold. Anyway, I fed a few cases to the pigs, but I wouldn't have been able to use them all beforehand they rotted, so I set up a great big kettle over a fire outside and stewed them all down. Added water at the end, and then fermented. I ended up with about 30 gallons of banana wine and at first it was awful. However, after aging in the bottles for about 2 years it turned into the clearest golden wine you've ever seen, most dry and with a taste like relatively cheap Riesling with a hint of banana runts flavor. A LOT of people drank that wine and everyone loved it, and I used theast bottle on the week that I moved to Vegas, so it was about 10 years old at that time. I miss that banana wine.

Tldr make your spare bananas into hooch.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

effika posted:

Banana ice cream! Slice bananas about an inch thick or less, freeze, put in blender. That's it. That's the entire recipe. Add other stuff in as you like, I'll add chocolate chips or coconut flakes to the mix and top with granola or strawberries and whipped cream.

The more bananas you have, the more ice cream you get. I don't have an exact banana to ice cream ratio in my head right now.

This is good, I like to make smoothies too. Add some milk (or silken tofu), and other frozen fruit like blueberries.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This one time (back when I was raising pigs and would get all the cast off produce from the supermarket) I got a pallet of bananas. They were pretty good, all still yellow and nice, but they had passed some time limit so could not be sold. Anyway, I fed a few cases to the pigs, but I wouldn't have been able to use them all beforehand they rotted, so I set up a great big kettle over a fire outside and stewed them all down. Added water at the end, and then fermented. I ended up with about 30 gallons of banana wine and at first it was awful. However, after aging in the bottles for about 2 years it turned into the clearest golden wine you've ever seen, most dry and with a taste like relatively cheap Riesling with a hint of banana runts flavor. A LOT of people drank that wine and everyone loved it, and I used theast bottle on the week that I moved to Vegas, so it was about 10 years old at that time. I miss that banana wine.

That would have been fun to distill as well.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Man, I hate banannas, but I loooooooove plantains. Why am I a broken human being?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Back when I was picking beans in Guatemala, we used to make fresh coffee, right off the trees I mean. That was good. This is poo poo but, hey, I'm in a police station.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Looking for a proper way to cook an approx 1” USDA prime hamburger in a carbon steel pan. Since we’re getting biblical amounts of rain this week, the grill is out, so I’m looking for a stovetop or stovetop/oven method. In the past, I’ve either gotten burnt outsides with raw insides, or medium grey throughout. TIA

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So ever since I followed a beef stew recipe that asked for 30g of gelatin in, I've sorta fallen in love with gelatin. I'd never really used it in meals, and only really used it for desserts. It works way better than adding flour or making a roux to thicken sauces, because my entire experience with roux's has been burning on the bottom of the pan where the flour sits, and then that ends up peeling and becoming part of the meal. I use an instant pot so I can't really help that (bringing it up to pressure usually blasts the bottom of the pot with heat), unless I add the roux at the end of the meal and slowly simmer it?

But from here on out, for days that I'm lazy and can't be bothered to reduce a sauce (bolognese, curry, whatever) to make it less watery, can I just throw a packet or two (15g each) of gelatin into the pan and let that thicken it up? Normally, reducing sauces is easy, but juggling heat control with my lovely electric hob is a frustrating game. When I'm visiting family, the heat control you have with a gas burner makes simmering much easier. Couple that with the fact the instant pot is quite narrow and tall, it makes reducing take much longer and removes the appeal of the instant pot (not having to attend it at all times). So gelatin to thicken things when you're lazy: yes or no?

Completely different question regarding panna cotta - my family and I kept visiting a family restaurant in Milan, and their panna cotta was the best I ever had. I've never had one like it. It was thick on the outside, but the second you take a spoonful and eat it, it melts in the mouth and the inside is creamy and soft. Most other panna cotta I've had is usually rather thick all the way through. We asked him for the recipe and he was real adamant about using fish bone gelatin. Does anyone have a recipe that is similar to what I've described? We'd go to the restaurant just for the dessert, and we'd each end up getting another panna cotta right after finishing our first.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

There are different grades of gelatin bronze, silver, gold, platinum.
Each one sets up firmer than the previous one for a given weight.
This is referring to sheet gelatin which most every professional kitchen uses.
Here's a good overview of the different types.
https://stellaculinary.com/cooking-videos/food-science-101/fs-003-guide-gelatin

And an article talking about fish gelatin which I'll admit I've never personally used but it seems like it's a popular kosher ingridient so you may be able to find it in a Jewish grocery store.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0268005X08001446

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Qubee posted:

So gelatin to thicken things when you're lazy: yes or no?
I'd first try to avoid things that add extra water in the first place if I knew I was in a rush/lazy. I'd probably prefer cornflour over gelatin for this sort of application though.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Again, cross-posting from the industry thread, re: omelettes

Thanks for all the omelet suggestions!

I was going to go for the Bloody Mary idea, but THEN my boss told me (after I'd been brainstorming, and asking all y'all for ideas ) "we need to use up that ricotta in the walk-in", so, change of plans. So I went with this recipe totally cribbed from Bon Appetit, with some modifications to suit what we had laying around:
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ricotta-omelets

Anyways, I did a test run today during my downtime, and holy shitsnacks, it's a dang fine omelette. I made the mistake of asking BOH and FOH if they wanted to try a bite before I took a pic of one, so photo evidence will have to come later. They fuckin' inhaled that poo poo; I only got one bite myself, then they were gone. A++ would make again (and will be, from 6 to 11 am all week).

But again, thank you all for your ideas I can use in future weeks! (and totally try that recipe, it is the tits)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bollock Monkey posted:

I'd first try to avoid things that add extra water in the first place if I knew I was in a rush/lazy. I'd probably prefer cornflour over gelatin for this sort of application though.

My stuff is usually more watery than usual because I put it in the instant pot, so I need to add enough water so pressure can actually generate sufficiently, and to prevent whatever I'm cooking from burning on the bottom of the pan.

Does cornflour not burn as easily as regular flour?