Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Violator posted:

Do I remember right that they said the S4 is supposed to be twice as fast as the S3?
No their day is still 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Violator posted:

Do I remember right that they said the S4 is supposed to be twice as fast as the S3?

yep, also overheard an Apple Store dude telling someone that yesterday.

I think it's pretty accurate. Scrolling between watch faces on S3 was the best way to quickly find the brick wall of performance, on S4 it's almost seamless.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Finally upgraded to an S4 from an S0 and holy poo poo, what a massive difference. I really want to try the EKG feature and hope it won’t be too long.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 22, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No their day is still 24 hours.

:lol:

Did anyone go down to a 40 mm from a 42 mm? Any thoughts?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I briefly considered the 40mm until realizing it would render obsolete the $200 or so I’ve spent on watch bands.

(Yeah, I have problem.)

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

So I unpaired my watch with my old phone and paired it with my new phone fine. When I’m not on WiFi the watch just can’t connect to the phone. Anyone else had this issue?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pants Donkey posted:

I briefly considered the 40mm until realizing it would render obsolete the $200 or so I’ve spent on watch bands.

(Yeah, I have problem.)

I kinda wanted to do the same until I found out that important note -- as far as band compatibility is concerned, 38mm (pre-Series 4) bands fit the new 40mm, and 42mm (pre-Series 4) bands fit the new 44mm. I mean technically all bands fit all models, but nobody wants gaps or protruding lugs.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

enojy posted:

I kinda wanted to do the same until I found out that important note -- as far as band compatibility is concerned, 38mm (pre-Series 4) bands fit the new 40mm, and 42mm (pre-Series 4) bands fit the new 44mm. I mean technically all bands fit all models, but nobody wants gaps or protruding lugs.
I mean I considered going from a 42mm to 40mm. I went 44mm precisely because of all the 42mm bands I have.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Walkie talkie is a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping it'd be more like Voxer where it'd queue up the received messages and you could review them at leisure or if you missed what they said. It's literally a walkie talkie, with no 2018 benefits other than range not being an issue.

Plus, unless I want messages to come in when I'm at work I have to manually check available on and off. Just doesn't seem very well thought. Doing a voxer so it was asynchronous but fast enough to feel like real time would have been the best IMO.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Walkie talkie is a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping it'd be more like Voxer where it'd queue up the received messages and you could review them at leisure or if you missed what they said. It's literally a walkie talkie, with no 2018 benefits other than range not being an issue.

Plus, unless I want messages to come in when I'm at work I have to manually check available on and off. Just doesn't seem very well thought. Doing a voxer so it was asynchronous but fast enough to feel like real time would have been the best IMO.

Also on my S2 battery life suffered considerably when keeping myself available on Walkie Talkie.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Man the speed of the S4 is tremendous coming from an S1. Not having to wait like 15 seconds for an app to boot up is fantastic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The whole use Siri without saying hey siri is currently not great and rarely works which makes me sad.

Violator
May 15, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Isn’t that basically iMessage Audio messages? But no one uses it?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

These apps have been sitting like this since I got my new phone and watch last night. Anyone have an idea about what’s going on?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Violator posted:

Mostly, yes. But very quick ways to send and receive them.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

ManSedan posted:

Anyone else with a Series 1 find their battery life in the toilet since the update? Mine can’t make it past 3pm.

I’ve had my Series 1 pretty much since launch and haven’t seen a change, but I also charge nightly.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The whole use Siri without saying hey siri is currently not great and rarely works which makes me sad.

I found you need to put the watch closer to your face than you expect, but then its pretty reliable.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I kept seeing reviewers saying the S4 is the iPhone 4S of the watches but I disagree. It’s the XS of watched with the 44 being the Max and the 40 being the regular. The edge to edge nature and very high speeds make this thing so effortless to use and it all just looks so loving good.

I’m running my obligatory “run the watch from full charge until it dies” test I do with every new watch I get.
Going off memory:
My 42mm S0
My 42mm S2 SBSS got 2 days and 20 hours and was at like 4% battery life.
My 42mm S3 SBSS LTE got 3 days and 8 hours and was at like 9%
Let’s see what the 44mm S4 SBSS LTE gets.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Those are some impressive numbers.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Violator posted:

Apparently it is literally just a FaceTime audio call that only turns the mic on when you press the button.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Does the call automatically go through? I'm having flashbacks to the old Nextel push to talk poo poo. Is it like that?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does the call automatically go through? I'm having flashbacks to the old Nextel push to talk poo poo. Is it like that?

No.

You need to grant access, then each time a new walkie talkie session begins, you again need to 'ok' it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

But once you authorize it and have your talkie set to available, your watch will just start talking when a new message comes in.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

beergod posted:

These apps have been sitting like this since I got my new phone and watch last night. Anyone have an idea about what’s going on?

I had this happen to me; I unpaired and re-paired and everything installed and worked (that wasn't an ancient app that isn't supported anymore). I assumed it was a issue with my phone trying to reinstall all my apps on my new iPhone while also trying to set up pairing and app installation with the watch.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Ordered the Space Black Milanese Loop from apple for when my series 4 watch arrives mid October. I'm switching from android and the apple watch seems more user friendly than my current moto 360 2.

The only thing I will miss is the always on display for checking the time, but I have found it incredibly useful for notifications since I usually have my phone on mute not to disturb other people.

Having to wait for basically a month to get my new watch kind of sucks though. Have previous apple watch releases been this popular?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You need to hold it up pretty close to your mouth for it to work without saying Hey Siri.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hamelekim posted:

Ordered the Space Black Milanese Loop from apple for when my series 4 watch arrives mid October. I'm switching from android and the apple watch seems more user friendly than my current moto 360 2.

The only thing I will miss is the always on display for checking the time, but I have found it incredibly useful for notifications since I usually have my phone on mute not to disturb other people.

Having to wait for basically a month to get my new watch kind of sucks though. Have previous apple watch releases been this popular?
I remember the first watch came out in April...while space black didn't ship until like June/July. That's a bit of an exception of course.

I don't remember the others but about a month isn't too bad for an Apple launch, and going by the past it has a decent chance of shipping sooner.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

japtor posted:

I remember the first watch came out in April...while space black didn't ship until like June/July. That's a bit of an exception of course.

I don't remember the others but about a month isn't too bad for an Apple launch, and going by the past it has a decent chance of shipping sooner.

Got my SBSS 44mm S4 on launch day. The stock was probably low and launch day supply levels went fast but I’m sure they will top up quickly.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

Hamelekim posted:

For what it’s worth, I saw that you could reserve some models of the S4 for pickup at my local Apple Store yesterday.

It might take a few days, but I suspect once the initial rush is over, you’ll be able to grab one at the store in a few days.

ChadSexington fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 23, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What are some recommend apps/games these days? I actually find myself wanting to open apps now since they don’t take days to load.

Is there a good Twitter watch app? I’m still pretty mad the official one pulled support

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 23, 2018

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone own one of these through AT&T? Apparently AT&T straight up never 44mm black stainless got any for sale in stores and online says "Out of Stock" and not even something hopeful like a month-late delivery time.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anyone own one of these through AT&T? Apparently AT&T straight up never 44mm black stainless got any for sale in stores and online says "Out of Stock" and not even something hopeful like a month-late delivery time.

Got my 44mm SBSS S4 from AT&T and it arrived on Friday.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Hamelekim posted:

good choice!

I'm really enjoying it

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Yeast posted:

good choice!

I'm really enjoying it

Looks very nice.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Space Black has always been the best apple watch.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 24, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat do I hate that watch face.

Because I can’t have it :qq:

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

rage-saq posted:

Space Black has always been the best apple watch.

What's that bottom right complication?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Banana tracker

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

LPG Giant posted:

What's that bottom right complication?

Carrot weather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there a toggle somewhere for unlocking the watch when my phone unlocks? Or does the new watchOS remove that featre? It worked awesome on my 6S but I switched to an XS on Friday and did the OS upgrade and now I need to enter the PIN no matter what.