Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

pro starcraft loser posted:

Sounds like a brokered agreement is under way. Which is good, since any last stand would probably result in thousands more killed.

I have no source for this but I heard it may have been Israel using Russian transponder signals to get close for the attack.

Israel hacked the SAA air-defenses to be on a five minute delay so the SAA forces thought they were shooting at the Israeli jets when they fired the missiles. This might seem like a joke but this is similar to what Israel did when they bombed Syria's secret nuclear reactor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

qkkl posted:

Israel hacked the SAA air-defenses to be on a five minute delay so the SAA forces thought they were shooting at the Israeli jets when they fired the missiles. This might seem like a joke but this is similar to what Israel did when they bombed Syria's secret nuclear reactor.

I wonder how much it is an issue of undertrained crews and defects with the BUK IFF system considering its history. (Of course, this is all speculation at this point.)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ardennes posted:

I wonder how much it is an issue of undertrained crews and defects with the BUK IFF system considering its history. (Of course, this is all speculation at this point.)

Or just no comms with the russians in the air

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Man, vacation last week in Turkey was so nice with my Eurodollars. Lived like a loving king, even with 20% inflation. Dishing out those hundreds of liras for whatever is the most expensive in your stupid shop, you poor, sickly Turkish manlet. Fellate on my thick, sumptious wallet while I sort my thousands of bills, while you can't even afford the ekmek anymore. Hell Yeah.
Now I understand why all Turkish in Europe vote AKP. gently caress you got mine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

gonna punch the next akp voting Turk not actually living in Turkey i see, holy poo poo

and the economy has not even collapsed yet. If you voted Erdogan and don't live there, even if this wasn't your intend, literally gently caress you

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 19, 2018

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I had never been in an indoor ACd pool before turkey. So loving nice okay touristy beach but nice hotel.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

LeoMarr posted:

I had never been in an indoor ACd pool before turkey. So loving nice okay touristy beach but nice hotel.

Wait, an indoor air conditioned pool sounds terrible unless you're somewhere miserably both hot and humid like Houston or Kuwait City. Air temp being lower than the water temp is like the most uncomfortable thing unless you're in a hot tub or a professional swimmer. Even in Cairo all of the pools are outdoors and it's a lot hotter than anywhere in Turkey.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

LeoMarr posted:

Or just no comms with the russians in the air

If the IFF was functional, it shouldn't matter.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Ardennes posted:

If the IFF was functional, it shouldn't matter.

This feels like it's getting into Clancychat territory, but if the Israelis hacked the defense network and set the signatures to some kind of delay as someone above suggested, could an S200 be launched at the radar signature of an F16 that was gone 5 minutes ago and inadvertently end up locked onto the IL20?

Or alternatively SAA AAA crewmen suck and the defense systems have bad or non-functional IFF. /shrug

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Objurium posted:

This feels like it's getting into Clancychat territory, but if the Israelis hacked the defense network and set the signatures to some kind of delay as someone above suggested, could an S200 be launched at the radar signature of an F16 that was gone 5 minutes ago and inadvertently end up locked onto the IL20?

Or alternatively SAA AAA crewmen suck and the defense systems have bad or non-functional IFF. /shrug

Even on lovely systems radar resolution is a couple of meters.

Also, IFF is irrelevant in combat and air defense crews use other methods to identify airplanes. When you interrogate an enemy airplane, what is it going to respond, "hello, I am an enemy airplane"? It either won't answer, or give a deceptive reply.

The AA crew didn't have time to make a proper decision and they figured they would get in trouble if they didn't fire. Sometimes the crews rationalize not firing (Pearl Harbor), and sometimes they rationalize firing (Flight 655). It's always the same.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Picture from the Aleppo citadel today taken by reddit poster Ballenuk; they live in Syria (and I believe they've said they have relatives in Aleppo) and they've been to Aleppo a few times now and posted pictures on the Syrian Civil War subreddit previously.

https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/9h59x6/the_view_from_the_aleppo_citadel_today/

quote:

Millero15:
How's the situation in Aleppo now compared to the situation before the war and during the fiercest fighting of the siege?

ballenuk:
There's a ton of rebuilding, renovation, reparation of infrastructure happening in the city. Of course, there's endless amounts of work left to do - it will take decades to fully recover (if it ever does fully) but there's work happening in earnest.

In contrast to Damascus, checkpoints are few and far between. Traffic flows smoothly and it doesn't feel clogged up like Damascus does - although of course Aleppo has been heavily depopulated, whilst Damascus has seen a huge influx of people. Folks are returning to Aleppo now though.

The old city is pretty quiet, although places in the souk are gradually reopening. There's been a lot of clean-up work of some of the khans around the old city, and generally in the streets too. We went to a reopening event at Khan al Jumruk last year and there's been similar events at Khan al Wazir and other locations too. The cafes and restaurants around the citadel itself are mostly open again now - some were rebuilt extensively after the problems, whilst others were only damaged lightly. The old hamam, Bab al Ahmar, is also open again and the citadel itself opened to the public a few months ago too.

Despite this, there's a lot of areas in the city that are reduced to rubble and will need full demolition and clearing, rebuilding, etc. Some areas are basically untouched - there's the whole spectrum there. There's a trickle of tourists going to Aleppo now, but they can be counted on the fingers of a few hands. Random shells falling from the western/northern countryside is still an issue in the city - but it's far less than before.

All in all: there's a lot of work to be done, but the worst appears to be over

weemalone:
With this pic and the answer combined it sounded more promising than I was anticipating you would say, plus you paint it in a positive light. Are the restorations mainly supported by locals or do some other agencies help?

ballenuk:
Good question - we met various people who were funding their own renovations. Of course costs are substantially lower than in the west for labour, etc. but it's still very expensive for many people to invest too much. In terms of agencies - I'm not too sure. There's a big push for foreign investment (see Damascus International Fair for example), but sanctions don't make it easy for many investors. Perhaps some others on here might be able to provide further information too?

weemalone:
That sounds like it could be healthy. Too much interest from companies would be a red flag. What about NGOs? I suppose it’s right for people to be somewhat reserved, could Idlib heighten this too?

ballenuk:
Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) have a ton of volunteers and do a lot of work all over Syria. They have an office in Aziziyeh in the centre of Aleppo and seem to be about the most active humanitarian group around - although it's not related to rebuilding, etc. more providing basic services, water, medical care, etc to those who need it. They're not an NGO though.

In terms of NGOs - there's some small projects we heard of from a few parties/individuals. I know there are people working with schools in the city, but in terms of larger NGOs I'm not too sure personally
Also some info on the rebuilding in Aleppo. I still hate the regime but I'm glad that the civilians are rebuilding and hope that the city can get back to some form of normalcy fairly quickly.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
U.S. special forces beheaded a detainee in Iraq

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...m_medium=social

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Of course it is a seal

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Professional misconduct

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Professional misconduct

Seals gonna seal.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Money over everything.

https://twitter.com/DionNissenbaum/status/1042738818753998850

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/akram_abo_alfoz/status/1041799573151383552

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

But if we don't sell weapons to these horrible people, horrible people will sell them weapons!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Count Roland posted:

But if we don't sell weapons to these horrible people, horrible people will sell them weapons!

Only part Lord of War got wrong was that arms dealers are even still necessary, when the US can just ship weapons wherever it likes and say: "gently caress you, bottom line errrr...I mean, national security!"

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Count Roland posted:

who, englishmen?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Of course it is a seal

Yep. At least he's in jail for it.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
there's been attack against an IRGC military parade in Ahvaz

https://twitter.com/Hassanvand/status/1043395916076642307

e: 11 killed, 21 injured, 4 detained via borzou

spaceships fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 22, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The investigation was quick.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JZarif/status/1043411744314601472

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
awhazi separatists took responsibility according to this
https://twitter.com/vvanwilgenburg/status/1043428788267298817

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...a-idUSKCN1M2080

Reuters is reporting the death toll has risen to twenty-four, twelve of whom were Revolutionary Guards, and over sixty wounded.

Four attackers; all dead.

Deputy governor says the death toll is expected to rise further.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
several people claiming only deaths were irgc and thus acceptable and justified

e: these people are all ideologues and won't add anything to the conversation

e: a four year old was killed

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
not a terrorist attack :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/abdullahawez/status/1043461656276287489

e: like i said, they're going to spin this as justified and ignore the civilian deaths

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

spaceships posted:

not a terrorist attack :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/abdullahawez/status/1043461656276287489

e: like i said, they're going to spin this as justified and ignore the civilian deaths

Somehow, I don't think that if the attack had targeted US or Israeli soldiers, they would be going all "umm, actually" about calling it a terror attack.

Edit: superfluous double negation

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 22, 2018

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
killing us will always be justified

e: i'm not ever going to lose sleep over dead irgc but it always seems so easy to portray dead iranians as a good thing for everyone else

spaceships fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 22, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

Somehow, I don't think that if the attack had targeted US or Israeli soldiers, they would be going all "umm, actually" about calling it a terror attack.

Edit: superfluous double negation

The USS Cole wasn't terrorism. I haven't had time to read up on this attack yet but it'll depend on the civilian casualties.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
reza loving pahlavi condemned it as a terrorist attack
e: he offers his condolences to the armed forces and their families.

https://twitter.com/ManotoNews/status/1043510658229256192

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
https://twitter.com/Khaaasteh/status/1043451583168765952

e: iran talk breaks my brain and i'm excited to become extremely emotional and monumentally retarded

e: i apparently can't just link the last tweet

spaceships fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 22, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spaceships posted:

https://twitter.com/Khaaasteh/status/1043451583168765952

e: iran talk breaks my brain and i'm excited to become extremely emotional and monumentally retarded

e: i apparently can't just link the last tweet

That group is tailor made to be a perfect enemy of Iran.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Volkerball posted:

The USS Cole wasn't terrorism. I haven't had time to read up on this attack yet but it'll depend on the civilian casualties.

volkerball? cautioning us that dead shiiites might not be a bad thing? who could have seen it coming

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
11 of those boys were conscripts and were there as part of their 2-year mandatory service

spaceships fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 22, 2018

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

spaceships posted:

several people claiming only deaths were irgc and thus acceptable and justified

spaceships posted:

killing us will always be justified

I think you were trying to go for some kind of ironic joke making these statements in quick succession but you just managed to make yourself look like an ideologue with nothing to add add to the conversation, gj.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Volkerball posted:

The USS Cole wasn't terrorism.

The USS Cole wasn't in a street.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
e: i'm actually not going to bother

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

The USS Cole wasn't in a street.

I was just referring to your "if it had targeted Americans" point. Yes though, that is the key difference, and a parade, even if it is a military one, is a pretty sketchy target. Idk the total collateral damage count but there's reports at least one little kid was killed. This group is trying to avoid getting the ISIS stink on it by claiming that it distinguishes between civilian and military targets but it's not a very compelling argument given the nature of this attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

spaceships posted:

e: i'm actually not going to bother

You shouldn't. I don't like anyone who cheerleads for death itt, and I especially don't like hypocrites. If you want to make the point that this is a tragedy for Iran and should not be justified through some kind of twisted realpolitik, or counted as some kind of perverse win by Iran's enemies, you shouldn't instantly undercut yourself by directing the exact same kind of ugly feelings at another country.

better just to drop the matter here.