Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gynovore posted:

YMMV, but I consider Who fandom to be a lot less toxic than most other nerd fanbases, like Trek and comics.

All fandoms are fundamentally and inherently bad but how bad they are can depend on where you go. I don't think Doctor Who's fandom is necessarily the same as, say, the Star Wars fandom which is dreadful no matter where you go, but a place like Outpost Gallifrey just by itself was notoriously awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Senerio posted:

As another counterpoint, I lost interest in the show around the halfway point of Capaldis first season partly due to the toxicity of the fanbase and partly due to falling behind and not having the desire to catch up, and I'm only just getting back into it because oh hey the new doctor is a woman and that was interesting enough to draw me back in.

Watch Heaven Sent.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m watching Poirot, and Paul McGann has turned up as a doctor, but not the one I was expecting. He’s literally doing his 8 voice too. It’s very weird.

EDIT: someone just said to him “You want to get married, Doctor.” Ahhhh he’s Poirot’s friend! :3:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

I’m watching Poirot, and Paul McGann has turned up as a doctor, but not the one I was expecting. He’s literally doing his 8 voice too. It’s very weird.

Ohhhh, interesting!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just assume that any time McGann turns up in anything he's actually playing the Doctor with amnesia.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

docbeard posted:

I just assume that any time McGann turns up in anything he's actually playing the Doctor with amnesia.

Including the conventions.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

EDIT: someone just said to him “You want to get married, Doctor.” Ahhhh he’s Poirot’s friend! :3:

He's brought some friends with him!

wait this isn't Poirot

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pesky Splinter posted:

He's brought some friends with him!

This is from that very episode! :3:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Capaldi Poirot episode is one with murder by bees iirc. It's a really fun show, and it's hard to see any other actor in the role after David Suchet. I'm glad he did all of them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

The Capaldi Poirot episode is one with murder by bees iirc. It's a really fun show, and it's hard to see any other actor in the role after David Suchet. I'm glad he did all of them.

did this person also write the Agatha Christie episode of Ten's run?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, he's one of the three definitive great detective actors for me. The others are Jeremy Brett and Maury Chaykin as Sherlock Holmes and Nero Wolfe.

I haven't read many Poirots so I don't know if his portrayal's more accurate in some fashion, but Kenneth Branagh playing him a bit like Wallander* with a fancy moustache just feels off after Suchet. (Disclaimer: I haven't seen the Peter Ustinov movies.)

* Did anyone else enjoy the BBC version of Wallander?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, he's one of the three definitive great detective actors for me. The others are Jeremy Brett and Maury Chaykin as Sherlock Holmes and Nero Wolfe.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought the Nero Wolfe TV movies and series were really great. :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who thought the Nero Wolfe TV movies and series were really great. :)

Oh, yeah, they're great. And Timothy Hutton plays a great Archie as well. It's a real shame they never got a chance to do the Zeck trilogy.

The only thing that I imagine might have been better is if NBC had managed to get Orson Welles to play Wolfe when they did their version in the early 80s. They got William Conrad, whose own talent speaks for itself, but he played Wolfe with a beard and that's just not on. :colbert:

Also: William Conrad is my favourite hipster choice for "What if Doctor Who but IN AMERICA?"

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 22, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I found Ustinov and Albert Finney both went too broad with their portrayals of Poirot. I should check out the Branagh one I guess?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, yeah, they're great. And Timothy Hutton plays a great Archie as well. It's a real shame they never got a chance to do the Zeck trilogy.

The only thing that I imagine might have been better is if NBC had managed to get Orson Welles to play Wolfe when they did their version in the early 80s. They got William Conrad, whose own talent speaks for itself, but he played Wolfe with a beard and that's just not on. :colbert:

Also: William Conrad is my favourite hipster choice for "What if Doctor Who but IN AMERICA?"

You could make an argument for Nero Wolfe being a Time Lord, given that the Chaykin/Hutton series progresses from the 1940s through to the 1960s without either Wolfe or Archie aging a day. :v:

(granted that was due to the series' remit of "film the books", including keeping the series contemporaneous with the time period the books were written and published in, while also keeping Wolfe, Archie, etc. all the same age as they were in the earlier stories. But still)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sydney Bottocks posted:

You could make an argument for Nero Wolfe being a Time Lord, given that the Chaykin/Hutton series progresses from the 1940s through to the 1960s without either Wolfe or Archie aging a day. :v:

Aye, it's great, because they didn't adapt them in order so they're mostly doing 1940s and 1950s stories, then they do The Doorbell Rang which jumps ahead to the 1960s and Kari Matchett is hosting a Beatnik party, then they go back to the 40s and 50s for the rest of the show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The_Doctor posted:

I found Ustinov and Albert Finney both went too broad with their portrayals of Poirot. I should check out the Branagh one I guess?

You really don't gave to unless you want to see Johnny Depp get brutally murdered, which hey who doesn't?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Well that's any enthusiasm I had for the idea of Big Finish bringing Dreyfus back as the Master gone

https://twitter.com/DreyfusJames/status/1037382568516169728

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh dear.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
???

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Haha that was my initial reaction too. Took me a little bit to nail down what they're about since their twitter is very vague, but here: https://www.standingforwomen.com/background

Basically a very transphobic organisation & campaign.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, sorry, I should have provided more context. Or included the followup in the replies where he responds to "Cool. Trans men are men too, btw" with "No. They're trans."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gross

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I straight up wrote a message to Big Finish about it; letting them know that it'd be pretty bad optics to bring him back for any further BF stories.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel like he was always a known poo poo.

By way of comparison, Big Finish have employed Richard Franklin in the past, so I doubt they care an awful lot about what someone says on Twitter.

(Edit: um, as poo poo as what Dreyfus says is.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 23, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Open Source Idiom posted:

I feel like he was always a known poo poo.

Yeah I poked through his feed and he's spent the last couple days ranting about how transphobic he is (all while claiming to have plenty of trans friends, of course). What a complete jackass.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Wow, yeah, this guy is a piece of work.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

jivjov posted:

For a guy who seems to like dictionary definitions, funny he doesn't appear to know what the word "regressive" means.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Or he feels he's standing up for some part of the trans community which is like self loathing or something?

:shrug:

I dunno, I got nothin'.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Well that's any enthusiasm I had for the idea of Big Finish bringing Dreyfus back as the Master gone

https://twitter.com/DreyfusJames/status/1037382568516169728

jivjov posted:

Yikes. Yeah, he seems like a poo poo. What is it with these 90s actors and comedians coming out as sodding TERFs?

By way of comparison, Big Finish have employed Richard Franklin in the past, so I doubt they care an awful lot about what someone says on Twitter.

What's up with Richard Franklin? Legit don't know, aside from him alternating between joining UKIP and the Libdems - which is strange enough by itself - and a rumour he hooked up with a fan at a con in a dodgy way.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 23, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm still mildly upset that the rumor David Suchet was up for the role of Doctor back before Matt Smith was cast wasn't true.

Only mildly, because Matt Smith ended up being incredible.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

What's up with Richard Franklin? Legit don't know, aside from him alternating between joining UKIP and the Libdems - which is strange enough by itself - and a rumour he hooked up with a fan at a con in a dodgy way.

If the story's true, and I've no reason to believe it's not, he's just a flat out rapist.

Beyond that it's common knowledge that he used to use the convention circuit as a way of hooking up with younger fans. But yeah, he's a gross man.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
In lighter news, I've read over on Divergent Universe that this image has apparently been found hosted on Big Finish's server:

Wilf!!!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Donna!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Donna's mom!!!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WILF! WILF! WILF! WILF! WILF! WILF!

(Tate did say she was recording more BF this month, at a con last month)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh I do so very hope they actually get Bernard cribbins

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

If the story's true, and I've no reason to believe it's not, he's just a flat out rapist.

Beyond that it's common knowledge that he used to use the convention circuit as a way of hooking up with younger fans. But yeah, he's a gross man.

It's bad enough with what I heard about the one time with a fan, but multiple times? Ew. Yeah, that's loving gross.

Box of Bunnies posted:

In lighter news, I've read over on Divergent Universe that this image has apparently been found hosted on Big Finish's server:

Wilf!!!

This however is not gross and wipes away that distaste :allears:

jivjov posted:

Oh I do so very hope they actually get Bernard cribbins

They've worked with Cribbins before on one of the EDA - be absolutely great if he is actually back as Wilf. For all its problems, I still tear up at The End of Time thanks to him.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
If it is real/accurate to their final plans, I can't imagine they'd put Wilf on the cover of a full cast set if they didn't actually have Cribbins for it. Isn't like it's an x Chronicles range release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wilf is the best

• Locked thread