Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Pirate Radar posted:

yeah so it's a three-day weekend but it keeps being bright and clear during the weeks and gray and lovely on the weekends :( I wanted to go hiking.

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I got this covered. Full moon in the Yukon with the northern lights.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

live every day like the person behind you is just itching for the chance to holler worldstar

you would fit in well in latvia if you replace "holler worldstar" with "ask you to make a call"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

like on the street?

that poo poo is the worst

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you would fit in well in latvia if you replace "holler worldstar" with "ask you to make a call"
who do they want you to call

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

like on the street?

that poo poo is the worst

yeah that's the street mugging 101 over here, the classic. "yo, got a phone to call, <my mum is dying or sth>?" and depending on your reactions like "no credit" or no "phone" the poo poo quickly goes from "what a piece of poo poo, can't help out someone in need with a small thing" to "what if i find that you are lying etc"

before that (very early 2000s, late 90s) they would just ask if you have money and preemptively punch or pull the knife out

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

this broken hill posted:

who do they want you to call

they want to steal my phone

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah that's the street mugging 101 over here, the classic. "yo, got a phone to call, <my mum is dying or sth>?" and depending on your reactions like "no credit" or no "phone" the poo poo quickly goes from "what a piece of poo poo, can't help out someone in need with a small thing" to "what if i find that you are lying etc"

before that (very early 2000s, late 90s) they would just ask if you have money and preemptively punch or pull the knife out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdHZkyD_gUw

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What do Baltic muggers wear? A friend of mine got mugged in St. Petersburg by a guy wearing a velour tracksuit and reported that it was “honestly the most Russian thing that could have happened to me”

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah never talk to anyone on the street pretty much

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Wasnt last year the lowest crime year in basically your entire countries history?

e: Yeah it was. Latvia apparently used to be the crime capital of Europe though. :stonk:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

What do Baltic muggers wear? A friend of mine got mugged in St. Petersburg by a guy wearing a velour tracksuit and reported that it was “honestly the most Russian thing that could have happened to me”

muggers in all ex-ussr republics wear exactly the same stuff, tracksuits. it's been like a street uniform for decades now

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i really need to buy a tracksuit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

yeah never talk to anyone on the street pretty much

yep. literally the only times when it's socially acceptable to talk to a stranger on a street here is a) you need a lighter b) very obvious accident happened and you want to make something sure before calling 911

Furnaceface posted:

Wasnt last year the lowest crime year in basically your entire countries history?

e: Yeah it was. Latvia apparently used to be the crime capital of Europe though. :stonk:

yep, general crime rate has gone approx 30% down over the last decade, very much thanks to eu. small crime (like street muggeries) is on decline (excl. drug stuff), major crime (murder or other crime causing damage in excess of 50 minimal monthly wages - house breakins, car theft) is on the rise.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

i really need to buy a tracksuit

how can you even consider yourself polish without one

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah burglary and theft are the 2 things Travel Canada warns about if traveling to Latvia. Well those and apparently your roads are somehow worse than ours.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Yeah burglary and theft are the 2 things Travel Canada warns about if traveling to Latvia. Well those and apparently your roads are somehow worse than ours.

somehow :thunk:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

joke on you, our state police was recently celebrating that contrary to their skeptical expectations, latvian roads managed to have a day where no one died on them

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how can you even consider yourself polish without one

ive been colonized son

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

forgot the face of my father, etc

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

democracy squats in darkness

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

cinci zoo sniper posted:

democracy squats in darkness

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

joke on you, our state police was recently celebrating that contrary to their skeptical expectations, latvian roads managed to have a day where no one died on them

Thats kind of how things work here from October to April. :smith:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

avs Im going to plant a tree or two in my backyard at some point because you inspired me to replace the 3 diseased birch trees that we had to have removed. Probably red maples because I cant break my Canadian stereotype.

Also because they look super awesome in the fall.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Furnaceface posted:

how are you so informed on how criminal Latvia is

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

how are you so informed on how criminal Latvia is

he lives next to a couple of latvian morons iirc

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

cinci zoo sniper posted:

he lives next to a couple of latvian morons iirc
read that as latvian mormons and shuddered

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

those probably exist

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I did the same initially b t w

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

https://twitter.com/metasynthie/status/1043345731539623936?s=19

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

those probably exist

https://www.jezuskristusbaznica.lv/

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

It's almost like there's this whole incestuous circle of influence and depravity that the right-wing "meritocracy" is made up of.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

omg, im looking up mormons in latvian on youtube and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUvPrMbx5VY
:laffo:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

omg, im looking up mormons in latvian on youtube and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUvPrMbx5VY
:laffo:

LOL they use the same "uplifting" background music as in their US videos. I suddenly remembered how the carpet smells in the church buildings when it kicked in.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
revenge is great

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

getting drunk and having sex was all we could afford to do in high school, im glad prep school kids apparently werent able to think of anything better to do despite having money

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I mentally consider prep schools to be equivalent to a certian kind of private high schools (esp. boarding schools) in Germany, which mostly function to throw money and educational resources at children of the rich so that they can graduate with a passing grade while they would sink in a regular school. Is that the right impression?

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

mandatory lesbian posted:

getting drunk and having sex was all we could afford to do in high school, im glad prep school kids apparently werent able to think of anything better to do despite having money
i went to a school with 1%ers and that's all they did too, the only difference is they didn't get in trouble for it because if they got caught their parents would just buy the school a new auditorium

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

I mentally consider prep schools to be equivalent to a certian kind of private high schools (esp. boarding schools) in Germany, which mostly function to throw money and educational resources at children of the rich so that they can graduate with a passing grade while they would sink in a regular school. Is that the right impression?

yeah basically, except in the process they usually get an education that far surpasses public

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

is that what they called "sex ed" back in the 80s

• Locked thread