Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate The Promised Neverland?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought finding each Wall would be it's own Arc.

show us on the doll where the shonen series hurt you :v:

To be slightly more serious for a minute, this does seem a little earlier than I expected. But I'm glad the author has a fixed end-point in mind and as people have noted, we don't know exactly how long a "last arc" is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

While I would happily read about Ray and Emma's adventures for a very long time, I'll be happy if the authors can finish the story they want to tell the way they want to tell it.

It seems like there's four major things left to do:

1.) Find the seven walls.
2.) Meet Scribbles and make a new promise.
3.) Rescue all of the farm children.
4.) Get everyone safely to the human world.

A fifth could also be Norman escaping and joining up with the main group, or doing whatever his story is leading to. Either way, while they can enter the "final arc" and start the endgame, it's not like this is ending in a few weeks or anything.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Now that scribbles is relevant again, Yugo's name basically mirrored the secret name shenanigans, didn't it?

The promise will be legible name.

It's the Neverenlanding Story.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Chapter is up and our boy Phil is in 4th!!!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow that covered a lot of ground.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That was one hell of a chapter!

Really cool to see demon towns, and even demon kids. This feels like the right way to do a time skip, where you don't have to go back and explain everything that happened in the time you skipped.

Really surprised that Norman beat Ray in the poll. And Musika beat Lewis for Most Popular Demon!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Begemot posted:

That was one hell of a chapter!

Really cool to see demon towns, and even demon kids. This feels like the right way to do a time skip, where you don't have to go back and explain everything that happened in the time you skipped.

Really surprised that Norman beat Ray in the poll. And Musika beat Lewis for Most Popular Demon!

Don losing to Little Bunnie, oof. There were some jokesters and some interesting results in this poll!

I also appreciate that I knew every character in the top 20 with the single exception of Anna. I guess she just never made an impression but apparently she's been around since Gracefield.

Also, regarding the chapter: Yeah, this was a good time skip. It moves us significantly closer to the deadline but not an absurd amount, things can still get done. And they told us the important stuff that happened in the meantime, which is also good because it shows what a severe undertaking this really is- if it happened in real time over the course of a few weeks or months it would've felt a little too easy. This way, we know Emma and co are great for getting it done but they also had to work their asses off to do it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Crosspostin'.

quote:

Also a character from a Promised Neverland apparently got ranked in the Kimetsu no Yaiba poll (59th, 4th tweet you can see it says Sister Crone) and vice-versa (29th)???

https://twitter.com/garai_JLS/status/1038965819554709504?s=19

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fell a few weeks behind on all my manga other than OP so spent a nice Saturday morning catching up on this from the chapter when Gilda and Don set out with Ray and Emma. Had seen a tweet where people mentioned the series ending but hadn't seen anything in the series to indicate that until I caught up on this thread and seen the tweet stating it. It seems super fast but the final arc could be a year or so, who really knows. Also I'd rather a series ends timely than going on for a long time with no real plans, so many great shounen had an incredible first arc or so and then divebomb into poo poo.

I don't mind the magical stuff because it still seems fairly limited and I expected something like this considdering "separation of the world" was a literal thing that happened etc.

TriffTshngo posted:

if anything bad happens to phil i'm closing this thread and disconnecting my internet forever

:hai:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
a chapter

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/the-promised-neverland/en/0/103/page/1

rvm
May 6, 2013

Another action arc, eh?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Emma and the others have been living in the shelter for what, a year now? Several months at least. They knew someone would come for them sooner out later. There are weapons in the shelter, and enough material and stuff to build things, like, say, booby traps; if not, they can harvest what they need from outside. Plus, they're all super smart and talented kids.

What I'm getting at is: loving :rip: those dudes who came a'knocking.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's going to be a slaughter all right.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

One thing I wonder about, in the new chapter: The Day and Night where Emma met Scribbles may not be a real place. I wonder if the Golden Water will just induce the state she fell into at Cuvitdala and allow her to meet him and his draggo again. Then the other kids will have to protect her while she's unconscious until she successfully makes a new promise at which point the Ratri Clan will lose their authority.

I don't see the authors having the kids slaughter humans, so this would be a way to get around that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you think Andrew says the exact same thing every time he enters a shelter hoping he gets the right one?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do you think Andrew says the exact same thing every time he enters a shelter hoping he gets the right one?

Absolutely, his first few he'd just say "Time to exterminate the rats" so it'd always be accurate before he leaned into it fully.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i kinda dismissed that final arc announcement as not meaning much but jeez, the series suddenly feels in a rush to end and it doesn't really make sense to me

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
This series is usually mid-to-high in the weekly rankings and still has an anime coming out, so I'm confident that this arc is going to last for a while even if it feels we're rushing into it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It kinda feels like they're rushing through this overall which is kind of a bummer since they could've done a lot more intrigue and expansion on the world but the author I think always intended for it to be a short series. I think they said we were halfway done around the end of Goldy Pond so the final arc will be as long as the entire manga so far.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
a new chapter

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/the-promised-neverland/en/0/104/page/1

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh man this manga just knows how to ratchet the tension all the way up.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I still cannot get myself to give a drat about all these new characters. Compared to the core cast they just feel... expendable I guess

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mulderman posted:

I still cannot get myself to give a drat about all these new characters. Compared to the core cast they just feel... expendable I guess

The only characters that genuinely matter at this point are Emma, Ray, Norman, Gilda, Don, Phil, Yugo, and Lucas. There are other good boys and girls but the new bunch of characters don't really matter any more than the other however many kids who escaped with Emma and Ray do. If you dislike Yugo or Lucas then I can't help you because personally I like them a lot! but saying that you don't care about, like, Pepe or Gillian is like complaining about not liking Anna or uhh -googles- Lani. They're minor supporting characters, it's fine to not care about them if the core cast is still fantastic.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I like all the kids.

It's nice how they're all extremely competent and involved in every plan. It's not like they're dead weight being dragged around by the main cast, I get the impression they've all got their own things going on. And the artist does a good job of giving them all a distinct look, which is impressive given how many there are.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I like Yugo, but that's probably because he's been such a big part of the story ever since they escaped. Plus the dude has had a pretty interesting arc to follow. Can't really say the same about Lucas. But it's useful to have a few larger guys hanging around that can also get into physical conflict (especially now that we've got human enemies to deal with)
There's a few characters from the new batch that are interesting. Like Adam and Gillian, (even though that last one is mostly due to having a fun design) but it's pretty obvious the manga struggles to balance such a huge cast.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Begemot posted:

I like all the kids.

It's nice how they're all extremely competent and involved in every plan. It's not like they're dead weight being dragged around by the main cast, I get the impression they've all got their own things going on. And the artist does a good job of giving them all a distinct look, which is impressive given how many there are.

Yeah, every plan has always felt like a real team effort, with a high-stakes feel for everyone’s roles. That’s some good storytelling.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Emma caring so strongly about the younger kids and making sure they all make it out alive is enough of a reason for me to care whether or not they bite it, and I imagine Lucas feels similarly about his group.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The kids are partly there for the perfect score even if they are all pretty individually competent. Emma has made it clear that absolute victory where everyone survives is the only acceptable result so the large cast helps raise the tension on how insanely difficult that goal is.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Chapter 105

poo poo’s getting real now.

Emma is gonna be pissed when she finds out Andrew is their supporter.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Radish posted:

The kids are partly there for the perfect score even if they are all pretty individually competent. Emma has made it clear that absolute victory where everyone survives is the only acceptable result so the large cast helps raise the tension on how insanely difficult that goal is.

whoops

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

RatHat posted:

Chapter 105

poo poo’s getting real now.

Emma is gonna be pissed when she finds out Andrew is their supporter.

is that a guess or was it confirmed

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Futaba Anzu posted:

Guess.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Futaba Anzu posted:

He appears to be sending morse code to them in chapter 98 but I guess it could be a red herring. Either way if he's their supporter he definitely doesn't intend to save everyone.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jesus. It makes sense now why nobody died during the Goldy Pond battle. If they had, this would have just been a continuing trend of randos dying. By holding back til now, Emma watching people die and being unable to save them has a lot of impact and adds to the hopelessness. Please be safe... Gillian!!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Oh no, not uh...

Who were those two again?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha yeah that prediction aged poorly pretty fast.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Oh no, not uh...

Who were those two again?

They were probably never named, but that doesn't matter to us. Emma is the main character and it matters to her. The point of what just happened isn't us feeling bad about what happened, it's us seeing it happening right in front of Emma and her reaction to it.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Emma's seen a couple of bodies and she saw Norman walk away but she's never seen another kid get straight up murdered before.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/the-promised-neverland/en/0/106/page/1

No guys don't :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They're almost certainly going to blow up the shelter with the self-destruct function that was mentioned a while back.