Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

More stripes, just keep going until you've got the whole barcode for a replacement hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dagen H posted:

Please don't die, ok?

Contrary to evidence provided by the recent activity in this thread, I did not die.

Still no back seat. Called the dude up a few weeks ago and asked about it but apparently they're still kinda backed up. It's a pretty small operation over there and he gets some pretty beefy jobs from what I've seen online so I don't really think he's just feeding me bullshit. I mean, he probably is, but I choose to not get pissy about it. He said maybe another month or so when I called, but we'll see what happens. Again, not a super huge deal as it doesn't affect driveability.

Now speaking of driveability, I've decided that I've been way too much of a lazy-rear end this summer about getting this pig rolling. I've got a wedding to be in halfway through August and I want this thing to move before then. I'm gonna start throwing some juice at the battery this week and I'll see if it wants to fire up this weekend. I'm thinking I'll hose the engine off a bit as it was making some smoke last time. Probably just grimy handprints and dust and crap burning off. I don't foresee any burnout videos in my immediate future, but I think at least a quick shakedown through the neighborhood is in order. The registration is long expired and I doubt I'll renew it right before winter, but I guess we'll see. If the upholstery shop weren't so far away, I'd go pick up the seat and install it in the parking lot. I doubt I'll get the car registered before the seat is ready so I don't wanna be running around miles from home with a sticker that's been expired for 2+ years.

I was nervous about driving this thing after having taken it apart and putting it back together, but I'm feeling good now. Confident. Excited to drive it. I gotta make this happen.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I was nervous about driving this thing after having taken it apart and putting it back together, but I'm feeling good now. Confident. Excited to drive it. I gotta make this happen.

:bisonyes:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
If I didn’t just find out my mufflers are an 8 week lead time I might have challenged you to a race on drivability.

Good luck sir!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

StormDrain posted:

If I didn’t just find out my mufflers are an 8 week lead time I might have challenged you to a race on drivability.

Good luck sir!

Great googly moogly what kind of muffler takes 2 months? Is this for that Fairlane or Galaxie that you have?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Great googly moogly what kind of muffler takes 2 months? Is this for that Fairlane or Galaxie that you have?

The right kind.

Galaxie. Just moved it into the garage, gonna start a thread!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I waited almost 6 months between ordering the turbo-back for my C70 and receiving it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Ok, so Shakedown Run Mk .5 was both fairly non-eventful but informative nonetheless.

Battery apparently took a charge as it cranked strong until the fuel showed up and it fired right away. Still falls on its face upon application of throttle. A bit troublesome, but I think a hard Italian tuneup would do wonders.

Item 1 - Trans leak. All that cranking seems to have made a trans leak apparent. Wouldn't go into gear upon first shift out of neutral (car only starts in neutral. I don't give a poo poo about that at all). Checked the floor and found a lovely bloody puddle of ATF. Topped that up a bit and it now shifts and moves under its own power, but the trans is a bit grumbly about doing so. Gonna need more juice there I think, but I want to figure out that leak first. I'm too busy and too hot to do that today.

Item 2 - Buy more PS fluid. Noticed that the steering was pretty stiff. Checked the PS fluid and it's way low. I never really purged/burped/cycled the PS system after completely emptying it so I'm not really surprised there at all. I am annoyed, however, because I dumped in the last little bit of PS fluid I have and it's still low. It feels better but now it's louder than any Ford PS pump you've ever heard.

Item 3 - Horn WTFery. So as I was playing with the steering, the horn honked when I cranked left a little ways. Odd. Happens when the wheels gets to maybe 10 o'clock or so (centered being 12:00). Quite annoying and kind of put the kibosh on the whole "take it around the block" thing. I'm not gonna be that guy. I put the front end up in the air real quick just to test a bit and the horn does NOT honk when the car is off. It only sounds when I crank the wheel if the car is running. Very strange. Gonna need to do some serious troubleshooting on this one because I don't know what the gently caress at this point.

So those are things that I want to get done before Shakedown Mk. 1 can actually happen. Still felt good to have it move on it's own, though. Items 1 and 2 probably won't be too bad but I'm already scratching my head on the third one. Oh well. Until next time.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Alright, made a little progress today. Not a ton, but at least I checked off items 2 and 3 of the previous post.

PS fluid bought and pump has been topped off. Well not topped off, but at least it's registering on the drat dipstick now. Fired it up and it sounds a lot less Ford-y now. Good stuff. Horn still blew on left turns though. Gotta fix that.

Picked up a new turn signal cam when I grabbed the PS fluid last week. I should have bought this thing a long drat time ago when I was fighting my old broken one. The only potential 'gotcha' here is that the replacement is for a tilt column and mine's non-tilt. Only place I saw replacement non-tilt cams is Classic Industries and I'm not paying however much for the cam plus shipping when I can just go to the nearest parts store and pay six bucks for this thing.

Steering wheel puller I rented came with the lock plate tool as well so that's a nice bonus. That snap ring in there put up a bigger fight than I remembered from last time, but it all came apart easily enough. I pulled the old cam out (snapped the horn lead tube off again while I was loving with the ring) and swapped in the new. Got the wheel back on, fired it up, and cranked the wheel left. Glorious silence. The horn now only sounds when I give it explicit permission to do so.

The culprit:

Too loving humid and gross today to climb under there to look at the trans, though. I had sweat dripping off my nose fighting the drat lock plate ring. Fingers crossed I'll get a call from the seat dude today.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
It's back.

And it looks great.

And I'm super happy with it.

That's a big one off the list. I may put it in the air tomorrow to see what was up with that puddle of ATF. Shakedown Mk. 1 may be happening soon.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yes.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:f5:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Very nice. We want video when you drive it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LloydDobler posted:

Very nice. We want video when you do a burnout.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Raluek posted:

Burnie request

Yeah, burnouts won't be until at least Shakedown Mk II. Honestly, between the sticky 275s, LSD, and the completely choked-out weinery 350, I'm not super confident on burnout capabilities. The 3.42s oughtta help, but... :ohdear:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So contrary to weather forecasts, it's not in the mid 80s with monstrous humidity today (yet). Just over 70 with monstrous humidity and rain. Seeing an opportunity (and being badgered by my wife to "just go do it"), I put the car up on the ramps (under its own power :smug:) and went hunting for an ATF leak. Still no drips on the floor and all I saw on the car was a small drip collected on the shifter linkage. No drat idea where the puddle came from a couple weeks ago when it fired up :confused:. So that's good, I guess? If my wipers worked, I'd probably take it around the block today. Also, I don't feel like pushing this goddamn thing in the rain when something inevitably goes sideways. Weather's supposed to be a bit rear end pretty much all weekend so we'll see what happens.

SOON

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Puking out the vent line? I remember reading somewhere that if a trans is fully dry, you can't fill it all in one shot because you need the pump to move some fluid into the converter first.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Puking out the vent line? I remember reading somewhere that if a trans is fully dry, you can't fill it all in one shot because you need the pump to move some fluid into the converter first.

Maybe? It was a pretty good puddle and it showed up in a big hurry when I fired it up. Definitely acted like it kind of "burst" out of somewhere. I thought maybe I exploded a cooler line or something at first, but I've fired it up a few times since and there's nothing under there. Checked the lines and flare nuts when I was under there and they're all dry. Now that I'm looking at pictures, it wouldn't surprise me if it was the vent.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Today was the big day. 60s for the temp and low humidity means I won't sweat my balls completely off if I have to push this fucker back home. Checked fluids before I left and everything's groovy. Coolant's good, P/S is good, ATF is good (and the drip catcher I put under the car last time is totally dry. I'm thinking the last ATF 'leak' was the vent burping.), oil is good, let's party. Parking brake cable came off the pedal, but whatever. I'll fix that once I look up how to actually put it together the right way. Probably should have double-checked tire pressures, but they're fine for a short trip.

I was a bit gentle coming out of the driveway as everything is still technically "new". Suspension bushings don't have any miles on them, brakes aren't really bedded, rear end is cobbled together from 3 different vehicles and has a grand total of about 80 feet of experience in it as a unit. Still, nothing abnormal outside of the usual creaks and clicks of a "fresh" build. Made it to the stop sign at the end of the block with zero drama. Made the left and started feeling a bit sassy. Rolled into the throttle when the inevitable happened. A pop and the horrific sound of metal on asphalt.

What the gently caress was it? Driveshaft? No, still moving under power. Rear end explode? No, again, still moving. gently caress, better park it.

Oh.

Well.

Ha. lovely part was having to run back to the house to grab a pair of pliers to cut the wire that was serving as my muffler hanger. Sounds pretty nasty for a choked out 350 now, anyway :).

Drove it back home with zero other issues. I'd call Shakedown Mk 1 a loving win. Blame the vertical on the videographer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS0d8lRDBPY

Oh, and I kept my promise to myself by getting it on the road by the end of summer. Autumnal equinox is technically at 8:54 tonight :v:.

So I'm not real sure what's next. Registration is way expired so I'll need to renew that before any serious trips, but I don't think I want to really spend the money to just have it sit in the garage all winter so that will probably happen next spring. I really need to get the wiring overhauled in this thing as I have no dash lights, no wipers, and no passenger headlight. I should probably go over the fuses to see what's going on in there, but the whole harness really needs to get replaced. That may be a winter project. It's driveable as-is so I'm pretty drat pleased right now. :toot:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Fantastic. Good work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm pretty drat pleased right now. :toot:

You drat well should be.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Great job! Gotta be a huge relief to have it back under its own power.

Wiring seems like a good winter project to me. A lot can be done at the kitchen table, then placed on the car and terminated.

But first maybe another video with a mic near the exhaust...

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

StormDrain posted:

But first maybe another video with a mic near the exhaust...

Not a bad idea.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm so happy to see this car on the street. You've done a great job getting it to this point.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh, and I kept my promise to myself by getting it on the road by the end of summer. Autumnal equinox is technically at 8:54 tonight :v:.

Technically correct is the best kind of correct. /futurama

loving congratulations. It looks really good.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

We've seen the up close pics a bunch but the perfection of the wheel/tire/stance never really hit until I saw 0:21 on that video.
Good to see it driving.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Today was an easy day of just fixing a couple small things.

First on the list was getting the muffler back on to where it hopefully won't get blown off again. I pulled the band clamp I'd had on there to begin with off and even tightened all the way down (with the soup can shim) I was able to slide it on and off the stub on the muffler. No wonder it blew off. I went and bought some parts to do it the right way. 2 1/8" coupler and a couple standard exhaust clamps. Cinched them down pretty tight and I very much doubt this thing is going anywhere now. Made a support for the other side of the muffler as well that's now tied to a bolt holding a fuel line clamp. Avoided having to go around the fuel lines so I'm confident in that side as well. It's not doing much - just taking some weight off the exhaust hanger on the inlet side of the muffler.

Once that was up, I wanted to get the parking brake cable back on the pedal. I don't know how I hooked it up the first time to have it pop right off, but I obviously hosed something up. Checked the factory assembly manual and that didn't really tell me much because the little clip that I have doesn't seem to match the clip called for in the book. Either way, I got the cable back in the little clevis-type thing on the pedal mechanism and it seems pretty good to me. Actuated the pedal and release a few times and it seems to be good to go. Parking brake even holds the car still :v:.

Had a look at the fuses while I was down there (easy enough, there's only like 9 fuses) and saw that the tiny one for the dash lights was in fact blown. I'll have to pick that up sometime and make sure everything actually works.

That's about it for today. Just a few easy things, but they needed to get done. I think wiring harness will be the next purchase. Might try to score it when one of those big ebay coupons comes around.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

When is the wiring harness coming up? I don’t mean to pester you, but I have an irrational interest in your project.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Well I'm in the middle of an expensive-rear end vacation, so it won't be real soon, but I hope I can get that rolling before too awful long. Thanks for keeping this thing out of the archives :v:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'm not dead! Half loving frozen, though, jesus. Couple things:

1 - what in the gently caress did they do to imgur now? Albums are all hosed up.

2 - I'm already extremely intimidated:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Oh god I have no idea what I'm doing.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

:allears:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You seem to have a very clear direction. Keep that garage heated and burst forth triumphant in the spring?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've been tempted on many an occasion to get one of these for my C10.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Took a little time today to get sort of acquainted with the main dash harness. This one has the fuse block on it so it goes in first and then feeds all the other crap. Everything is terminated with proper connectors with the exception of the radio wires and the neutral safety and backup switches so that's cool. I'm pretty sure the colors are all supposed to match the factory harness so it should be fairly easy to make sure everything goes to the right place. I threw some labels on the different runs to make life a little easier when it actually goes in the car. All this stuff is pointed out and drawn out in the instructions, but having labels on the wires themselves will be nice. The wires are actually printed with pretty descriptive labels too, but I figure they'll be kinda hard to read in the car.

I want to get some kind of wrap for this stuff once it all goes in so I don't have naked wires running everywhere. I'm thinking about picking up some of this stuff to do that. Anybody have any experience with that stuff or anything similar?

Anyway, still too drat cold for me to care to go out in the garage. We'll get there, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I haven't tried that yet but I like the look of it. I have the corrugated split loom on a lot of mine and it has turned quite brittle over the years so I'm less than happy with it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I just want to chime in and say that I realized this weekend that I had lost track of this thread three years ago, and it was real nice catching up on it and seeing things come along. Good luck with the rest!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

I haven't tried that yet but I like the look of it. I have the corrugated split loom on a lot of mine and it has turned quite brittle over the years so I'm less than happy with it.

That's my experience with the plastic stuff too. Ends up super brittle so you're left with goopy old electrical tape and plastic shards.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
The wiring kit has 7 bags containing different harnesses:

-Dash
-Instruments
-Engine
-Console
-Front Lights
-Rear Body
-Courtesy Lights

I won't be using the console harness as that's for a factory console with gauge pack. I worked my way through the first two bags yesterday so that means I'm already a third of the way done with rewiring this thing. Sorta.

I didn't take a ton of pictures during the process as I was more focused on doing the actual work, but I've got a few to throw in here. First step was obviously getting all the old poo poo out. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. Just a lot of chasing wires and literally unplugging stuff. Headlight and wiper switches, connector to rear body harness, dimmer switch (new one included with kit which is nice), heater controls, ignition switch, blah blah blah. Ended up yanking the instrument cluster out and dropping the column a bit to get to some harder to reach stuff. Took a couple reference pictures that came out a bit crap since things were cramped.

Ignition switch:

Neutral safety/backup lights:

Once all the wires were actually unplugged, I undid the engine compartment side of the bulkhead connector and could then remove the fuse block.

Did a quick comparison shot with old and new dash harnesses. Need to get some wrap for this rainbow collective.

There's a pretty good-sized connector in the new harness (third from left in above picture) that's all for running accessories. Fuel pump, power seats, power locks, windows, etc. 2 battery feeds, 3 ignition feeds, and 1 accessory feed. Pretty cool. I'll definitely use the fuel pump feed, but maybe I'll use the other ones for some other projects *cough*exhaustcutouts*cough*.

In true Haynes manual fashion, installation was the reverse of removal. Screw in the fuse block (no more glass fuses!) and then route the poo poo back to where it needs to go and plug it all back in. I wasn't about to put the instrument panel back in without doing that bag too, so it was next. The kit comes with a new headlight switch including shaft and knob, but the knob is billet aluminum and pretty lame. Luckily, it accepted the factory retainer nut and knob so it still looks totally stock. Very cool.

The instrument harness itself was the first foray into terminating the cables myself.

The two plugs on the right in the picture were already populated with wires. Those plug into the dash harness that I just installed. The plugs on the left of the picture are what actually plug into the factory gauge cluster to run the fuel gauge (or tach if the car has the console gauges), blinkers, high beam indicator, and idiot lights. The smaller one grounds the cluster. Depending on the car (Nova, Camaro, or Firebird), the wires will get plugged into different slots on that connector. My job here was to cut all the wires to length, terminate them with the little clips, and populate the plug as directed in the instructions. This is the kind of poo poo that made me nervous about this project, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be. I'd practiced on a few spare ends to get my technique down and these went pretty well. Got them all snapped it and plugged everything in after the instrument panel went back in. Hung the column back up, put the wheel back on (I love having to only undo six screws to pull it now), and that's 2 bags finished. Engine harness is up next. It's... not small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Bumpin' this cause this beautiful car needs more posts about it.