Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You're killing it Nesbit!

I have a question; Americana is going to launch in a short while, and I'm doing a final look over of the options I've picked. I'm going with PoD coupons for the book and I wanted to see what peoples thoughts about that is. For anyone who doesn't know, this is where you pay a chunk of the cost at the KS, get a coupon and order the book at printing cost from DriveThru directly.

The up shoot of this is that it's cheaper for me and for the people buying it - if I used offset, standard model shipping the books would be $40~, rather than the $30~ they're estimated right now. It also makes the goal smaller, and frankly is basically the only practical way I could do the project.

The downsides is that it "feels" a bit weird and convoluted, but plenty of successful KSs are using this model so maybe I'm just over thinking it.

Anyway here's the cover for the game, we're hoping to launch October 1st!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yesssss, gay orcs on my birthday! :3:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Mine too!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I have a question; Americana is going to launch in a short while, and I'm doing a final look over of the options I've picked. I'm going with PoD coupons for the book and I wanted to see what peoples thoughts about that is. For anyone who doesn't know, this is where you pay a chunk of the cost at the KS, get a coupon and order the book at printing cost from DriveThru directly.

The up shoot of this is that it's cheaper for me and for the people buying it - if I used offset, standard model shipping the books would be $40~, rather than the $30~ they're estimated right now. It also makes the goal smaller, and frankly is basically the only practical way I could do the project.

The downsides is that it "feels" a bit weird and convoluted, but plenty of successful KSs are using this model so maybe I'm just over thinking it.

Thanks!

I've backed a project or two in the past that used that model and its fine. It is a little clunky but it works for people that just care about the content.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Cross-posting from the Level 99 thread, the new BattleCON Kickstarter is up.

This is the final BattleCON Kickstarter ever (though not the final BattleCON release, they just want to Kickstart other, new stuff and BattleCON is a big enough game to stand on its own now), containing the Remastered version of Devastation of Indines, a new set with 10 characters based on the winning submissions from the character design contest they ran years ago (Wanderers of Indines), and BattleCON Unleashed, which is a big ol' cardboard box designed to store all 110 (!!!) characters and comes with tuckboxes and extra bases to bring War Remastered and Fate of Indines up to the same standards as these newest boxes. Also, most importantly, Unleashed (the box) has a balance pass for the entire pre-existing roster, making previously-broken characters balanced again (:siren: Voco doesn't suck now! :siren:). Also, if you're just getting into it and have money to burn, the Kickstarter has the option to get all the other boxes.

For anyone who's never heard of it before, BattleCON is IMO the best "fighting card game" (i.e. boardgames that try to play like a fighting game plays), where both players have perfect information (you always know everything your opponent could do) and you try to predict what the opponent is doing on any given turn so you can play something that beats it. It's very simple to learn (it takes like, 10 minutes to learn the basic mechanics, and the cards have all the rules text you need to worry about on them), but has a really high skill ceiling since there's so many character matchups to learn.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 21, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

Cross-posting from the Level 99 thread, the new BattleCON Kickstarter is up.

Just for curiosity's sake, what's the lowest pledge tier that would get someone all of the content if they don't own any of it? The New Game Complete tier?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Just for curiosity's sake, what's the lowest pledge tier that would get someone all of the content if they don't own any of it? The New Game Complete tier?

I think that would be the limited Perfect Collection tier. Battlecon has an obscene amount of content, just fyi.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

If you want everything including several expansions that aren't getting updated to the new rules: Perfect Collection ($370).

If you just want all four main boxes with current balance (so you have every tournament-legal, balanced character): New Game Plus ($150), then add War Remastered, Fate, Trials and the promos as add-ons via pledge manager ($50+$30+$40+$30) after the campaign ends (or just buy them retail) for a total of $300.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 22, 2018

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Perfect collection is a trap, you just want the main games and the storage solution.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Perfect Collection tier is all claimed anyway

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I'm super excited!

HazCat
May 4, 2009

jivjov posted:

Perfect Collection tier is all claimed anyway

Welp, I guess I'll be skipping this game entirely despite waiting forever for a KS specifically so I could go all in on it :geno:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

HazCat posted:

Welp, I guess I'll be skipping this game entirely despite waiting forever for a KS specifically so I could go all in on it :geno:

You can still get everything in the tier by backing at whatever tier you like and getting addons. The only advantage of the Perfect Collection tier was that you only had to click one button to get everything, instead of having to do stuff via pledge management after the campaign ends.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

HazCat posted:

Their big problem with the "Perfect Collection" tier is that they had a very small number of the smaller expansions available (And this one didn't even include Dev Extended at all, despite claiming to be "everything battlecon").

Honestly, you're not missing a whole lot skipping the smaller expansions; if you want everything of consequence, pledge for the New Game Plus tier at $150 (or New Game Complete for $180 if you want the lore book) and then add on $150 for War, Trials, Fate, and the three Promo fighters from the Trials kickstarter.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

battlecon is so loving good and pure UGH gently caress i love it so much

e: yeah the stuff you're "missing" out on is stuff that's out of date and won't be used anyways

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

You can still get everything in the tier by backing at whatever tier you like and getting addons. The only advantage of the Perfect Collection tier was that you only had to click one button to get everything, instead of having to do stuff via pledge management after the campaign ends.

Yeah have just been digging into the comments and found that. Guess I'll have to set aside some time to work out what I'd need to add on. Is everything actually available as addons, though? The reason for limited Perfect Collection slots is low supplies of one specific expansion, so how can that be available as an addon?

Alternatively, there apparently is a possibility of more Perfect Collections being added later, so I might just sit on a $1 pledge and see if that happens :effort:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The reason supplies were so low on that one is it was not updated and no one uses it though, I thought?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's worth noting that:

a) the storage box is only ever going to be available via this KS so if you want to get the tuckboxes and extra bases for characters from the previous boxes, that's what you really want to back for. Devastation Remastered and Wanderers are going to be available commercially after the Kickstarter ends, and obviously War Remastered/Fate/Trials already are.

b) there will be a DriveThruCards print and play file with all the WarRe/Fate/Trials balance changes (which are included in the storage box for this KS), for people who can't back this. The flipside to this is the colours on the cardbacks for DriveThru POD stuff can be very inconsistent from what I've heard.

HazCat posted:

Yeah have just been digging into the comments and found that. Guess I'll have to set aside some time to work out what I'd need to add on. Is everything actually available as addons, though? The reason for limited Perfect Collection slots is low supplies of one specific expansion, so how can that be available as an addon?

Alternatively, there apparently is a possibility of more Perfect Collections being added later, so I might just sit on a $1 pledge and see if that happens :effort:

The 100 Perfect Collections limit is supposedly because that's a nice round number they can guarantee of "absolutely everything including the obsolete poo poo;" they'll have more copies of the stuff (including the obsolete poo poo) available via the pledge manager, but on a first come first serve basis and based purely on what they can dig up out of storage, because those obsolete expansions are not being updated or reprinted.

The fact that they're not being updated is also why you don't really want them since they won't really be usable with most of BattleCON.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 22, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

If you want everything including several expansions that aren't getting updated to the new rules: Perfect Collection ($370).

If you just want all four main boxes with current balance (so you have every tournament-legal, balanced character): New Game Plus ($150), then add War Remastered, Fate, Trials and the promos as add-ons via pledge manager ($50+$30+$40+$30) after the campaign ends (or just buy them retail) for a total of $300.

Hachi machi that's a lotta dosh

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mors Rattus posted:

The reason supplies were so low on that one is it was not updated and no one uses it though, I thought?

Yeah. Though a lot of them were interesting novelties, they were just that: novelties. Few people played with them very often.

Granted, I've been a BattleCON completist to the Nth degree and speak from a position of relative privilege, the most interesting variants that I've played the most of (Arenas, Bosses, and BattleQUEST) are included in War and Devastation. There are a lot of variants but I've hardly seen anybody use them ever, and none of them are particularly balanced or tuned - they were essentially experiments that never caught on.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Hachi machi that's a lotta dosh

It's a lot of game.

If you want to dip your toe in, you can get just Devastation Remastered from this KS (maybe get the storage box too if you think you'll like the game, since that's a one-off) and still have enough characters to last you a good, long time. You can buy the other boxes at retail later.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, even acknowledging that BattleCON is a well-designed game there's absolutely no reason for anyone who's never played it before to plunk down 300-some dollars up front. If you absolutely can't stand the FOMO just getting the big carrying case + the remastered Devastation is sufficient to give you enough game to play for a good long while, and that's if you just can't bear to use DIY tuckboxes or something, otherwise you can dip your toe in for like $30-40.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Flying Circus just updated with art samples.

Get hype. Get hella hype.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
And if anyone wants to play BattleCON before deciding to back it, there's both BattleCON Online (for a limited roster with a slick UI and the latest balance changes) and a Tabletop Sim module (for the entire War Remastered, Fate and Trials roster, but without the latest balance changes).

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Gwnerally, If the guy running the Kickstarter doesn't have extensive experience delivering physical stuff, the POD coupons are more attractive to me than people offering physical rewards themselves because it's about 50 less things that could go horribly wrong removed from the process.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Gwnerally, If the guy running the Kickstarter doesn't have extensive experience delivering physical stuff, the POD coupons are more attractive to me than people offering physical rewards themselves because it's about 50 less things that could go horribly wrong removed from the process.

This is my thoughts on it too. Orc Stabr was a single sheet of paper and it still had some goosey shipping nonsense, a full book can only be harder than that. Plus this way international physical rewards are A Thing.

Thanks for setting my mind at ease on that one ya'll. I was having a bit of a panic about it yesterday.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, given the tribulations of international shipping these days, particularly for smaller publishers, I can't fault anyone who opts to go that route.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I actually feel better backing PoD stuff these days. Leave printing and shipping to those equipped to do so, let the content creator focus on creating content.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lemon-Lime posted:

And if anyone wants to play BattleCON before deciding to back it, there's both BattleCON Online (for a limited roster with a slick UI and the latest balance changes) and a Tabletop Sim module (for the entire War Remastered, Fate and Trials roster, but without the latest balance changes).

If it's as good as the Sentinels of the Multiverse online game, I'll give it a shot.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

If it's as good as the Sentinels of the Multiverse online game, I'll give it a shot.

It's got some beta woes but it's all in all pretty solid.

HazCat posted:

They just added a 600-limit tier with all the core (non-outdated-expansion) stuff for anyone who cares - all five main boxes (including the two new ones from this KS), all three Trials promo fighters, Unleashed, the artbook, and three playmats for $315.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The main limits facing Battlecon Online are that it has, like, two coders.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Those coders are workaholics, mind you. Seki takes one day off a week to spend time with his kids.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MollyMetroid posted:

Those coders are workaholics, mind you. Seki takes one day off a week to spend time with his kids.

Yeah I honestly was a little concerned listening to him on the podcast. He doesn't stop working.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

nesbit37 posted:

Bee Lives has funded! This is so exciting as my first kickstarter!

Time to hit those stretch goals!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/580070528/bee-lives-we-will-only-know-summer

I just backed this, it looks neat. I am not super into bees myself, but my ex wife is, so this looks like it will make for a good gift for our son to give her.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

For people wanting all the Bacon they added a new tier just for you that dumps the dumb outdated stuff.

theinfantprodigy
Apr 11, 2009
That meet up for Orc Stabr today? Holy poo poo...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

theinfantprodigy posted:

Storytime?

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

theinfantprodigy posted:

I need more Orc Content!!!

Also, Flying Circus has been shaping up really well. Erika has been posting a ton of updates and changes on Twitter, and it seems like she's stripped out a lot of the needless complexity from the battle system. Also, cool planes. So many cool planes.

theinfantprodigy
Apr 11, 2009
So the meetup took place about an hour from where I live. Figured I'd make some cupcakes and rock on up.

The area is pretty suburban, and the park is in the middle of a number of apartment buildings. Lots of people around doing normal weekend stuff - dog walking, peewee football, BBQing - nothing too Orc related at first, but then I saw this sign at the edge of some woods.

Next thing I know Limm Ghomizar himself emerged from the "portal" and led me inside to where the Orc Stabr was stuck into the ground. As the proverbial chosen one Limm had me pull the knife, which...took like two seconds. It was not in there deep.

Then Limm walked off, I returned to the park, and lo! I still had the Orc Stabr, which I then got to take home. Seriously - Limm straight up let me take a forged metal, one-of-a-kind knife home with me. It is huge.

I'm honestly in shock. This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's forkin awesome.