Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Great Lakes region has great food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Much like all British food is judged by the standard of what was available pre EU membership all American food is judged by the Midwest

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

even the british who eat nothing but grey sludge all day cannot shut up about food
Your national dish is cheesy chips m8

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jose posted:

Much like all British food is judged by the standard of what was available pre EU membership all American food is judged by the Midwest

remember how that Iowa weirdo kept on trying convince people that things like Iowa Chop weren't a culinary abomination and that Des Moines was some sort of cultural mecca?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i fuckin LOVE food

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jose posted:

The Midwest's food sucks the most because it is the most purely Northern European part of the country in terms of ancestry. What does this tell us lol.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grape posted:

The Midwest's food sucks the most because it is the most purely Northern European part of the country in terms of ancestry. What does this tell us lol.

From the boring white people who thought lutefisk is a good culinary idea.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Let me show you the cuisine of my people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imM6ZmH390c&t=13s

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

jBrereton posted:

it's not cheese it's curds, that's why you can't get it outside of canada. it's got a special exemption from some kind of pasturization requirement? almost every other country bans that process.

real poutine is not for me but it's not really like cheesy chips at all

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

CoolCab posted:

it's not cheese it's curds, that's why you can't get it outside of canada. it's got a special exemption from some kind of pasturization requirement? almost every other country bans that process.

real poutine is not for me but it's not really like cheesy chips at all

so its like... paneer/ricotta on chips?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
The English are easily a worse influence on world history than the Germans

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1043598858373226496?s=19

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

By topple does he mean push her over. I can get behind that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

he means both

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

alphabettitouretti posted:

By topple does he mean push her over. I can get behind that.

Getting behind someone before they get pushed over is comedy gold.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

The English are easily a worse influence on world history than the Germans

you gotta hand it to the germans though, they tried real hard to make up the difference

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 03:00 on Sep 23, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

yeah poutine sucks, who cares

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Tourtiere is better.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Yinlock posted:

you gotta hand it to the germans though, they tried real hard to make up the difference

what if it turns out everyone was wrong and the real problem wasn't anglos, it was saxons

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Mandoric posted:

what if it turns out everyone was wrong and the real problem wasn't anglos, it was saxons

That’s what the Scottish believe isn’t it

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

He calls the other guy "the human being king" at one point.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I'm Dying :eyepoop:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Yinlock posted:

The Germans were quite late to the global imperialism game, and it must have really galled them that they couldn't inflict the same degree of human misery as France or the Brits. Also true of Italy and Japan. :tinfoil:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

hakimashou posted:

That’s what the Scottish believe isn’t it

The Scots were worse tbh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grape posted:

The Germans were quite late to the global imperialism game, and it must have really galled them that they couldn't inflict the same degree of human misery as France or the Brits. Also true of Italy and Japan. :tinfoil:

Japan was definitely a case of trying to do a lot of catch up in a short time. (And seemingly the attitude of 'colonise or be colonised')

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Japan was definitely a case of trying to do a lot of catch up in a short time. (And seemingly the attitude of 'colonise or be colonised')

It didn't help that Britain insisted on "non-whites are inferior" being written into the League of Nations charter so that the Indians didn't get any ideas

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Grape posted:

Believe it or not most Germans in Bismarckian/Wilhelmine Germany didn't really care about grabbing colonies or doing much with those few the Empire managed to snap up in Africa and Asia. The colonial office had a hell of a time getting anyone to settle overseas, and not just because they were kinda crappy compared to what the British and French had stolen elsewhere in the world.

Of course when it comes to "inflicting the same degree of human misery as France or the Brits," they certainly can't be accused of not trying their best.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Believe it or not most Germans in Bismarckian/Wilhelmine Germany didn't really care about grabbing colonies or doing much with those few the Empire managed to snap up in Africa and Asia.
Nor did the Brits any time the public was asked. I suspect the same was true of the French, given how aggressively not in favour of the Indochina war the public was (and even how ambivalent a lot of French were about Algeria despite that theoretically being a part of France rather than a "proper" colony).

The postwar "boom" in people being forced out to the southern hemisphere white colonies of settlement in the British empire was a very exceptional result of there being masses of excess shipping, millions of people whose jobs at home had been destroyed, and at least hundreds of thousands of refugees, war babies, and so on which the British government preferred to send literally to the other side of the world than deal with in a country that was so impoverished by "winning" another world war that it could barely feed its people or get roofs over heads.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Believe it or not most Germans in Bismarckian/Wilhelmine Germany didn't really care about grabbing colonies or doing much with those few the Empire managed to snap up in Africa and Asia. The colonial office had a hell of a time getting anyone to settle overseas, and not just because they were kinda crappy compared to what the British and French had stolen elsewhere in the world.

Of course when it comes to "inflicting the same degree of human misery as France or the Brits," they certainly can't be accused of not trying their best.

I give them 0.8 Belgiums.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I give them 0.8 Belgiums.

Well yes no one can touch them in terms of sheer, open-eyed horribleness, but again it's not like the other colonial powers didn't try their damnedest.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/1043923578339635200

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/23/labour-members-in-open-revolt-at-union-backed-party-reforms

Whats the story on this, it says that party members were chanting "shame on the unions!" Did the labour unions betray the party?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hakimashou posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/23/labour-members-in-open-revolt-at-union-backed-party-reforms

Whats the story on this, it says that party members were chanting "shame on the unions!" Did the labour unions betray the party?

If by 'betray' you mean 'finally responding to our betrayal and abandonment of them'.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If by 'betray' you mean 'finally responding to our betrayal and abandonment of them'.

Snitching up the membership on Open Selections was a crock of bullshit, if anything they helped save the jobs of the people in the party who've been most hostile to the unions over the years

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
A lot of the unions are pretty right wing tbh

Also there has always been an issue with union leaders being more willing to defend their cushy jobs than be radical left wing voices. The 80s NUM is the exception, not the rule

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Angela Rayner wants to go full boomer authoritarian on the internet, hopefully Labour dismiss it out of hand and it gets no traction.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1044165771113496576

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

MikeCrotch posted:

A lot of the unions are pretty right wing tbh

Also there has always been an issue with union leaders being more willing to defend their cushy jobs than be radical left wing voices. The 80s NUM is the exception, not the rule

I think more gammony that right wing, and I can kind of understand their desire to preserve what remains of their power, given the fate of unions here and elsewhere at the moment.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Unions prevented the right wing candidate from winning in 2010 (hence 1M1V), and are completely justified in trying to vie for power inside a party that is at least theoretically For Them. Don't be an ingrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Unions prevented the right wing candidate from winning in 2010 (hence 1M1V), and are completely justified in trying to vie for power inside a party that is at least theoretically For Them. Don't be an ingrate.

I don't see how protecting the jobs of the Progress faction particularly helps the unions or anyone else on the left of the party, but it is a huge middle finger to Momentum and the rest of the grassroots left who helped deliver the 2017 election