Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
AJ with the GGG tribute :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

AJ didn't even shave or get a haircut, he's going soft

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Frankston posted:

AJ didn't even shave or get a haircut, he's going soft

And hes been caught a couple of times already, uh oh.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
AJ is looking real bad here....

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Povetkin is winning; AJ fighting a very dumb fight here.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Povetkin is winning; AJ fighting a very dumb fight here.

I got AJ up 3 to 2?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Kinda weird they’re only showing povetkin’s corner between rounds

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Povetkin is done

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
drat AJ

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
OH poo poo

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Phwoar

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sorry I missed what was apparently a good start, but I came on during the 6th and saw something memorable in the 7th.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I had Povetkin up 4-2 (same as Dan Rafael’s card) at the time of the stoppage. Good that AJ got the stoppage for the heavyweight division’s sake, but he looked very vulnerable here.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Thank goodness.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Obviously AJ was troubled I don't think it was a total whitewash like I'm seeing on the reddit thread. Povetkin looked really gassed after 5 and-hindsight I know-I feel like you could've seen this coming after Joshua put in really good work in the 6th.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AJ fought like the plan was to let him gas and then pounce, which isn’t a bad plan tbh

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

AJ fought like the plan was to let him gas and then pounce, which isn’t a bad plan tbh

Well yea, but its risky as hell what with that heavy weight power that barely missed, if not landed a couple of times, particularly in that first round. Scary stuff.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Fun fight to watch

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
shame Povetkin isn't a few years younger, he's a stylistic nightmare for both Joshua and Wilder (as in, he can actually box)

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
That was fun to watch. First time I've seen Joshua look scared in the ring. Good mental strength to pull it back together. Sky sports commentary was fine but so repetitive. They must have called Povetkin a 'threat' at least 20,000 times.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Watching the GGG-Canelo rematch replay...you guys are awesome, but really it was a close fight. Golovkin had some dominant late rounds, but it's not like they were 10-8. The stylistic mixup causes too much dissonance. Why is GGG the persistent jabber? Why is Alvarez the forward fighter? Since when does the fighter landing more body punches get gassed late? The only obvious missed call was ANYONE that gave round 12 to Canelo. That's the one bullshit point I have. Overall 7-5 GGG but nah, I can't say it's a robbery. The ebb and flow reminded me of Hopkins-Taylor and Holmes-Spinks. There is no consensus on scoring.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
It's only not a robbery if you ignore the context of the first fight, the events leading up to the second fight, Canelo's whole career and the economics of boxing. GGG got hustled out of his belts.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

you don’t have to have a bunch of 10-8s for it to be the wrong decision. golovkin won more rounds so should’ve won is what it boils down to

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

IDK, I’m the biggest GGG homer there is and I had it 7-5 G or 6-6, depending on one round swinging. Those two scorecards seem to be the dominant ones from observers, but 7-5 C is absolutely possible.

It is disappointing though because it happened two times, and taking both of them into account it doesn’t feel great.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
7-5 either way or 6-6 are the acceptable scores. Canelo winning is no robbery. The real robbery was the draw in the first fight, in which GGG won 8-9 rounds. And of course it sucks that GGG got the short end of the stick, one egregiously so, in both fights, but boxing is a corrupt enterprise and the chances of a 36 year old Kazakh who doesn’t sell tickets or speak much English getting the benefit of the doubt over the 28 year old biggest cash cow in boxing are remote. Unfortunately.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The next big fight is already this Friday: George Groves vs Callum Smith for the WBSS tournament 168 pound final. This one's a lot less dramatic than the cruiserweight tournament was, as arguably the best fighter in the 168 pound division, Gilberto Ramirez, didn't take part. Actually, somehow only 1 of the 4 major titles ended up in this tournament, so there won't be a unification either, let alone a unification of all 4 belts. The winner of Groves/Smith, assuming it's definitive outcome, will be considered the highest ranked/best super middleweight in the world though, for what that's worth. It's a weak and splintered division, but hopefully the winner is able to secure fights with Ramirez, David Benavidez, and/or Jose Uzcategui.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Teddy Atlas has some things to say about Mike Tyson:
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/9/25/17899044/boxing-teddy-atlas-mike-tyson-was-not-a-great-fighter-heavyweight-news

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

The whole podcast is fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEwq64YTSO8

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I love teddy atlas, read his book twice. Gonna listen to that asap.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Dude this is nuts :(

https://twitter.com/vcstar/status/1044759783679688704

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nice!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1045347580505403392

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This bothers me, but not as much as it might have five or ten years ago. Either they got worse or something about me changed, either way I dont get the same feeling from hearing Jones and young man what's his name talking about a fight vs Foreman/Steward with Larry Merchant.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

They've had a foot out the door ever since the AT&T merger

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Pretty shocking that they would actually make this public but it was definitely inevitable when they really started getting the "we are not a sports network, we're a storytelling network" narrative out there.

Looks I'll be renewing that showtime subscription....

mewse
May 2, 2006

Boxing is dying

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I wonder if Lamps, Max and Roy will end up on dazn now.

Edit: He will be involved in the Muhammad Ali documentary being released but even after that......yeah who knows

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 27, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

I wonder if Lamps, Max and Roy will end up on dazn now.

The article says Lampley is staying with HBO (doing what?!)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

mewse posted:

Boxing is dying

On the flipside, ESPN and other services are picking up more fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Yeah it’s more that ESPN, PBC and DAZN are upping their investments and HBO don’t want to compete. More money saved for Game of Thrones.