Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
What a great job by Pilot Maggie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B229-KLudTo

This news article says it was her first solo, but sounds like it was her first solo XC:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/09/10/beverly-airport-emergency-landing/

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hell yes, Maggie. drat good job.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Holy poo poo kid, well done.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Seriously. You can hear her trying real hard to hang on and not freak out; that's a hell of a lot better than most student pilots would have managed.

Glad she was able to stay focused and ended up walking away from that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DrDork posted:

Seriously. You can hear her trying real hard to hang on and not freak out; that's a hell of a lot better than most student pilots would have managed.

She seemed to collect herself after the initial shock that the gear was missing. Good on she, the tower controller, and the instructors for holding it all together.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If you’re a big fat guy with insane snoring habits please stay out of the pilot lounge. Your unhealthy sleep isn’t worth the sleep of 5 others.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DrDork posted:

Absolutely!

Now I have a great example for my students, of why you need to know your emergency procedures and do some properly good landings before I send you solo. I've got a few students who keep asking "how was that landing for being solo-ready?" It doesn't work like that, I want to see consistency, good technique, and good decision making. Yeah, it's not likely anything will happen on your first solo circuit, but, hey, people win the lottery too!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Arson Daily posted:

Got friends there what do you want to know?

Trying to get some internals... goonternals? Ya never know. I hear the magic number is 4 internals. I’m really awkward at asking for them, though!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

Trying to get some internals... goonternals? Ya never know. I hear the magic number is 4 internals. I’m really awkward at asking for them, though!

Yeah sorry bro its too many friend of a friend for me to put you in touch with anyone there. Why do you want to work there if you don't mind me asking?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

The Slaughter posted:

I know a guy who got hired there with zero internals a few months ago. I also know a guy with multiple internals who has a much more robust resume who can't even get an interview. So who knows what the secret formula is.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

If you’re a big fat guy with insane snoring habits please stay out of the pilot lounge. Your unhealthy sleep isn’t worth the sleep of 5 others.

This but crash pads

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

e.pilot posted:

This but crash pads

QFT

I used to hear a dude snoring at a crash pad UPSTAIRS from our first-floor pad. His nickname was, and still is, Rhino as a result.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ausgezeichnet posted:

QFT

I used to hear a dude snoring at a crash pad UPSTAIRS from our first-floor pad. His nickname was, and still is, Rhino as a result.

If you’re bad enough that you have a nickname then congrats, you get to buy your own hotel room.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Speaking of crash pads, the current chief flight instructor at our partner school is a former regional F/O who was EWR-based and lived out of a crash pad...in Philadelphia.

I figured Newark was expensive, but never thought about the fact someone would have to live 90 miles away and drive each way at the start or end of a trip. :stonk:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 13, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What’s the go to corporate job posting site? Not invested in leaving my job but the industry is changing and looking never hurt.

Is it still JSFirm and ClimbToWhatever?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Findapilot if you feel like paying for the privilege.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Climbto350 I think it is. Jetcareers has some as well

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/3315Aviation/status/1040682803472605184?s=19

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Dont know if there is a better thread for that, but I just did my first (tandem) parachute jump and Holy. loving. poo poo. That was the most intense thing I've done in my life.

I had fight or flight adrenaline througy the roof for a solid two hours after, it was a weird feeling. I'm sort of coming down now

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

SFU study busts myth about facial hair on pilots

Only up to 25k. I don't see any US carriers or the FAA moving on this.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

SFU Study posted:

“We changed our policy on facial hair following this study,” he says, “to permit it to a maximum length of 12.5 mm and neatly trimmed.”

That's a...very specific hair length.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AWSEFT posted:

I don’t either, but I’m going to pass this up the chain for our jumpseat program. Maybe one day I’ll get to go.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

DrDork posted:

That's a...very specific hair length.

Given that it's Canada, they undoubtedly started with "half an inch" (either because that's what the SFU study used, or because it was just convenient) and then went "oh poo poo, we have to make this metric" and rounded it to 12.5mm because 12.7 would be even more suspicious.

See also: Canadian letter paper being 99.7% the size of US letter paper because it's 8.5x11" rounded to the nearest millimeter, Canadian fuel economy numbers being all wrong because they're allowed to say "miles per gallon" (instead of l/100km) but it has to be the British imperial gallon, everyone knowing their height in feet and inches even though all the ID cards have it in centimeters, etc

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 16, 2018

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

Given that it's Canada, they undoubtedly started with "half an inch" (either because that's what the SFU study used, or because it was just convenient) and then went "oh poo poo, we have to make this metric" and rounded it to 12.5mm because 12.7 would be even more suspicious.

See also: Canadian letter paper being 99.7% the size of US letter paper because it's 8.5x11" rounded to the nearest millimeter, Canadian fuel economy numbers being all wrong because they're allowed to say "miles per gallon" (instead of l/100km) but it has to be the British imperial gallon, everyone knowing their height in feet and inches even though all the ID cards have it in centimeters, etc

A lot of people I know in the BC interior just use Fahrenheit. Also I think 4L jugs are just gallon jugs filled a little higher.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Although in general I like SI units, people who report wind speeds in km/h should be caned.

The only people who give a poo poo about wind speed -- pilots and sailors -- use nautical miles and knots, why bother with any other unit?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

This dude just quit PSA and made a video explaining why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8hCIolZRTU

He had me until he went YouTube star in the last 3 minutes.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

He's got a fully built out online ground school, I don't think he "just quit". Even with that, yeah the last part is weird.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CBJSprague24 posted:

I hope it works out for him because he'll have a hell of a time getting back into 121 after a stunt like this, at least beyond the regionals.

I 100% get where he's coming from though, I enjoyed instructing vastly more than the airlines. Money talks though, and someday I'll have a chill enough work schedule to teach on the side.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Beyond that, I (and I imagine every other instructor ever) could make a similar video about instructing. There's the bad pay, the weather days where you basically just sit on your rear end not making money, dealing with the entitled rich jackasses who can't conceive of not being skilled at something or not being able to force mother nature into compliance, dealing with the hopeless cases who are 120 hours into a PPL but can't manage a normal takeoff to flight test standard, dealing with the students who try their rear end off and flew so well with you, but completely loving collapsed on a flight test, etc.

If you focus on the bad parts of any job -- in aviation or any other industry -- it will suck poo poo. I don't disagree with anything he says, and that's why I'm not gunning for an airline job, but it's a matter of deciding which set of compromises you're willing to accept. I love the good parts of my job: helping people to follow their dream, meeting a bunch of cool people from different walks of life, sending people on their first solo, watching someone improve from the point where I have to take control to the point that they nail a manoeuvre perfectly, seeing someone go from blaming phantom updrafts for their poor altitude control to managing to react and hold a plane steady in continuous turbulence, and so on. The good parts are very rewarding, but you don't get those every day. Sometimes you've got to put up with the bad days, the bad students, the maintenance problems, and everything else.

But there's no wrong way to be a professional pilot. If you find a way that you like, then go ahead and do that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

If you focus on the bad parts of any job -- in aviation or any other industry -- it will suck poo poo.
This is my greatest struggle in life.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

AWSEFT posted:

Weird that its making news now. I fly for an AC Express Carrier and have been rocking a beard for just under 18-months. Policy went into effect around the same time as Mainline.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

What’s the go to corporate job posting site? Not invested in leaving my job but the industry is changing and looking never hurt.

Is it still JSFirm and ClimbToWhatever?

Pro Pilot World - 15 bucks a year, but worth it. Lots of job listings these days and a lot of commentary from people who know the players involved.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

e.pilot posted:

I hope it works out for him because he'll have a hell of a time getting back into 121 after a stunt like this, at least beyond the regionals.

I dunno. Harrisburg guy got hired at The Widget.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Naked guy in the woods? Yeah, all the guys from his regional who didn't get hired, are quite charmed with his success story.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Actual for-real question, anyone with a C-46 type rating, or anyone who knows someone with a C-46 type, shoot me a pm or email at geemail.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
To touch off MrYenkos' question:

Several pilot groups are looking for pilots & planes in the SC area. They can house you and have supplies to fly in from SC to the hard hit areas in NC. PM me.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

The Slaughter posted:

For what it's worth, I heard from a United recruiter after one of their presentations that internals and outside references are scored the same. And 4 gets you the max points, but again, it makes no difference (points/algorithm wise) if they come from a United person or some other.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

vessbot posted:

Naked guy in the woods? Yeah, all the guys from his regional who didn't get hired, are quite charmed with his success story.

I could see the Eisenhower Blvd streaker getting points at his Southwest interview for that stunt, but Delta? He must have been a legacy.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Just put my app in to Atlas. :sludgepal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Just put my app in to Atlas. :sludgepal:

Good luck. Maybe we'll have hangovers together in Frankfurt!