Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Lockback posted:

"Your not going to convince me a job I know nothing about requires an education I know nothing about.'

If I were making a snotty post about how important education is I would proofread it extra carefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

canyoneer posted:

There is no required license to prepare or serve food.

Does a food handler's permit not count? Though it's more along the lines of 90 minutes of education versus 9 months.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Breetai posted:

Can you knot.

All the tree puns have me stoaked

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm sycamore than a few of you so I'm gonna bough out of this thread for a while

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Tnuctip posted:

All the tree puns have me stoaked
I reported you fir bad tree puns.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

hailthefish posted:

Does a food handler's permit not count? Though it's more along the lines of 90 minutes of education versus 9 months.

Only one county requires it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

canyoneer posted:

The complaint still holds because in my state it takes 1500 hours of classroom time to become licensed to cut hair. Yes, 9 months of 40 hour weeks and a 5 figure tuition bill.
There is no required license to prepare or serve food.

I was waiting for that one to come out. There is in many states/counties, but it's a two day (at the most, sometimes its less than a day) food safety course. How to handle, safe holding temperatures, cleaning, etc.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Dik Hz posted:

I reported you fir bad tree puns.

Im still pining for more.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Tnuctip posted:

Im still pining for more.

Why? The lovely puns that people feel compelled to post leaf a lot to be desired.

E: realised well after the fact that left out words

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 23, 2018

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Weatherman posted:

Why? The lovely puns that people feel compelled leaf a lot to be desired.
Why? Because they're poplar.

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007

StormDrain posted:

That book sounds interesting. Reminds me of all the pointless certifications required to practice professions. I can’t imagine the pain I’d suffer if I went to an unlicensed barber.
I definitely recommend it and two of his other books, Debt: The First 5000 Years and Bullshit Jobs: A Theory, which was written after this article went viral in 2013: https://strikemag.org/bullshit-jobs/.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I once had a 6 week art instructor gig get torpedoed because the teacher mistakenly thought my Bachelors of Arts was an Art degree. The moment she realized I wasn’t an Art major I was out of there, even though I have a art background and experience in dark rooms, which they were inexplicably going to be teaching middle schoolers to use in the year 2013. Man, that would have been awesome.
There's an interesting talk between David Graeber and Brian Eno, where they discuss the idea of bullshit jobs for a bit, and Brian Eno connects it to art schools:

Brian Eno posted:

I think what we have in England is the remnants of a class system which expresses itself in work very much so that professional jobs are always automatically better regarded than manual jobs, even when those professional jobs are empty, as you say. And of course the other issue is that we now have an education system that insists that everybody goes to university, as if that's automatically the best thing for everybody to do, as if if you fail to get to university, or if you fail to do anything very interesting there, then you take a manual job, and this is really a very bad idea. And funnily enough, it's kind of infiltrated the art schools as well. I've been involved in art schools for most of my life, and one of the trends I've noticed in the last 20 years or so is a kind of obscurantism that has entered into the conversation about art schools. And if you can't enter into that obscure conversation, you don't really count very much as an artist. So it's become sort of academicized in a way that doesn't really benefit the work very much.

I was an external examiner for a few years at an art college, and we had to walk around and look at students' work to see whether--we looked at second-year students--to see whether they were fine on course for a degree in their third year. So if we saw any students who looked pretty dodgy, we would alert the staff, who would do something about them. I remember we were going around once, and one of the things we had to do was to read what was called their personal statements. These are always absolute bollocks. This is where these poor students, who would like to be painters or whatever they want to be, are told they've got to shuffle some terms taken out of boring French philosophy books and kind of patch together something that looks like an intellectual report, and they're always--well, I'd say 90% of the time at least--absolute crap. They tick a box, you know, they show that art is a respectable academic subject, with judgeable and markable results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuBpOXGLn_o

Edit: I'm branching off from BWM, so an anecdote more in line with the thread's history: My coworker bragged about the deal she got on her new car. Her dealership had called her up because, wouldn't you know it, they just so happened to be desperate for used cars in her make and model, so if she would kindly consider selling to them, they'd get her into the new model for the same monthly payment. I'm sure it was just a coincidence that she had only two payments left until she owned the car. I suppose if you consider a car payment an immutable fact of life, you could convince yourself that you were the shrewd one in that negotiation.

mellifluous fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 22, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

If Disney chat isn't over, one of my friends from college went to study abroad in Japan with some other people in a school program. A brother and sister in that group went to Disney Tokyo by his count at least 30 times that summer. They also organized a Disney student club so they were committed.

Then after graduating I think they both work at Disney World in Orlando although I don't want to check on Linkedin though the brother does habe a CPA license so it might actually be in corporate.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 22, 2018

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Weatherman posted:

Why? The lovely puns that people feel compelled leaf a lot to be desired.

Well now im stumped.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
This thread just seems to be lumbering along now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The conversation frequently branches off in interesting directions.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Tnuctip posted:

Well now im stumped.
Original pun or ban. No duplicates.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dik Hz posted:

Who made you arborter of this thread?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

If Disney chat isn't over, one of my friends from college went to study abroad in Japan with some other people in a school program. A brother and sister in that group went to Disney Tokyo by his count at least 30 times that summer. They also organized a Disney student club so they were committed.

Then after graduating I think they both work at Disney World in Orlando although I don't want to check on Linkedin though the brother does habe a CPA license so it might actually be in corporate.

This might be GWM as Disney professional folks are typically paid very well with good benefits. A close friend is an IT project manager for Disney here in Orlando and is getting paid >$150k. She likes it.

Although, don’t discount the idea that someone with a CPA is working as a merchandise person making minimum wage as Disney freaks and will sometimes take anything for the job.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Zauper posted:

As I understand it, library science as a masters can go down a lot of routes. There's a lot of stuff around how to conduct research. There's also a lot on how to manage a library. Some of the programs now also teach database design.

Frankly, the skills taught are more valuable from an income perspective if they go into research over being a librarian. My BIL wants to run a specialty library though. Not all librarian jobs require the masters, but many do. Local / county I'd expect it to. Elementary probably not.

My wife got a masters in library science , currently works as a manager of a public library branch.

I was honestly surprised at the training level, and this point on skills is spot on. My wife pretty straight forward wanted to be in a public library, but a backup option was research.

I’m not sure if I’m arguing that it should require an expensive masters degree, but there’s way more to libraries than people outside the field think of. Requiring a specific degree makes sense , i would argue more for a 4 year undergrad just because of how expensive masters programs are.

Our experience is that it really depends on the market. She had a lot of trouble finding jobs in Philadelphia, but there’s like, 2-3 schools that pump out library degrees so there’s way more competition. We now moved to a smaller city because she interviewed there, got a job just way quicker.

As far as I know she won’t be required to get more formal education.

I mean, would we do it again (masters in library science)? If it was the same exact path sure. I’ll definitely say we didn’t really think about the debt ratio to income, at 22/23 when she got accepted it we just didn’t quite yet fully grasp finances. Looking back, it definitely was a big risk. She makes a good enough income for us, and loves the work so we got lucky.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Dik Hz posted:

I must have missed that, dont want anyone to get board.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mostly figured trying to get a librarian job is insane simply because you basically have to wait for someone to die for a job opening to appear.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wood yew all stop with the tree puns before I call the copse

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
On the Bad with Career choice talk, I always hear people talking about 'The Trades' but is there a catch I don't know about? Most of these jobs are union, which means good pay and benefits, and instead of going into debt to develop your career you get paid to be an apprentice for the same amount of time. And given the pay and the constant talk of shortages of qualified personnel it seems like there isn't a market saturation like other professions.

Isn't it GWM to seek out careers that won't put you into debt to learn how to do them?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
sometimes you have to wallow around in literal poo poo and you'll slowly destroy your body by your mid-50s, spending all your savings on a combination of scam therapies for your chronic back pain and opiates

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
A lot of the trades are brutalizing to your body and many are extremely susceptible to economic forces, like builder associated trades during a recession, manufacturing trades when a factory closes, and oil associated trades during a price drop.

Many of my family started in blue collar, well paid trade jobs with unions and they all got punched directly in the gut in 2009 and haven't really recovered even though the work is available again. The white collar workers in my family weathered a lot better by taking part time or lower paid jobs in the meantime, and climbing back up when the opportunity came back.

It's also very hard to be a 50+ construction worker

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

CheesyDog posted:

sometimes you have to wallow around in literal poo poo and you'll slowly destroy your body by your mid-50s, spending all your savings on a combination of scam therapies for your chronic back pain and opiates

Right but how is this any worse than being stuck in retail while you wallow in student loan debt, stagnant wages and a saturated market in your job field?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Construction is also fairly dangerous.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
For construction at least, it’s hard work, and too many parents look down on it and don’t encourage their children to pursue. Work can be seasonal and irregular. Jobs can be frustrating and unsafe. Work locations change, supervisors change, work continues in all weather.

On the flip side, it’s a real job, you can earn good money without debt, and it can be very rewarding. If I had another spin around this world I’d probably be an electrician.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Panfilo posted:

Right but how is this any worse than being stuck in retail while you wallow in student loan debt, stagnant wages and a saturated market in your job field?

Is a trade job better than an art history PhD (sorry, art history majors) working at Walmart with crippling debt? Well, yeah. No degree and working at Walmart is better, in that case.

But that's not really saying much, is it?

Some people treat a degree like it's a license to print money and look down on trade jobs as being always bad. Like, no, obviously it's not the case. But we also shouldn't let the pendulum swing too far the other way and pretend like all your problems are solved if you learn how to bend pipes.

Trades are an alternative path that has its own pros and cons and are better suited for some people than others, like just about anything else.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Union trades follow osha most of the time at least. Most non union does not.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Panfilo posted:

Despite popular belief, lots and lots of people do go on to get solid or rewarding careers with a college degree. It's just that the number of graduates who don't is alarmingly larger than it should be, all things considered.

Don't assume most college grads are stuck in Wal Mart or see other dead end job that leads to a life of poverty, this simply isn't true for most people with a college degree (ymmv based on regional job market).

Furthermore, as time goes on, a lot of college grads who were in a bad spot finally manage to get a foothold. So the first few years of working poo poo jobs is rarely an indicator of where they'll be in three, five, or ten years

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

KingSlime posted:

Despite popular belief, lots and lots of people do go on to get solid or rewarding careers with a college degree. It's just that the number of graduates who don't is alarmingly larger than it should be, all things considered.

Don't assume most college grads are stuck in Wal Mart or see other dead end job that leads to a life of poverty, this simply isn't true for most people with a college degree (ymmv based on regional job market).

Furthermore, as time goes on, a lot of college grads who were in a bad spot finally manage to get a foothold. So the first few years of working poo poo jobs is rarely an indicator of where they'll be in three, five, or ten years
Yeah, despite how rough 2007-201? was, the numbers show that a degree is going to typically put people in a more lucrative and stable career.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Not having a degree will literally never help. No one is ever going to go "well we have two candidates but candidate A has a degree so gently caress him we're going with candidate B". The only benefit to not getting a degree is not paying to get one.

Almost like the student loan industry and its incestuous relationship with educational institutions and government is actively making this shithole country ever worse. Hope you/your eventual children are at least upper middle class, or failing that, in perfect physical health, possibly also very good at sports!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

hailthefish posted:

Not having a degree will literally never help. No one is ever going to go "well we have two candidates but candidate A has a degree so gently caress him we're going with candidate B".

Oh, my sweet summer child

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BMan posted:

Oh, my sweet summer child

Say more? I don't follow

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Say more? I don't follow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overqualification

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I took it as - Having a PhD can effectively lock you out of some positions, but you also have the option of not listing those on your resume (though then you have a blank spot on your work history, sooooo...)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think people take that concept way too literally then don't really plan past just doing the bare minimum. So a very generic 4 year degree isn't going to have as much pull, because that grad is going to have to compete with a lot of people who have a more relevant degree, internships, job experience, etc. Maybe decades ago just having a degree gave you a leg up but a lot more people go to college and things have gotten much more competitive. It seems like a lot of people got talked out of trades when it would have saved them from swimming in debt and having a worse job to show for it.

Meanwhile I keep hearing that there are shortages in various trades and given that they have good pay and benefits, it obviously isn't due to poor compensation.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Heh, nobody has ever lost a job to Over-qualification because of a Bachelor's...

Maybe if they were applying for a minimum wage job that clearly raised the red flag of "this candidate will quit soon after we hire them"

In which case the bachelor's is doing them a great service

Overqualified is 99% of the time a euphemism for:

-you're too old
-you have no relevant experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

FAUXTON posted:

Wood yew all stop with the tree puns before I call the copse

Whats the problem with all the pithy comments