Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kennel posted:

Is there interesting real world cases of “Impious Saints”?

Hard to say, because the judgement is always made by someone with a vested interest. There's a few cases of a person being canonised who never actually existed, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Does this mean per-religion virtues/sins coloring?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Jedit posted:

Hard to say, because the judgement is always made by someone with a vested interest. There's a few cases of a person being canonised who never actually existed, though.

In a few cases, they took "existing" gods from an area and made them saints, to ease people's transition into Catholicism, I guess? Saint Brigid of Ireland is probably the most prominent example of this, but I'm pretty sure there are others.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Looking forward to starting continent-spanning hellwars just because some drunk pope canonized the wrong dude

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Interesting that they've added in a bunch of stuff that'd make theocracies more fun if you could play them. Great news for modders I guess.

I really hope they add in ways to see other religions' status, especially if there's all these extra factors and aspects to keep track of, and even these new burial sites that you'd want to target as a pagan.

And I'd sure like the Pope to be less buggy so that when you conquer Rome he doesn't just exist in some weird pocket dimension forevermore.

Kassad posted:

I don't see much point in adding some new mechanic for this instead of leaving it abstracted away as part of trade route income and raiding loot (since you can take courtiers prisoner, you can tell yourself some of the "loot" are captives as well).

Adding in slavery only makes sense if you add in an entire economic system tracking commodities and giving raiders more fiddly work to get money out of their raids. And even then, there's no real reason to add in stuff so you could buy and sell named characters.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Kennel posted:

Is there interesting real world cases of “Impious Saints”?
Possibly. Constantine I of Roman Empire is a saint, but he also had his son and wife executed. Nicholas II of Russia is also one controversial saint, weak autocrat with nickname 'Bloody'. Junipero Serra, a missionary in California, is also controversial for his treatment of Native Americans. There are probably many other examples, but I don't think there is a canonized cannibal.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

SlothfulCobra posted:

Adding in slavery only makes sense if you add in an entire economic system tracking commodities and giving raiders more fiddly work to get money out of their raids. And even then, there's no real reason to add in stuff so you could buy and sell named characters.
Alternatively, you might be able to add it as a treasury artifact? "Hoard of slaves and thralls: +10% build speed in realm, +1 gold/month, +5% revolt risk" or something similar.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It’s doable and fun to start as Gotland and make a Scandinavian merchant empire.

Well, I have subjugated 5 counties in 2 years with the cunning strategy of "have a slightly larger number of troops than your opponent so you can siege their cap faster than they can siege yours" and have almost enough prestige to pop 2.500 event troops to start taking duchies, so, yeah, it's doable.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fat Samurai posted:

Well, I have subjugated 5 counties in 2 years with the cunning strategy of "have a slightly larger number of troops than your opponent so you can siege their cap faster than they can siege yours" and have almost enough prestige to pop 2.500 event troops to start taking duchies, so, yeah, it's doable.

Remember you need to reform the religion to become a merchant republic, so start targeting those holy sites now!

Also Arumba is doing the same thing in his YT series right now "Legend of the indo norse got land" or some shenanigans. he's doing a bunch of the norse achievements all at once.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Midnight Voyager posted:

Has anyone had two genders of horse courtier at once? A friend's game had Glitterhoof (female) and Incitatus (male). Only Glitterhoof had a horse portrait and Incitatus was missing the horse trait for some reason. They ended up having kids with a lady, since they could without the horse trait, and the children... Only the female children had the horse portrait. The male ones did not.

Glitterhoof was in China when Incitatus showed up. Maybe that has something to do with it??? IIRC, Incitatus usually kills Glitterhoof, right?

oh wait, now the inheritance seems to just be straight up random, like there's a chance of either way of being a horse or a human.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Midnight Voyager posted:

oh wait, now the inheritance seems to just be straight up random, like there's a chance of either way of being a horse or a human.
Yeah, if you have two different portrait sets as parents, the children will have a 50/50 chance of using either. Barring a few cases where it's been specifically programmed with a chance of producing a different set as a standin for admixture.

And yes, christ, I am significantly hyped for this expansion. Better be a short wait between the release date announcement and the actual release.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 22, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dwesa posted:

Possibly. Constantine I of Roman Empire is a saint, but he also had his son and wife executed. Nicholas II of Russia is also one controversial saint, weak autocrat with nickname 'Bloody'. Junipero Serra, a missionary in California, is also controversial for his treatment of Native Americans. There are probably many other examples, but I don't think there is a canonized cannibal.

Don't forget his father in law, his brother in law, his other brother in law etc.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't have done a lil "chain conquering with event troops" tutorial just in the thread even though I never got around to doing the Zunists over in LP

Because that trick is pretty neat tbh

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, if you have two different portrait sets as parents, the children will have a 50/50 chance of using either. Barring a few cases where it's been specifically programmed with a chance of producing a different set as a standin for admixture.

And yes, christ, I am significantly hyped for this expansion. Better be a short wait between the release date announcement and the actual release.

but that doesn't explain why Incatitus was a human child instead of a horse to begin with

Or why the succession has gone bonkers and seems to be favoring nonhorses?!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

SlothfulCobra posted:

Interesting that they've added in a bunch of stuff that'd make theocracies more fun if you could play them. Great news for modders I guess.

Faith militant uprising in ASOIAF mod :getin:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

saint dimas was a thief. saint patrick was probably a genocidal terrorist.

piety is something of a loose term.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

jfood posted:

saint patrick was probably a genocidal terrorist.

Those loving snakes had it coming.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

but that doesn't explain why Incatitus was a human child instead of a horse to begin with

Or why the succession has gone bonkers and seems to be favoring nonhorses?!

Horse culture doesn't have a horse child portrait, it just uses the defeault Western gfx and it will change to a horse at age 16. I'm not sure why Incitatus showed up as a child but I've definitely seen the game wig out a bit trying to create a horse character when you already have a horse. One time I got a second Glitterhoof and it was age 0.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I once had a merchant republic horse family as a vassal, still have the screenshot but I’m on my phone now. It was awesome because it would just spawn new horses to take their place if they died.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
horses are old and boring now

new is bear. also possibly cat I hear?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Deceitful Penguin posted:

horses are old and boring now

new is bear. also possibly cat I hear?

The Egyptian cat dynasty is going to be glorious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Various Meat Products posted:

Horse culture doesn't have a horse child portrait, it just uses the defeault Western gfx and it will change to a horse at age 16. I'm not sure why Incitatus showed up as a child but I've definitely seen the game wig out a bit trying to create a horse character when you already have a horse. One time I got a second Glitterhoof and it was age 0.

Presumably if you somehow marry off a horse and the horse gets cucked, it can accept the child.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
If you found a merchant republic in the kingdom of Jerusalem will the AI still try to move the capital to Jerusalem if you lose an election and give you a game over? Same question with any kingdom whose de jure capital isn't coastal I guess.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

Presumably if you somehow marry off a horse and the horse gets cucked, it can accept the child.
One of my fav emergent strata when doctors started cutting off ya junk was to do just this and then blindly accept it

Thank you, lustful hedonist women of Europe for helping keep my dynasty large and more genetically viable and giving me imprisonment reasons on people

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I've been reading this thread for a few days now and decided to get the game, and I cannot belieeeeeeeeve how loving tiny the text is on my laptop. Jesus Christ, I'm enjoying it but I need to have my face like a foot away from the screen to play through this training mission

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Do we have even a vague idea on when Holy Fury will be coming out? I am seriously jonesing bad for some CK2, but I want my next game to be in eastern europe, and I can't imagine doing that without all the good poo poo coming in.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

indigi posted:

I've been reading this thread for a few days now and decided to get the game, and I cannot belieeeeeeeeve how loving tiny the text is on my laptop. Jesus Christ, I'm enjoying it but I need to have my face like a foot away from the screen to play through this training mission

There are some UI mods on the steam workshop you can download to fix the interface on higher (like 1080p) resolutions or to make the text bigger. They are generally achievement compatible if you are concerned about that.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 22, 2018

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

ShootaBoy posted:

Do we have even a vague idea on when Holy Fury will be coming out? I am seriously jonesing bad for some CK2, but I want my next game to be in eastern europe, and I can't imagine doing that without all the good poo poo coming in.
There is still a lot of new stuff not covered by DDs, so I would say it's still at least 2 months away, but who knows.

November 27 would be an interesting and symbolic choice of date.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 22, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Have they mentioned if you'll be able to create new holy sites with Holy Fury? I've just been playing my Cathar game and I was just thinking it'd be real nice to be able to make my capital a holy site and boost my moral authority a bit... (also I won two holy wars and took over Santiago, and made all my vassals convert to my heresy, but Catholics are STILL at 100% MA).

nickname mod good

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Trying to beat down Catholic MA can be futile if the Pope has high piety and there are no antipopes. Also if your idiot vassal dukes decide to start holy war after holy war they have no chance of winning. Cut that out you morons!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

luxury handset posted:

one thing you can try in the 1066 start is playing as robert of apulia in southern italy. it's easy to create the kingdom of sicily and then, just to shake things up, swear fealty to the byzantine emperor. from here you can pretty much beat on anyone you like in italy without worrying too much about the pope trying to crusade you.

I've playing this route and it's quite fun. I've united all of Sicily bar Malta, and conquered Rome, Tunisa and Tripolitania. Currently just one province short of declaring myself king of Africa.

Been supporting the Empress loyally, trying to see if I can restore the empire from behind the scenes.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

big dyke energy posted:

nickname mod good

John Aubrey posted:

This Earle of Oxford, making of his low obeisance to Queen Elizabeth, happened to let a Fart, at which he was so abashed and ashamed that he went to Travell, 7 yeares. On his returne the Queen welcomed him home, and sayd, My Lord, I had forgott the Fart.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's not one of the big features everybody is excited for, but that exclave decay is going to change everything

Is this what it sounds like?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is this what it sounds like?

Yeah, I'm looking for the dev diary, but any land outside of your main realm has a chance to go independent, IIRC.

E: Found it. Yeah, anything that isn't either a) part of your de jure realm, b) connected to your capital by a land path with a gap no larger than one county, or c) connected by a naval path will either become an independent realm under its current ruler or be taken over by a peasant revolt if its current ruler has land outside of the exclave.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 23, 2018

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

big dyke energy posted:

nickname mod good

Your fart queen now has me wondering if anyone's made a mod to add court flatulists to the game yet.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

That husband's expression. He has seen smelled some things.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I was trying to knock "Little Brother Rules" and "Let's go out into the Field" and Charlemagne goes and dies in battle a year in, leaving a pagan invasion from Saxony and a Muslim invasion from Spain almost defeated, so I'm a buy indulgence away from being able to form the Empire.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

darthbob88 posted:

Yeah, I'm looking for the dev diary, but any land outside of your main realm has a chance to go independent, IIRC.

E: Found it. Yeah, anything that isn't either a) part of your de jure realm, b) connected to your capital by a land path with a gap no larger than one county, or c) connected by a naval path will either become an independent realm under its current ruler or be taken over by a peasant revolt if its current ruler has land outside of the exclave.
That sounds awesome!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Just found out that Paradox Interactive will have a stand at Spiel. Are any of the game devs going, or is it just the companies making the CK and Europa Universalis boardgames?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Charlz Guybon posted:

That sounds awesome!
Yeah, though now I'm a little uncertain how it'll interact with islands and multi-kingdoms and such edge cases. Like, if I'm Venice, I can control part of the Croatian coast, and that will be connected to me by a naval path, so it stays under my control. Can I then control part of the Croatian interior, because it is connected to the coast by a land path and then to me by a sea path? If my primary title is king of Sweden/Denmark/Finland, and I take over Norway including Iceland, can I then lose Iceland as a too-distant exclave outside my primary de jure title? How much will this actually screw me over in my efforts to expand my realm?

• Locked thread