Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shaggar posted:

I don't see many ads.

yea maybe in the liberal "don't see color" sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

I don't see many ads.

Only opportunities to expand my software collection

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Shaggar posted:

I don't see many ads.

turn off your monitor

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

"No, Shaggar. You are the ads."

And then Shaggar was a Stymie.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Windows 10 after the latest round of patches refuses to install defender updates they just jam in the queue and fail to install and that somehow also breaks the windows store preventing any software there from installing/updating

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Windows 10 after the latest round of patches refuses to install defender updates they just jam in the queue and fail to install and that somehow also breaks the windows store preventing any software there from installing/updating
my work laptop had an issue installing the latest rollup pack and the error was something about missing sxs packages, i had to uninstall a different rollup pack to get it to work

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
dism repair may fix that!

or maybe not, but possibly.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

I get the "Cortana & Spotify" notification about once a month.

is this the new Netflix & chill?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sorta, but only one person gets hosed

you, the consumer

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

dism repair may fix that!

or maybe not, but possibly.
yeah, i tried sfc and dism and the only thing that worked was the uninstall

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, how lovely. Instead of changing my system language back to en-US like usual, the latest windows update has somehow installed en-US but every options screen refuses to acknowledge this and claims I only have my normal language installed.

Except there's a little "EN" in the bottom corner of the screen that tells me I'm in US english and my keyboard is hosed.

Cool. I guess I'll now go and manually install en-US so I can uninstall it again to resolve this issue.

Can't wait for Microsoft to employ a single QA tester outside of the US. That'd be grand.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
yeah i'd be happy if they just employed a single qa tester

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chalks posted:

Oh, how lovely. Instead of changing my system language back to en-US like usual, the latest windows update has somehow installed en-US but every options screen refuses to acknowledge this and claims I only have my normal language installed.

Except there's a little "EN" in the bottom corner of the screen that tells me I'm in US english and my keyboard is hosed.

Cool. I guess I'll now go and manually install en-US so I can uninstall it again to resolve this issue.

Can't wait for Microsoft to employ a single QA tester outside of the US. That'd be grand.

i think the bottom right is for keyboard layout and not ui language, i regularly setup systems with multiple language options for the keyboard (:quebec:) but only one of the ui languages installed

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fiedler posted:

yeah i'd be happy if they just employed a single qa tester

lol why would you employ a tester when you have an army of shaggars willing to do it for free

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chalks posted:

Can't wait for Microsoft to employ a single QA tester. That'd be grand.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

univbee posted:

i think the bottom right is for keyboard layout and not ui language, i regularly setup systems with multiple language options for the keyboard (:quebec:) but only one of the ui languages installed

I don't know, on keyboard settings page there's an option to show the "language bar", which is set to hidden. If I show it, an almost identical EN appears next to that one. Obviously the letters EN are such a good explanation for a UI element that they used it twice.

Going to Region & Language settings, installing US english and immediately uninstalling solved the problem so I guess that's something.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chalks posted:

I don't know, on keyboard settings page there's an option to show the "language bar", which is set to hidden. If I show it, an almost identical EN appears next to that one. Obviously the letters EN are such a good explanation for a UI element that they used it twice.

Going to Region & Language settings, installing US english and immediately uninstalling solved the problem so I guess that's something.

yeah microsoft's assumption about language are all totally hosed and pretty much prove they have no idea of the world outside of redmond

on french canadian systems it defaults to having an en-us keyboard layout that's flagged as french (since the language and its layout are setup differently), as well as a canadian multilingual standard layout which is now extremely rare to have a physical keyboard for

the language set also affects office applications as far as spell checking is concerned, so if you have a french keyboard layout that's flagged as english or vice-versa it will always assume you're typing in whatever you have set as the language and underline everything in red and swap letters around

so i always had to delete all the keyboard layouts and, if the person was going to be typing in both, at a english en-us and a french fr-ca (canadian french layout) and then spell check would work correctly and the keys would actually match what people expected

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

univbee posted:

yeah microsoft's assumption about language are all totally hosed and pretty much prove they have no idea of the world outside of redmond

nah. they know how to do proper language support. they just don't care.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

cZk posted:

saw this the other day on an old VM

never seen an alert like that before, pretty harsh!

there’s one that says your windows installation is broken like that if the files get corrupted enough. bad ram got me with that one once.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but windows is always broken

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

broken Windows theory

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cjs: I had to call Microsoft by phone to activate a windows xp VM, and they still support doing that lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

akadajet posted:

cjs: I had to call Microsoft by phone to activate a windows xp VM, and they still support doing that lol

yep

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

akadajet posted:

hell, they offer to text you a link and let you do it over the internet

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

i like adobe's solution to this with adobe cs2: they just have a page where you can fully download all versions of adobe cs2 apps and they give you a vl key that won't need to phone home

what's interesting about this is that nowhere on the page does it lay out that it's only intended for actual owners of the older version to reinstall; if you just followed that link it fully looks like adobe just decided to release all those apps for free for everybody

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

univbee posted:

i like adobe's solution to this with adobe cs2: they just have a page where you can fully download all versions of adobe cs2 apps and they give you a vl key that won't need to phone home

what's interesting about this is that nowhere on the page does it lay out that it's only intended for actual owners of the older version to reinstall; if you just followed that link it fully looks like adobe just decided to release all those apps for free for everybody
and, in fact, a bunch of people who've never heard of adobe before did think it was released for free https://www.cnet.com/g00/news/adobe-releases-creative-suite-2-for-free/

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

univbee posted:

it fully looks like adobe just decided to release all those apps for free for everybody

ppc :argh:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

microsoft thread: broken Windows theory

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

OldAlias posted:

broken Windows theory

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Apple tax.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I ran some massive powershell script then uninstalled every smart tile and windows app I could. The only ad I've seen is the warning that I've got a perfectly cromulent browser already installed when looking for chrome.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pro tip: it doesnt matter what you run on windows, the substrate itself is the problem

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I ran some massive powershell script then uninstalled every smart tile and windows app I could. The only ad I've seen is the warning that I've got a perfectly cromulent browser already installed when looking for chrome.

lmao.

what if we put a fuckload of unsupported reg hacks... in a powershell script? that'd be cool right?

optimize your windows!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

like, there is a semi-supported way of removing all the preload live tile app bullshit, with the caveat that it will also remove the store, which may or may not break things at some point

but that script is a compendium of poo poo that may have been in GPOs, plus a ton of poo poo that has never been supported in any way, with a half dozen different versions of each because it changes every major release.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

iow FORMAT C:\>

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

infernal machines posted:

lmao.

what if we put a fuckload of unsupported reg hacks... in a powershell script? that'd be cool right?

optimize your windows!

When I learned to use linux I accepted that copying and pasting esoteric commands you don't understand is just part of life. I was glad when powershell brought this important aspect of computer using over to windows.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Linux. How I stopped worrying and learned to love ctrl-c ctrl-v.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you’re supposed to know what the Linux commands do

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
pipe curl into bash every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sudo bash, run it raw