Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bullseye will be in this season of DD afaik, I just meant they were late to introducing him since they retooled Elektra's stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

esperterra posted:

Bullseye will be in this season of DD afaik, I just meant they were late to introducing him since they retooled Elektra's stuff.

Bullseye is an "FBI Agent" played by Wilson Bethel in season 3.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Bullseye is an "FBI Agent" played by Wilson Bethel in season 3.

weeeird

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmbo is Bullseye going to fall from grace as an origin or are they doing a twist on his working for Fisk by having the FBI be in Fisk's pocket hmmmmmmmm

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SonicRulez posted:

It would appear so. I'm still very confused on why they would have JJ S2 take Nuke off of the table though.

He was part of a government program, they could always just roll out another

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm disappointed that all the people trying to kill Luke Cage never tried to just shoot him in the eye during the dozens of times they had him unconscious or directly in front of them.

I'm disappointed that Tilda, who is the one person that specializes in what could gently caress him up, is such a doormat

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

esperterra posted:

lmbo is Bullseye going to fall from grace as an origin or are they doing a twist on his working for Fisk by having the FBI be in Fisk's pocket hmmmmmmmm

Either is better than "evil baseball player."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vince MechMahon posted:

Either is better than "evil baseball player."

lmao fair

I'd like to see them do something new with him. May as well, since they did with Elektra and I doubt they'll have him kill Karen. Wonder what he'll end up doing (if anything) to crush Matt's spirit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I hope instead of killing Karen they just move her to punisher

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

site posted:

I hope instead of killing Karen they just move her to punisher

I hope she keeps getting free jobs further and further up the media ladder. "Karen, your boring navel-gaze articles about what makes a hero are tearing up the charts! We want you to take over for Seth Meyers!"

Maybe Trish becomes Hellcat next season when she shows up to do her radio show and Karen is just in there. Producer all "She showed up asking a lot of good questions, so I gave her your office and job. You should her credentials, it's incredible! She doesn't have any!"

theironjef fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 23, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samuringa posted:

I'm disappointed that Tilda, who is the one person that specializes in what could gently caress him up, is such a doormat

I think she's a doormat in the season where she isn't a villain yet but will have a bigger role in the next season.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Media jobs generally aren't offered on merit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Teek posted:

Instead of Cap taking a sniper bullet, I could see him taking an arrow from Hawkeye, who is revealed as a Skrull. That then launches the next big phase for the MCU.

I can't imagine Renner would be particularly thrilled about that, considering how vocal he was about hating spending 80 percent of The Avengers under Loki's mind control.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've basically hated Karen since S1 of Daredevil, so a story that kills her is fine with me. Beautiful girl, fine actress, but gently caress's sake that character.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I've basically hated Karen since S1 of Daredevil, so a story that kills her is fine with me. Beautiful girl, fine actress, but gently caress's sake that character.

:agreed:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SonicRulez posted:

She was fine in S1, but holy moly, her "I'm a reporter now" subplot in DD2 was egregiously bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really don't even understand what they're going for by pairing her up with Punisher after not being ok with Matt taking risks and beating people half to death. It just makes her look like an idiot.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I thought their relationship in DDS2 and The Punisher was more of a (incredibly broken) father figure than a lover but I am not always the best reader of the mood

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't even understand what they're going for by pairing her up with Punisher after not being ok with Matt taking risks and beating people half to death. It just makes her look like an idiot.

I havent watched dd in a real long time but wasnt a big part of the matt/Karen thing that matt never actually told karen about his past and she just thinks he decided for no reason to go out and punch people

Samuringa posted:

I thought their relationship in DDS2 and The Punisher was more of a (incredibly broken) father figure than a lover but I am not always the best reader of the mood

Nah she got the feels for frank

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think she's less likely to want Matt to do his vigilante thing because she loves him and doesn't want him dead in an alley, whereas with Frank he not only has a more emotionally impactful reason to shoot people up, but he's a more overtly 'bad' guy and she doesn't have as strong an attachment to him so she harps on him less.

That or her moving more to seeing Frank's side of things could be her moving more to a darker mindset for whatever spin they'll do on her Born Again stuff. Tho prob not because I doubt they plan ahead for single series let alone crossover appearances lmao

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I havent watched dd in a real long time but wasnt a big part of the matt/Karen thing that matt never actually told karen about his past and she just thinks he decided for no reason to go out and punch people

Yeah he only told her he was Daredevil in the finale and it ended on a cliffhanger that never even really revealed her reaction

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

In general I think the different nature of her relationships with Matt and Frank is plenty reason for her to be inconsistent with her feelings about their vigilante status. Never saw it as a writing flaw/thing to complain about, really.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

Yeah he only told her he was Daredevil in the finale and it ended on a cliffhanger that never even really revealed her reaction

And iirc she wasnt really around at all once the ninja zombie arc got started either.

So yeah my argument would be that with matt she just just all of a sudden is told that matt is dd and never really understands why hes doing it, whereas with frank she meets him after hes already become the punisher and she becomes sympathetic towards him and a friend after she learns his story and why hes doing what hes doing and is having to witness firsthand the government actively trying to cover up what happened to him and his family.

Plus you could in throw the fact that frank doesnt lie to her constantly and shows up when she needs it, compared to matt who always lies and the last time she depended on matt he bailed on a major case and tanked the firm, so that might help win her trust

I dunno that id say shes okay with what frank does, she was pretty shook in the diner sequence and the last shot of them together in dd s2 is her begging frank not to kill the colonel guy. And she gives him info on micro but shes not exactly happy about it or what getting back into it is doing to frank

site fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 23, 2018

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I wasn't all that fussed about the difference in the way she views Matt vs Frank. It's just that none of that stuff is particularly fun or interesting to watch. Get Karen a story where she isn't whining about someone else or talking about gun control in any way.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DAW is great and does great with what little or boring stuff they give her. I just hope season 3 gives her some meatier poo poo to really take advantage of her being on the show.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That gun control thing was just so bad

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

site posted:

That gun control thing was just so bad

Yeah that was definitely the low point of the series for me, and really pulled me out of it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked the idea of Karen being pro gun after all the poo poo that's happened to and around her, but lmbo that scene was ridiculously bad

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It's particularly bad because gun control debates make no sense in a comic book world as it is, so even if they had tried a more honest debate with a fair representation of both sides, it would still come off bad because the bad guys are never going to just get taken down by solid police work and nothing more. The whole premise of the pro-gun argument is essentially vigilantism, being able to protect yourself, your loved one's your property, from criminal or tyrannical people. Which is what superheroes also do. So you can't in good faith argue that there should be gun control in a world where the audience is also cheering for a superhero vigilante. Even worse when that hero is the loving Punisher. It's really bad and is totally something these types of stories should stay away from unless the entire premise of the story is focusing on putting the "hero" behind bars and their crimes are being clearly laid out and not glossed over (essentially making them seem more like a villain, even though they are not necessarily portrayed as "evil".)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

esperterra posted:

I liked the idea of Karen being pro gun after all the poo poo that's happened to and around her, but lmbo that scene was ridiculously bad

Considering she straight up Murder One'd Wesley in DDS1, I'm surprised she not handling weapon logistics for Frank.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I thought the entire point of Karen starting to become obsessed with Frank having to be a good person/have good reasons for what he does was because she needed to believe that to live with herself for blowing Wesley away in s1

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I thought the entire point of Karen starting to become obsessed with Frank having to be a good person/have good reasons for what he does was because she needed to believe that to live with herself for blowing Wesley away in s1

That may be and it may have even been stated baldly somewhere in Netflix Marvelverse. I just have such a feeling of antipathy when she's on screen, that all her dialogue comes out like Charlie Brown's teacher. "MWAH MWA MWAH MWAH"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blockhouse posted:

i think theres some of that mixed in with the realization thats matts continuing insistence that killing anyone for any reason regardless of circumstance is morally unjustifiable and makes you just as bad as the bad guys is wrong and comes from a guy who is kinda full of poo poo

ToastyPotato posted:

It's particularly bad because gun control debates make no sense in a comic book world as it is, so even if they had tried a more honest debate with a fair representation of both sides, it would still come off bad because the bad guys are never going to just get taken down by solid police work and nothing more. The whole premise of the pro-gun argument is essentially vigilantism, being able to protect yourself, your loved one's your property, from criminal or tyrannical people. Which is what superheroes also do. So you can't in good faith argue that there should be gun control in a world where the audience is also cheering for a superhero vigilante. Even worse when that hero is the loving Punisher. It's really bad and is totally something these types of stories should stay away from unless the entire premise of the story is focusing on putting the "hero" behind bars and their crimes are being clearly laid out and not glossed over (essentially making them seem more like a villain, even though they are not necessarily portrayed as "evil".)

i think there's some truth in this but at the same time i also dont think the existence of the avengers or the punisher would make the frightening statistics of gun violence or the problems of systemic racism that contribute towards crime vanish either

And tbh im not generally a fan of buying into the premise of criminals will break the law, esp criminals designed specifically so the protagonist can go up against them, therefore we should not have the law

site fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 23, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

My point is more that in a comic world, crime is no where near normal levels. People have super powers, super villains exist, and as a result, vigilantes, powered or not, kind of become a necessity. As such, the argument of arming one's self is a much better one, almost infinitely so, because the entire premise of these universes is based on the idea of people arming themselves with weapons, technology, magic, or their own super powers and using that to fight bad guys. Basically I am saying it is kind of gross to take a very real, very awful problem from real life, and try to contextualize the debate surrounding it inside of a story where one side has an unnaturally better argument to make, which then isn't even communicated in the story so it looks like an opinion is just being parroted and being held as totally valid because no one gets to challenge it. It is kind of a scummy way to preach to an audience. And while that can easily happen with other topics in many shows and movies, most of those topics don't involve kids getting constantly massacred at school.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Serious question, has the idea that average citizens having more guns leads to successfully protecting themselves from supervillains and super crime ever even been a thing in marvel comics, or dc for that matter

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Iron Fist S2: The first two episodes of IF S1 are some of the most god awful television episodes I've ever seen, and season 1's high point is nothing more than "not horrible". But 3.5 episodes into S2, and this is a fairly tight, well written story giving a lot of character development to almost everyone that is featured. Also I didn't immediately connect who "Mary" was so the reveal in the 4th episode was awesome.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

site posted:

Serious question, has the idea that average citizens having more guns leads to successfully protecting themselves from supervillains and super crime ever even been a thing in marvel comics, or dc for that matter

I think most writers seem to understand that it is a topic not worth really digging into because there is no way that you can really approach it that is going to make sense and not open a needless debate about applying real world laws in a sci fi universe. If they say yes, then the obvious next question is why do police seem to struggle at all then? If they say no, then the next question is how non-powered gun based characters can even function then? It is just a really bad topic for comics, unless you really want to write a story about the ethics of superheroes and vigilantism in general, then it is probably fine. But that is not what Marvel or DC are selling.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Looks like we might be getting a comic accurate Kingpin this season. No sign of his cane tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIYGyzNUYtQ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mmmm the white suit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Man, I am getting hype. I haven't been hyped for a Marvel Netflix show in a while. Please don't fail me.