Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If spiderman doesn't feature a battle against a truck then it's a bad game.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Content: travel in Sunless Sea is too loving slow which is a problem given how much of the game involves travelling.

I really wanted to like that game but I just couldn't take all the thumb twiddling. Just read the TV Tropes page instead of playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rodbeard posted:

Having beaten the game I think it's relatively easy for a roguelite, but I wish the game went about twice as fast outside of combat. What was different about the early access version?

The beginning of the game used to have ways to make money and get fuel that weren’t mind bogglingly tedious, for one.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I would really love for Alexis Kennedy to get hired to write for people who know how to make a game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Megaquarium is a neat little tycoon game where you run a public aquarium. However it is painfully obvious that its not quite out of early access. Or rather, its obvious it could have used a few more months in there.

Like there are dozens of dozens of different fish types, all with different requirements like preference for cold water, will eat starfish or crustaceans, needs to be in a shoal, doesn't like X type of fish in its tank, etc and there is no way to filter these types. You're scrolling through an ever expanding list of fish to find the right type of your new tank and its pretty tedious.

Which is a shame, because designing the layout of your new wing and decorating the tanks themselves and everything else is pretty fun

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Safeword posted:

Mutants are inherently dangerous

Nice one, x-phobe

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The beginning of the game used to have ways to make money and get fuel that weren’t mind bogglingly tedious, for one.

I've found sunless skies to have fixed a lot of the early game slog, as well as the money pit that is fuel/food rationing

Let's hope early access doesn't turn in into a total pile

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Safeword posted:

Mutants are inherently dangerous

this is gonna be where someone tells me some writer down the line gave him omega-level abilities or some poo poo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

*checks wikipedia* mothergently caress

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Ha!

Was thinking along the lines of that kid who literally melted people with his mere presence, but still.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

*checks wikipedia* mothergently caress

What are his omega level powers

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

It didn't need another season

i dunno, i think it did as it ended on the dumbest cliffhanger i've ever seen since the ending to the fourth episode of the walking dead season 2. Hey, maybe they'll cover what happened with Borderlands three-ahahahahahahaAHAHAHAHA you're next on the chopping block, gearbox. better get it out quick while people still care!

telltale as a whole kept biting off more than they could chew. for a while they were doing fine making goofy games like Sam and Max, Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (very good), and Back to the Future, but then after the first season of the Walking Dead they suddenly thought "Lets try making four games at the same time", boom, now they've got the Wolf among Us in development (lol @ the eight month gap between the first and second episode, still mad about that), the Game of Thrones thing everyone hated, Tales from the Borderlands which was shockingly good, and loving Minecraft: Story Mode. oh yeah i guess a few years later they also attempted making a Guardians of the Galaxy game and a Batman game.

None of those did very well, and the only thing that kept them going was their Walking Dead games, except the third season (while not as awful as the second) was so boring and tepid that nobody gave a poo poo that "CLEMENTINE WILL BE BACK" yet again. Well, that and the fact that it was only until the last loving season of the walking dead game that they thought to move to a better engine

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wasn't there some weird feud regarding telltale and their jurassic park game and a goon who had a jurassic park jeep that allegedly got damaged by telltale or something along those lines?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yes, his Jeep got scratched in transit from some event to promote the awful JP game. Eventually someone pointed out that the damage looked like the cover over the car hadn't been properly attached and a clamp was loose or something, he would ignore people asking who put the cover on IIRC.

Also I'm pretty sure he doxxed the poor woman who was his contact at Telltale and released her contact info for people to harass her because of his stupid car that he probably damaged himself.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another one for Monster Hunter World: Flying monsters suck and whichever dev decided they should feature prominently in just about every other story mission should have their head examined.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Perestroika posted:

Another one for Monster Hunter World: Flying monsters suck and whichever dev decided they should feature prominently in just about every other story mission should have their head examined.

I felt the same way then I realized mid battle crafting via the item wheel was a thing.

Turns out having 13 flashbombs instead of three per camp visit helps.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Veotax posted:

Also I'm pretty sure he doxxed the poor woman who was his contact at Telltale and released her contact info for people to harass her because of his stupid car that he probably damaged himself.

Worse. It was some random woman who was out on leave for cancer treatment.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Veotax posted:

Yes, his Jeep got scratched in transit from some event to promote the awful JP game. Eventually someone pointed out that the damage looked like the cover over the car hadn't been properly attached and a clamp was loose or something, he would ignore people asking who put the cover on IIRC.

Not a specifically games related complaint, but doxxing bothers me because it shows that you're too much of a coward to murder someone over stupid bullshit yourself.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Picked up Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for 10 bux. Haven't played a DE game in a long while but remember liking it. Anything drag it down that I should know about or avoid before I fire it up? I hate going down a worthless skill tree or wasting time on dumb poo poo ina game only to find out none of it mattered.

Thanks in advance.

Also grabbed NBA 2k16 about a month ago and that game owns, especially all the classic teams and players, but a few things bug me. When did sports games remove "create a team" options? Neither Madden 16 or this one has that feature. I used to love creating my own uniforms and stuff. in NBA, the shot stick is taking me a LOT to get used to. You shoot with the right analog stick and aim it in different directions to do fade aways, hooks and dunks but I'm SO used to button presses for this stuff.

There's also a shot meter shaped like a circle under each player that's used to show his sweet spot to release the shot but way too often a score overlay or another player sort of obscures , especially during free throws.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I just can't get over how little the main character in DQ 11 emotes. There's been important events happening one after the other, and in each one he just looks mildly angry/determined. I was pleasantly surprised in one scene where he actually smiled a bit. Wow! On one other occasion, he actually physically reacted to something in a way that wasn't just entering a battle stance. Amazing!

The graphics are just too detailed e: and the plot-relevance/connectedness of the character too established for a literal blank slate to work. When you watch an old man cry for his dead daughter and son-in-law, and the whole party looks sad except Hero Dude who's still just mildly angry/determined, it just completely breaks the mood. I started trying to avoid looking at him in cutscenes so I can better take them the way they're intended.

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Sep 22, 2018

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Picked up Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for 10 bux. Haven't played a DE game in a long while but remember liking it. Anything drag it down that I should know about or avoid before I fire it up? I hate going down a worthless skill tree or wasting time on dumb poo poo ina game only to find out none of it mattered.

Thanks in advance.

There's a way to remove the ability overload thing early in the game, but it's really obscure unless you Google it. Otherwise you won't get it fixed until right at the end.

If you got the complete edition with all the DLC, there are extra weapons that you can pull from online storage into your inventory. Unlike the extra Praxis, these can be reused in other playthroughs. They are basically cheats anyway.

Similarly there is a DLC ability to disassemble things into weapon parts that is ridiculously overpowered if you max it out and disassemble every spare weapon you find. Up to you how easy you want to make things!

Make sure you really explore the city. Some of the best content is in the sidequests you come across just by exploring and talking to people. Also there are loads of cool secrets hidden around that are super rewarding to uncover.

Hacking is mega useful and if you don't put point in early enough you can miss some cool stuff in areas that can't be returned to.

Convex has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Sep 22, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

Wasn't there some weird feud regarding telltale and their jurassic park game and a goon who had a jurassic park jeep that allegedly got damaged by telltale or something along those lines?

That was Boomerjinks, he bought a car cover that was explicitly not to be used for transporting vehicles and it was that whipping around in the back of a car carrier that caused the damage when it was shipped to a gaming event to promote the game, it was 100% his fault and even by the standards of a guy who spends exorbitant amounts of time and making crappy car mods based on movies for children he acted like a tremendous child about the whole thing even after Telltale's co-founder offered to pay for repairs out of pocket just to shut him up.

Also he sells bootleg movie merchandise and got busted stealing other peoples art to sell bootleg movie posters based on his cars. The fact that he was a minor forums celebrity once upon a time is a testament to how lame the good old days of this site actually were.

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks in advance.

Three tips:
-You start the game with most of your skills unlocked but one of the first story missions in Prague will remove them all when you do it. The only penalty for staying powered up until then is some slight glitch effects on your HUD so feel free to take advantage of that for as long as you like.
-Prague is the only hub in the game, as fun as exploring all the different living spaces is and as tempting as it is to do all the side quests before starting story missions you absolutely will burn yourself out if you do that. Pace yourself so that you always have side things to do and explore when you move from one story mission to the next instead of stripmining all the content and then being bored running and forth with nothing to do.
-The remote hacking ability doesn't let you use your usual hacking skill at a distance like you might think it does but instead lets you hack an entirely new class of smaller devices. If you plan on exploring or using stealth at all it is absolutely worth it since a lot of devices like powered ladders and windows require it to interface with them

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Far Cry 5 has put in a New Game + and starting over again brings up a really stupid point. After the opening of the game the guy who rescues you burns your deputy uniform but it doesn't actually do anything since every NPC and enemy just knows who you are on sight anyway.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I just can't get over how little the main character in DQ 11 emotes. There's been important events happening one after the other, and in each one he just looks mildly angry/determined. I was pleasantly surprised in one scene where he actually smiled a bit. Wow! On one other occasion, he actually physically reacted to something in a way that wasn't just entering a battle stance. Amazing!

The graphics are just too detailed e: and the plot-relevance/connectedness of the character too established for a literal blank slate to work. When you watch an old man cry for his dead daughter and son-in-law, and the whole party looks sad except Hero Dude who's still just mildly angry/determined, it just completely breaks the mood. I started trying to avoid looking at him in cutscenes so I can better take them the way they're intended.

This is annoying, though it's even worse when the unchanging face is smiling all the time.

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 03:47 on Sep 23, 2018

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
It's me. I'm the thing dragging down my games. :smith:
I've been trying a lot of games recently, and I've used a Steam refund on about six of the last seven I bought, once because of DRM issues, but the rest are just me not finding games fun.
I bought ATOM RPG and now I just am hesitant to start it because I'll probably just get sick of it and refund it within two hours.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

And there was a mission to rescue a hooker before she was forced to get augments to satisfy fetishists. I'm not sure I'd want a handjob from someone with a robot arm that could yank my dick off if it glitched.

https://twitter.com/DaveMMAdden/status/1034464442698817536

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PubicMice posted:

This is annoying, though it's even worse when the unchanging face is smiling all the time.

Has there been a game where the main character was always smiling, while every other character showed a full range of emotions? Seriously, it amazed me how well they managed to detail the facial expressions on these characters, which makes Hero Dude's general lack of them stand out so much.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Post poste posted:

I've been trying a lot of games recently, and I've used a Steam refund on about six of the last seven I bought, once because of DRM issues, but the rest are just me not finding games fun.
I bought ATOM RPG and now I just am hesitant to start it because I'll probably just get sick of it and refund it within two hours.

I don't think it's the games, you probably need to focus on something else for a while.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Has there been a game where the main character was always smiling, while every other character showed a full range of emotions? Seriously, it amazed me how well they managed to detail the facial expressions on these characters, which makes Hero Dude's general lack of them stand out so much.

Pokemon Sun and Moon. Well, almost, there are a few moments where the protagonist changes their expression, but quite often everyone else is emoting properly and they're just smiling like an idiot.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Post poste posted:

My advice: Play a type of game you usually don't play. If you're anything like me, you have a big ol list of steam games you own but haven't played. Play one, especially something you got in a bundle and didn't pick up on its own.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Has there been a game where the main character was always smiling

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Is that the audience from the Gary Goodridge vs Pedro Otavio fight? http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-least-sportsmanlike-moments-in-mma/

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Okay but there it was always appropriate.

Ratoslov posted:

Pokemon Sun and Moon. Well, almost, there are a few moments where the protagonist changes their expression, but quite often everyone else is emoting properly and they're just smiling like an idiot.

Alright, I guess that's one at least. I forgot to add the 'whole plot literally revolves around the main protagonist and many other characters/events are directly connected to them' part, which makes the lack of emoting infinitely worse for me.

FrankZP just finished the original Erdrick Trilogy of DQ 1-3, and in the final dungeon of DQ 3 you run into Ortega, the hero's father who's a hero in their own sake and has gone on ahead of the main protag to save the world. When you run into him he's fighting a monster, and after the battle he dies. Now obviously nobody's emoting there because everything is NES sprites, but that scene has a huge impact on the player! But imagine if the graphics were better and the Hero player character just stood there with the same expression they always have while their dad is dying. It would ruin the whole scene IMO, and it happens constantly in DQ 11 (at least up to the point where I'm at, I suppose the game could always pull a Lost Odyssey at some point)!

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Sep 23, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

spit on my clit posted:

Oh yeah I guess a few years later they also attempted making a Guardians of the Galaxy game and a Batman game.

What sucks is the Batman games were pretty good even, the first one did a neat spin on the Waynes I can't remember the comics doing and the second used characters in some creative ways, my only gripe being that they didn't let you have a full husbando Joker ending. :(

Also I'm still always cracked up that people didn't like the GoT game, it's the exact same experience as the books and show, just a constant edgy procession of having sand kicked in your eyes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I can't hear the Sarafan Keep music in Soul Reaver 2 without being reminded of and humming the theme from Mousehunt (watching Alexeythegreat's LP)

My brain turns this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OhQoy9ibQ8&t=151s into this for some reason:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzaAyQTCcOc&t=55s

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
"Why is FFXV all pixilated?"
Notices 63gb texture pack to download
"Oh."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
playing Terranigma still... just got to Bloody Mart--and absolutely stomped that boss. I had more trouble with the four spinning ghost dolls. It was either this thread or the PYF little things thread that warned me that this boss was a Redrum/Matador-esque road block so I wound up grinding a few levels (to 25 from 21).

I guess I'm disappointed it was over so fast

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Whoever decided that the otherwise completely awesome >observer needed instafail first person stealth sequences should take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

NonzeroCircle posted:

"Why is FFXV all pixilated?"
Notices 63gb texture pack to download
"Oh."

Is that the 4k textures?

Steam says the install size with those is 155 gigs. Fuuuuuck

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

1stGear posted:

I would really love for Alexis Kennedy to get hired to write for people who know how to make a game.

The Horizon Signal DLC for Stellaris is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

playing Terranigma still... just got to Bloody Mart--and absolutely stomped that boss. I had more trouble with the four spinning ghost dolls. It was either this thread or the PYF little things thread that warned me that this boss was a Redrum/Matador-esque road block so I wound up grinding a few levels (to 25 from 21).

I guess I'm disappointed it was over so fast

The way the math works even a single level over the threshold to damage her is a huge jump so being that many over the minimim is crushing. Conversely, being even one level below turns it into an absolute horror show.