Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SlimGoodbody posted:

I mean, it sounds like he was uniquely capable of doing it right, then.

I mean from a certain point of view I suppose using nuclear weapons just enough to set yourself up as Dictator For Life is technically "doing it right."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm sure the president of the United States of America would agree.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm sure the president of the United States of America would agree.

For those with short memories Nicolae Ceaușescu is a better example.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

quote:

Ki-rata is the most rigorous, vicious, and powerful martial art in the multiverse. It is essentially a superweapon. Its masters are chiefly concerned with becoming powerful enough to stop other people from learning it and not to practice it themselves. When they must teach it to a student, that student must swear never to actually use it. It is taught chiefly so that there are those among the living who recognize it and know its shape and are powerful enough to kill someone who learns it by themselves.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPj6viIBmU

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
it's 2:30am and i can't sleep, i'm haunted by dave's abs

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

this broken hill posted:

Oh good so it's not just me losing sleep over this.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

SlimGoodbody posted:

Okay who we casting as Solomon in the Kill 6 Billion Demons film adaptation. I'm thinking maybe the dude who played M'Baku from Black Panther since he is also seventeen feet tall, jacked, and regal

if it was voice-only then whoever the voice actor for the monk in diablo 3 was (according to this video, jamieson price) because that what i imagine him sounding like

wouldn't work for live action because that dude is white as poo poo and also not ripped

President Ark fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 22, 2018

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So either Solomon-David has broken his vow and freely uses Ki Rata, or he's mastered a thousand other martial arts. We haven't seen any angels in Dave's empire but he seems like the Demiurge they'd be most likely to work for and teach martial arts. I can't wait for Dave to break out 50 Empty Palms.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Do the angels all have their own unique fighting style? Like, White Chain calls their style ## palms because they're always improving it?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

DarkCrawler posted:

From what I imagine about it, he has taught it to thousand sons of his, but none actually lived past the student phase.

:thejoke:

wiegieman posted:

Do the angels all have their own unique fighting style? Like, White Chain calls their style ## palms because they're always improving it?

I think like normal Kung-Fu, there's several schools/styles known of, such that practitioners of one at least can recognize others, but instead of taking 20 years to study Eagle Claw, Tiger Crane, Mantis Claw, etc - angels spend half a kalpa or so studying Patram Sword Hand, 4X Empty Palms (I don't know if White Chain going from 47 to 49 is deliberate or a continuous typo of one), Leisure Kicks, etc.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

White Coke posted:

So either Solomon-David has broken his vow and freely uses Ki Rata, or he's mastered a thousand other martial arts. We haven't seen any angels in Dave's empire but he seems like the Demiurge they'd be most likely to work for and teach martial arts. I can't wait for Dave to break out 50 Empty Palms.

He'll bust out Ki Rata to fight back after Allison defeats him with 49 empty palms and be shamed by his actions.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
something tells me solomon david making a vow to not use the kung fu equivalent of thermonuclear weapons will last exactly as long as he's not in a situation where he needs to use the kung fu equivalent of thermonuclear weapons

in his mind he's the only person responsible enough to use it so whatever, make the vow not to use it, it'll get the lesser people off him and then he can use this if he needs it

President Ark fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 22, 2018

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I just want to see Allison headbutt a god with another god. That is all I require from this chapter.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

MikeJF posted:

He'll bust out Ki Rata to fight back after Allison defeats him with 49 empty palms and be shamed by his actions.

Blowing up the entire stadium, and at least one of the suns, will be pretty shameful.

President Ark posted:

something tells me solomon david making a vow to not use the kung fu equivalent of thermonuclear weapons will last exactly as long as he's not in a situation where he needs to use the kung fu equivalent of thermonuclear weapons

in his mind he's the only person responsible enough to use it so whatever, make the vow not to use it, it'll get the lesser people off him and then he can use this if he needs it

Well he is the Grandmaster, so who could tell him not to?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ah, so it's a Brahmastra.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Bongo Bill posted:

It's also a Forbidden Kung Fu technique, while the Brahmastra is more 'you may only use this weapon once, and have to be sufficiently enlightened or awesome to earn it' - although of course that varies wildly in the epics.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

this broken hill posted:

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1043163118719967232?s=09

Bongo Bill posted:

:yeshaha:

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/CratesRoss/status/1041953198330609665

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Could have been worse, we could have been left staring at Zaid's lovely facial hair

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

oh. oh no. please no. anything but those rock hard rippling muscles of goodhood.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it kind of rules that Solomon David is "what if Dugu Wu Di won"

for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, watch Return of Bastard Swordsman, immediately. it's on youtube. the closest thing to it as far as moviegoing experiences go is Mad Max Fury Road, in that the director has heard of pacing and will have none of that nonsense in his film young man

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the movie features the following exchange

Protagonist: "why did you kill everyone at the monastery?"

Dugu Wu Di, Seated On A Throne Being Carried By Two Attendants: "Ah-hah-hah-hah-hah. I am a man of noble stature. I win people over."
*lengthy dramatic pause.*
"With my kung fu."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Return of the Bastard Swordsman also has the main enemy get completely owned and flustered because a fortune teller more or less shows up and says "howdy motherfucker you did kung-fu so hard your dick don't work anymore and because you broke your dick your heart is gonna explode and kill you, you dummy, you fool, you chump" and this is so emotionally devastating to Dugu Wu Di that it just throws off his entire game for the rest of the movie because he's just thinking about the fortune and it makes him reckless and paranoid to be called out like that. So it's perfectly in canon with the rest of KSBD in the sense of "powerful person gets completely wrecked by accident by tricksy rear end in a top hat".

The movie's kind of a weird meandering mess though. In true Shaw Brothers fashion but nevertheless.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 23, 2018

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

DancingShade posted:

For those with short memories Nicolae Ceaușescu is a better example.

You're gonna have to explain this one to me, by my recollection Romania never had nukes (though not for lack of trying)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Renaissance Robot posted:

You're gonna have to explain this one to me, by my recollection Romania never had nukes (though not for lack of trying)

Dictator for life.

Quite literally as it turned out.

I thought people knew about this part of history :shrug:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yeah but he didn't use nukes "just enough" to get there did he?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Renaissance Robot posted:

Yeah but he didn't use nukes "just enough" to get there did he?

No, I thought the dictator for life part was the objective though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DancingShade posted:

No, I thought the dictator for life part was the objective though.

My post was made in response to someone suggesting that Solomon David might very well be capable of using a martial art best described as a superweapon "correctly" when the point is that there is no way to responsibly use something like that. The fact that he's a Demiurge isn't proof that he's capable of being trusted with something like that, it's proof that he isn't capable of being trusted with it, otherwise he wouldn't be hosting multiversal martial arts tournaments daring the most ruthless and ambitious people in the world to take their shot at the king while holding what amounts to a nuclear bomb over their heads.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kai Tave posted:

My post was made in response to someone suggesting that Solomon David might very well be capable of using a martial art best described as a superweapon "correctly" when the point is that there is no way to responsibly use something like that. The fact that he's a Demiurge isn't proof that he's capable of being trusted with something like that, it's proof that he isn't capable of being trusted with it, otherwise he wouldn't be hosting multiversal martial arts tournaments daring the most ruthless and ambitious people in the world to take their shot at the king while holding what amounts to a nuclear bomb over their heads.

Okay fair enough. It goes with the idea that they're all powered by pure ego.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still love the fact that the plot of Tactics Ogre was inspired by the Yugoslavian conflict.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still love the fact that the plot of Tactics Ogre was inspired by the Yugoslavian conflict.

Yasumi Matsuno loves his history. Final fantasy tactics, that he also worked on, was inspired by 'the war of the roses'.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

More questions keeping me awake at night:

Who changes the giant diaper?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

:stonk:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
considering the giant baby is made of gold maybe its profitable!

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
I'm sure a capable warrior like Hrotomos can change his own diaper :rolleyes:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

diapers are basically just walls if you think about it

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Xarbala posted:

diapers are basically just walls if you think about it

Except you never want someone to 'Koolaid man' their diaper

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
OH NOOOO

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
hrotomos puts on his pants just like the rest of us, combat diaper first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Kai Tave posted:

So in other words that's why they have to build a new stadium each time.