Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

Your LS400 must feel like a jet in comparison.

LS430. And honestly right off the line they are about the same believe it or not (the Lexus is a heavy tank), but of course the Lexus pulls away after that. Also from a rolling start or going to pass at highway speeds the Lexus just goes. The xB's quickness is all in the bottom end which is great for driving around town, the torque is what surprised me, it gets off the line really quick for a n/a 4cyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Even better. :getin:

I'm not ready to call it "fixed" yet, but I drained the Redline 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil from the front diff. Oil looked fine, no metal, no burned smell.

I filled it back up with Lucas Synthetic SAE 75W-90 Gear Oil. This is the first time I've used a Lucas product, I've always viewed them as snake oil, but this was all the local shop had in stock.

I took the car out and it immediately made the same noise, but, as I put about 8 miles on it with some highway speed driving, it quieted down, a ton. It's still there if I listen closely, but it was noticeably louder before. I'm hoping that a couple days of circlulating and everything gets re-lubed. It took a while for the noise to show after I put the Redline in, so I'm hopeful.

Hope springs eternal.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Bajaha posted:

Best thing for fast cars is to own something slow that you regularly drive too. I find it really helps to prevent your baseline definition of "fast" from getting too crazy.

At one point I had both my -V wagon tuned at like ~650 crank hp (corrected) as well as my '91 RT4WD Civic with ~108hp factory crank hp 25 years prior that I used as my airport/winter car, and then later on after the Civic was gone I had a '97 LX450 on 33s and stock gears that was so, so slow.

Contrast is good for the brain for sure, I was complacent as poo poo in the -V knowing I could point it for any break in traffic and simply teleport there. The Civic while tiny and nimble still had no acceleration, and the LX was, well, a rolling roadblock. Passes were infrequent and planned.

Glad the BMW is quieting down for you!

Tremek fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 24, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

At one point I had both my -V wagon tuned at like ~650 crank hp (corrected) as well as my '91 RT4WD Civic with ~108hp factory crank hp 25 years prior that I used as my airport/winter car, and then later on after the Civic was gone I had a '97 LX450 on 33s and stock gears that was so, so slow.

Contrast is good for the brain for sure, I was complacent as poo poo in the -V knowing I could point it for any break in traffic and simply teleport there. The Civic while tiny and nimble still had no acceleration, and the LX was, well, a rolling roadblock. Passes were infrequent and planned.

Glad the BMW is quieting down for you!

Haha, that's silly fast. This car would probably be ~100 when you were at ~110.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Haha, that's silly fast. This car would probably be ~100 when you were at ~110.

Man, your wagon is a rocket ship as-is then. Hope the weird noises quiet down for you and you can just drive it and enjoy it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Can't enjoy it fully while it's still whining like this. I took it out again and it's the same. I think the rain and getting it warmed up made it sound like it had lessened. So, I changed the rear differential fluid again. Again, no change. So, we have:

Whining noise from start all the way up. Higher pitched as speed increases. Shows under light load, either acceleration or deceleration.
No difference in whatever gear or neutral. Transmission fluid and filter changed less than 1k miles ago.
No difference when turning. Tires have less than 1k miles on them.
No difference after changing front differential, rear differential and transfer case fluids.

It really, really sounds like gears, like I said before, you can just about hear teeth engagement when it's almost stopped. The rotational speed sounds like an old school speedo gear speed / noise.

I have not changed guibo or center driveshaft bearing, but neither of those really look like the culprit.

I've poured through all forums I can find, and there doesn't seem to be a failure like this that's documented.

Strange and annoying. :{

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I'm just coming at this from a different perspective, but my old S-10 Blazer had this crazy whine like that, that drove me crazy because we had swapped the engine and put a lift kit on it - and it was the speedo cable (which for all I know your wagon doesn't even have)

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My '06 E90 and '15 F30 didn't / don't have that whine, but my '09 E90 definitely did. I don't think I ever found out what it was, other than some googling that suggested some years of awd BMW's were loud. :( It was definitely a different sound than a wheel bearing going out. At this point I forget if it was the rear diff or the transfer case.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

I'm just coming at this from a different perspective, but my old S-10 Blazer had this crazy whine like that, that drove me crazy because we had swapped the engine and put a lift kit on it - and it was the speedo cable (which for all I know your wagon doesn't even have)

If it had a speedo cable, that is exactly what it'd be from the sound. But it doesn't. :(

Alarbus posted:

My '06 E90 and '15 F30 didn't / don't have that whine, but my '09 E90 definitely did. I don't think I ever found out what it was, other than some googling that suggested some years of awd BMW's were loud. :( It was definitely a different sound than a wheel bearing going out. At this point I forget if it was the rear diff or the transfer case.

My Avalon has a gear whine that gets loud right at about 35mph. It's a known thing with that Aisin transmission and it's annoying, but I don't care because that's just what they do.

This, though, just showed up after I did the shotgun maintenance. It was dead silent before. At the same time, this has seen a harder 1k miles than any time in its past... so I figure it'll either get worse, stay the same or go away. If it gets worse, I should be able to find out what it is sooner. If it stays the same, I just need to add that to the list of "normal" sounds it makes. If it goes away, I'll be happy.

Only time will tell now, I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My Mazda6 had some serious whining that sounds like what you're describing but in my case, changing out the oil like you already did made it go away.

...and then I could hear all the other noises it was making.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Can you pull the front driveshaft and test drive without it?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

If you have a mechanic's stethoscope maybe try lifting it up on stands, throwing it in gear, and poking around to see if can narrow down the source?

How does this one sense speed? Wheel speed sensors or a vss in the trans?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can you pull the front driveshaft and test drive without it?

I can. That was one of my thoughts, but at this point, :effort:

Bajaha posted:

If you have a mechanic's stethoscope maybe try lifting it up on stands, throwing it in gear, and poking around to see if can narrow down the source?

How does this one sense speed? Wheel speed sensors or a vss in the trans?

Wheel speed sensors. I ran it in gear on jack stands this morning and there was no noise anywhere. However, the car freaked right the gently caress out, as BMWs are prone to do when they see odd behavior.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Have you ruled out the alternator or belt tensioner? Isn't that engine known to have leaks off the oil filter housing onto the belts? A neighbor had what sounded like a mad transmission whine from her car that turned out to be the alternator.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Guessing he has. If it doesn't do it at idle speed vs. at speed but in neutral then yeah probably drive train/wheel bearing/etc. :(

Seminal Flu posted:

Wheel speed sensors. I ran it in gear on jack stands this morning and there was no noise anywhere. However, the car freaked right the gently caress out, as BMWs are prone to do when they see odd behavior.

Reminds me...We did competitive testing on a 3 series a few years back that freaked out on a fairly banked (think nascar oval) 180 degree turn. I was surprised the ~Ultimate Driving Machine~ can't take a little camber without bitching out.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 24, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BloodBag posted:

Have you ruled out the alternator or belt tensioner? Isn't that engine known to have leaks off the oil filter housing onto the belts? A neighbor had what sounded like a mad transmission whine from her car that turned out to be the alternator.

Larrymer posted:

Guessing he has. If it doesn't do it at idle speed vs. at speed but in neutral then yeah probably drive train/wheel bearing/etc. :(

That's what I'm thinking. It has no correlation to engine speed. And it sounds really gear-y.

quote:

Reminds me...We did competitive testing on a 3 series a few years back that freaked out on a fairly banked (think nascar oval) 180 degree turn. I was surprised the ~Ultimate Driving Machine~ can't take a little camber without bitching out.

They overreact like crazy. If you see ABS/Traction Control/4x4/etc all flash at once, it is usually a small single point of failure. The good thing is that a BMW-specific code reader can pinpoint the problem pretty easily.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

BloodBag posted:

I can't say I've ever heard of a MK3 Focus having this problem, and they're all direct injected. What about the Isuzu Axiom? Or a bunch of KIAs with that GDI stuff. It seems to me it's more of a German car issue, as VAG cars are well known for coking up, and apparently so are BMWs. Does Porsche or Mercedes to this too?

I know toyota takes care of it by having a second set of intake injectors.

I know I'm replying to a 3 month old post, but the Mitsubishi 2.4 GDI engines (4G64) are notorious for this and the second hand value of cars with that engine here reflects that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cached Money posted:

I know I'm replying to a 3 month old post, but the Mitsubishi 2.4 GDI engines (4G64) are notorious for this and the second hand value of cars with that engine here reflects that.

Have I been loving around with this thing for three months???

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Plus two weeks!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

Plus two weeks!

:sigh: Thanks.

In other news, Dad and I just decided to pass on this one: https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-bmw-540i-ssport/6706341899.html

M-Sport E39 540i with 94k miles for $3500. But it's been rode hard and put away wet... Obvious paint work, either passenger side panels or passenger rear/sill/roof. Missing front M-Sport bumper and M-Parallel wheels, at least. Missing temperature sensor and some other malfunction from what I see on the instrument panel. If I was looking for a BMW project, maybe. But I already have a BMW project. :D

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

My Avalon has a gear whine that gets loud right at about 35mph. It's a known thing with that Aisin transmission and it's annoying, but I don't care because that's just what they do.

This has me wondering, my xB exhibits transmission gear whine, I hope it's normal :ohdear:

Looks like mine has the Toyota U241E, there's nothing documented about it.....Could it be something else making the noise?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm going to put forward that it's been making the noise since you got it; you just noticed after doing all the maintenance cause you were paying more attention.

Say 10 hail V8's and ignore it forever.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This has me wondering, my xB exhibits transmission gear whine, I hope it's normal :ohdear:

Looks like mine has the Toyota U241E, there's nothing documented about it.....Could it be something else making the noise?

A lot of gear noises aren't really problems, they're just factors of a mechanical system not perfectly aligned. The "Aisin Whine" is something that Toyota dealt with in the early '00s and yeah, it's annoying, but the car is a cockroach, so you just ignore the whine. I'd bet yours is the same.

I'm leaning towards that being the problem with this 535i, but I need to watch it a bit. I seem to be hearing a high-pitched whine at speed, which points more toward a pinion bearing in a gearbox somewhere instead of gears. That's something that would just necessitate a replacement of that particular gearbox (god, I hope it's the rear).

However, it could be worse. Ask me about my UrS4 that had a pinion bearing in the transmission go out in '99, when the gearboxes were $1500+ if you could find them, and that specific pinion bearing was failing on all of them. :cry: (Result: I sold it.)

angryrobots posted:

I'm going to put forward that it's been making the noise since you got it; you just noticed after doing all the maintenance cause you were paying more attention.

Say 10 hail V8's and ignore it forever.

I wish that was the case. However, I actually pointed out to people how loving quiet the damned thing was as I was first driving it. Still doing my penance, though.

As I say that, though... your theory may be partially true -- since I bought it, we've seen higher than normal temperatures, mostly highs in the upper-80s and into the 90s. There's a chance that now that we're cooler, the whine is showing more with the gearbox oil viscosity change. Which would explain why it seemed to be quieter when I got done driving it earlier today when the oil was up to temperature.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 24, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I think the whine is getting louder, so I'll be able to track it down easier. I'm thinking it's the transfer case, which is readily available, under $500 and not an absolute nightmare to replace, so that's good.

I've got a video of the noise I'll put up later.

My camera did a lovely recording and I was unstable, but here's a bit of a pull. The road was damp, so I hit traction control at about 50 which killed the fun, but you can see a solid bit of pull from 60-85. Not going to keep up with Tremek's supercharged LS, but not too shabby... (bonus CEL from the stupid electronic thermostat at the end)

https://i.imgur.com/x4t4sVI.mp4

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Having fun? That's a mil for you. I got one good pull out of a 135 coupe before it popped a mil and went into reduced power mode. loving BMWs.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BloodBag posted:

Having fun? That's a mil for you. I got one good pull out of a 135 coupe before it popped a mil and went into reduced power mode. loving BMWs.

Purely coincidental, the light is just a thermostat fault, it would have kept on pulling, I ran out of road. But yeah, they trigger on so many stupid things. Thankfully, the only times I've seen the "half engine" light were when things were legitimately disconnected (bypass valve blew off, pressure hose blew off, etc.)

Edit: In doing some looking, I think I have a better than even chance of it being just fine with the removal of the front driveshaft, like IOC said. I'm assuming the noise is from the transfer case or the front diff, and removing the driveshaft takes that load off. Bonus would be burnouts. Negative would be traction, since it loses traction driving all 4 wheels.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 25, 2018

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

My camera did a lovely recording and I was unstable, but here's a bit of a pull. The road was damp, so I hit traction control at about 50 which killed the fun, but you can see a solid bit of pull from 60-85. Not going to keep up with Tremek's supercharged LS, but not too shabby... (bonus CEL from the stupid electronic thermostat at the end)

I don't own it anymore :( so you sir have the current AI fastest-wagon crown that I'm aware of (unless there's an E63s AMG somewhere around here): that looks quick!

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Seminal Flu posted:

Purely coincidental, the light is just a thermostat fault, it would have kept on pulling, I ran out of road. But yeah, they trigger on so many stupid things. Thankfully, the only times I've seen the "half engine" light were when things were legitimately disconnected (bypass valve blew off, pressure hose blew off, etc.)

Edit: In doing some looking, I think I have a better than even chance of it being just fine with the removal of the front driveshaft, like IOC said. I'm assuming the noise is from the transfer case or the front diff, and removing the driveshaft takes that load off. Bonus would be burnouts. Negative would be traction, since it loses traction driving all 4 wheels.

Re: thermostat fault. Have you checked the wiring to the thermostat to see if it's all connected right? I learned through my friends car that BMWs (and probably lots of other cars) have electronically controlled thermostats that can be opened electronically to speed up engine warmup for better fuel economy and poo poo. We just replaced his because it was toast and probably never was replaced ever since the car rolled out of the dealership in '04.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cached Money posted:

Re: thermostat fault. Have you checked the wiring to the thermostat to see if it's all connected right? I learned through my friends car that BMWs (and probably lots of other cars) have electronically controlled thermostats that can be opened electronically to speed up engine warmup for better fuel economy and poo poo. We just replaced his because it was toast and probably never was replaced ever since the car rolled out of the dealership in '04.

That's exactly what it is, BMW's stated that the operation actually turns on a heater in the thermostat to make it actuate and cool the oil more when the engine is working hard.

The PO had a Dorman thermostat installed and it's hosed. Wiring is fine, thermostat works fine, but the heater element inside the thermostat is dead.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've always drove slow cars that you can drive fast, and when I went from a 1.6 Miata to a 1.8 it was like woooooooohooooo! Really a small difference but felt huge lol.

Also my xB feels like a rocket ship compared to our HHR which is bizarre. The Chevy is just so loving anemic.

GM really crippled all of the Delta platform cars with the gearing, but the automatics got it especially bad. The programming on that transmission is just horrible.

GF's 5 speed Matrix feels a lot quicker than my 5 speed Ion. Hers is about 150 lbs lighter, has 15 less hp, and 15 ft/lbs less (though she has VVT), so you'd think they'd feel about the same. But no, her car just feels a lot quicker overall (once you get used to the touchy as gently caress clutch), and handles a lot better. I don't like the seating position for the driver in it, but it just feels like it's put together better (as you'd expect in econobox Toyota vs econobox GM).

I'm sure part of the handling is the mileage difference (155k vs 86k - her car is older, so I can't say it's age related), but it has no creaks or rattles. There's a very obvious build quality difference between the two cars, obviously in the Toyota's favor.

I will give the Saturn this - it's a much better road trip car. It's a bit quieter, the suspension is a lot softer, and the seats are a lot more comfortable. (also, cruise control) It also just feels like the engine is a lot more comfortable cruising at ~75 mph (probably because it's not wound up halfway to the moon). But with the electrical stuff that's started cropping up, I'm getting to where I don't want to trust it much beyond AAA free tow distance (100 miles in my case).

opengl128 posted:

Can confirm. Beater is a....I dunno 130ish hp Vibe. Driving the 460hp Mustang after driving the Vibe for a few days makes it feels like a supercar haha.

140hp/145 ft lbs with VVT on the base model's 1.8.

Try driving a Cobalt or Ion. See the rest of my post (the Vibe is just a Matrix with a Pontiac body, GM radio, and GM AC).

Seminal Flu posted:

This, though, just showed up after I did the shotgun maintenance.

That's.... odd. Yours is an XLS, right? Mom's XLS doesn't have any gear whine, though IIRC it's slightly newer (03). It's had regular transmission fluid changes, though, always with Toyota ATF.

Anytime I drive it I beat on it a bit, because I know she never takes it past 3k, maybe 3500. Still shifts "firm enough that you know the transmission is in good shape, but not jarring" when you hammer it, even with almost 170k on it. Far from a rocket, but for a boat, it moves okay. The irony is the average MPG on the trip computer always goes up a bit (sometimes by up to 3 mpg) when I drive it for a day. :iiam: She's talking about getting rid of it soon (radiator is weeping, apparently that's her breaking point), and knows the trade on it won't be poo poo, so I might take it off her hands. Yeah, it's an ugly grandma car, but I know the full service history on it from day 1, and it's a bulletproof drivetrain that should run until dinosaurs roam the earth again.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 26, 2018

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

STR posted:

(once you get used to the touchy as gently caress clutch), and handles a lot

Does it engage like a quarter inch off the firewall because that's what my wife's tC did and holy gently caress that sucked to drive. Just a twitch off the firewall it begins to engage and then a tiny amount later it's fully engaged and then the rest of the pedal travel does nothing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's about halfway up before it grabs, but yeah it not only gets grabby real quick, but if you're too twitchy on the pedal, you either stall it or bounce it off the rev limiter + let clutch smoke escape.

This is with the brand new clutch, after a couple of thousand miles. The original clutch wasn't as bad, but it was still really touchy. It's a pretty difficult car to drive smoothly, this coming from someone who has driven manual Hondas and Nissans most of his life - but I suspect the flywheel is just too light for a daily driver.

It's one of the few cars that I would say would greatly benefit from a heavier flywheel. It's a very rev happy engine with a light flywheel in a fairly heavy (for a 1.8L engine) car. It honestly feels like it got a (very) lightened flywheel, but it went to a chain shop for the clutch job. I know it got a new flywheel, I just don't know if it got a stock one or if someone went 2F2F with it.

My Saturn's clutch starts grabbing just off the firewall, but it has a ~25 pound flywheel. You can't stall it without actively trying to stall it. You can just sidestep the Saturn's clutch at idle, and it usually takes off (not smoothly, but it does take off).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Every single time I'm amazed at the length you're able to talk about GM econoboxes. :allears:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

Does it engage like a quarter inch off the firewall because that's what my wife's tC did and holy gently caress that sucked to drive. Just a twitch off the firewall it begins to engage and then a tiny amount later it's fully engaged and then the rest of the pedal travel does nothing.

I read a lot of reviews about xB clutches being horrible as well and it stopped me from getting a manual xB, although I was never able to drive one to actually see what the fuss was all about. Apparently the clutch has no "feel" and the shifter sucks, people were saying it wasn't very fun for a manual. Kind of a bummer because an xB with a good manual would be a fuckin blast.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Larrymer posted:

Every single time I'm amazed at the length you're able to talk about GM econoboxes anything. :allears:

STR post.

Edit: And I mean that in a nice way. The posts can be long, but it's usually decent content.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Beverly Cleavage posted:

STR post.

Edit: And I mean that in a nice way.

:same:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Where else can we read fine details about the clutch engagement of a long-forgotten American economy car with high mileage? Where, I ask? It's far more relevant to my life than anything in Motor Trend.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

angryrobots posted:

Where else can we read fine details about the clutch engagement of a long-forgotten American economy car with high mileage? Where, I ask? It's far more relevant to my life than anything in Motor Trend.

With zero sarcasm, same

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
STR is awesome and I've learned tons from his posts. Ditto Meatpimp.

Who btw should change his username back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

angryrobots posted:

Except I was talking about a Toyota. :colbert: