Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Yeah it's this. Acty Van HH5

Looks like whatever kit is on it adds the side rakes, side marker, front stuff. Also what looks like a whole new rear too, probably in the similar way the front is a whole piece.

http://www.calstage.jp/

New page, how about a full page screenshot of the linked site?

glyph fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, now I kinda want to import and LS swap one.

Good Lord that would be fun.

I love how they just slap fillers in the wheel openings to compensate for the higher suspension of the presumably heavier-duty chassis than it was designed with.

quote:

:getin::getin:

Hnnnnnng. Would be better is a 20B, but still HNNNNGG.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Omg that mazda is beautiful. If only it had a standard transmission?

Do drivers in Japan usually buy MT transmissions?

The JC Cosmo only came with an automatic, because it was a "personal luxury coupe."

edit:

glyph posted:

"Franch"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

glyph posted:

This is the best thing ever and thank you for finding it. Now I know what'll be parked next to the NSX in my dream garage :haw:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

I personally really like the second gen Toyota Soarers, might pick one up way later just to see what their like.

They are great GT cars, I had a '86 Turbo and liked it a lot. I preferred smaller/lighter cars to toss around tho.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

They are great GT cars, I had a '86 Turbo and liked it a lot. I preferred smaller/lighter cars to toss around tho.

I had a USDM SC300 with a manual for a bit that was pretty great, but the second gens look so much cooler. Probably a bit lighter I'd hope, especially if I could get the twin turbo version :hellyeah:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Check out the Mark II, Chaser, and Cresta. They came in manual form with a 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE and were probably produced quite a bit more. Very similar chassis between all three, along with the IS300.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
TT Soarers are up all the time, but 99% autos. I’d have already bought one I just don’t think there is any money to be made. They look like great cars and I’m tempted but I’m just trying to flip stuff.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
There are a lot of aftermarket body kits for kei vans. Probably most common is the VW bus one for the Sambar.

I saw a Jimny in traffic yesterday and now I want one :colbert: Prices look to be pretty dear though.

BlackMK4 posted:

Check out the Mark II, Chaser, and Cresta. They came in manual form with a 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE and were probably produced quite a bit more. Very similar chassis between all three, along with the IS300.

I had a poverty spec Mark II as my first Japan car, thing was smooth as butter on the highway. A couple times found myself accidentally doing 130kph.

There was one of those for sale near me that had been converted to 4WD :getin:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Waiting to hear tonight I’m ready to buy more cars got a Beat and a Sprinter and a Cappo wouldn’t mind getting all 3 tonight

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
It's not in Japan but look at this Cressida... Those seats look like the comfiest thing I've yet to sit on ever made.
http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0030-3431464/motor-vehiclesmotor-cycles/1985-toyota-cressida-glx-i-manual-sedan?spr=true

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Mahatma-Squid posted:

It's not in Japan but look at this Cressida... Those seats look like the comfiest thing I've yet to sit on ever made.
http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0030-3431464/motor-vehiclesmotor-cycles/1985-toyota-cressida-glx-i-manual-sedan?spr=true

I like how it looks like a tooted up version of my 89 camry inside. Those seats remind me of 70s buick seats, they look awesome and /comfy

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

I like how it looks like a tooted up version of my 89 camry inside. Those seats remind me of 70s buick seats, they look awesome and /comfy

The ones in the Century are soft crushed wool. They had a new one on display at Megaweb, and they are the comfiest seats I've ever sat in.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

Like everdave says most GTs are automatic. There aren't many Cosmos at all that show up, that's the 4th? Maybe? I've ever seen at auction since I started. Always gorgeous though.
I personally really like the second gen Toyota Soarers, might pick one up way later just to see what their like.

If you do you have to give a trip report. I know most GT cars are auto in the states but I figured it might be different in Japan.

Also it's especially sad because automatic transmission from that era were pretty mushy :(

I guess you could always swap it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There are apparently shops in Japan that will handle picking a car up from auction and doing maint/mods/manual swap before shipping it off to you.
Here is one https://www.facebook.com/Rasty-1544239612509804/
http://www.rasty.tv/

I'm headed back to Japan in April again next year, kinda tempted to message Power Vehicles and see if they will handle export of a car if I buy it from them. Would be cool to drive Ebisu with it and ship it back.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 22, 2018

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

64bit_Dophins posted:

If you do you have to give a trip report. I know most GT cars are auto in the states but I figured it might be different in Japan.

Also it's especially sad because automatic transmission from that era were pretty mushy :(

I guess you could always swap it?

There's no reason why the 5sp from the RX-7 wouldn't bolt up to the 20B in the Cosmos. If I were an insane person (and didn't have a family) I'd buy one and swap engines between an FD and Cosmos. 20B for the FD, 13B for the Cosmos.

Separate question for the experts. How difficult is it to sell imported RHD cars once you're done with them? The pull for an AZ-1 is strong and the inflated pricing doesn't scare me off too much but I'm more concerned about trying to sell it in a couple years when the hype has died down. Would I need to find another weirdo like me to buy it? Would an import dealer like Toprank or japaneseclassics buy it back if it's in good condition? I'd be more likely to buy one if I knew I wouldn't be stuck with it for an extended period of time.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

BlackMK4 posted:

There are apparently shops in Japan that will handle picking a car up from auction and doing maint/mods/manual swap before shipping it off to you.

Know of any that do work on Jimnys?

Also what is this kind of roof called, and does it help much with headroom? Any tall guys here tried both types?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha looks like an old Land Rover.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Separate question for the experts. How difficult is it to sell imported RHD cars once you're done with them? The pull for an AZ-1 is strong and the inflated pricing doesn't scare me off too much but I'm more concerned about trying to sell it in a couple years when the hype has died down. Would I need to find another weirdo like me to buy it? Would an import dealer like Toprank or japaneseclassics buy it back if it's in good condition? I'd be more likely to buy one if I knew I wouldn't be stuck with it for an extended period of time.

I can't see a future where the AZ-1 isn't always coveted like it is now. Less than 4500 made, started as a car they couldn't sell and went through most of it's life as a weird gimmick abused by people. Now that US legality has come around the price has shot up. Yeah it's a neat gimmick, but it's so specific, so unique and so many people in the US want one that however many are left of that 4500 there will never be enough. It might seem a bit tired to us ultra-enthusiasts but there are plenty of other enthusiasts who have never seen one and lots of enthusiasts that haven't even heard of them. The general public still gets googly-eyed over plain white kei trucks and those are almost literally a dime a dozen.
Absolutely nothing like the AZ-1 for just how specific it is. If you want a gullwing midengine turbo charged RWD kei car, you have the AZ-1 and that's it. Plus it's not a weird exotic that breaks all the time or is difficult to work on, it's just a weirdly-designed bog-standard kei car put together in a unique way.
So no you won't have any issue selling it later. Honda Beats have peaked and leveled off, Cappos are still in demand too but have also leveled off. AZ-1s seem to have leveled off but I'd be pretty surprised if they don't at least hold the value they currently have. Like trying to say A80 Supras or NSXs are going to go down in price after the hype has died down, I think we're way past hype and into "these will hold value until we are all dead" territory. I'd expect R32 Skylines to dip in price once we get R34s but even so the GTRs are probably where they are always going to be at a minimum. Too many people want so little that exist.

As for difficulty in the technicals for selling an import there are none. Once it goes through the legal import process it becomes a normal used car. Issues for Californians and maybe getting insurance depending, but legally it's just a car and you'd sell it like any other. I wouldn't count on an import dealer buying it back from you, margins are control over inventory are far nicer to deal with strictly through Japan than trying to reintegrate an already-here car. Then again I think the AZ-1 is special enough so maybe. Just go scope out Bring a Trailer for the amount of AZ-1s that have already, and continue to be, sold. Now if we have another 2008 economic collapse then sure it might be hard to sell it later rather than now :v:

Snowy posted:

Know of any that do work on Jimnys?

Also what is this kind of roof called, and does it help much with headroom? Any tall guys here tried both types?

I've only ever heard it referred to as 'high roof'

If I had to choose I'd go for the high roof version every time. These Jimnys feel kinda odd since the dashboard seems to be into your chin and the extra headroom (which is a lot compared to normal) makes up for it and just gives you a nicer place to be. Downside is you'd have to make a custom luggage rack if you want one as the OEM one from Suzuki doesn't fit the high roof.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm 6'2"ish and a normal roof SJ was fine for me.

Also, just found this at a convenience store:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

Look for a BookOff, they are like a four or five floor used book store. They always have stacks of cool magazines

You driven yet? :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 24, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

Listen, I would like scans of this please and thank you

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

KakerMix posted:

Downside is you'd have to make a custom luggage rack if you want one as the OEM one from Suzuki doesn't fit the high roof.

Was the high roof an OEM option?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit:nope

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowy posted:

Was the high roof an OEM option?

Yeah it's OEM, its just that Suzuki offered an aluminium rack as an option on Jimnys but it doesn't physically fit on the high roof models. Looks like Suzuki called it 'Panoramic Roof' though, what with the windows back there. At auction I'd guess about a 50-50 split between normal and high roofs, not enough of a thing to sway you away from a good looking low roof one, but if there were two of them that were identical besides one being a high roof, I'd go high roof. Unless you want the rack then it will only come on the normal roofs anyway.

Our low roof Jimny came with it, it clamps on the roof, the bubble in the high roof just means it can't fit.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 24, 2018

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Listen, I would like scans of this please and thank you

Same!!!! or some help with googling how to find this on amazon jp or something...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

You driven yet? :)
Been driving a fair bit, but only in keis at present, got the more interesting stuff lined up later this week when back down from Hokkaido. Currently ripping along the northern coastal road to Abashiri in a Toyota Pixis Space. 58bhp of non-turbo CVT fury.

Edit: yes, I know BookOff. They have other stores of the same ilk, like HobbyOff for games and models. The car parts equivalent is UpGarage.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 24, 2018

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
kicking rad jimny is up

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-blZl1l6hgLm0mR.htm

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

That is pretty good looking, hmm.

Note though that the mileage says 67,352*, means that it probably has 167,352 kms. Nothing to worry about, just to be aware.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I think Mat must have went to the USA this past week I didn't hear back on 3 cars I was interested in, but to be honest that was probably a good thing I was really not in good shape to buy. Will see about today.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I love this Jimny https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-sWPBWVWHdIkaLU.htm

I think I'm going to be ok when I finally go for one because I most likely won't be going after the most desirable models- I don't like 90's graphics and I like some of the crazy japanese mods.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowy posted:

I love this Jimny https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-sWPBWVWHdIkaLU.htm

I think I'm going to be ok when I finally go for one because I most likely won't be going after the most desirable models- I don't like 90's graphics and I like some of the crazy japanese mods.

First, don't ever talk to me and my extreme radical son ever again.

Second, you'll have your pick then because most of the ones out there will have the graphics removed and will be lifted with the hate-it-badly bumpers installed. See on the back of this one, how it has the OEM bumper removed? That means there is no place to put the license plate anymore. So, they drill directly into the rear door in 5 places. Two for the mounting of the aftermarket light on the center left there, plus a center hole to run the wiring for it. Next two holes to mount the license plate itself which covers up the 'Jimny' badge on the back mostly. That's fine just be aware that if you are anywhere with any sort of winter salty stuff you will want to make sure that the inner door panel is protected against the rust. You can easily get to the inside of the rear door, there are two panels held on by screws on the interior rear door panel.

Also prices seem to be about the same between nice original condition ones and nice modified condition ones.

On another note I just passed ~dealership training~ and the test itself was a joke. The material to get to the point of taking the test was not though, so there is that. I reckon by the end of this week I will be a real-deal operating used car dealer in the state of Florida.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

KakerMix posted:

First, don't ever talk to me and my extreme radical son ever again.

Second, you'll have your pick then because most of the ones out there will have the graphics removed and will be lifted with the hate-it-badly bumpers installed. See on the back of this one, how it has the OEM bumper removed? That means there is no place to put the license plate anymore. So, they drill directly into the rear door in 5 places. Two for the mounting of the aftermarket light on the center left there, plus a center hole to run the wiring for it. Next two holes to mount the license plate itself which covers up the 'Jimny' badge on the back mostly. That's fine just be aware that if you are anywhere with any sort of winter salty stuff you will want to make sure that the inner door panel is protected against the rust. You can easily get to the inside of the rear door, there are two panels held on by screws on the interior rear door panel.
As far as mods go that bumper isn't high on my list, but if it's not too hard to winterize the holes as you say, then it's not so bad. I may be a heathen but I don't mind covering badges.

quote:

Also prices seem to be about the same between nice original condition ones and nice modified condition ones.

That's cool, because then I get some legit japanese mods for free!

quote:

On another note I just passed ~dealership training~ and the test itself was a joke. The material to get to the point of taking the test was not though, so there is that. I reckon by the end of this week I will be a real-deal operating used car dealer in the state of Florida.

Congrats!!! Hope I get to stop by sometime, and good luck with the biz! And thanks for the great thread :kimchi:

Snowy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 25, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Them's some goddamn pizza cutters right there

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Winter tyre season approaching, so no performance tyres that I can see at present! Sorry KakerMix!

Edit: Found the kei pickup accessories:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 25, 2018

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Winter tyre season approaching, so no performance tyres that I can see at present! Sorry KakerMix!

yellowhat never had anything decent even coming into spring, upgarage always did though

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Man tires are pricey in Japan.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

SquirrelGrip posted:

yellowhat never had anything decent even coming into spring, upgarage always did though

What's upgarage? ( :v: )

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man tires are pricey in Japan.
Seems not unreasonable to me, probably about the same as the UK.

The UpGarage we went to the other day didn't have a huge selection of 13" tyres, managed to get a set of wheel nuts for the Daihatsu though.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Did you add/ask for this or...?

Foreign person is driving

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

:negative:

I've got some cheapo Amazon specials on the way, if they suck then they are 38 bucks a pop so whateva. I'm more concerned with getting the tires to stop rubbing.

Your pictures really make me want to go visit Japan.

EDIT

Pretty nice looking second-gen turbo diesel Hilux Surf is up in about 20~ hours from this posting.

DOUBLE EDIT

Tiny-rear end Rugger port pix are in.

This right here is a brand-new truck imho. Think I might re-paint the wheels to be the same gold/bronze that the decals are colored, that would look pretty sharp with some new meaty white lettered tires.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 25, 2018