Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Wastrel_ posted:

Hilariously, for a short time after their major buff, LMGs were concealable enough to place on crit-dodge builds. I didn't get a chance to try that out, but by all accounts it was absolutely gamebreaking and Overkill had to introduce a special patch just to fix it. The consequence is that all LMGs now only have 1 concealment. You can still use Unseen Strike to get crits but that costs a lot more skillpoints and is less reliable because it's dependent on you not taking damage - which with 108 enemies on the map in DS is challenging to achieve, to say the least.

You can still do it with the RPK and a max concealment Bernetti or Gruber if you ace optical illusions. You'll just barely meet the threshold for maximum crit chance but of course you'd be giving up your entire secondary slot for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
graze turns the thanatos into the thanos

one little snap, half the cops on the map die.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

You can still do it with the RPK and a max concealment Bernetti or Gruber if you ace optical illusions. You'll just barely meet the threshold for maximum crit chance but of course you'd be giving up your entire secondary slot for it.

Last time I checked, a max concealment Gruber is more then enough to make the Cop Wizard cry for his lost minions, since the thing reaches all the right breakpoints and has a buttload of ammo.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Did you last use the Gruber in 2014?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I use a saw, gruber kurz, ECM feedback, and yakuza build for one down death sentence.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

Did you last use the Gruber in 2014?

I might have been using one I put together in 2014 cause the thing is so good :v:

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

EorayMel posted:

I use a saw, gruber kurz, ECM feedback, and yakuza build for one down death sentence.
Yeah, Jokers can really break the game if the objective is to just wait around for a long time.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Bernetti can hit the highest concealment value in the game with Aced Optical Illusions, which is 34. I didn't think Gruber could as well. Regardless, maybe I'll make an attempt at creating this build.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Akimbo Stryk has pretty comical DPS, but ammo can be a problem if your accuracy isn’t great. What’s a good secondary? I’ve been running the 5/7 for shield killing but I’m not sure if the 20% chance to stagger with a stryk would do that just as well. Maybe the White Streak for mid damage but better ammo?

I’m kind of wondering if I should just stick with rapid firing Interceptors since they have almost as much ammo in the magazine and don’t run out nearly as fast.

The Loco and Raven combo still seems pretty good for Doomguy type action, at least on OK. Is that a bad idea for Mayhem or higher? I know the auto shotguns are ridiculous, but it’s definitely a very different play style than pump actions.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

My go-to secondary is a Judge loaded with HE. It synergizes with all those shotgun skills, is somehow accurate enough for killing most snipers, works well against dozer faceplates, shields, Winters, and clears rooms very quickly when needed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is the Raven an adequate substitute for the Loco? I always liked the Loco for its higher damage and spread, but if I put some accuracy nerfing accessories on the Raven it might be about the same, I’m wondering about breakpoints.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The raven always just *felt* wrong to me, when I tried using it as a loco substitute. But then, the judge always felt SUPER wrong to me and I just can't use it at all, despite knowing how popular it is, and how clearly lots of other people use it just fine, so I know it's not, like, inherently busted or anything.

The raven only felt a little wrong by comparison, though, so...give it a try and see how it feels to you? All you can really do for any weapon.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

EorayMel posted:

What melee item

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

swims posted:

What melee item

The Ding Dong Breaching Tool

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Akimbo Stryk has pretty comical DPS, but ammo can be a problem if your accuracy isn’t great. What’s a good secondary? I’ve been running the 5/7 for shield killing but I’m not sure if the 20% chance to stagger with a stryk would do that just as well. Maybe the White Streak for mid damage but better ammo?

I’m kind of wondering if I should just stick with rapid firing Interceptors since they have almost as much ammo in the magazine and don’t run out nearly as fast.

The Loco and Raven combo still seems pretty good for Doomguy type action, at least on OK. Is that a bad idea for Mayhem or higher? I know the auto shotguns are ridiculous, but it’s definitely a very different play style than pump actions.

The Raven's good. I really recommend going auto or semi-auto with shotguns as they are at present though. The ammo pickup's good enough to support that and there's a lot of cops so autofire 000 (through a duckbill, ideally) mashes lots of heads real fast.

Honestly for anti-shield work, if you're doing akimbo handguns you're probably wearing an HBV at most and thus can get away with not having an anti-shield weapon for lower difficulties like overkill & mayhem. You're fast enough to run the hell around them, everyone else has something to blap shields with, etc etc.

For Akimbo, if you insist on not going akimbo autoshotguns, yeah I similarly found handguns more useful than akimbo smgs, both before and after the new reality of all smgs & handguns being akimboable. Headshots do plenty of damage even out of akimbo chimano compacts, the ammo pickup's acceptable with aced fully loaded on akimbos that aren't absurd handcannons like deagles. As you said, anything full auto akimbo is pretty wasteful against anything but dozers. Akimbo handguns also means you can hit w/e breakpoints easily for conceal for crits/dodge, whereas plenty of the smgs are way too big for that.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
So I made a Crit RPK build with Body Expertise and Anarchist as a perk deck. As expected it wrecks everything at close quarters but nothing further than about 50m. Went down a lot when using it, as expected, but double full medic bags give a lot of room for downs. Silenced Bernetti is largely crap, again as expected but I did kill a cloaker with a crit headshot from it, which was unexpected to say the least. I have way better builds on DS so I don't expect to use this much.

Rating: 7/10 - the fartgun lives but only as a gimmick build.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Trip report on the weekly holdout, Watchdogs 2:
  • Much closer to feature complete compared with some of the other holdouts, though I think a bunch of scripted events are still not activated. The line of sight work is much fairer.
  • There are three shutter doors facing the docks (and most of the closest spawnpoints, where a lot of the killing is). At the start, one door will be open. The second will open on wave 4, and the third will open on wave 7. After this point, the wall might as well not be there. Do not put deployables in the corners of that side of the warehouse, it basically falls out of use at that point.
  • The dark lighting exacerbates the existing problems with enemy recognition since the big uniforms update. Zeal marksmen will be almost unrecognizeable.
  • Still substantially fairer/easier than the others.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 8, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

chairface posted:

The Raven's good. I really recommend going auto or semi-auto with shotguns as they are at present though. The ammo pickup's good enough to support that and there's a lot of cops so autofire 000 (through a duckbill, ideally) mashes lots of heads real fast.

Honestly for anti-shield work, if you're doing akimbo handguns you're probably wearing an HBV at most and thus can get away with not having an anti-shield weapon for lower difficulties like overkill & mayhem. You're fast enough to run the hell around them, everyone else has something to blap shields with, etc etc.

For Akimbo, if you insist on not going akimbo autoshotguns, yeah I similarly found handguns more useful than akimbo smgs, both before and after the new reality of all smgs & handguns being akimboable. Headshots do plenty of damage even out of akimbo chimano compacts, the ammo pickup's acceptable with aced fully loaded on akimbos that aren't absurd handcannons like deagles. As you said, anything full auto akimbo is pretty wasteful against anything but dozers. Akimbo handguns also means you can hit w/e breakpoints easily for conceal for crits/dodge, whereas plenty of the smgs are way too big for that.

The Stryks also trigger (heh) the Trigger happy 120% boost as far as I can tell, which is why I went with them rather than SMGs. I got them up to high 80s - low 90s accuracy and stability using the Jungle Ninja suppressor and the accuracy/stability silencer skill. They aren’t too bad on ammo most of the time since I tapfire, but if I have to hose down a hallway a few times it can start to get a bit low.

I think I got the White Streak up to 100/100, I’ll try that for fun. That’s at least an extra 32 rounds or something like that. I just got the ultimate edition so I’ll have to compare and contrast with the Baby Deagles, although the White Streak definitely looks cooler.

I’ll gently caress around with autoshotguns as well, but I really need to name and organize my load outs and skill sets so I can remember what’s what. I have something that looks like it was going to be a crit Izhma and HE street sweeper 2 years ago. That was before the Goliaths and Grimms existed.

For autoshotguns you’re generally going to want to do frenzerker and Overkill, right? So you can beef up the damage a lot? I’m iffy on the duckbill, having the round pattern means even if I’m a bit low or high on browns they still get headshot.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Discendo Vox posted:

Trip report on the weekly holdout, Watchdogs 2:
  • Much closer to feature complete compared with some of the other holdouts, though I think a bunch of scripted events are still not activated. The line of sight work is much fairer.
  • There are three shutter doors facing the docks (and most of the closest spawnpoints, where a lot of the killing is). At the start, one door will be open. The second will open on wave 4, and the third will open on wave 7. After this point, the wall might as well not be there. Do not put deployables in the corners of that side of the warehouse, it basically falls out of use at that point.
  • The dark lighting exacerbates the existing problems with enemy recognition since the big uniforms update. Zeal marksmen will be almost unrecognizeable.
  • Still substantially fairer/easier than the others.

FWB has the best layout. It was only bad because of the Winters Shields modifier.

Watchdogs sucks. No cover, and enemies come from every direction. The only other competition for worst one is Heat Street.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Weekly holdout?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

A new, completely and utterly unfair game mode where you defend a single hostage in the open most spot imaginable from a series of cops whose strength ranges from "Overkill, honest" to "You thought Death Sentence was bad?". There are nine waves and between each one you can either cash out or wait for the next shitstorm. By wave 8, you will absolutely be standing next to the hostage, just eating downs and holding the trigger down in the hope that you're at least doing enough to keep the cops from releasing them.

Last week's was incredibly bad because all shields were Winters shields, except none of them counted to the shield limit so about 50% of the enemies were Winters shields. By Wave 9, they have 21,000 health.

This is how you get the new mega masks and the other masks that absolutely scream their being intended for the most recent heist.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What’s a good minimalist modded HUD? I’d like a buff / cooldown timer and a timer for how much longer an action will take. Something that tells me how much extra damage I’m actually getting from Frenzy would be nice too.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What's the deal with copshooting

I hear there's a new difficulty and it's bad?

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 9, 2018

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dr Cheeto posted:

You picked a good time to quit.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Dr Cheeto posted:

You heard correctly

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The Stryks also trigger (heh) the Trigger happy 120% boost as far as I can tell, which is why I went with them rather than SMGs. I got them up to high 80s - low 90s accuracy and stability using the Jungle Ninja suppressor and the accuracy/stability silencer skill. They aren’t too bad on ammo most of the time since I tapfire, but if I have to hose down a hallway a few times it can start to get a bit low.

I think I got the White Streak up to 100/100, I’ll try that for fun. That’s at least an extra 32 rounds or something like that. I just got the ultimate edition so I’ll have to compare and contrast with the Baby Deagles, although the White Streak definitely looks cooler.

I’ll gently caress around with autoshotguns as well, but I really need to name and organize my load outs and skill sets so I can remember what’s what. I have something that looks like it was going to be a crit Izhma and HE street sweeper 2 years ago. That was before the Goliaths and Grimms existed.

For autoshotguns you’re generally going to want to do frenzerker and Overkill, right? So you can beef up the damage a lot? I’m iffy on the duckbill, having the round pattern means even if I’m a bit low or high on browns they still get headshot.

Honestly I find Overkill w/ 000 shot ample enough damage without frenzerking. The thing with a full-auto shotgun is that you're less concerned with one-hit kills. Also the duckbill's selling point is that if you can keep the thing at head level the horizontal spread means more dudes eat headshots at a go. It takes minimal adjustment to develop "never aim low" and pays off a lot, particularly with autoshotguns.

For handguns the old 100/100 counter-sniper cannon handguns have sadly fallen out of favor. The 5/7 largely does their job while punching through shields. RIP white streak/deagle/baby deagle. :(

Your old critz Izhma/HE Street Sweeper build's probably still fine honestly. Izhma's still the concealable autoshotgun of choice, and the loco and street sweeper can hit the conceal numbers you need. For specialty payloads like HE/slugs the higher damage/lower RoF shotguns are fine.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I still think its loving hilarious that Slug shotguns are useless because their piercing damage gets reduced by 75%, but the 5/7 pistol punches through shields just fine :haw: There is no reason to use them over HE or DB.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Is there a recommended/essential mod list? I haven't tried modding Payday 2 before, but I thought something like WolfHUD or whatever might help to make things a bit easier. Can you just install BLT, and then download/install mods via that?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

chairface posted:

Honestly I find Overkill w/ 000 shot ample enough damage without frenzerking. The thing with a full-auto shotgun is that you're less concerned with one-hit kills. Also the duckbill's selling point is that if you can keep the thing at head level the horizontal spread means more dudes eat headshots at a go. It takes minimal adjustment to develop "never aim low" and pays off a lot, particularly with autoshotguns.

For handguns the old 100/100 counter-sniper cannon handguns have sadly fallen out of favor. The 5/7 largely does their job while punching through shields. RIP white streak/deagle/baby deagle. :(

Your old critz Izhma/HE Street Sweeper build's probably still fine honestly. Izhma's still the concealable autoshotgun of choice, and the loco and street sweeper can hit the conceal numbers you need. For specialty payloads like HE/slugs the higher damage/lower RoF shotguns are fine.

Is Dragon's Breath strictly worse on high damage / low ROF shotguns? According to the wiki the fire does flat damage, so the higher damage wouldn't really matter when fire is the main source of damage. They also can't do headshot damage so it seems like they wouldn't be good for anything relying on Bullseye.

E: What's a good Sniper Rifle build? It seems like a semi-auto would be good for maximizing the effect of Graze, but it's hard to get good stability on them, and since a crit build seems ideal you would also need to get good concealment, which makes stability even harder to find. Seems like the Desert Fox might be best, but then you're limiting yourself to 5 rounds and a relatively slow RoF. Also not sure what secondary to use, maybe the drum magazine Russian one for higher total ammo? RoF doesn't seem like it would be an issue since you would probably want to lock it on semi-auto for the Marksman skills.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 10, 2018

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yes, you want to use Dragonsbreath on anything with low damage and plenty of ammo since the damage over time is a flat amount and the low damage/high ammo shotguns have absurdly high pickup at the moment.

As far as snipers go they're all decentish depending on what you want. The Repeater/Rattlesnake are the best all around.

You don't need to lock anything to single fire to take advantage of related skills; just be sure that you have the gun set to single fire.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does the DOT stack? Do you do a full armor build for those sniper riles since they don’t have any concealment?

E: Maybe frenzerker anarchist with an SMG for backup? CZ805 can hit 100/100 with 104 damage or so without needing the silencer accuracy/stability skill. A pistol could also do 100/100, but wouldn’t benefit from mastermind skills and anything with a decent amount of ammo won’t hit anywhere near that amount of damage. Not sure about ammo pickup on the 805 though.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 11, 2018

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does the DOT stack? Do you do a full armor build for those sniper riles since they don’t have any concealment?

E: Maybe frenzerker anarchist with an SMG for backup? CZ805 can hit 100/100 with 104 damage or so without needing the silencer accuracy/stability skill. A pistol could also do 100/100, but wouldn’t benefit from mastermind skills and anything with a decent amount of ammo won’t hit anywhere near that amount of damage. Not sure about ammo pickup on the 805 though.

Sooo the idea with Dragon's Breath rounds isn't doing damage/getting kills, although that's nice too. The point of DB rounds is that cops who are on fire do a "complain about being on fire" dance instead of shooting back at you & your teammates. As has been mentioned, the fire damage's constant so spray them out of as low-damage/high-RoF a weapon as possible. The single secondary grimm is a good DB platform.

If you're gonna do a sniper build with a SMG secondary, my suggestion's the UZI or even Micro-UZI. Sure the 805 and Krink can hit absurd numbers but you've got a sniper rifle for stuff that's far away. The UZI family can get you 80ish accuracy easily enough which is plenty for close-range dakka, while enjoying very high ammo pickup (which you'll need since your primary is a sniper rifle and sucks rear end on ammo efficiency.)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

That's why you take the skill literally called "Ammo Efficiency" for your sniper rifles :human being:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’ll look at the Uzi, I still have one from back in the day where it was pretty much the only SMG to be able to come close to max accuracy and stability while hitting the 40 damage breakpoint (when that was one that mattered). I’ve been going for high damage so I only tend to need one shot for anything but a dozer on OK, but that’s probably inefficient. I might also be focusing more than I should on using the SMG on single fire for the Mastermind skills.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Anyone know how to make the assault ticker display different text?
I honestly just want a gif of it with my own input there, but there doesn't seem to be any easy way to do it from looking at the mods, and I fear breaking things horribly for a dumb joke.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Is there a recommended/essential mod list? I haven't tried modding Payday 2 before, but I thought something like WolfHUD or whatever might help to make things a bit easier. Can you just install BLT, and then download/install mods via that?

You now want to install "SuperBLT", which basically supersedes all BLT functions and has more robust automatic updating. After that you download mods and drop them in the "mods" folder in the game directory (except custom heists, which go in "Maps"). Very old mods may be labeled as "Mod overrides" mods, which use a different, older, messier approach to overwriting assets. I recommend not using them. Modern mods can be enabled and disabled, updated, etc from the options interface on the main menu, and from a sort of popup infobox on the lower left in the main menu.

always back up your save file before using mods. PD2 has a lot of redundancies and backups, but better safe than sorry. Details on how to do that are here. You don't have to be quite as rigorous as that guide suggests, but definitely do toss a copy of your savefiles into another folder somewhere before you dive in.

What mods to use? Opinion is pretty divided, and there's no universally accepted mod. WolfHUD and PocoHUD are both very popular (note that you want to get the version of PocoHUD being updated by Andole here. Iamgoofball and I have Crackdown of course, but that's really an endgame fix thing, and it doesn't balance the whole game...yet.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
No idea if pc has the same "feature" but on console if you change profile between days you can't use assets. I.e on Election Day if you use a ecm build on day one and then change profile for loud Day 2 the ammo bags can be bought but won't spawn. Fixing that would be a good mod.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

swims posted:

No idea if pc has the same "feature" but on console if you change profile between days you can't use assets. I.e on Election Day if you use a ecm build on day one and then change profile for loud Day 2 the ammo bags can be bought but won't spawn. Fixing that would be a good mod.

Yeah that happens on PC too. It's mostly a pain on Firestarter since day 1's obligatory loud and days 2 & 3 are stealthable.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

:siren: Boiling Point has a new medic model. Finally. Also some patchnotes nobody cares about :siren:

quote:

General

Team-AI will now focus on resurrecting players that are downed
Crime Spree lobbies will now correctly display the ongoing status on Crimenet
Fixed that all armors are shown correctly when having special outfits
Lowered the reflection on Sangres eyes
Fixed a clipping issue on Bonnie's first person model when playing on Shacklethorne Auction
Fixed an issue with capitalization on the "In Briefing" message while hovering over a player's lobby
Slight texture changes on the Zeal Taser

Trophies & Achievements

Fixed an issue with the "Who's there?" trophy not counting the Shacklethorne Auction heist
Fixed a typo on the Blood Diamond achievement
Fixed several typos on the Heavy Metal achievement

Masks

Fixed a pattern bug with customization of Sangres and Sangres Begins masks
Fixed a clipping issue with Jacket wearing The Specialist mask
Fixed a clipping issue with Jacket wearing the Oni mask

Weapons
Tweaked the animation on the Signature Submachine Gun, Akimbo Signature SMG and the Hackaton melee weapon
Tweaked the Continental logotype on the Contractor .308 Sniper Rifle

Levels
Fixed a typo on the Big Time storyline description
Fixed an issue on the Shacklethorne Auction heist where you would get the “turn power back on” objective, even if you hadn't turned it off
Tweaked collision on Joy’s van
No more raindrop effects on the screen when playing Green Bridge
Added collision on top of some pipes in the kitchen of Safe House Raid to prevent an exploit where enemies couldn’t target the player

Holdout

Players now fail on Holdout as soon as the hostage release animation has been completed
Fixed a client crash when the host chooses a regular heist contract in Crimenet from a Holdout lobby
VR

Fixed an issue where the players vision could fade to black in VR if they were seated in a vehicle on a slope
Resolved an issue where the player incorrectly would equip Akimbo weapons while entering a vehicle in VR
Replaced the placeholder icons for Joy's Hackaton melee weapon and the Signature Akimbo/SMG version in VR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

I think the Shacklethorne speedrunners are more interested in:

quote:

Fixed an issue on the Shacklethorne Auction heist where you would get the “turn power back on” objective, even if you hadn't turned it off