Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Got through the first real dungeon in CrossCode. Man, there were quite some puzzles in there. Had to think about many of them for a minute or two.

Ice mechanics though. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
CrossCode is cool, I will play every sci fi game at least once. Except Star Ocean.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Wilbell is in all of them, but I think she's the only one. There is a Linca in Shallie but it is a different, far less cool Linca

Keith comes back in Shallie too, but he mostly stands around and calls the Shallies idiots

yeah the only one id describe as having a full arc through the whole trilogy is wilbell but to be fair its a really, really good arc. play as green shallie if you wanna see it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

All these Romancing SaGa remasters popping up and I'm just here waiting for a SaGa Frontier Remaster with completed content. :smith:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Chaotic Flame posted:

All these Romancing SaGa remasters popping up and I'm just here waiting for a SaGa Frontier Remaster with completed content. :smith:

If they didn't touch up SoM in the remake, they are absolutely not gonna polish up a SaGa.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Especially since the "cut content" in SaGa Frontier included, like, an FPS section and an investigation mechanic and a bunch of other insane nonsense

Selane
May 19, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Wilbell is in all of them, but I think she's the only one. There is a Linca in Shallie but it is a different, far less cool Linca

Keith comes back in Shallie too, but he mostly stands around and calls the Shallies idiots
What the hell was even going on with Linca, anyway. Wasn't there some whole thing where there's a bunch of different Lincas and no one's sure if they're sisters or clones or something? I kind of forgot.

But yeah, Ayesha is the only one with cool, awkward robo-Linca if I remember correctly.

Dehry posted:

E: Also from the Nelke trailers it appears Firis and Viorate (Violet) are paired off for some comedic scenes. Viorate really likes carrots and Firis hates all vegetables.
With Nelke I don't mind them doing all the crossover stuff(I appreciate the fact that the Atelier series is one of the few places where you get to see different protagonists actually acknowledge each other), but with how heavily they are leaning on it and how stripped down the gameplay looks to be, it almost feels like they could have just made it an anime or something and used the development time for something else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Selane posted:

What the hell was even going on with Linca, anyway. Wasn't there some whole thing where there's a bunch of different Lincas and no one's sure if they're sisters or clones or something? I kind of forgot.

But yeah, Ayesha is the only one with cool, awkward robo-Linca if I remember correctly.
Ayesha and Escha & Logy have the same Linca, the translation of Escha & Logy just completely and utterly hosed up her character from the ground up. She's written basically the same way in Japanese and if you listen to her Japanese voice clips they're basically the same. The idea was cool robo Linca was slowly gaining emotions and learning to connect with other people, but Escha and Logy's TL just didn't give the VA any direction at all and translated her dialogue poorly. So she comes across as a completely different character.

The Linca in Shallie is a different Linca. It's a mildly confusing subplot but it all tracks in Japanese, the translations are just garbage. I forget what game this is in, but They were all robot clones made by some underground civilization, which is why they all have the same name. They wound up escaping and wandering the world and going their separate ways.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 23, 2018

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Linca's thing is explained between Eschalogy and Shallie, though it's in Shallie where the subplot is resolved.

I never really realized the first Linca was written differently due to translation between Ayesha and Eschalogy, maybe because she was still hanging on to Marion and had all the personality quirks that I knew it was the same one. I remember being disappointed the Shallie one is different (and just an NPC).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ayesha's translation has seemed to be mostly okay. Like the localization you get if you have a competent but not incredible editor. Lots of "can't be helped" and "do my best" and "splendid" but all the characters have distinct voices and regina aside I like the voice acting and it's just fun to listen to wilbell and linca

I am glad to hear wilbell has a good arc because she's my favorite. When I first played E&L I stopped after finishing the main plot, thinking the game was basically over, so i probably didn't see the end of her stuff. Might still end up skipping straight to shallie though I dunno. Still have 5 months to scurry around finishing friendship events in ayesha first

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ayesha had a different translation team than Shallie or E+L.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ayesha was right after Gust was merged into Koei Tecmo. NISA localized the game but Koei Tecmo distributed it themselves. The big names on the translation project like Jack Niida left NISA and formed actiil, which is credited through Atelier Firis (and Blue Reflection.) Little else changed when examining the credits. They even kept using the same dubbing company.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Chaotic Flame posted:

What exactly is remastered in RS3, I wonder. Because RS3 has probably the best sound design and sprite work to grace the SNES, maybe tied with SD3. If you alter either of those things, you are left with just a mediocre game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

there is a lot of cool stuff about saga besides the spritework!!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah but the rest of saga is insane :psyduck: mechanics and only some of us are into that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't really care that much about learning the mechanics of saga but i like their writing sometimes

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr6UsqiWs70

Compile Heart's main Tokyo Game Show event will be on the Dengeki stream about an hour and a half from now. (1:30am Eastern) They're going to show off Brave Neptune, the Falcom colaboration, and Arc of Alchemist. There's some mention of their disavowed virtual youtuber showing up that could be a new game of some sort.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Man every dialogue in TWEWY with Joshua is expressly designed to make the player want to tell him to gently caress off. I had forgotten just how much of an rear end in a top hat he is since I haven't played it for so long.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah it's a great followup to the prior events.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

chumbler posted:

Man every dialogue in TWEWY with Joshua is expressly designed to make the player want to tell him to gently caress off. I had forgotten just how much of an rear end in a top hat he is since I haven't played it for so long.

it's also whiplash going from Shiki's patient and empathetic personality to Lord High Smuggerson

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Did they fix Jimmy and the pulsating mass so that it doesnt lag the gently caress out in battle

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Libluini posted:

Try GameStop. Coven isn't supposed to be out here until the 30th, but my local GameStop didn't give a gently caress about this and had it lying around.

Or try digital, apparently the game was officially out on 21st already in Nintendo's E-Shop.

Oh when I said "here" I meant Australia, where GameStop doesn't exist :v: Thanks anyway! Even on local eShop it hasn't been released.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh, I'm not sure if this is an issue with any other versions of Labyrinth of Refrain, but in the PC version there's a huge stuttering issues. I figured out what's causing them though, it's the game struggling to load the voices. So, if you just go to the settings and turn the in-battle voices off, the stuttering totally stops!

e: also another fun part about this game: there are set item drops of set rarity, but modifiers are random. So, for example, there's a guaranteed Legendary armor drop in the first zone, that will have 90~ defense, which is insanely powerful. If you feel like savescumming though, you could possibly get an Imperial armor piece that is also Legendary quality, which has about five HUNDRED defense.

The PC release had a broken update that caused the battle voice stuttering, but was hotfixed with a rollback patch an hour after launch. Build 3132222 is the one that's stable and working without issue.

The copy that's circulating is the broken build. :wink:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Did they fix Jimmy and the pulsating mass so that it doesnt lag the gently caress out in battle

I get lag on the overworld but not in combat

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This Rosatempus area in Labyrinth of Refrain is slowly killing my will to live.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
trying to convince myself to finish Elminage Original and maaaybe Wiz 8 before I buy Labyrinth of Refrain but, it's hard

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Is Elminage Original actually good? Looks interesting, but reviews are mixed (and largely nonexistent)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Well, it's the first Wiz-like game I've ever played, I like it but I don't know how devotees of the genre would feel. It's by the people who made the Wizardry Empire series and it's similarly close to the old formula, plus a couple new classes. There's no skill trees or stat investing or whatever you just pick a class and level them, cleric/mage/alchemist get all their spells by level 14, hybrids get them slower, all classes get a set of passives (and thief gets steal) at two different level breakpoints, you can multiclass but only for spells/hp gains. Solo classing without changing alignment gets you access to a special gear set.

I would say a lot of the passives seem spicier to me than their Wiz counterparts, like Sam gets counterattacks instead of lightning strike which is a cooler class fantasy to me. Brawler gets a chance to do a combo that also lowers an enemy's magic resist for a turn. One of the new classes is Shaman (shrine maiden in Japanese) which gets "charm" weapons they can equip in any of their equipment slots, for something like 8 attacks a turn if you wanna be really glassy, and double damage to thematically appropriate enemy types. One of the fun things to me is that, unlike Valkyrie which is properly gender locked, male characters can become Shamans but equipping their gear curses them. There's a race in the game, Devilish, whose gimmick is being immune to curses. So you can mechanically roleplay a trans demon shrine maiden. Unfortunately compared to the fighter class I started my eventual shrine maiden off in, gear choices in the main game seem to suck for them. I finally got impatient and class changed her which might bite me in the rear end since there's a really broken spear you can steal off the final boss apparently.

Oh also thief can forcibly disarm weapons and armor off anything in the game, including "natural" (i.e. body part) weapons. So my Brawler is currently dual wielding a "gaping maw" I stole off a giant lizard that occassionally sucks things into the earth (instakill %) and a harpy's claws.
The big gimmick is you get a big list of dungeons that are all accessible from the start, and a quest to find six magical macguffins that are scattered randomly throughout them. If you don't want to tediously map and search every space of every dungeon then you locate them by getting fame points from completing quests and putting them in your magical macguffin compass. It takes a pretty small minority of the total quests in the game to find all the macguffins, which is great because some of them seem like a pain in the rear end. These let you into the final dungeon, which I'm currently doing, and there's a big post game grind dungeon as well.

One caveat is, I came back to the game recently after a long break from playing games, and decided I'd grind out all the multiclass spells on my casters before tackling the rest of the game, by killing infinitely respawning demons in a couple hour sessions, which I thought would decently prepare me for the rest of the game and at most keep me from getting oneshot for a few dungeons. Anyway turns out, I was able to skip right to the penultimate dungeon after this. However, I still didn't even have my final passive for Samurai (counterattacks.) This leads me to believe a decent amount of the meat of the game is in the post game, or there's just not enough of a difficulty spike in the normal game progression (maybe both.) I've still clocked 40 hours so far but you might want to avoid grinding too hard core if you don't want to skip most of the game.

So yeah uhhhh, decide how much of that sounds good/bad to you. Also Elminage Gothic, the much later iteration of the series also on Steam, is apparently a more typical linear dungeon crawl but also longer and better designed, so consider getting that instead.

e; oh my one big complaint is a lot of the dungeon design is really nonsensical. Like there's tons of just, empty rooms and closets that exist for no purpose except having a door with a static ambush behind it. There's some really cool dungeon gimmicks still but... yeah.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'd describe the gameplay loop as explore dungeon > get unID'ed items off mobs > warp back to town when your limited inventory slots fill up, ID items and sometimes you get something good, (similar will I get a good item appeal to stealing from every new monster you encounter) > warp back to last explored spot in dungeon, passively level as this is going on. It's really snappy and good at this, if it's something that you're into.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

That sounds really fun, actually. Think I'll pick it up—$8 isn't that much!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Original is a nonlinear Wizardry and Gothic is a linear Wizardry

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Motto posted:

Yeah it's a great followup to the prior events.

It even translates into the gameplay, when you go from Shiki's very easy "just mash a direction and get a finisher with a shitload of invincibility frames" to Joshua's "navigate this complicated combo map if you want to do any damage at all, also no invincibility ever." It all just adds to how much you hate Joshua, which is exactly how Neku feels.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chaotic Flame posted:

After the mobile remakes of FF 5-6 and the SoM remaster I don't want SE touching SaGa Frontier because I shudder to think of how badly they''ll gently caress everything up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cheap Trick posted:

Oh when I said "here" I meant Australia, where GameStop doesn't exist :v: Thanks anyway! Even on local eShop it hasn't been released.

poo poo man, I'm so sorry. I assumed if GameStop has made it to Germany, it surely has to be everywhere by now. Seems like I was wrong, oops.

Broken Cog posted:

This Rosatempus area in Labyrinth of Refrain is slowly killing my will to live.

I'm still in the beginning area, but I already managed multiple total party wipes. Giving me a tool to break down walls turned out to be a bad idea, there's so much deadly stuff hidden behind walls even in the first few floors it's incredible. And of course I had to walk into multiple holes, too.

My worst death was breaking open a wall somewhere on the first floor and walking into a hidden area full of monsters capable of one-shotting my puppets. The second worst was when I came to this weird hole in the south-west of floor 2 and just had to jump. I fell several floors, which killed and crippled half my group. Then the rest was finished when I couldn't walk them past the strong monsters hunting down there.

But considering the intro already started with a full party wipe, I feel this is just appropriate. :v:

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Man, I can't find a dedicated thread for Shadowrun Returns, was it just not a hit with goons?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DreadCthulhu posted:

Man, I can't find a dedicated thread for Shadowrun Returns, was it just not a hit with goons?

It's a 5 year old kickstarter game

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I tried SMT2 on Japanese PS Classics and man this is a game dying to be played on an SNES emulator with fast forward. The pacing of every little thing is glacial. I can’t imagine playing an entire game that slow.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

DreadCthulhu posted:

We had individual threads for each game when they came out but the most recent one was 3 years ago

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

fun elminage original fact: teleporter traps have a chance to instantly kill your entire loving party by teleporting you into a wall

this game doesn't gently caress around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Elephant Parade posted:

fun elminage original fact: teleporter traps have a chance to instantly kill your entire loving party by teleporting you into a wall

this game doesn't gently caress around
apparently getting telegibbed is a permakill, too :laffo: glad I didn't save