Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

howe_sam posted:

Is that the show where either the Bravestarr or Sherlock Holmes falls through a time vortex? Because that's literally the only thing I think I remember about that show.

i don't think i ever actually watched an episode but i somewhat remember the commercials. sherlock falling through a time vortex also rings a bell but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century was a bomb rear end show

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

esperterra posted:

Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century was a bomb rear end show

from imdb: "A defrosted Holmes teams with a robotic Watson and a female Inspector Lestrade to stop the criminal rampage of Moriarty's clone."

i never saw it so i have no idea, maybe it was really good but that premise makes me laugh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It was good for a kids show, tbh I haven't seen it in so long it may well be trash lmao

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That should be the premise of season 8 of Elementary.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

esperterra posted:

It was good for a kids show, tbh I haven't seen it in so long it may well be trash lmao

I don't think I ever watched it but it came on after something I did and the only thing I remember is the opening and the fact that it had one of those big "E/I" messages before the start.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

esperterra posted:

i think that's most shows we watched when we were kids, like the galaxy rangers cartoon someone posted earlier. i loved that as a kid but i'm afraid if i were to watch it now it would not hold up

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Cartoons I liked as a kid which I think mostly hold up: Recess and Fillmore!

Especially Fillmore!, that one was a hoot. Its first episode is a parody of The Silence of the Lambs in a middle school with bathroom graffiti instead of murder.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
i got to grow up in the golden age of saturday morning cartoons so my favorites then were gummy bears, thundar the barbarian, dungeons and dragons and on weekdays robotech, galaxy rangers and mysterious cities of gold

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved some cartoon where football team The Knights led by their quarterback Arthur King fall through a Time Warp and end having to defend Camelot.

I can only imagine how garbage that would be if I looked it up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

muscles like this! posted:

I don't think I ever watched it but it came on after something I did and the only thing I remember is the opening and the fact that it had one of those big "E/I" messages before the start.

Easy lyrics to remember for the theme tune.
o/` Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd century! Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd century! o/`

STAC Goat posted:

I loved some cartoon where football team The Knights led by their quarterback Arthur King fall through a Time Warp and end having to defend Camelot.

I can only imagine how garbage that would be if I looked it up.

King Arthur and the Knights of Justice. Real Arthur and his knights were frozen by Morganna so Merlin summoned their future duplicate football team to save the day.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm on episode 5 of Maniac and so far this show makes a decent amount of sense when viewed through the lens of psychosis.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just read an article about Apple's nascent TV programs and apparently the whole thing is a mess because CEO Tim Cook is completely gunshy about having anything that could possibly be controversial. Including removing crucifixes from the background in one show.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yikes. I've heard some big names were attached to some projects for them, though I can't recall any off the top of my head. This could be a disaster.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I think I read the same article too. Apparently the people working for iTunes TV department are calling themselves "expensive NBC".

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Arist posted:

Yikes. I've heard some big names were attached to some projects for them, though I can't recall any off the top of my head. This could be a disaster.

Captain America is doing a law drama for Apple. I honestly forgot about all the other projects. Despite the big names I'll only believe they are real when we get an actual trailer and also information on how people can watch this stuff. Just lol if Apple doesn't have a monthly streaming service by then or if you have to own an Apple TV to watch them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The likelihood of checking out any originals on iTunes for me was very low to begin with. With this report that they are all basically going to be gutless network level stuff makes that a much easier choice.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

Somehow Saved by the Bell rerurns now rate as Educational/Informational. Aside from "Don't overdose on NoDoz" and "Dustin Diamond really is a weirdo" I don't see how it counts.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Somehow Saved by the Bell rerurns now rate as Educational/Informational. Aside from "Don't overdose on NoDoz" and "Dustin Diamond really is a weirdo" I don't see how it counts.

Learning the Zack Morris way to take advantage of and fleece your fellow students for everything they've got is educational, informational, and entertaining!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Crossposting this here because I cant find the GoT thread:

We just got back from this Game of Thrones orchestra thing. I thought they were just going to play the music from the show, but it was really cool. The composer from the show was leading the orchestra, and he would talk about the music a bit and give some back story on how he developed it. They would also show clips and basically live score it, so imagine seeing like the Battle of the Bastards on an IMAX screen with a live orchestra playing the score. They also showed the Cersei destroying the church scene and the Red Wedding. They also did character themes and you saw montage clips of them. Overall a really fun experience. At the end they did an "In Memoriam" where they showed everyone who was killed off and it took a long rear end time.

Basically, if you like GoT and this comes to your area its super worth it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

swickles posted:

We just got back from this Game of Thrones orchestra thing. I thought they were just going to play the music from the show, but it was really cool. The composer from the show was leading the orchestra, and he would talk about the music a bit and give some back story on how he developed it. They would also show clips and basically live score it, so imagine seeing like the Battle of the Bastards on an IMAX screen with a live orchestra playing the score. They also showed the Cersei destroying the church scene and the Red Wedding. They also did character themes and you saw montage clips of them. Overall a really fun experience. At the end they did an "In Memoriam" where they showed everyone who was killed off and it took a long rear end time.

That actually sounds kinda cool and I mostly watch GoT to laugh at people I hate die

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Captain America is doing a law drama for Apple. I honestly forgot about all the other projects. Despite the big names I'll only believe they are real when we get an actual trailer and also information on how people can watch this stuff. Just lol if Apple doesn't have a monthly streaming service by then or if you have to own an Apple TV to watch them.

It’ll probably be on Apple Music like the carpool karaoke show

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't have any data but I feel like the cultural impact of Apple shows so far have been zero. If they are spending all this money on new stuff they must be thinking about making a splash with a brand new service.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't have any data but I feel like the cultural impact of Apple shows so far have been zero.

That's because there have only been 2 so far (Carpool Karaoke and the already canceled Planet of the Apps).

Mu Zeta posted:

If they are spending all this money on new stuff they must be thinking about making a splash with a brand new service.

There's a lot of promising stuff in the pipeline: https://www.macworld.com/article/3245534/streaming-services/list-of-apple-tv-shows-and-series-news-actors-release-dates.html

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently, people who work in the programming division at Apple have been calling their TV lineup "expensive NBC" due to how bland it is.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

swickles posted:

A friend of mine and his son went to one of those a few years back. He had bought the cheap tickets, because who needs front row to something like that? However, since they had done an awful job of promoting it, they didn't actually sell that many tickets so there were huge swatches of empty spaces throughout the arena, so the ushers moved them up to the front row.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rhyno posted:

That would explain it. Firefly fans tend to be among the worst of all fandoms.
People say this all the time, but the fandom of Firefly has raised tons of money for charity and such, and just seem to really like the show and are generally harmless and I remain convinced that people saying Firefly has the worst fandom is solely because the amount of women who are into the show far outpaces other, "more deserving" genre poo poo that didn't resonate with women quite so much.

See also:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine it's true of a lot of the Sherlock fandom as well.

Any genre show that gets a big audience of women becomes bad because ew no girls allowed in my treehouse. Now, Sherlock became pretty poo poo later on, but let's not pretend it didn't get undue poo poo during its first two seasons when it proved to be a massive hit with women.

I think Twilight sucks rear end as much as the next gal who recognizes gross dumb poo poo written by clueless mormons who thing a woman's ultimate place in life is to choose a boy and have babies, but the backlash against it far outpaced its badness. Because women and girls were in Hall H liking the wrong nerd poo poo.

I'm not suggesting that either of you are poo poo for thinking those fanbases suck, but I do think post-Gamergate, we need to recognize that a lot of outrage in geek spaces is about women claiming their place within it.

Star Wars fans are toxic as gently caress and every pedophile is into Star Trek, but we poo poo on Firefly? Really?

On a completely unrelated note:

Vanderdeath posted:

As one of the twenty people that loved watching Silverhawks in syndication growing up I'm going to have to ask for you to finish your meal and leave this establishment. :colbert:
Wings of Silver. Nerves of steel. :fistbump:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sure but, on the other hand: Wincest

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sherlock was never that great. I liked the first episode but I checked out after the racist Chinese one. Elementary is better because 1) Jonny Lee Miller is a billion times more handsome than Benedict Cumberbatch and 2) The show isn't up its own rear end.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

McSpanky posted:

Sure but, on the other hand: Wincest
Some women bad means all women bad? I'm not seeing your point here.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

People say this all the time, but the fandom of Firefly has raised tons of money for charity and such, and just seem to really like the show and are generally harmless and I remain convinced that people saying Firefly has the worst fandom is solely because the amount of women who are into the show far outpaces other, "more deserving" genre poo poo that didn't resonate with women quite so much.

See also:

Any genre show that gets a big audience of women becomes bad because ew no girls allowed in my treehouse. Now, Sherlock became pretty poo poo later on, but let's not pretend it didn't get undue poo poo during its first two seasons when it proved to be a massive hit with women.

I think Twilight sucks rear end as much as the next gal who recognizes gross dumb poo poo written by clueless mormons who thing a woman's ultimate place in life is to choose a boy and have babies, but the backlash against it far outpaced its badness. Because women and girls were in Hall H liking the wrong nerd poo poo.

I'm not suggesting that either of you are poo poo for thinking those fanbases suck, but I do think post-Gamergate, we need to recognize that a lot of outrage in geek spaces is about women claiming their place within it.

Star Wars fans are toxic as gently caress and every pedophile is into Star Trek, but we poo poo on Firefly? Really?

On a completely unrelated note:

Wings of Silver. Nerves of steel. :fistbump:

I mean, yes, but also Firefly fans made a documentary about how great Firefly fans are

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Trek fans made movies and episodes. I mean come on. But who cares anyways. Enjoy whatever you enjoy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

While I'm not sure what I think of Livid Liquid's overall hypothesis (I'm interested to hear more and explore it) I gotta agree that while I found the Firefly fanbase obnoxious wearing ugly hats and complaining endlessly about network scheduling seems like it kind of pales to a fanbase writing incest fiction and harassing the wives and girlfriends of the stars and pushing for every woman to get fired from the show. Or there's probably a ton of other creepy examples, especially when it comes to adults and children's cartoons.

The Firefly people didn't seem to really have enough time to get real weird. They were just annoying and loud, and an extension of the larger Whedon fanbase. Unless I missed something they're mostly weird because they won't let it go.

But like there's nerds still obsessing over Star Wars or Doctor Who or Dune or other stuff from before I was born so whatever. Firefly nerds fell into the trap of being modern so their weirdness being new.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The crazy fans of Supernatural, not all of them just the crazies, put people in other fandoms to shame. They are legit psychos. It's not bad enough that they harass any female that happens to get a recurring role on the show, they also harass the real life wives of the leads. That's like a hundred steps beyond anything a Firefly fan has probably done.

Star Wars fans seem to be catching up though.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 24, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The 501st has done more for charity than any other fandom but a group of them also assaulted a guy in a Trek costume and nearly killed him BUT THINK OF THE CHARITIES.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Eh every group has its losers. It’s not like they are catholic priests.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

The 501st has done more for charity than any other fandom but a group of them also assaulted a guy in a Trek costume and nearly killed him BUT THINK OF THE CHARITIES.

Maybe he was aiming for someone else.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Trek fans made movies and episodes. I mean come on. But who cares anyways. Enjoy whatever you enjoy.

There is a difference between fanfic and making an entire movie based on how great you are. At that point, its not a celebration of the source material but a celebration of your self.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

GreenNight posted:

Enjoy whatever you enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

swickles posted:

There is a difference between fanfic and making an entire movie based on how great you are. At that point, its not a celebration of the source material but a celebration of your self.

I mean, surely Trek fans have done their share of self gratifying nonsense over the decades?

Like I said, I think its just that Firefly (a) had a short run and (b) was so recent so the fanbase seems "unearned" and unduly obsessed. But there's totally Doctor Who and Star Wars fans who think they're awesome BECAUSE they're fans.

Fandoms in general are kind of toxic and masturbatory. Every sports fandom eventually turns into fans vs fans and "how awesome are we?!" Its just the way people are when they become obsessed.

It doesn't make YOU a weirdo for rooting for your favorite team or loving your favorite show. Some people just get lost in that poo poo and it gets weird and unhealthy and takes on a life of its own. I mean, look at Juggalos.