Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Don't besmirch XRA like this, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've started putting ideas down on paper for a game I wanna write. There but for the grace of God or just forgetting about it go I.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Helical Nightmares posted:

This was a great effort post and I hope you post more about your campaign in the future.
Thanks! I'm happy to talk Pendragon shop anytime. Right now, I'm prepping for tomorrow's session. Its gonna be a doozy. One of my characters is playing a shifty Irish peasant —his knight died alone in a swamp after the party was split up. The new character is a self-serving coward, so it'll be fun watching him squirm in the chaos of coastal-castle siege that has him trapped inside the walls. The player always jukes my expectations, so I'm excited to see what goes down. After the siege, if any of them survive, they'll have maybe one more session in Ireland, then back to Salisbury with a lot of scars and stories.

I think they're eager to go back to Saxon hordes and politics after the madness and savagery of Ireland.

Gau posted:

tokenbrownguy, I would basically read as many words as you are willing to write about your GPC. It's always been a dream of mine, I just need the correct players and format.

Do you guys only play during scheduled sessions or is there some asynchronous roleplaying/gaming as well?
We only play scheduled sessions—no text chat or roleplaying outside of sessions. My players are great, but I doubt they'd be super jazzed to have homework between sessions. I know some groups use async real well, but I prefer to keep it all in-session. Keeps my player focused on the scheduled time and reduces my workload.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Today I realized the name of an ancient god I gave to my players is a real country in Africa.
I google every nonstandard name I come up with to see if it's a thing, ever since I had a dragonborn cleric bad guy named Azul. He was copper coloured, and thankfully none of my players speak Spanish.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I google every nonstandard name I come up with to see if it's a thing, ever since I had a dragonborn cleric bad guy named Azul. He was copper coloured, and thankfully none of my players speak Spanish.

I play EUIV and CK2 and write down every cool name I see because I know none of my players will ever know.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just trawl wikipedia for names and ideas. I don't expect the players to get them. They never ask.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I've been doing the "google your made-up names" thing since the early 2000s when I saw someone accidentally (genuinely accidentally) call a character what they believed was just a slight re-spelling of "Shiny", having never heard that particular slur for jewish people.

Because while I feel like that's not a mistake I would make, stuff like this comes up fairly frequently:

My Lovely Horse posted:

I had a dragonborn cleric bad guy named Azul. He was copper coloured, and thankfully none of my players speak Spanish.

Now, I'm not from the Americas or Europe so there's every chance I'm missing some cultural thing. My knowledge of Spanish isn't far past dora the explorer level so there's every chance I'm missing an actual language thing too.

But at the risk of sounding like a complete loving idiot, does "azul" not just mean "blue" in Spanish? Like if you wanted to say "blue water" you'd say "agua azul"?

e: Oh wait, poo poo, it's gonna be the same as in Irish where saying someone is "blue" is like a somewhat-to-fairly rude way of saying dark-skinned, right?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 24, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AlphaDog posted:

I've been doing the "google your made-up names" thing since the early 2000s when I saw someone accidentally (genuinely accidentally) call a character what they believed was just a slight re-spelling of "Shiny", having never heard that particular slur for jewish people.

I'd never heard that one either, had to look it up before your edit there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

But at the risk of sounding like a complete loving idiot, does "azul" not just mean "blue" in Spanish? Like if you wanted to say "blue water" you'd say "agua azul"?
As far as I know, yeah. It's no big thing or hidden meaning or anything, just there would have been comments on how name and colour don't match. Plus a slight concern the bard might break out the Eiffel 65 for Vicious Mockery.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

I had to trawl Wikipedia to find out what the hell you were talking about and I think English might be running out of words that aren't obscure ethnic slurs.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 24, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My Lovely Horse posted:

As far as I know, yeah. It's no big thing or hidden meaning or anything, just there would have been comments on how name and colour don't match. Plus a slight concern the bard might break out the Eiffel 65 for Vicious Mockery.

If anything that's some good joke fodder. Maybe he's named after a relative.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'd never heard that one either, had to look it up before your edit there.

Splicer posted:

I had to trawl Wikipedia to find out what the hell you were talking about and I think English might be running out of words that aren't obscure ethnic slurs.

That's exactly why I google, but it's not that obscure. It got a mention in Clerks 2 and I've heard it a fair bit IRL, admittedly not so much since I cut a particular group of people out of my life.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I get the feeling it's where we get Lapis Lazuli from, though I could be wrong.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

e: Oh wait, poo poo, it's gonna be the same as in Irish where saying someone is "blue" is like a somewhat-to-fairly rude way of saying dark-skinned, right?
I... What? I'm Irish and I don't think there's any implied negative connotations to "fear gorm".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"azul" is blue

It doesn't have any deeper connotation besides the mismatch of a copper-colored dragon being named "blue"

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

I... What? I'm Irish and I don't think there's any implied negative connotations to "fear gorm".

The impression I got from the person who told me this was that to say, in Irish, "a blue person" (equivalent to "a black person" in english, according to them) was regarded as less polite / more old-fashioned / maybe you should phrase it differently.

That person isn't Irish though, so if they're wrong then I'm wrong and I'm fine with being wrong about this and probably shouldn't have made the guess in the first place as is being demonstrated right now by everyone going "dude no".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Once upon a time, I read a Dragonlance short story about a dragon-slayer that fought and defeated a White Dragon, only to later realize that what he had really slain was an albino Silver.

There's an adventure seed somewhere in the tale of a copper dragon that's turned green over the years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AlphaDog posted:

The impression I got from the person who told me this was that to say, in Irish, "a blue person" (equivalent to "a black person" in english, according to them) was regarded as less polite / more old-fashioned / maybe you should phrase it differently.

That person isn't Irish though, so if they're wrong then I'm wrong and I'm fine with being wrong about this and probably shouldn't have made the guess in the first place as is being demonstrated right now by everyone going "dude no".

I remember something like 'Blue' could refer to a bad or melancholic temper. At least that traditionally in Scots, 'Black' as a nickname or epithet meant having an extremely bad temper. (Black Donald McDuck comes to mind, the inventor of golf who also got it banned, and invented several other sports through violent tantrums)

gradenko_2000 posted:

Once upon a time, I read a Dragonlance short story about a dragon-slayer that fought and defeated a White Dragon, only to later realize that what he had really slain was an albino Silver.

There's an adventure seed somewhere in the tale of a copper dragon that's turned green over the years.

I loosely remember it being canon that copper dragons start turning green over the centuries.

Some dragon lore also plays with that, like that the result of interbreeding between different coloured dragons might display some odd quirks, like having the colouration of one parent but the abilities of the other.

Mercury Dragons still might be my favourite. They're basically wacky draconic T-1000s whose hoards are more like collections, complete with being willing to trade away doubles.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

This has to be something that a GM sprung on one of his players.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

:aaa: oh my god I can absolutely see some shitdick DM doing this to a Paladin to get them to fall

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
In an old WotC module there was a 'white dragon of the tower' which turned out to be a 'wight dragon of the tower', which screwed over more than one party. (Prep for cold attacks, die to energy drain.)

And in the D&D Rules Cyclopedia (which is BECMI? I think?) there are suggestions for alternative monster encounters, one of which is a black pudding in the shape of a black dragon, which spits green slime. Which is another TPK waiting to happen, although I suppose at least black dragons and black puddings are both known for acid damage.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

gradenko_2000 posted:

It doesn't have any deeper connotation besides the mismatch of a copper-colored dragon being named "blue"

Happily, there's no mismatch. Lots of copper compounds are very blue.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ratoslov posted:

Happily, there's no mismatch. Lots of copper compounds are very blue.

i mean maybe his mom or dad just had a very specific type of dragonborn colorblindness you insensitive jerks

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Different topic, but are there any games where you are a created thing is the main theme?

I'm thinking like '50s and '60s AI-striving-to-be-human type scifi shorts, or even Asimov's R Daneel Olivaw stories, but I'd be interested in anything that deals with the idea that you are definitely a made thing, your maker is/was real, is potentially present, and has probably given you a set of rules (possibly including one or more rules that you are incapable of violating).

e: Doesn't have to be scifi/AI/robots, if a wizard did it that's fine, if it's a literal godlike creator that's fine too.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 24, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

Different topic, but are there any games where you are a created thing is the main theme?

I'm thinking like '50s and '60s AI-striving-to-be-human type scifi shorts, or even Asimov's R Daneel Olivaw stories, but I'd be interested in anything that deals with the idea that you are definitely a made thing, your maker is/was real, is potentially present, and has probably given you a set of rules (possibly including one or more rules that you are incapable of violating).

e: Doesn't have to be scifi/AI/robots, if a wizard did it that's fine, if it's a literal godlike creator that's fine too.

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/gradenko2000/the-book-of-iron-might/#3

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Wait it is. gently caress, thats the name for star wars clone troopers who are fresh off the line.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AlphaDog posted:

Promethean: The Created, Engine Hearts...

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks, but not really what I'm looking for. More after a game themed that way rather than a D&Dish game including a nod toward that themes.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cool, I'll check them out. Engine Heart looks particularly appealing. (e: oh neat, free on DTRPG!)

kingcom posted:

Wait it is. gently caress, thats the name for star wars clone troopers who are fresh off the line.

Yeah maybe I was unclear through an unwillingness to type the actual name but gently caress it I'm just gonna type it out, this is ridiculous.

The player in question had called their shiny-haired, sparkly-clothed character "Sheenie", which while maybe not in super common every day usage is absolutely, definitely, a racial slur.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 24, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

As mentioned, this is literally Promethean. Most WoD games touch on this in some way as well, if you're willing to stretch your definition of "created thing" to vampires (Vampire, obviously :v:) or malfunctioning sapient computer programs (nWoD Demon).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

As mentioned, this is literally Promethean. Most WoD games touch on this in some way as well, if you're willing to stretch your definition of "created thing" to vampires (Vampire, obviously :v:) or malfunctioning sapient computer programs (nWoD Demon).

Reading Engine Heart now, the short piece of fiction at the front about the library bot rescuing the books from a fire long after all humanity is gone is pretty much the vibe I was looking for, but I'll check out the world of darkness stuff too. Never was a fan except for Mage and Changeling, but I guess I'll see. "Malfunctioning Sentient Computer Programs" kinda brings HAL to mind, which is also something I'd be interested in exploring.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

kingcom posted:

I play EUIV and CK2 and write down every cool name I see because I know none of my players will ever know.

The mysterious danger of the Dungeon of Qara Qoyunlu

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I get the feeling it's where we get Lapis Lazuli from, though I could be wrong.

It's the other way around.

(https://www.etymonline.com/word/azure#etymonline_v_19038)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I figured there was a relation in any case. Learn something new every day.

It's not like humans have names that make much sense if you take them literally.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

AlphaDog posted:

Another one is a fairly obscure game called Zero where you play, basically, Borg soldiers who escaped from the hive and into a post-apoc wasteland.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I just pulled up engine hearts and I'm bugging my group to let me run it during our main campaign hiatus. Turns out one of them has already played it... in a post-apocalyptic Thomas the Tank Engine game.

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not like humans have names that make much sense if you take them literally.

A copper dragonborn named Azul would make perfect sense if he was Australian. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Bluey

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ianvincible posted:

A copper dragonborn named Azul would make perfect sense if he was Australian. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Bluey

We do love our ironic nicknames.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah but then the players would be obligated to tell Azul, You’re my boy!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

ianvincible posted:

"The name's Azul. Azul Bar'Garse."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Kai Tave posted:

It's more common for it to be an albino red dragon, players gear up for a relatively weak white dragon and load up on fire-based attacks and cold resistance only to be dumped into a harder fight with a fireproof opponent.