Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Speaking of, does anyone know how much localization has affected the characters we do know and love? I know Franziska was supposed to regress to talking like a small child and Blackquill was more of a ronin than a weeb, but what of anyone else? I can only imagine Godot was less of a goof in Japanese, and I think things like Redd White's splendiferous vocabulary and Sal Manella's... gimmick were also inventions of the localizers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
And isn't the game mostly in London anyway?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Speaking of, does anyone know how much localization has affected the characters we do know and love? I know Franziska was supposed to regress to talking like a small child and Blackquill was more of a ronin than a weeb, but what of anyone else? I can only imagine Godot was less of a goof in Japanese, and I think things like Redd White's splendiferous vocabulary and Sal Manella's... gimmick were also inventions of the localizers.

Blackquill has to be the most endearing localization change to me. He was always a nerd anyway but instead of being a dude hang up on glorious japan past traditions and honour he's just... a weeb. I found that trial he had with Athena where he kept correcting everyone about :japan: absolutely hilarious.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Franziska reverting to childish speech sounds lame, so I'm glad they didn't go with that in the localization as far as I remember.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The just made her say foolish twenty times which was pretty lame too, unfortunately.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, we got the "foolish fool" stuff instead. I think for the most part the localizations sound like changes for the better, but there was that time in T&T where Franziska called Larry "huffy-puffy" and "loosey-goosey," and I gotta say I liked it better than the fool stuff. I think more playground insults would have worked for the character, but maybe not every single time she talks about fools.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The judge's randomly Canadian brother

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've heard Oldbag is actually funny which is presumably why she showed up so much.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I believe in the Japanese version Redd White incorrectly uses random English phrases. So the English version having him speak made up nonsense is fairly close.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Renoistic posted:

The just made her say foolish twenty times which was pretty lame too, unfortunately.

This is wrong.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

chumbler posted:

Franziska reverting to childish speech sounds lame, so I'm glad they didn't go with that in the localization as far as I remember.

Everything in Ace Attorney sounds lame when described out of context, though.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Gruckles posted:

I believe in the Japanese version Redd White incorrectly uses random English phrases. So the English version having him speak made up nonsense is fairly close.

Yeah, he comes off as a pretentious dickwad either way, so it works.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Gruckles posted:

Every fantabulous word in his giantesque vocabulary is actual English. He does say some random Spanish phrases like "hasta la vista" and "blanco nino," though, which presumably references his habit of using English in Japanese.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Best character in the series

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Meallan posted:

Blackquill has to be the most endearing localization change to me. He was always a nerd anyway but instead of being a dude hang up on glorious japan past traditions and honour he's just... a weeb. I found that trial he had with Athena where he kept correcting everyone about :japan: absolutely hilarious.

see this is how the thread talks about him but when i played the rakugo case, he didn't weeb out nearly as much as i'd been led to expect :(

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

see this is how the thread talks about him but when i played the rakugo case, he didn't weeb out nearly as much as i'd been led to expect :(

How much did you press?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

He’s fighting for his favorite noodle shop and he grills Nahyuta on how much he really knows about rakugo, what more do you want from blackquill

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Such a stupid bit, but I loved it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It doesn't even make SENSE. Maybe I could buy it if he was the judge's cousin, but not his BROTHER.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Yes, because siblings separated by national borders during their formative years has no precedent in this series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Franziska grew up in Germany, but she doesn't talk about like sauerkraut and fine automobiles all the time.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The judge only mentions his playoff beard once!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He also says aboot, eh, hoser, and talks about double doubles!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oh, so a Parrot can testify in court and we can import our ancient shrines of doom and their treasures to america, but the moment the judge has a sudden canadian brother who is somehow judging in SoCal on the very same court house as him, we start questioning the game's logic?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

Franziska grew up in Germany, but she doesn't talk about like sauerkraut and fine automobiles all the time.

No but she totally should.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I agree.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Franziska: German prosecuting...IS ZE FINEST IN ZE VORLD!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

He could be a step brother?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

He could be a step brother?

Is there really a difference between a brother and a step brother?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Is there really a difference between a brother and a step brother?

Step brother makes it more likely to have been born in different countries before moving and becoming family.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Ok but have you guys noticed that the switch joycons have the colour combos of Nick and Edgeworth and even in the exact sides they will take on screen? Makes you think.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 24, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I told everyone those two were switches

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm glad for the AA1-3 port to modern consoles.

One day we'll get a official localization of AAI-2

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Meallan posted:

Ok but have you guys noticed that the switch joycons have the colour combos of Nick and Edgeworth and even in the exact sides they will take on screen? Makes you think.

:confused:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Step brother makes it more likely to have been born in different countries before moving and becoming family.

I knew i fumbled that ladder joke.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
no I got it it was nod-worthy

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Why would someone do this.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Regy Rusty posted:

Why is that? Their parents could have just as easily gotten divorced and split the kids' custody, or they grew up together and the brother moved to Canada at a young age and earned a dual citizenship. We know too little of their family to say anything of the sort. I think you need to reconsider your narrow-minded cultural assumptions.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

HenryEx posted:

I enjoyed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

HenryEx posted:

No that was my fault I just woke up