Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
“The Ken Bone of 9/11” is such a remarkably on-point description for Giuliani.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

pwn posted:

“The Ken Bone of 9/11” is such a remarkably on-point description for Giuliani.

Yeah, this is another week in a row I've been glad to see them stick to American politics. It's a much sharper show for it, despite Who Is America usurping the Sunday night politics crown for a bit there

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The good 20 seconds of Who is America is always on 100 other tv shows the next day anyway. The full show is not very good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
FAKE NEWS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXYbGmF3_Q

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

IRQ posted:

The good 20 seconds of Who is America is always on 100 other tv shows the next day anyway. The full show is not very good.

Episode 1 was pretty great, and 2 had that pube lady. The talk show host character is of course on point, but the Israeli gun instructor and NPR liberal both got old fast, and I'm not sure the Italian rich dude ever worked. Should've aimed younger with that, gone for more of an Elon Musk type of dumb rich rear end in a top hat

pwn
May 27, 2004

There’s usually something in each episode that’s great, something that’s weak, a filler, and some average content

All 7 episodes are valid to exist on the strength of the NPR guy mosque bit alone.

quote:

He’s saying there’s black people in Kingman who aren’t welcome here either but we tolerate ‘em!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The conspiracy character never works unfortunately but the lesbian's march and OJ bit were great this episode :shrug:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ugh, I love the show but this topic's so disheartening

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ugh, I love the show but this topic's so disheartening

My dad and I got in an argument about this subject back when I was a very young man, maybe before I was 18. I don't know what started it, but somehow the subject got to felonies. He said that when you get a felony, you can't vote anymore, even after you've paid your debt to society (jail, probation, parole, restitution, whatever). Now, I wasn't a lawyer or anything, and I'd never once even thought about this issue, but dammit, I fought about it. And I won! Because in Illinois, this isn't a problem. He never admitted he was wrong, but then again, he never did.

Many years later, maybe after he died, I found out about this law that exists in some states. Maybe it was one of the Virginias? It came up in the last few years as something that was very nearly overturned, then wasn't. But this system in Florida is just off-the-wall bonkers. It's like the review exists just so they can drop in and feel superior to people who got caught doing something they ought not to have got caught doing. It's like one of the cutaway gags they do on Family Guy, except it's a real thing that exists.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can't believe that spacemice have taken over NASA

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think one of the most depressing things about this is how few Americans seem to realize that most democratic nations DON'T do this. Hell, in a lot of countries you can still vote WHILE IN PRISON.

The idea that "if you commit a crime you lose your rights" is a very uniquely American one.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The US has a couple of systems it uses to create underclasses of people who are exempted from legal rights. This is one of them, and it's real poo poo. One of the many ways that the prison system is very obviously not about reformation and oh hey, here's a way where they can arbitrarily play god with people's lives. Maybe it's because they're being racist to a black man, or maybe the fact that he's running rehab programs just signals to them that he'd vote against them even if they weren't running their own little quintesson court. Who knows, who cares. All poo poo.

Incidentally, I don't know much about Floridian politics, but I do remember Rick Scott from a piece on the daily show back when he was trying to force welfare recipients to take drug tests and Assif Mandvi tried to get him to piss into a cup.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

The US has a couple of systems it uses to create underclasses of people who are exempted from legal rights. This is one of them, and it's real poo poo. One of the many ways that the prison system is very obviously not about reformation and oh hey, here's a way where they can arbitrarily play god with people's lives. Maybe it's because they're being racist to a black man, or maybe the fact that he's running rehab programs just signals to them that he'd vote against them even if they weren't running their own little quintesson court. Who knows, who cares. All poo poo.

Incidentally, I don't know much about Floridian politics, but I do remember Rick Scott from a piece on the daily show back when he was trying to force welfare recipients to take drug tests and Assif Mandvi tried to get him to piss into a cup.

Basically all I know about Floridian politics is that Rick Scott is an all-around piece of poo poo. Like literally everything about him is terrible and they could easily make the entire show of LWT about him and never run out of content.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I watched a documentary on Netflix a few months ago about the American prison system, I forget it’s name, but Danny Trejo was involved. Anywho, one of it’s main posits, as I recall, is that said American prison system really is “slavery, but we can’t call it that.”

As a non-American, the very idea of prisons being for-profit private enterprises, with all of the incentives and priorities that entails, is disturbing as gently caress.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The retribution culture is so strong even progressives have to bend or else they are soft on crime, a political death sentence. The problem extends well beyond the prison system, John could run several concurrent shows on the justice system.

Like most problems in America everyone else on the outside can see it clear as day with plenty of solutions on offer but America won't have none of it for one ridiculous reason or another. Whatever you imagine the excuse is, no matter how stupid, reality will call your bet and double down. But the public don't know or don't care as they get played for :capitalism:.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

oohhboy posted:

The retribution culture is so strong even progressives have to bend or else they are soft on crime, a political death sentence.

You’re not wrong, but they’re saying this about those candidates anyway so they may as well do some good while being attacked.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rarity posted:

I can't believe that spacemice have taken over NASA

On the one hand that's terrible, on the other hand I'm pretty sure that spacemice are a necessary step towards discovering Lion Force Voltron and I'm all in favour for that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Basically all I know about Floridian politics is that Rick Scott is an all-around piece of poo poo. Like literally everything about him is terrible and they could easily make the entire show of LWT about him and never run out of content.

If I’m remembering correctly, Scott sent all the testing to the firm he used to work at and contributed massively to his campaign. And they still ended the program after it was leaked that it was costing the state about 200k a month and less than 2% pissed hot.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If I’m remembering correctly, Scott sent all the testing to the firm he used to work at and contributed massively to his campaign. And they still ended the program after it was leaked that it was costing the state about 200k a month and less than 2% pissed hot.

Yeah, the program ended up saving Florida negative dollars.

At least one other state has tried to "fix" this policy by forcing the people getting tested to pay for the test. Maybe it was Arizona? I never read how that ended up working out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, the program ended up saving Florida negative dollars.

At least one other state has tried to "fix" this policy by forcing the people getting tested to pay for the test. Maybe it was Arizona? I never read how that ended up working out.

The florida of the Southwest!

That's a pretty good slogan for the people who choose to move there, honestly.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

I watched a documentary on Netflix a few months ago about the American prison system, I forget it’s name, but Danny Trejo was involved. Anywho, one of it’s main posits, as I recall, is that said American prison system really is “slavery, but we can’t call it that.”

As a non-American, the very idea of prisons being for-profit private enterprises, with all of the incentives and priorities that entails, is disturbing as gently caress.

Theoretically it's less like slavery than it used to be, although I don't have all the details. Imprisoning people for being black and then renting them out as laborers was one of the big workarounds for the repeal of slavery though.

Supposedly, nowadays there are measures in place to mitigate the slavery aspect, like making sure it's not against the prisoners' will and paying them, but it's still a hosed-up institution. One of the recent Dollop episodes reminded me of how even in best-case scenarios, prison labor is wildly unfair to free laborers, since now they have to compete with legal unpersons who don't have a living wage, and it drags down wages, benefits, and safety standards.

I think there are private prisons that don't do prison labor though, and those are mostly just scams on the government using human lives as collateral.

oohhboy posted:

The retribution culture is so strong even progressives have to bend or else they are soft on crime, a political death sentence. The problem extends well beyond the prison system, John could run several concurrent shows on the justice system.

Like most problems in America everyone else on the outside can see it clear as day with plenty of solutions on offer but America won't have none of it for one ridiculous reason or another. Whatever you imagine the excuse is, no matter how stupid, reality will call your bet and double down. But the public don't know or don't care as they get played for :capitalism:.

It's one of those things that ruins watching movies or TV once you realize what the problem is, and how often that entirely mistaken perspective is parroted and reinforced throughout media. Kinda like how every time you see a depiction of somebody getting rough with a suspect to successfully get more information, it's a mini-treatise on how actually torture is a good and effective method to get information.

But don't worry, non-Americans, the US happens to be one of the biggest exporters of media, so you'll get infected eventually.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

TheCenturion posted:

Actually you can absolutely call it slavery.

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

As you can clearly read for yourself, the United States never abolished slavery.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah there’s that popular comic that went around a while ago about how Breaking Bad couldn’t have happened in any country other than the US. I also remember a throwaway line from Futurama about how Bender can’t vote because he’s a convicted felon and it’s completely unremarked upon. I’ve often joked that the US’s primary export is their lovely political opinions when it comes to things like Fox News and so on, but it applies even to more innocuous media too.

As for the prison labour thing, I don’t know a lot of the specifics about it (I think the laws vary wildly from state to state anyway), but another problem that comes up is that even if prisoners do get paid, they don’t necessarily have to be paid minimum wage. So that again creates that issue that no legitimate business can compete on price with prison labour. Like the vast majority of military uniforms are produced by prison labour because they of course go with the lowest bidder for everything.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Do some states still charge the inmate per day they’re in jail? Like $30 a day and even working 8 hour shifts at the prison still doesn’t pay enough to cover it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Orange Devil posted:

Actually you can absolutely call it slavery.

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

As you can clearly read for yourself, the United States never abolished slavery.

I mean, not according to the courts.

I happen to agree with you though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

I mean, not according to the courts.

I happen to agree with you though.

I think the point here is that even according to the courts slavery still exists, because they explicitly mention that it’s still a-ok as a punishment for committing a crime.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Little disappointed by the stealth repeat this week.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Little disappointed by the stealth repeat this week.

I saw that it said "Repeat" on my DVR's guide, but I recorded it anyway, just in case. It's been marking new premieres of The Venture Bros. as repeats for the better part of the season for some reason, so I never really know. The show started with new content, but then it was just a framing device to set up the repeat. So, my DVR guide was right after all.

At least they had a bit of fun with it. I was hoping for a new episode, though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I don't know how anyone didn't see this coming when the last show ended with "If I'm not here next week, it's because of space mice" the week before the Emmys

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The firm wasn't just one he worked at and donated to his campaign, it was one his wife owns. (After he transferred his stake to her, since he was a co-founder.)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yes, never forget that Rick Scott settled the largest Medicare fraud case in US history. The guy should literally be in prison.

pwn
May 27, 2004

swickles posted:

Yes, never forget that Rick Scott settled the largest Medicare fraud case in US history. The guy should literally be in prison.
Specifically, Azkaban.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Incidentally, the space mice had a real good tactic for pulling John Oliver away from his show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVZtQO4Sypc

It's interesting that variety/talk shows these days have been mostly taken over by pseudo-reporting. News, but with a focus on comedy or comedy with an emphasis on news. Jon Stewart blazed the trail for that, but most of the element of making fun of and criticizing the 24-hour media cycle has sorta fallen by the wayside, and the comedy shows have been absorbed by the news cycle.

LWT is the most informative of the bunch, definitely.

pwn
May 27, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I saw that it said "Repeat" on my DVR's guide, but I recorded it anyway, just in case. It's been marking new premieres of The Venture Bros. as repeats for the better part of the season for some reason, so I never really know. The show started with new content, but then it was just a framing device to set up the repeat. So, my DVR guide was right after all.

At least they had a bit of fun with it. I was hoping for a new episode, though.
I’d really like to see what little bit was used to start Sunday’s repeat. HBO doesn’t have it on their GO service and sifting through Youtube Hell has yielded nothing thus far.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Was it an unannounced rerun? Oliver usually gives a "we're off next week for X" when they know they're not doing an episode. Mostly I'm just annoyed that they came back, did one episode, and then had other obligations the very next week. I wonder if they're saving production budget for midterm focused episodes, or if this was just inopportune scheduling.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

He did announce they would be off, he just did it with a joke.

None of the late night shows maintain normal schedules around the Emmy's. TLS skipped Monday. TDS skipped Monday and Tuesday.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, it was Emmy week so they definitely planned to have off.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I liked the stealth Olson Twins callback in the FB ad.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Couldn't decide which portion was more depressing this week.

pwn posted:

I liked the stealth Olson Twins callback in the FB ad.

This was the highlight though :) Surprised it got such a reserved reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Olsen twins thing, like the bird that eats chips, is apparently funny to some but just a completely dead gag that Oliver insists on running into the ground that just floats by me without a giggle, forever.

• Locked thread