Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I don't give a poo poo about someones moral character if I thought they'd be a good judge. But I also think kavanaugh is a dime a dozen judge with no original thoughts so let him fail the vote and confirm Kozinski or Kaczinskyi.

It's extra fun because lawyers and judges should be extra familiar with issues of witness reliability and statutes of limitation but until Trump is out of office all women must be believed. Which I'm fine with because I think he isn't going to be a good judge

I mean, he's committed perjury in both hearings, he's apparently taking bribes, his legal opinions are entirely dependent on who's in power, and he was up to his neck in some of the worst excesses of the Bush administration. So yeah, perfect judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mastershakeman posted:

#metoo wouldn't exist without Trump and will end the minute someone so obviously grotesque is out of office. Get a decorum guy like pence (who actually has more reprehensible beliefs ) and it's back to normal where politicians all cover for each others affairs and indiscretions

Double check that eviction issue, service by posting is absolutely allowed in Illinois and I presume it's common elsewhere.

:lol: thanks for mentioning that. I get to tell two experienced attorneys that they're wrong on this one. There's a caveat in the service statute that specifically allows posting for residential actions for possession so long as there were two attempts 6 hours apart.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 21, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: thanks for mentioning that. I get to tell two practicing attorneys that they're wrong on this one. There's a caveat in the service statute that specifically allows posting for residential actions for possession so long as there were two attempts 6 hours apart.

Yeah it can get complicated quick. In Illinois, you can post for service but if you do so you need to show you were actually trying to serve the guy (him not living there means you'd probably lose this one). But it only gets you jurisdiction over the unit here, not the person, so no money damages. Florida may well be different but worth checking into.

Also, do you have notices to serve before serving process there? Those are under a different, sometimes more difficult standard.

In IL the legislature didn't word the statute correctly and you can drive a truck through a loophole as a tenant.
Here, as landlord you have to send a notice saying if you don't do x (usually pay rent) in y days (lot of variables here) we will file suit. Can serve through certified mail but only if they sign for it, and can post only if they're in "actual possession" which is a phrase the courts refuse to acknowledge.

So if you're on vacation you can't ever receive the notice and the lawsuit can never start, so you can never ask a judge for a remedy in service.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 21, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah it can get complicated quick. In Illinois, you can post for service but if you do so you need to show you were actually trying to serve the guy (him not living there means you'd probably lose this one). But it only gets you jurisdiction over the unit here, not the person, so no money damages. Florida may well be different but worth checking into

FL just requires that the server attempt two times at least 6 hours apart before posting, and this is only allowed in actions for right of possession. It makes sense because if someone abandons you'd never be able to properly serve them otherwise. It says "if they cannot be found in the county" and he never left the county, so it might be an argument. It's a really weak one, though.

The rest of everything is still good to go. I'm waiting another couple of weeks to see if they send certified mail about damages to keep his deposit, because if they don't get that in by 30 days they immediately owe the deposit in full.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

sullat posted:

I mean, he's committed perjury in both hearings, he's apparently taking bribes, his legal opinions are entirely dependent on who's in power, and he was up to his neck in some of the worst excesses of the Bush administration. So yeah, perfect judge.

He also likely has a horrific gambling problem.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
1993-2001
"Morality is an important part of being a president!"
"Who cares about morality in the president?? These women just want attention! Its all a smear campaign!"

2016 - 2018
"Who cares about morality in the president?? These women just want attention! Its all a smear campaign!"

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Didn't the Paula Jones thing come to light well after 1993?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Just gonna drop this little fella here so all you "constitutional law" buffs (sophists) can dig in:

https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/1043195272992632835

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The source is McCabe's memos. Guess it's time for Rosenstein to get fired and the probe to end.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

The source is McCabe's memos. Guess it's time for Rosenstein to get fired and the probe to end.

Trump's a pussy and will never fire anyone himself.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1043217949379706882

I just...what world is this

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Just gonna drop this little fella here so all you "constitutional law" buffs (sophists) can dig in:

I like that the denial on the 25th am is tailored as “I haven’t witnessed Trump poo poo his pants in the middle of a meeting personally...”

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

yronic heroism posted:

I like that the denial on the 25th am is tailored as “I haven’t witnessed Trump poo poo his pants in the middle of a meeting personally...”

That's the part you hone in on, not the "he said it, but said it sarcastically"?

Though it's awful reporting nonetheless.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

No, confirmation (or non-denial denials) that the president is a mush brain and the Gorilla channel thing happened will always be the best part, and this would not have happened here but for a situation caused by lovely reporting.

So when you think of it, it’s really the best of all possible media landscapes.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I have an interview for a corporate intelligence job at a major national bank that likes to hire JDs. Maybe there is hope I’ll never have to practice.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Congrats, that’s the dream.

Also I forgot to reply to this earlier:

Toona the Cat posted:

Dear Law Thread,

I apologize if I have hurt you at any point this year and I humbly ask for your forgiveness.

L’Shalom

Dear Toona,

Thank you for the interview.

I forgot to ask earlier, but by the way...

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 22, 2018

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

I have an interview for a corporate intelligence job at a major national bank that likes to hire JDs. Maybe there is hope I’ll never have to practice.

Grats, rooting for ya buddy. Make the dream happen.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The only fitting end to the Toona saga would be a job that didn’t require a JD in the 1st place.

Pulling for ya, bud.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Marriage counselor.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
30,000 apply for public service loan forgiveness. 96 approved.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/09/21/the-education-department-data-shows-how-rare-loan-forgiveness-is.html

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Vox Nihili posted:

As a government attorney who is often annoyed by my "clients" I would be in no way shocked if these statements happened by they were some combination of sarcasm and gallows humor. I heard an interview of the journalist on NPR today and when asked if he could have been joking, he responded that Rosenstien was asked if he was joking he said no. gently caress, I think I answer that question "no" deadpan like 4 times a week, but I don't mean it.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

nm posted:

As a government attorney who is often annoyed by my "clients" I would be in no way shocked if these statements happened by they were some combination of sarcasm and gallows humor. I heard an interview of the journalist on NPR today and when asked if he could have been joking, he responded that Rosenstien was asked if he was joking he said no. gently caress, I think I answer that question "no" deadpan like 4 times a week, but I don't mean it.

You are 100% right. The Washington Post had its own story that made this context clear. The New York Times doesn't do reporting if it can help it.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

1993-2001

2016 - 2018

Some of us think that Clinton and Trump are rapists, and that Bush and Obama are war criminals.

See I'm logically consistent in my leftism.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

The Republican Party is doing their best to dig their grave and fill it in with cement so the coffin doesn’t float up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Legal questions thread looking good. I'm tempted to chime in with my own law school narrative...

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Discendo Vox posted:

Legal questions thread looking good. I'm tempted to chime in with my own law school narrative...

You should do that

This would also be a perfect time for an SV post

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey client I got out on bail a few days ago now back in custody whats up its cool I am your own private bail getting machine let me just snap my fingers and get you out again

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hey, let's see what's happening with the real-life authentic, ripped-from-the-headlines Pros and Cons!

Never mind forget I said anything

no wait what are you doing don't click tha

Selachian posted:

I wish it noted that if this provokes a Mallard Fillmore-esque shitfest, it is not my fault.

Herewith, Pros and It Used to Be Such a Good Strip Too.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 23, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

According to intrepid internet gamblers, the Kavanaugh appointment is on the verge of falling through.

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/12469/Will-Brett-Kavanaugh-be-the-next-confirmed-Supreme-Court-justice#data

Trading at 31c now.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

If these extra allegations have any shred of credibility, I’d be surprised if they don’t yank him before the hearing. They can find someone else to overturn Roe that hasn’t maybe sexually assaulted someone.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Look Sir Droids posted:

If these extra allegations have any shred of credibility, I’d be surprised if they don’t yank him before the hearing. They can find someone else to overturn Roe that hasn’t maybe sexually assaulted someone.

that would require admitting a problem which the orange manchild is physically incapable of

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Adar posted:

that would require admitting a problem which the orange manchild is physically incapable of

You think he has any idea who Cavanaugh is or whats happening? He thinks the Supreme Court is where all the good food is in the mall.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

blarzgh posted:

You think he has any idea who Cavanaugh is or whats happening? He thinks the Supreme Court is where all the good food is in the mall.

This is funny but if there’s one thing Donnie understands it’s never admitting fault and never, ever letting a woman win.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Oh the dude with a bunch of financial irregularities also has personal skeletons? Weird

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

According to intrepid internet gamblers, the Kavanaugh appointment is on the verge of falling through.

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/12469/Will-Brett-Kavanaugh-be-the-next-confirmed-Supreme-Court-justice#data

Trading at 31c now.

Kavanaugh gonna have some more "baseball tickets" when his nom falls through and he loses the 300,000 he bet on himself

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm not sure they can find another blue blooded federalist society approved goon who will overturn roe and uphold korematsu who HASN'T sexually assaulted someone tbh.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Barrett.

Or Judge Jeanine. Who has probably assaulted someone, but not sexually. Maybe.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You know who I'd nominate? Ken Starr. His only failings are in over or under investigating sex.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the judge vetting group the republicans use was well aware of Kavanaugh's potential liabilities. I seem to recall that he wasn't on the approved list of judges, and Trump selected him entirely because he wrote that the president is immune to criminal liability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You know who I'd nominate? Ken Starr. His only failings are in over or under investigating sex.

Yeah turns out people with monstrous views are usually monsters and that their preoccupation with sex and pizza gate poo poo is actually them telling on themselves