Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

King of Foolians posted:

Ugh, is there a reason why this person that claims to be a teacher is so against using punctuation at the ends of sentences?

It's twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Heliotrope posted:

Didn't someone make a bot or something that generated random Not Always Right stories? I think I remember it coming up in this thread.

Yeah, I did, but it was just a dumb Markov bot and the output sucked. Not Always Right tropes are too long to get captured properly by such a simple bot, and I don't have time/energy/will to make a more complex one.

I'm sure there are better NAR bots but I wrote about the MarkovNAR in this thread so you might be remembering that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

King of Foolians posted:

Ugh, is there a reason why this person that claims to be a teacher is so against using punctuation at the ends of sentences?

yeah that's the bad part about that post

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

:ssh: Lots of people with education degrees aren't that bright:ssh:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Of course there's a Harry Potter joke at the end there.
Don't trap sprung on me, I follow a bunch of mock groups on Facebook

VVV yeah that's pretty much my point, but I know that HP attracts some... Obsessive people and I wanted to pré empt anything like that

Serperoth has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Sep 20, 2018

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Serperoth posted:

Of course there's a Harry Potter joke at the end there.
Don't trap sprung on me, I follow a bunch of mock groups on Facebook

I don't think it's "trap sprung" for someone to admit to understanding a reference to the most popular children's book series of our time. It's fine and normal if you liked the books as a kid, or if you enjoy sharing them with the children in your life. However, if you're still obsessed with them as an adult on your own, that's kind of embarrassing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

:ssh: Lots of people with education degrees aren't that bright:ssh:

It's a very easy major. The education graduates have the lowest SAT scores when entering college, and also the highest college GPAs.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I don't think she's in any way suggesting that this is exactly how it goes down, she just summarising using a format that's pretty common on Twitter

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So did he forget his money in his car, or pay immediately after delivering his sick burn?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Forgetting the premise of the story (saying gently caress because you forgot your money) within just a few lines of dialogue is pretty impressive.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

In what hosed up way can he think that he's the good guy in this story?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

bike tory posted:

In what hosed up way can he think that he's the good guy in this story?

Saying “gently caress” is always a heroic act. Especially when there are young, impressionable children in the immediate vicinity.

Seriously though, I don’t get it either.

I WAS REALLY CRUEL TO SOMEBODY FOR NO REASON TO THE POINT WHERE EVERYBODY IN EARSHOT WAS STUNNED BY MY DOUCHEBAGGERY. HI FIVE?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
They couldn't even keep straight whether they had money on them or not. Dude yells gently caress because he forgot his money in the car, then pays the cashier

E: whoops, slow on the trigger

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Like normally those stories have a much more elaborate setup for why they get to treat some woman like poo poo for having kids. Usually its around how the woman is a neglectful or irresponsible parent and the kids have been screaming/making a mess/being rude to everyone etc, basically the kids and her parenting style are just symbolic of her undeserved sexual agency. But I guess it's a familiar enough trope now that they can just cut straight to the bit where they fantasise about getting to vent and be validated for their misogyny.

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Sep 21, 2018

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
I forced an AI to watch the movie AI 1000 times.

It is still very cross at me.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

These kids have no idea how to behave in public, standing behind me all dirty and poo poo. They should take a lesson me, swearing in front of children and calling their mom an unfuckable uggo. :smug:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah I feel like we’re missing a few paragraphs

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Is there a stereotype about roofers helpers? Who I assume are just roofing apprentices and not some hamburger helper spin-off. It seems a weird thing to use as a comparison. I guess you guys do use tar a lot more though.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

GPF posted:

I forced an AI to watch the movie AI 1000 times.

It is still very cross at me.

I forced an AI to watch Mr. Show 1000 times.

It was very David Cross with me.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

I swear I've heard this before, but with the guy asking if they're her biological children, and when she replies angrily that they are, he pulls out the line "I just couldn't believe someone would have sex with you twice."

Still stupid, but at least it's a bon mot and not some guy throwing out random insults.

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

hyperhazard posted:

I swear I've heard this before, but with the guy asking if they're her biological children, and when she replies angrily that they are, he pulls out the line "I just couldn't believe someone would have sex with you twice."

Still stupid, but at least it's a bon mot and not some guy throwing out random insults.

You're thinking of the one where an old guy is a Walmart greeter and is fired on his first day for saying that to a woman

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

I forced an AI to watch Mr. Show 1000 times.

It was very David Cross with me.

I forced an AI to watch Passion of Christ 1000 times...

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

CordlessPen posted:

I forced an AI to watch Passion of Christ 1000 times...

That's nothing. I forced Jesus to watch A.I: Artificial Intelligence 1000 times.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Bee posted:

That's nothing. I forced Jesus to watch A.I: Artificial Intelligence 1000 times.

no wonder we've been getting so many hurricanes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hyperhazard posted:

That's the quote at the end of the fourth paragraph, just with some random senseless slang thrown in (Canadians don't talk like that!)

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Arivia posted:

That's the quote at the end of the fourth paragraph, just with some random senseless slang thrown in (Canadians don't talk like that!)

The point is he skipped the setup for that too, just jumped straight to the insult. As is, it's just a random thing to say instead of following from something else.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I called a woman a stupid ugly bitch today.

I'm leaving out a few of the details but trust me I'm the good guy here :smug:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Comptroll The Forums posted:

I called a woman a stupid ugly bitch today.

I'm leaving out a few of the details but trust me I'm the good guy here :smug:

I did that exact thing, too, but I was talking to myself

Geez, M. Night Shyamalan makes this look easier than it is :sweatdrop:

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

AlbieQuirky posted:

I did that exact thing, too, but I was talking to myself

Geez, M. Night Shyamalan makes this look easier than it is :sweatdrop:

But AlbieQuirky wasn't a stupid ugly bitch

WHAT A TWIST

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
The stupid ugly bitch was inside us all along :unsmith:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

What if the real stupid ugly bitches were the friends we made along the way

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

bike tory posted:

Like normally those stories have a much more elaborate setup for why they get to treat some woman like poo poo for having kids. Usually its around how the woman is a neglectful or irresponsible parent and the kids have been screaming/making a mess/being rude to everyone etc, basically the kids and her parenting style are just symbolic of her undeserved sexual agency. But I guess it's a familiar enough trope now that they can just cut straight to the bit where they fantasise about getting to vent and be validated for their misogyny.

Perhaps it is because I am an idiot, but I never really noticed the misogyny in the "Child-Free" bullshit and IoSM stuff.

But you are right, they always rage against women withtheir kids, and when they attack, they attack the woman for being ugly, or a neglectful parent. Or if they are building themselves up, it is always that they are much better than this stupid, domestic creature that can only ever exist as a baby factory.

Again, maybe it was obvious to everyone else, but I only just noticed the misogynistic overtones that were there amongst the usual nerd/manbaby whingings.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BrigadierSensible posted:

Perhaps it is because I am an idiot, but I never really noticed the misogyny in the "Child-Free" bullshit and IoSM stuff.

But you are right, they always rage against women withtheir kids, and when they attack, they attack the woman for being ugly, or a neglectful parent. Or if they are building themselves up, it is always that they are much better than this stupid, domestic creature that can only ever exist as a baby factory.

Again, maybe it was obvious to everyone else, but I only just noticed the misogynistic overtones that were there amongst the usual nerd/manbaby whingings.

It's because babby is form by sex. Which means the woman likely had sex with a man (IVF, adoption whatever). A man that wasn't the poster. Even though the poster's a nice guy. She just doesn't see that and is off with some chad.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

There were no men on the childfree LiveJournal community that I remember and they still posted that poo poo constantly.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

timefly posted:

There were no men on the childfree LiveJournal community that I remember and they still posted that poo poo constantly.

Internalised misogyny is a hell of a drug.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I think you're stretching. Childfree poo poo is a reaction to heavy social pressure that if you're not married and cranking out kids by 25 you're broken. The constant nagging about "when are you giving us grandchildren?", that kind of thing.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I can testify that ciswomen get the lion's share of the "why aren't you having kids?" messaging. Bearing the weight of that expectation can be stressful and annoying, and it's not at all surprising that a lot of child-free women lash out against it.

E: I also think internalized misogyny is part of it, too, at least for some women.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
There's also the factor of communities defined by not doing something almost inevitably turning toxic. Normal people only have so much to vent about and leave after a while. So the people who stick around as long-term members of the community are all the people who have nothing better to do than rail about "crotchspawn" and "breeders" all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Haifisch posted:

There's also the factor of communities defined by not doing something almost inevitably turning toxic. Normal people only have so much to vent about and leave after a while. So the people who stick around as long-term members of the community are all the people who have nothing better to do than rail about "crotchspawn" and "breeders" all day.

Yes. I chose not to parent, but I also chose not to read garbage about how terrible children are.