Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Blaze Dragon posted:

Why didn't they just...call the Zords? Is there any justification in Carranger as to why they aren't just using the giant monster-wrecking machine against the giant monster?

It doesn't exist yet. This incident prompts them to create it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's probably from like episode 1 or 2 before they got them.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Carranger rules. The heroes are so reluctant and the first time they morph, they take so long that the bad guys get bored and leave in the middle.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Rewatching Jungle Fury for shits and giggles, and while the fights are boring as poo poo, I'm pleased to be reminded that the live-action stuff is still fun as hell.

Like, when the Bad Guy's assistant near-literally-for-PG-purposes tells a monster "Don't screw up, or it's my rear end that's getting chewed out in thirty minutes", it's almost :3:able.

(late edit: let's not forget "our master might actually be baked all to poo poo")

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 25, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/TheRealDivatox/status/1044661362436128768?s=19

Sup everybody it's just me the new blue ranger chilling with a Divatox on each arm

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Al Borland Korn posted:

https://twitter.com/TheRealDivatox/status/1044661362436128768?s=19

Sup everybody it's just me the new blue ranger chilling with a Divatox on each arm

This rules. Power Rangers fandom is cool again

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Man if Haim got his idea greenlit one year earlier

https://twitter.com/tokugifs/status/1044720892620754944?s=19

I can totally see the original cast doing this. I can see them wearing those exact clothes almost.

Still he lucked out with the green ranger and dragonzord.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Jetman, did anyone else have the set preordered from Amazon and get an email today about it being delayed "1 to 2 months"?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Jetman, did anyone else have the set preordered from Amazon and get an email today about it being delayed "1 to 2 months"?

For me it was delayed till October 4th

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Are Jetman and Carranger and poo poo available on Crunchyroll?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Al Borland Korn posted:

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/blog/super-sentai-on-demand

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Al Borland Korn posted:

Jetman no, but Zyuranger through GoGoV are available for free on ShoutFactoryTV (I think some of them may be on Amazon Prime as well).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For free! That rules

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wish I could get into Sentai more. Every time I watch any of their seasons, I wind up wishing I was watching the corresponding Power Rangers season instead.

Like, intellectually, I get that Power Rangers is usually trash, and I should be into its source more. I think it might be the language barrier, I don't know, all I know is that there's this base-level "I'm not interested in this" that permeates every incarnation I watch.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 27, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

I wish I could get into Sentai more. Every time I watch any of their seasons, I wind up wishing I was watching the corresponding Power Rangers season instead.

Like, intellectually, I get that Power Rangers is usually trash. I think it might be the language barrier, I don't know.

For me, the language barrier is what helps me stay more invested in Sentai. The more recent power rangers seasons have such atrocious acting and directing decisions (like the whole "Never let more than 5 seconds go without dialog" idea.)

With Sentai at least, I can't tell as readily if the acting is bad

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

MisterBibs posted:

Like, intellectually, I get that Power Rangers is usually trash, and I should be into its source more. I think it might be the language barrier, I don't know, all I know is that there's this base-level "I'm not interested in this" that permeates every incarnation I watch.

Huh. I'm watching Zyuranger and feel like we got ripped off with the Power Rangers. There are some really great visuals in this. It's definitely got some annoying issues, it's formulaic like the Power Rangers and every episode has to feature a child that needs help, but when things get serious, holy poo poo. I love it. And it's surreal seeing characters like Bandora/Rita communing with Satan.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Jetman for the sheer possibility.

Magiranger for the sheer.... Magiranger.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Is it just me or is Sentai production quality getting pretty lousy nowadays as well? I tried watching a couple episodes of Lupinranger vs Patranger and while there was some nifty staging...sometimes?...overall it just invoked a sense of "cheapness" that I don't remember feeling from other series I've seen.

The last full season I watched was Gokaiger, to be clear.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Is it just me or is Sentai production quality getting pretty lousy nowadays as well? I tried watching a couple episodes of Lupinranger vs Patranger and while there was some nifty staging...sometimes?...overall it just invoked a sense of "cheapness" that I don't remember feeling from other series I've seen.

It's still jsut as cheap. Gokaiger might have more quality because it was a big anniversary season, but I think that budget went into remaking suits rather than anything else, I think, but they probably improved some other stuff with the extra budget. A lot of the LuPat's new camera work feels a little cheap though, but only because it looks like it's clearly from a GoPro or mini cam and it's not been polished up to look like the regular camera footage.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The suits are a big step down from Kyuuranger, but it's hard to not look cheap coming off the series with 12 totally unique suits.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Inkspot posted:

Jetman for the sheer possibility.

Magiranger for the sheer.... Magiranger.

Also Boukenger. People need to watch Boukenger. It’s so good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Morby posted:

Some day I will own that Black Ultimate DaiBouken set, some day...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The suits are a big step down from Kyuuranger, but it's hard to not look cheap coming off the series with 12 totally unique suits.

Kyuuranger cheaped out on the monster costumes as the trade off for having 12 Ranger costumes. There was maybe less than a dozen actual unique monster designs besides the final boss.

LuPat seems to have put their money into new cameras at the cost of less giant robot costumes, but everything else seems pretty standard.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I was thinking about this earlier today at work, and I'm wondering if WashiPink was meant originally to be a humanoid with wings, like Stinger and his tail. She doesn't really match up with the other robot Kyuurangers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Morby posted:

Boukenger is as good as Overdrive isn't.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BrianWilly posted:

Toku is as cheap as they can get away with for ages now, LuPat al least tries to use it's resources for fun shots.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Boukenger is as good as Overdrive isn't.

I love the Boukengers all so much. Blue and his goofy super-spy bullshit. That one episode where their changers are busted and Pink raids an armoury because she's an ex-SDF commando, so she just fights the monster with grenades and an assault rifle. Red being The Best Leader.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I love the Boukengers all so much. Blue and his goofy super-spy bullshit. That one episode where their changers are busted and Pink raids an armoury because she's an ex-SDF commando, so she just fights the monster with grenades and an assault rifle. Red being The Best Leader.

I need to watch Boukenger again now. Sakura is one of my favorite Pinks. :swoon:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, Divatox hatches her most unprecedented plan yet: planting a bomb on a civilian vehicle involved in a race.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's kind of remarkable how so many bomb plots are just NBD in the late 90s, the decade of the WTC bomb from Osama, the Unabomber, and Timothy McVeigh

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

the detonator

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This episode is so loving insane.

Tanya is putting on a play... for a radio station? The play is some combination of West Side Story and Grease? Half the actors are mad because they don't win the fake fight in the fake play, so they challenge the other to a game of chicken... using their real vintage 1950s classic automobiles I guess they own.

One of the organizers basically tells them not to do it, they all tell him to gently caress off, and he just does.

THEY PROCEED TO loving KILL THEMSELVES, if not for being caught by a megazord. This would have happened whether or not Divatox had done anything. In fact, if she hasn't put a bomb on their car the rangers wouldn't have even been looking for them, and they would have just killed themselves successfully.

The power ranger who just saved their lives jumps in one of their cars, grabs their fuzzy dice and tosses it out, where it explodes. The drivers reaction? Is it "Oh my good you saved my life I can't believe how dumb I was!" No, it's "Hey! What the gently caress are you doing that was my lucky pair of dice you rear end in a top hat!"

Also the chimpanzee Bulk and Skull speed racered their way in there. The community theater radio actors don't seem to have much reaction to a loving APE having hidden in their car and grabbing them from behind covering their eyes. THIS IS AN ORDINARY OCCURRENCE AND DOES NOT WARRANT A MENTION.

Divatox complains all the men she fucks prematurely ejaculate. Her nephew heartily laughs.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Al Borland Korn posted:

Divatox complains all the men she fucks prematurely ejaculate. Her nephew heartily laughs.

New thread title

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, Divatox...puts a bomb on a vehicle. Jesus gently caress this is getting old.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't worry eventually she'll put bombs on high school soccer scoreboards.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Look out there a d e t o n a t o r on this bike

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Was she actually planting bombs or just the detonator? Because there's a good reason her plans didn't play out, if the latter.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Was she actually planting bombs or just the detonator? Because there's a good reason her plans didn't play out, if the latter.

Detonator is basically treated as the word for bomb in this show.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can't say bomb.

That's why MMPR had "implosion devices". I think at some point they bandy about "explosive charges" as well.

The idea of Elgar accidentally planting the detonator instead of the bomb, and then the bomb going off on the submarine would be pretty hilarious though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Al Borland Korn posted:

You can't say bomb.

That's why MMPR had "implosion devices". I think at some point they bandy about "explosive charges" as well.

The idea of Elgar accidentally planting the detonator instead of the bomb, and then the bomb going off on the submarine would be pretty hilarious though.

Honestly I kind of like the Elgar screw up theory better.