Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Lord Stimperor posted:

Few things encapsulate CIG's barren imagination more than the design of that terminal UI. Yes, obviously in the future spacefaring societies that run around with Holoscreens on their wrist will return to command line interfaces for their customer-facing kiosks. And yes, certainly it'll display on top what file path that the terminal is accessing because that's totally information a customer would need. It's trying so hard at looking techy that it makes a mockery of the entire SF genre.

Edit: yes I know it's supposed to be paying a hommage to something. But the idea of CIG paying a tongue-in-cheek hommage as opposed to 'ripping off' or 'technobabbling' is not very credible. Paying hommage requires some level of self-awareness.

This might come as a shock, but Chris Roberts is not widely known for being terribly creative or intelligent. I knew I was shocked when I found out.

Stay frosty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

Lord Stimperor posted:

Few things encapsulate CIG's barren imagination more than the design of that terminal UI. Yes, obviously in the future spacefaring societies that run around with Holoscreens on their wrist will return to command line interfaces for their customer-facing kiosks. And yes, certainly it'll display on top what file path that the terminal is accessing because that's totally information a customer would need. It's trying so hard at looking techy that it makes a mockery of the entire SF genre.

Edit: yes I know it's supposed to be paying a hommage to something. But the idea of CIG paying a tongue-in-cheek hommage as opposed to 'ripping off' or 'technobabbling' is not very credible. Paying hommage requires some level of self-awareness.

The last time Chris operated a computer it had a command line interface

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6u4h79

Revolutionary FPS AI

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:swoon:

I'm buying back in, guys

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

quote:

Chris Roberts wants to create gaming’s greatest FPS – we want to know how.

“Everything in Star Citizen has to be as good or better than anything out there. We want to make sure that the combat that you get in Star Citizen isn’t just a dumbed-down version of an FPS. We also want to make sure our FPS has its own personality.”

Nailed the personality goal, at least.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Looks like they tried to reinvent the wheel in regard to NPC "AI"

lol good luck with that.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : Abject failure streaming.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Good grief that UI is loving bad. Press "right bracket" to dismiss a notification? Who came up with those key binds, Derek Smart?

:crobear:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well they do have over 70 keybinds.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Who the gently caress came up with the process to holster your weapon?

Activate interaction mode.
Mouse over your gun.
Select an option from a menu.

Are you loving serious?

actually, it's good to have to look down to holster your gun. safety first!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Virtual Captain posted:

lol good luck with that.

Let's face it, the only thing they haven't tried to reinvent yet is the wheel, and i wouldn't put it past them to try that as well.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

Let's face it, the only thing they haven't tried to reinvent yet is the wheel, and i wouldn't put it past them to try that as well.

If you haven't reinvented the wheel then you aren't leveraging the power in the simple machines.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Agony Aunt posted:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Mouse over your gun.

Are you loving serious?

How to shoot :

Activate interaction mode
Mouse over your gun safety
Select "remove safety"
Mouse over trigger
Select "shoot"
Mouse over arm
Select the level of recoil endurance.

I bet some rear end in a top hat managed to convince Chris to do it the non-fidelitious way.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

trucutru posted:

How to shoot :

Activate interaction mode
Mouse over your gun safety
Select "remove safety"
Mouse over trigger
Select "shoot"
Mouse over arm
Select the level of recoil endurance.

I bet some rear end in a top hat managed to convince Chris to do it the non-fidelitious way.

Feel grief after killing someone.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

The success of my marriage right here.

But the real trick in life is it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Which this loving scam is doing.

Yup. Keep everything in the kiddy pool of expectations. Makes things go a lot better

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poo poo... of course they did that.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
How come those trading consoles immediately know how much UEC you have, what are your ships, and so on? Where is the realism? You should be forced to insert your space-card into them and then use your space-PIN to authenticate yourself. If you use the wrong one three times in a row the space-ATM will keep your card and tell you t visit the closest space-bank succursal.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

holy lol

star citizen never ceases to amaze

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Not to :goonsay: (I'm going to :goonsay:) but the Unimog has portal axles, which operate on similar principles to that. The only difference is they're at the top of the wheel instead of at the bottom like SC's "offroad vehicle".

That would probably be good for lowering the center of gravity, but defeats the purpose of the Unimog's portal axle: more ground clearance.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

What is the truckstop supposed to be an homage too? It looks like all their other lovely corridors just painted !grey.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i can't tell who is being satirized with this

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

trucutru posted:

How come those trading consoles immediately know how much UEC you have, what are your ships, and so on? Where is the realism? You should be forced to insert your space-card into them and then use your space-PIN to authenticate yourself. If you use the wrong one three times in a row the space-ATM will keep your card and tell you t visit the closest space-bank succursal.

Hot space Biometrics.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

BeigeJacket posted:

I think Roberts could own us all again this year with a curveball feature.

He did this last year remember - no-one here was expecting Blade Runner cities.

Ok, so there was no gameplay at all on display but Chris no doubt considered it a triumph.

I’m going to speculate wildly and predict a fancy ship that can bombard the ground from orbit.

There's not doubt he'll have something. Just not sure what it is yet. It'll be just enough to keep them limping on for another year until the next Citcon lol. What a sad man.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Slow_Moe posted:

Good grief that UI is loving bad. Press "right bracket" to dismiss a notification? Who came up with those key binds, Derek Smart?

Press ESC to bring up menu, and ) to dismiss notification.

Press USE to shoot.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Frog Act posted:

It came from here :ssh:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

More lethal than Call of Duty

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

that explains why the comments are spinning a theory about FUDs from starcitizen_refunds and the elite dangerous forums spreading this dangerously seditious image

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Mouse over your gun.

Are you loving serious?

How much money did you give them again? <chuckles like a spaz>

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Slow_Moe posted:

I'm waiting for them to start selling the plastic keyboard overlay that tells you all the bindings, like you used to get in games like F-19 Stealth Fighter. Of course if they made it like their other merch the ink would smear off and it would fit a keyboard for a 1992 Compaq laptop.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

How the gently caress do you fuckup headlights?

Point them at the driver's face.
Point them at other driver's faces.
Replace them with melons.

I like this game.

Edit: String theory kinda has this basis in all decision points being valid expressions of new points in a multiverse of possibility, which raises obvious questions about the sheer size of the space that you'd need for those timelines to exist considering how much space a decade of credit card bills takes up, but it does raise the possibility that there exists a version of Star Citizen that works.

Edit 2: An anti-star citizen, almost.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 24, 2018

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Virtual Captain posted:

lol good luck with that.

when is the next argcast?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Frog Act posted:

that explains why the comments are spinning a theory about FUDs from starcitizen_refunds and the elite dangerous forums spreading this dangerously seditious image

people are in no way really mad about /r/starcitizen_refunds.

In fact, they're laughing.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Mouse over your gun.

Are you loving serious?

Give them time, and they'll gently caress up walking as well.
Press W to move right foot forward.
Press Q to move left foot forward.
Repeat.
More fidelity.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Dogeh posted:

Give them time, and they'll gently caress up walking as well.
Press W to move right foot forward.
Press Q to move left foot forward.
Repeat.
More fidelity.

Someone tell Chris that QWOP is more fidelitous than SC, and wait a few weeks...

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Beet Wagon posted:

people are in no way really mad about /r/starcitizen_refunds.

In fact, they're laughing.
As we all know, many lucid conversations center on whether the debater was angry about something and launched into thousand-word screeds about the matter.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

Point them at the driver's face.
Point them at other driver's faces.
Replace them with melons.

I like this game.

Edit: String theory kinda has this basis in all decision points being valid expressions of new points in a multiverse of possibility, which raises obvious questions about the sheer size of the space that you'd need for those timelines to exist considering how much space a decade of credit card bills takes up, but it does raise the possibility that there exists a version of Star Citizen that works.

Edit 2: An anti-star citizen, almost.

I can get behind string theory. And the whole multiverse of possibility. And then realized it perhaps is a whole pile of poo poo.

You summed it up nicely.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

kw0134 posted:

As we all know, many lucid conversations center on whether the debater was angry about something and launched into thousand-word screeds about the matter.

SC_TheBursar may be slightly invested.

....and he doesn't seem to realize that CiG's largest issues come from very close to their coffee machine.

It's big because of the context. Nice to note that they're pitching 3.3.5 for Mid Q4 and 3.4 for Q4, stacking up two patches during the time of the year with the least productivity outside of that July-August hinterland.

Clovus is currently in this patch. You'll remember he was already in 'polishing'. He remains in 'polishing', but a patch along.

All those locations? 'Polishing', but moved along.

'No fly zones' being developed for the new mid-patch. All the OCS is there, along with Network Entity Streaming and Network Bind Culling.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 24, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

iospace posted:

Not to :goonsay: (I'm going to :goonsay:) but the Unimog has portal axles, which operate on similar principles to that. The only difference is they're at the top of the wheel instead of at the bottom like SC's "offroad vehicle".

That would probably be good for lowering the center of gravity, but defeats the purpose of the Unimog's portal axle: more ground clearance.

It's Chris Roberts not understanding portal axles. That's why it's so funny :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Frog Act posted:

I often was told that I don't understand software development, by people who apparently seem to claim to understand software development. This must make me very dumb since i've spent my whole career in IT and the last 10 years in a software development company.

Apparently some of them though have edited config files, so i know when i'm beat!