Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I post an actually controversial opinion and you guys justt keep talking about Star Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like all the star wars, and I like the extended universe poo poo, even the really bad stuff, because it was star wars and i was getting the poo poo kicked out of me for liking star wars and trying to buy weed in public restrooms. the new star wars is awesome, and i enjoy it and that doesn't make it good but i want to talk about stuff i enjoy but no-one else does because no one else enjoys it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
There is no star wars opinion that is unpopular. Any opinion you have about it is shared by millions of people, whether it's thinking they suck or are overrated, or that you want to gently caress the robots.

Stargate is a more interesting/compelling scifi franchise anyway and they are/were the ones who should be getting huge budget movies. Who needs laser swords and blasters when you can blast a bunch of jaffas with a p90 and some claymores?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Star Wars isn’t sci fi

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The whole arguing about opinions on the internet thing is probably just the start of humanity realising that sentience is a really bad thing and the entire human species is massively mentallly ill and unable to cope with the demands of modern life.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If you buy cheap hotdogs for a cookout then you're a terrible person.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You should eat pizzas with a knife and fork.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Star Wars isn’t sci fi

it's about aliens and it's fiction, what else would it be

and so help me god if you start making things up like "space operas" i'm going to be mildly annoyed and might make a post about it

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's science fantasy.

Science fiction is about exploration of possibilities using best guesses on actual science. Real science fiction is dense and slow and boring for a ton of people.

Star wars is just a fantasy story set in space, so the genre is called science fantasy.

It literally has people fighting with swords and magic.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

So it's a sub-genre of science fiction. It's still accurate to say it's science fiction. Stop trying to do to movies what they did to music with post noise grind megacore or whatever, broad labels are OK.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

So it's a sub-genre of science fiction. It's still accurate to say it's science fiction. Stop trying to do to movies what they did to music with post noise grind megacore or whatever, broad labels are OK.

It’s a subgenre of fantasy. It doesn’t fit any definition of sci-fi.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's fun to argue about popular culture stuff because we all relate to it and nobody gets hurt.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s a subgenre of fantasy. It doesn’t fit any definition of sci-fi.

:yeah:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah, you wouldn't call The Hobbit historical fiction or dark ages sci fi.

PHUO: The Hobbit movies weren't just awful, they retroactively ruined the good LotR movies. Fellowship alone could make me overlook a mountain of criticisms of the later two movies but now I can't see Orlando Bloom or comic relief Gimli or Sir Ian as Gandalf without seeing PS3 cutscene love triangles and stupid sexy Thorin and GandalfxGaladriel. I'd watch an Attack of the Clones threepeat before sitting through the Hobbit trilogy again.

The Star Wars prequels at least have podracing and memes and Ian McDiarmid chewing the scenery like a pro. The Hobbit films have nothing. Who would you rather watch: Hobbit Christopher Lee or COUNT MOTHERFUCKIN DOOKU?

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Sep 24, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That's why there's the scale of sci do hardness. Also the hobbit can't be historical fiction as it's a totally made up thing. It's just fiction. Fantasy, specifically.

Star wars is soft sci fi. Science fantasy works too given that it has literal space wizards but really, it isn't trying to be hard sci fi at all.

Edit: also yes the hobbit trilogy was...not all that good. First one was rad. Second was ok. Third was BORING.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My Star Wars opinion wasn’t intended to be unpopular. I was responding to another post.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Science fiction and fantasy are the same genre.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

docbeard posted:

Science fiction and fantasy are the same genre.

How so?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
There's like 900 music genres now, why not the same for films?

Star Wars is Sci-Fan.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you buy cheap hotdogs for a cookout then you're a terrible person.

:trumppop:

What are you? The wiener police?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Robots and elves are the same thing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

More serious answer: rigid genre definitions are useless, and genre arguments are tedious, but if I had to argue the point, I'd say that neither science fiction nor fantasy is actually a genre as such, since all they really end up impacting is a story's setting. They're modifiers that can be applied to pretty much any genre (romance BUT IN MAGIC LAND, mystery/crime BUT WITH VAMPIRES, political thriller BUT IN SPACE, etc.)

Besides, genres are really just marketing tools. You shouldn't care about them unless you work in a bookstore.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

star trek is also western fantasy but more in the vein of dnd

it's replete with elves, warrior culture barbarians, roman analogues, races with fantastic telepathic powers and the sexual kinks of the creators weigh in heavily on every adventure

hard counter has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Sep 24, 2018

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

hard counter posted:

star trek is also western fantasy but more in the vain of dnd

it's replete with elves, warrior culture barbarians, roman analogues, races with fantastic telepathic powers and the sexual kinks of the creators weigh in heavily on every adventure

Star Trek was literally pitched as a space western in the 60s (Wagon Train BUT IN SPACE), so yeah, pretty much.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Star Wars isn’t sci fi
Sure it is, because "sci-fi" doesn't mean anything any more. Got robots in it? Sci-fi. Set in space? Sci-fi. Super heroes? Sci-fi. Vampires? Sci-fi. Normal people in a realistic setting but maybe something a bit weird or mysterious happens? Sci-fi. The Wizard of Oz? Sci-fi. Everything is sci-fi.

Stop trying to do to movies what they did to music with post noise grind megacore or whatever, broad labels are OK.
It's the other way around; the definition of "sci-fi" has broadened over time.

But genre was a worthless concept to begin with. Even if we used narrower definitions we'd still never agree on what they are or which works fall into particular categories. There's too much nuance for it to ever be possible to sort art into strict categories.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

This all started with someone objecting to saying that star wars and stargate are in the same genre. I'm on the side of broad labels because it doesn't actually matter. It's needlessly pedantic to go all "well actually star wars is a science fantasy" as if that invalidates anything I was trying to say.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Aramek posted:

It's fun to argue about popular culture stuff because we all relate to it and nobody gets hurt.

Exactly. We're suppose to stay away from politics in here and now pop culture and food are being pushed out. The unpopular opinions are going to start getting real specific.

Opinion: All my friends really like Sean, but I think Sean is kind of a dick.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This all started with someone objecting to saying that star wars and stargate are in the same genre.
I would be difficult to make the case that they're not the same content genre. Both involve a combination of futuristic technology and magic. Both are about good guys going on adventures in space to fight bad guys. The biggest difference is that one's a series of movies and the other's on TV so the story structure is different, but that doesn't change whether they're sci-fi, fantasy, science-fantasy or whatever.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I would be difficult to make the case that they're not the same content genre. Both involve a combination of futuristic technology and magic. Both are about good guys going on adventures in space to fight bad guys. The biggest difference is that one's a series of movies and the other's on TV so the story structure is different, but that doesn't change whether they're sci-fi, fantasy, science-fantasy or whatever.

Right, my unpopular opinion was that I would have been more interested in a gigantic budget stargate series of movies than more star wars ones. Even the low budget stargate movies were pretty decent, especially Continuum.

Overall I find it easier to "immerse" myself mentally in a story about the US military blowing poo poo up they don't understand, often by accident, than a bunch of space monks with lasers that shoot lightning out of their hands.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If I write a story where an elf discovers he has special magic powers and learns to fight with a sword and ride a dragon and his dragon destroys the bad guy base with fire breath, it doesn’t change genres if I change him to a psychic alien with a laser sword and an archaeotech ship that fires singularity photon taser beams

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
Regarding Sci-fi vs. fantasy, I was always under the impression that Sci-fi was typically supposed to be focused on exploring the future whereas fantasy was more backward focused.

I agree with the people that have posted that it's largely genre semantics that don't really matter; a good story is a good story regardless of whether it includes spaceships or dragons, science or magic.

The problem is when people point to one thing (like that there's space travel or aliens) and immediately try to put it in a specific box. It's obvious that George Lucas used many elements of classical fairy tales in Star Wars and just updated it with a futuristic setting. This is a series that includes lots of fairy tale staples such as: a wise old wizard who teaches magic, a hero that comes from humble beginnings, talking animals, sword fights and rescuing a literal princess. And, most telling of all, every movie starts the exact way all classic fairy tales do: "Once a long, long time ago in a land galaxy far far away..."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yes, it's all just semantics. Star Wars is a fantasy story in a sci fi setting and I wouldn't fault anyone for using either descriptor.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Starship Troopers gets better with each additional film.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
starship troopers is the ram ranch of movie series

Caufman
May 7, 2007
They are up to five films now. Five hard films with five different shower scenes. A hard shower scene in every hard film.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
18 naked troopers in the showers at starship troopers!
big hard throbbing bugs wanting to be sucked!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was absolutely no reason for Dizzy to get such a big military funeral. She was just a grunt, not even an officer.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Starship Troopers is Generation Kill for folks without HBO or Amazon Prime and also want Fruity Rudy to have female breasts.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Throw pillows are the dumbest thing that basically everyone has in their house. Having 20 pillows on your bed doesn't make it look good. It certainly doesn't make it look comfortable/inviting, because you know if you ever want to lay down on it you have to chuck all those on the floor which will get you yelled at.

The only thing you should do with throw pillows is throw them in the trash. They exist only to cause arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the popularity of releasing movies and shows only on streaming services is going to lead to a lot of stuff getting lost forever. Like those old silent films that are gone forever.