Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

"We have evidence of illegal votes having been cast and are investing the election, results pending the investigation's completion."
Again, I know it's more than a bit irrational, but it's still a fear I can't help shaking. Mostly because, you know, every single argument against them doing a soft coup ultimately can be dismissed with 'why the gently caress would people who have repeatedly, in words and deeds, shown a complete disdain for democracy behave according to democratic principles?'

They are already blatantly ignoring loving treason. Is blatantly ignoring the results of an election really that big a jump from there?

The states are in charge of certifying the elections. The feds are almost powerless in that regard. Trump can cry all he wants on Twitter about voter fraud, but he can do almost nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Google Butt posted:

It's hilarious to me that the wh still thinks their slick enough to trick people into thinking he resigned

Hey, if you can sell the lie that Trump is a man qualified to be in the White House, I think a bit of pride in your abilities to sell bullshit is justified.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Google Butt posted:

It's hilarious to me that the wh still thinks their slick enough to trick people into thinking he resigned

Even Fox is currently pushing the "he's fired" angle. I don't know what they're doing.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
jesus, what the gently caress is going on. I'm just going to bail out here and wait for news at the end of the day

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Roll up, roll up, come and see the circus

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

We have reports of a CAT 4 political shitstorm rapidly growing with potential to hit CAT 5 as early as later this afternoon.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Wait there is a fourth accuser now against Kavanaugh. When did this happen.

afaik these are the women who have stepped forward:

Dr. Ford, accused BK of sexual assault / attempted rape in high school
Debbie Ramirez, BK pulled out his dick and forced it in her face as freshmen in college
?? unnamed woman represented by Avenatti, has witnesses that corroborate, seems to involve BK and other men running a "train" (gang rape)

who would be the fourth you're referencing?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

nerdz posted:

jesus, what the gently caress is going on. I'm just going to bail out here and wait for news at the end of the day

and what, miss out on a whole week's worth of news by 5PM?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

"We have evidence of illegal votes having been cast and are investing the election, results pending the investigation's completion."

Once again: elections are run by state governments, not federal. You can't "results pending" them except for recounts, for which states have their own existing laws.

quote:

Again, I know it's more than a bit irrational, but it's still a fear I can't help shaking.

Have you considered admitting that the hell scenario that you're coming up with doesn't make any sense with how the government is actually structured? The federal government doesn't verify elections for congress. States elect congressmen, then send them off to Washington.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darko posted:

Even Fox is currently pushing the "he's fired" angle. I don't know what they're doing.

i would love to know what their spin on this is

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Hey, if you can sell the lie that Trump is a man qualified to be in the White House, I think a bit of pride in your abilities to sell bullshit is justified.

Get your poo poo together and pull yourself up by the nothing matters straps

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Pellisworth posted:

The n+1 theory of sexual predation.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So what music do you think Rosenstein listened to as he drove over to the WH?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1044241454137331712

The trumpee version

quote:

One Trump adviser said the president has not been pressuring Rosenstein to leave the job, but his resignation had been a topic of private discussions all weekend. The person said Rosenstein had expressed to others that he should resign because he “felt very compromised” and was now a potential witness in the Russia probe rather than a supervisor, according to a person close to Trump.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

fishing with the fam posted:

The n+1 theory of sexual predation.

Also known as the FFFFFFourth of July

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Tony Gunk posted:

The states are in charge of certifying the elections. The feds are almost powerless in that regard. Trump can cry all he wants on Twitter about voter fraud, but he can do almost nothing.

Thanks, and that's reassuring. Like I said, I know it's an irrational fear, but the thing about fear is that it is seldom soothed by rational appeal.
And, frankly, Trump scares me far less than his enablers. He's a deranged buffoon. Without the GOP apparatus propping him up and enabling him, he'd still just be some idiot racist on Twitter. His malice is entirely neutered by his ineptitude, and the fact he has been able to hurt people at all while president - or even became president at all - is entirely on the GOP.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Pellisworth posted:

Debbie Ramirez, BK pulled out his dick and forced it in her face as freshmen in college
?? unnamed woman represented by Avenatti, has witnesses that corroborate, seems to involve BK and other men running a "train" (gang rape)

There's a report that police are investigating some highschool incident. It could be Avenatti's client, or it could not.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Bloomberg also has a source saying he resigned. WaPo felt comfortable enough to run the resignation story. NBC saying he won't resign. Someone's definitely hosed up.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

What the gently caress IS GOING ON? Every outlet has a conflicting story. Do I lace up my marching boots or not?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Reik posted:

Maybe Rosenstein said I'll resign and let you replace me with the Vacancies Act if you give authority over the Mueller investigation to person X and the WH knew person X wouldn't fire Mueller?

this is my guess, and the white house is leaking this as "offered to resign"

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

friendbot2000 posted:

What the gently caress IS GOING ON? Every outlet has a conflicting story. Do I lace up my marching boots or not?

The answer is always yes.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I think the simple answer is people at the White House are purposely sending out conflicting reports because chaos is the strategy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Important to remember that Rosenstein is a Federalist Society zealot who is part and parcel of the fascists taking over our judicial system.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

Bloomberg also has a source saying he resigned. WaPo felt comfortable enough to run the resignation story. NBC saying he won't resign. Someone's definitely hosed up.
welcome to news in the twitter age, where getting 17 likes 2 seconds before everyone else is more important than being certain you have the facts

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DynamicSloth posted:

It sounds like he is out in any case, it is just a fired vs made to resign. Which is about the same as shooting someone vs leaving them in a locked room with a single bullet.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

LegendaryFrog posted:

The answer is always yes.

Granted, but this time determines if I grab my torches and pitchforks or not

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DynamicSloth posted:

WH staffers are dialing every journalist they leak to and trying to push the narrative he resigned.

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It sounds like he is out in any case, it is just a fired vs made to resign. Which is about the same as shooting someone vs leaving them in a locked room with a single bullet.

They're extremely different in this case.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1044238889827872768

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quote:

One Trump adviser said the president has not been pressuring Rosenstein to leave the job, but his resignation had been a topic of private discussions all weekend. The person said Rosenstein had expressed to others that he should resign because he “felt very compromised” and was now a potential witness in the Russia probe rather than a supervisor, according to a person close to Trump.

The adviser also said Rosenstein was feeling like he was "on a rigged witch hunt, no collusion", and that he was afraid to become "the 18th angry democrat".

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

mcmagic posted:

Important to remember that Rosenstein is a Federalist Society zealot who is part and parcel of the fascists taking over our judicial system.

Yeah, he is definitely one of Them. As usual, the #Resist morons made a hero out of the wrong guy.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kavanaugh-may-face-4th-sexual-misconduct-allegation-report

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Oh my Christ they're actually doing it. Monday Morning Massacre up in this bitch.

Of course, trying to paint it like he's resigned is pretty easily countered by "Okay, show me my resignation letter." At which point they try and stick to "He resigned verbally" which is really plausible for someone so highly placed in the government's legal apparatus, nobody so situated would bother with a letter, it's exactly like giving your two weeks at loving Gamestop.

Or they just try to forge one, which would be even funnier.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

So what music do you think Rosenstein listened to as he drove over to the WH?

In a throwback to the elevator scene, Rod white-knuckles his jet black BMW over to the WH to "Rockin' in the Free World." I feel like the writers are really finally coming into their own.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
My guess on the conflicting reports is that Rod did indeed offer to resign, under certain conditions. The White House refused. So now he’s standing firm and daring them to fire him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

1337JiveTurkey posted:

We have reports of a CAT 4 political shitstorm rapidly growing with potential to hit CAT 5 as early as later this afternoon.

You know it's not so much the wind damage from Trump's mouth, it's the record levels of flooding

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

YMB posted:

They're extremely different in this case.

How so? Other than optics

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Endorph posted:

i would love to know what their spin on this is

I have it on, and they aren't spinning it yet. I think it's because the news fell during one of their less nonsenscial host hours.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol Trump is in NY and by at the White House. So he wouldn’t even be the one firing Rod! Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way

DreamShipWrecked posted:

How so? Other than optics

Fired requires senate approval for his replacement. Resigned doesn't.

• Locked thread