Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Androminion w/Nocturne

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I've been playing just Base+Seaside for a while, and really wanted an excuse to pick up Nocturne. A lot of it looked really fun (Night cards, Heirlooms, more Durations) but I knew I'd get tired really quick of Boons and Hexes. And the additional complexity would probably have wound up being a turnoff for the people I usually play with.

Which has left me looking for another expansion. As someone who really likes Seaside, Adventures seemed good and promises more of what I liked but again the added complexity feels like it'd be too much. And Guilds/Cornucopia still haven't been reprinted so that rules those out too. Prosperity I frequently see recommended but as much as I love engines a set that has a selling point of making games/turns longer probably wouldn't go over quite as well.

Now I'm just trying to decide between Intrigue 2nd Edition or Hinterlands. They both seem relatively less complex, and both contain cards supporting alt-vp strategies that could be a nice shakeup. I'm leaning a bit towards Intrigue currently due to simplicity while still having some nice interaction and the modal cards, but Hinterlands has a lot of interesting cards as well. Between those two, which would probably offer the most?

Intrigue Card List | Hinterlands Card List

Hinterlands has more cards that are situationally powerful in some games but kinda useless in others, though they also work better with each other than with other expansions it seems like. Intrigue's cards are usually going to be decent in whatever game they're in but rarely shine on their own with a few exceptions. Hinterlands is more focused on gaining cards mid-turn and gain effects in general, while Intrigue is more about giving you options with your cards and kinda supplementing the basic functions that the Base set gives you.

In general I'd recommend Intrigue, but if the Hinterlands cards seem up your alley go for it.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mega64 posted:

Androminion w/Nocturne

Intrigue Card List | Hinterlands Card List

Hinterlands has more cards that are situationally powerful in some games but kinda useless in others, though they also work better with each other than with other expansions it seems like. Intrigue's cards are usually going to be decent in whatever game they're in but rarely shine on their own with a few exceptions. Hinterlands is more focused on gaining cards mid-turn and gain effects in general, while Intrigue is more about giving you options with your cards and kinda supplementing the basic functions that the Base set gives you.

In general I'd recommend Intrigue, but if the Hinterlands cards seem up your alley go for it.

Thanks for the advice, I think I probably will just go with Intrigue. Somewhat related, but since I'll have three sets worth of cards, I think I should probably find a better storage solution. Is the Broken Token box insert reliable for the price? Looking at the card counts I should be able to sleeve up and store three expansions in one box using one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm always a fan of Broken Token's stuff. If you want to future-proof a bit, you could get their card case that is a standalone rather than an insert. It's filed under "longer harder wood" since it was originally for CAH, but there's an option for a blank one or one with a Dominion logo.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

After a few months playing with Nocturne active on dominion.games, I'd recommend it be the last expansion you buy for real-life play (aside from maybe Alchemy). It has too much of all the things I like least in Dominion: randomness, fiddliness, cards that don't really complement other expansions very well. Intrigue 2nd edition is still the very first expansion I'd recommend.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

After a few months playing with Nocturne active on dominion.games, I'd recommend it be the last expansion you buy for real-life play (aside from maybe Alchemy). It has too much of all the things I like least in Dominion: randomness, fiddliness, cards that don't really complement other expansions very well. Intrigue 2nd edition is still the very first expansion I'd recommend.

I mostly like Nocturne, but I find it very silly that any time you need Boons you also need the Will-O-Wisp pile. Also, Hexes are super swingy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

rchandra posted:

I mostly like Nocturne, but I find it very silly that any time you need Boons you also need the Will-O-Wisp pile.

Yeah this is my biggest gripe. Not that there is extra piles of poo poo to put out, cause we've dealt with that in the past, but that there are branching requirements which can quickly take over your table space and lead to multiple return trips to the box.

Anecdote time: the second game of Nocturne we played had both Tormentor and Fool in it. Fool comes with both it's Heirloom as well as the "Lost in the Woods" state card, which is a couple extra things to add to setup and we also realized to put out the Hexes and the Boons for each. Before we officially started playing as everyone was reading the cards someone asked "wait what's Imp" and that was our first trip back to the box. Next someone bought and played Fool and one of the first three was "gain a Will-O-Wisp" which was the second return to the box. Finally, someone got Tormentor and we got to the first Hex that required a state, and that was the third and final return trip to get poo poo out of the box.

Like the Travellers might have more piles but they are all packaged together. Fool comes packaged with its Heirloom and state card but you have to remember to get Boons and then since you're getting Boons you need Will-O-Wisp. Tormentor requires Imp and Hexes which also require you to remember states. Leprechaun is similar to Tormentor in that you need another pile (Wishes) which is only stated in the text of the card, plus the Hexes, plus the extra poo poo for Hexes. There's no card tag for Spirits or Wishes, and there's multiple Spirits in their slot anyway.

There's quite a few cards that have multiple disparate things to keep track of while setting up. It's just a little disorganized and feels like it could be a little more polished and streamlined.

EDIT: Oh also there's Secret Cave and Cemetery which come with Heirlooms that require you to read the text of the Heirloom itself to figure out what extra poo poo you need to put in

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I found out today that you can nest Crowns inside of Black Market to get actions inside of your action.

So, I had Prince on Black Market, and then played Crown on Smithy to draw 6 cards while inside the market, and then plated a bunch more treasures including another Crown on a Treasury, and now that I had 3 actions (1 base, since this was a Prince'd BM, and then 2 more from the Crowned Treasury), I played Watchtower to draw back up to 6.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

I found out today that you can nest Crowns inside of Black Market to get actions inside of your action.

So, I had Prince on Black Market, and then played Crown on Smithy to draw 6 cards while inside the market, and then plated a bunch more treasures including another Crown on a Treasury, and now that I had 3 actions (1 base, since this was a Prince'd BM, and then 2 more from the Crowned Treasury), I played Watchtower to draw back up to 6.

Holll-eeee poo poo

That is mind blowing but makes so much sense, and is the exact kind of crazy combo I love this game for

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Does anyone else think the envoy promo bears an uncanny resemblance to someone?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone uses the Complete Dominion Companion document off BGG, version 5.0 just got released

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/68210/complete-dominion-companion

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
New expansion, Dominion Renaissance, announced.

300 cards, 25 new Kingdom cards.

So this is overall a smaller expansion than Nocturne; which had 500 cards/33 Kingdom Cards.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 5, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It never ends.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rad news.

Return of coin tokens sounds cool and the addition of action tokens is a good twist on that concept (I suppose a "+1 card" token doesn't make much sense)

Looks like barring 12 stack victory cards or Rats/Port shenanigans, there are ~50 cards left for Artifacts and Projects and any non-supply cards.

Based on the description of "fighting over" Artifacts, I'm guessing they're in the vein of Landmarks where they are watching for some condition, but maybe give you an effect or non-supply card rather than victory points?

Really no idea what Projects are but just based on the name maybe they are an Event variant that pays off over time or requires multiple rounds of "funding" to get the benefit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There's fewer cards than that available for non Kingdom stuff, bare minimum of 250 kingdom cards and 25 randomizers leaves only 25 cards left over.

Artifacts or Projects could be a card type and be part of Kingdom cards...but that seems doubtful especially for Projects.

The wording kinda reminds me of the Great Projects from 7 Wonders: Babel, there might be some non-card, non-token content in the box too

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

There's fewer cards than that available for non Kingdom stuff, bare minimum of 250 kingdom cards and 25 randomizers leaves only 25 cards left over.

Artifacts or Projects could be a card type and be part of Kingdom cards...but that seems doubtful especially for Projects.

The wording kinda reminds me of the Great Projects from 7 Wonders: Babel, there might be some non-card, non-token content in the box too

OH duh, randomizers, knew I was forgetting something

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Rad news.

Return of coin tokens sounds cool and the addition of action tokens is a good twist on that concept (I suppose a "+1 card" token doesn't make much sense)

Looks like barring 12 stack victory cards or Rats/Port shenanigans, there are ~50 cards left for Artifacts and Projects and any non-supply cards.

Based on the description of "fighting over" Artifacts, I'm guessing they're in the vein of Landmarks where they are watching for some condition, but maybe give you an effect or non-supply card rather than victory points?

Really no idea what Projects are but just based on the name maybe they are an Event variant that pays off over time or requires multiple rounds of "funding" to get the benefit.

Action tokens are very unappealing to me, it's like Adventures in using out-of-deck stuff to give you more consistency. Coin tokens already did that but the effect is much smaller. Not sure if this will be my second skipped expansion, Artifacts and Projects might be good.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

rchandra posted:

Action tokens are very unappealing to me, it's like Adventures in using out-of-deck stuff to give you more consistency. Coin tokens already did that but the effect is much smaller. Not sure if this will be my second skipped expansion, Artifacts and Projects might be good.

My hope is that the post-Dark Ages pattern (since Dark Ages was the original planned end) will continue to be a more experimental and component crazy light expansion (Adventures, Nocturne) followed by a more technical and strategic expansion (Empires and hopefully Renaissance).

Action tokens seem like a fairly straightforward spin on coin tokens (now called coffers) without as much tracking and upkeep as the Adventures tokens, and hopefully with a few clever implementations. Likewise, Artifacts and Projects seem like they drive the whole "alternate paths to victory" and Artifacts in particular seem poised to push more player interaction which is really nice. I'm always sold on more variety usually anyway, so I'm just excited to see what else he has up his sleeve.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Can someone spec me a good kingdom generator for Android? Whichever one I had on my old phone seems to have been withdrawn.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Jack of all Dominion has everything I want in a randomizer and a few things I hadn't even realized I wanted, like limiting a kingdom to cards from n expansions.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
To use this thread to brag about a combo I spotted: game w/ Donate, Death Cart and Grand Market, use the first two buys for a Silver and Cart, then Donate to trash down to just those two and the two ruins that come with the Cart. Then keep buying Markets and a ruin to throw to the Cart until I was able to buy Colonies. Cleanest Donate game I ever played.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This is a long shot....but ok the off chance someone has a Second Edition-style printing of Prosperity, I'd love to buy your Platinums and Colonies off you. I want all my Base cards to match

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Donald X. posted:

Prepare to be teased.

Renaissance has:
- 25 kingdom cards, 25 sideways cards, 12 wooden cubes, 6 playmats, and 35 tokens
- three Treasures, two Attacks, two Duration cards, and one Reaction
- fifteen uses for tokens
- sixteen uses of "trash"
- a card with a word in quotation marks on it
- a card with only 3 words on it; a card with only 4 words on it
- three ways to play Actions in your Buy phase
- a way to take a turn after the game would otherwise be over
- a trasher you can't turn off
- something that cares about shuffling

Official previews start Monday

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Guy A. Person posted:

- something that cares about shuffling

L M F A O

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Teaser's up and Dominion Online has preview cards up too. I like this guy

"There's no other trashing on the board, what the hell are you going to do?"

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Mountain Village is highly situational but will be great with cards like Oasis and Secret Cave.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't think it's all that situational, pulling the best card out of your discard directly into your hand is pretty powerful, especially on a village. It will also combo well with gainers since you can gain a card then immediately use it, and make sifting a lot quicker and easier in general. As far as a "village with a bonus" it's pretty solid, since a lot of times you're paying 4 for a village anyway.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, of the selection that one leapt out at me as being useful. In boards w/ Militia's it's much less good, as you're going to be picking up that copper you could stand to lose. Priest works when you can line it up w/ a throne room, I'm not sure how good it is when you can only play it once though. Village/Priest/[second trasher] leaves not a lot of room left in your hand. I guess Lurker would be a fun combo? Scholar works really well if you've can find payload in the actions, pairs nicely with Festival.
I have no opinions on cards outside of the base set, as it happens.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CaptainRightful posted:

Mountain Village is highly situational but will be great with cards like Oasis and Secret Cave.

+2 Actions, draw a Gold/Smithy for $4 is not "highly situational". It's immensely strong in the late game and is a huge enabler for fatter decks who won't empty their discard so often.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It turns out that Priest works really well w/ the Ritual event. Spend $4, trash a card to get its cost in VP, gain $[2xPriests in play] immediately and a curse to trash w/ the Priest later on.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

+2 Actions, draw a Gold/Smithy for $4 is not "highly situational". It's immensely strong in the late game and is a huge enabler for fatter decks who won't empty their discard so often.

OK, not "highly", but in many situations, particularly early game, it's objectively worse than plain ol' Village.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

My first Priest game was with Death Cart which was a prime combo because it got extra junk to trash and Priest -> Death Cart already makes $9. I still did run into the issue of having to trash 2 of the cards in your hand with two of the other cards in your hand which doesn't leave a ton of leeway. Admittedly the person I was playing wasn't that great so I just ended up trashing 2 of my provinces to replace them and end the game.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CaptainRightful posted:

OK, not "highly", but in many situations, particularly early game, it's objectively worse than plain ol' Village.

Early game is when you're gaining good cards and want to get them into your hand instead of all the garbage you start with, and guaranteeing that the new $5 you bought is automatically paired with extra actions is potentially huge. Early game villages are usually a lovely buy for this exact reason; they usually don't net you anything and the odds of pairing them with 2 of the few terminals you have is usually low.

Also the "objective" part is that it costs a $ more, and like I said earlier usually at the point where you are gaining villages you're likely fine paying $4 for them anyway. "Highly situational" is being at the point you need to start buying villages but keep getting stuck at $3; either your deck is already hosed at that point or you didn't really need that village yet anyway.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

OK, just played a few preview rounds with Mountain Village and, even though the bot is already easy to beat, I haven't seen a board yet where it wasn't worth buying.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
I am loving that these cards are a return to more simple concepts. These are real good fun.

Just had a game with Priest, Scholar, Forager, Port, Minion, Market and Triumph! Was such a cool engine. Trash loads of cards for loads of money and buys, drawing with scholar after turning all my minions into 2 coin (or as draw for backup with bad draws) then go crazy with Triumph. Very reliable and great fun.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

H2Omelon posted:

I am loving that these cards are a return to more simple concepts. These are real good fun.

This. I haven't played with these yet but I have played with both Adventures and Empires (but not Nocture) and that poo poo is just wacky. I'm glad to see them finding simple design space.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The worst thing about dominion.games is that it includes Black Market in ranked games.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CaptainRightful posted:

The worst thing about dominion.games is that it includes Black Market in ranked games.

Same but Knights

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

New preview is up. The theme is action tokens, which he's calling villagers. More pretty cool, but simple cards.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=19010.0

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Biscuits posted:

New preview is up. The theme is action tokens, which he's calling villagers. More pretty cool, but simple cards.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=19010.0

Oh these are good. Recruiter is gonna be absolutely bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Acting Troupe is the most thematic preview yet. They bring villagers to the show, and after the show they leave to get trashed.