Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

ToxicSlurpee posted:

When I was job hunting after college there were people who kept telling me to just beat the pavement and keep putting in paper applications everywhere you could find. I just looked at them with the most annoyed expression I could muster before just telling them I was sending applications and resumes out through the internet as that's how it's done now. Any place that you can actually still apply to in person points you at a kiosk that just goes to that website in the end. Paper applications are a thing of the past and, guess what, it isnt 1973 anymore.

Getting a high end gadget is expensive but you can get a free phone by just signing an agreement for two years. Won't impress anybody but it'll make phone calls and look at websites.

We had and maybe still have official state job boards here that the state mostly used to justify loving up unemployment bennies. Long story but you'd hear about how many jobs there were posted on them so why do we have so many unemployed people? First snag was that most of them were nursing or trucking but lol gently caress you if you couldn't afford to train for either or couldn't do them. Second was that they pointed to state wide openings while ignoring that a lot if unemployed people were nowhere near them, couldn't afford the move, or couldn't afford the commute. It isn't required by law to post there but a lot of places won't even put up now hiring signs as the job market nearby is so horrid they'll get a deluge of apps.

I tried the state job board was a long time ago. The only lead I got was a government job for $8,000 a year 40 miles away. I got told to apply for all the nursing jobs anyway even though it would have been a horrid waste of time. Yes, I'm sure they'll consider a high school graduate with no nursing certs for jobs that require certs and college degrees. Totally. Get right on it.

I understand your concern and can relate as I have been required to sign up for sites like that, which I never used because it was basically all posts searching nursing jobs and CDL drivers, but I think that there is a fair bit of difference between "impractical way to punish the poor and disenfranchised" and "open-to-everyone centralised source of employment information that combats information asymmetry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Be wary of this argument. Usual old appliances are worse, especiall for efficient use of resource. There is also the bias of survivorship, when you have 50 year old refrigerator that is working, you just see it worked for 50 year, without seeing the other 100 fridge built at same factory of same model on the same day that went into landfill many years prior.

Cars have gone up in reliability almost every year for decades and also every year for decades every survey has people estimating cars are going down in reliability. People like the idea things are getting worse even if stuff legitimately measurably isn't.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
By every single reasonable metric, average standard of living has gone up in the United States for the last 50 years. Even for people in the bottom 20%.

Admitting that things are better for the average person is not conceding that everything is perfect or saying that nothing needs to fixed.

Even with healthcare and education significantly outpacing wages, the decrease in costs for almost everything else and the increase in wages means that the average person in the U.S. has more disposable income at the end of the day after they pay for food, housing, education, healthcare, transportation, and clothing than they did in the "golden age" of the 1950's.

Inflation-adjusted median household income, median disposable income, and employment are all at or near record levels this year.

That doesn't even include the non-monetary things like the incredible access to information or "black people can live in a neighborhood with white people" that have improved the lives of the bottom quintile.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 24, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Cars have gone up in reliability almost every year for decades and also every year for decades every survey has people estimating cars are going down in reliability. People like the idea things are getting worse even if stuff legitimately measurably isn't.

Try explaining that to someone that feels very strongly that their anecdotes are as relevant as data. I would say old people continue to be the worst but I've seen plenty of people my age and younger trot out the "they keep making things worse and worse so you have to buy more" argument.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Your TV breaks.

In the past you called Joe the electrician who lives three blocks away, and he’d come and fix your TV. If it was a really common and tedious-but-easy repair he might even tell you how to do it yourself to avoid wasting time on barely- profitable repair jobs. Hence, your TV was “reliable” in that it would last 20 years as long as you did minor repairs every six months as it got older.

Nowadays Joe is retired and new TVs can’t be easily repaired with a $10 drainpipe soldering iron and replacement capacitors large enough that you can still replace them after having had ten beers. So even though a modern TV might only fail once every three years it feels unreliable because if it fails you either ship it back to the manufacturer and have to wait two months to get it back or you just end up buying a new one because chances are it’s uneconomical to pay the manufacturer’s repair rates for a cheap consumer TV.
e: You could probably still replace one $1 failed component on a PCB somewhere or just buy the PCB for $50 from a replacement part stockist, but typical consumers like you don’t know what to replace and where to buy the spare part unless they tinker with electronics as a hobby.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 24, 2018

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

DrNutt posted:

Try explaining that to someone that feels very strongly that their anecdotes are as relevant as data. I would say old people continue to be the worst but I've seen plenty of people my age and younger trot out the "they keep making things worse and worse so you have to buy more" argument.
Companies do whatever makes them more money. In the case of cars, people actually give a poo poo about long term reliability so that's been steadily improved upon. In the case of, say, smartphones, anything over three years old is practically ancient so it's not super important to last a really long time.

Of course, all other things being equal, everyone would prefer more reliable stuff. But all other things aren't equal. The repairability example is a good one, smartphones and TV's aren't very repairable because it's hard to do that while also making them very thin and (reasonably) inexpensive and other traits that people actually base their purchasing decision on. Almost nobody is like, "I know, I wanna get my next phone from the most reliable manufacturer".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cicero posted:

Of course, all other things being equal, everyone would prefer more reliable stuff. But all other things aren't equal. The repairability example is a good one, smartphones and TV's aren't very repairable because it's hard to do that while also making them very thin and (reasonably) inexpensive and other traits that people actually base their purchasing decision on. Almost nobody is like, "I know, I wanna get my next phone from the most reliable manufacturer".

Apart from battery life issues, I have owned exactly two pieces of technology that have had any sort of actual equipment failure during their useful lives. Maybe I'm just very lucky, but I get the feeling that most gadgets are already sufficiently reliable.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PT6A posted:

Apart from battery life issues, I have owned exactly two pieces of technology that have had any sort of actual equipment failure during their useful lives. Maybe I'm just very lucky, but I get the feeling that most gadgets are already sufficiently reliable.

I feel like most goons probably take better care of their poo poo than the average person. I am essentially walking tech support for my extended family because everyone else drops poo poo, spills things on their stuff, gets viruses installed on their computers and phones, etc and it's always the manufacturer's fault, not because they can't take better care of their things.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

DrNutt posted:

People like to pretend that things weren’t manufactured to a price point in the past. We’ve always made goods as cheaply as possible. We’ve also made advancements in material science, product design, and product assembly that allow us to make even cheaper goods, and often they are of objectively better quality.

People also love to ignore inflation in their cost comparisons. My grandparents bought a stereo for $800 in 1964. That’s over $6000 in today’s terms. Spend that same amount and you will absolutely get equipment of the same build quality, and with performance that far exceeds what was expected in 1964.

And let’s also ignore that $800 spent today would also get you equipment that is objectively better in every measurable way, except for the weight of the chassis.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PT6A posted:

My Samsung Galaxy S3 from the end of 2012 is still going strong and I have generally had good luck with TVs.

Smart phones seem to be pretty structurally sound, but are much easier to break from user error (i.e. dropped in toilet or on concrete) than older cell phones or any other expensive piece of technology.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

By every single reasonable metric, average standard of living has gone up in the United States for the last 50 years. Even for people in the bottom 20%.

Admitting that things are better for the average person is not conceding that everything is perfect or saying that nothing needs to fixed.

Even with healthcare and education significantly outpacing wages, the decrease in costs for almost everything else and the increase in wages means that the average person in the U.S. has more disposable income at the end of the day after they pay for food, housing, education, healthcare, transportation, and clothing than they did in the "golden age" of the 1950's.

Inflation-adjusted median household income, median disposable income, and employment are all at or near record levels this year.

That doesn't even include the non-monetary things like the incredible access to information or "black people can live in a neighborhood with white people" that have improved the lives of the bottom quintile.

(Squints) The 50% contribution vs time does have an overall average positive slope so this is correct.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 24, 2018

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hey you might be living in a box under a bridge but at least you have YouTube!
This but unironically

YouTube is great

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

PT6A posted:

do you like your home cool? i have had a similar sort of effect and all i can figure is because i like my space very cold.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

My Samsung Galaxy S3 from the end of 2012 is still going strong and I have generally had good luck with TVs.

Smart phones seem to be pretty structurally sound, but are much easier to break from user error (i.e. dropped in toilet or on concrete) than older cell phones or any other expensive piece of technology.

Yeah, exactly. Unless you want consumer grade electronics to be armoured to the point you can’t gently caress them up through negligent behaviour, I don’t know what further advancements you could ask for.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There are still different grades of reliability in there. Just look at the physical durability of a typical Playstation console against the typical Nintendo console.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I'm pretty sure that chart is neither median nor inflation-adjusted.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

quote:

Sears is running out of time to fix its problems, the CEO says.
Eddie Lampert, who controls most of the company's shares through his hedge fund, told the board on Monday that it must address "significant near-term constraints" in its cash position.

He cited $134 million in debt payments due October 15.

Lampert has proposed that Sears sell its Kenmore appliance brand, as well as real estate and other assets, to pay down what it owes. In the letter, which was also filed with regulators, he said progress must be made "without delay."

Lampert did not use the word "bankruptcy," but he raised the possibility that creditors could be wiped out, a process that often takes place in bankruptcy court, without immediate action.

He also said it was in the best interest of stakeholders to "accomplish this as a going concern" — language that suggested the company could be forced out of business.

Lampert's hedge fund is a major holder of Sears debt. In August, he offered to have the hedge fund buy Kenmore for $400 million, and to purchase its home improvement business for as much as $80 million more.

He would like to see Sears sell a total of $1.75 billion in non-real estate assets to raise the cash to pay down debt. He did not identify what other assets could be sold to raise that kind of money.

Lampert also proposes selling another $1.5 billion in real estate. And he would like Sears to restructure about $1.1 billion in debt, persuading some creditors either to accept Sears equity in return or to accept 25 cents on the dollar for what they are owed.

Sears Holdings (SHLD), which owns both Sears and Kmart, has lost $11.7 billion since 2010, its last profitable year. Sales have plunged 60% in that time. But Lampert insists that the company can be profitable again.

Because Lampert is CEO and also proposing to purchase assets, the decision on his proposed debt restructuring rests with the company's independent board members.

The company issued a statement saying it's pursuing the plan outlined in Lampert's proposal, with the advice of legal and financial advisers. But it said it could not make any guarantees.

Sears debt already has the lowest possible credit rating from Standard & Poor's, which suggests it could default on debt within the next six months.

"I don't know if we'd go as far as to say there's a drop-dead date," said Robert Schulz, chief retail credit analyst with S&P. "But it sounds like it's trying to advance on a more accelerated plan."

source: https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/24/news/companies/sears-eddie-lampert/index.html

The looting of Sears' corpse continues.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

People do forget how awful life was for most westerners a half century, a century ago. We have essentially started from very low standards of living but since you start from near 0 for so many persons, even massive improvement percent still is little amount for many person.

golden bubble posted:

There are still different grades of reliability in there. Just look at the physical durability of a typical Playstation console against the typical Nintendo console.

There is no different? If anything person with Wii was more likely to break a thing than with Playstation at same time, those remote controls broke many TV lol.

suck my woke dick posted:

Your TV breaks.

In the past you called Joe the electrician who lives three blocks away, and he’d come and fix your TV. If it was a really common and tedious-but-easy repair he might even tell you how to do it yourself to avoid wasting time on barely- profitable repair jobs. Hence, your TV was “reliable” in that it would last 20 years as long as you did minor repairs every six months as it got older.

No, this is not what was done. TV repair was very very expensive and very frequent for first few decades. Vacuum tube simply breaks very very often and was rather expensive. Switch to solid-state component in 70th and 80th tanked TV repair businesses as TV simply didn't break on regular schedules anymore. The price you would pay for a TV repair a few times a year in the 1960 would be like cost of whole new cheap but large HDTV of today.

Besides you would rarely be keeping 20 year old TV then. It was too small or it was only monochrome, or it couldnt take the VCR you buy in 1980. Maybe you stick it in guest room or something where it only gets used a few hours a year by year 10 and then it never heats up or uses enough to break. Modern TVs usually go a decade or more without needing to be fixed anyway too is.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nocturtle posted:

(Squints) The 50% contribution vs time does have an overall average positive slope so this is correct.

Holdings of wealth is not even close to the same thing as standard of living.

If someone gets $100,000 a year raise and I get a $10,000 a year raise, then my share of total wealth has declined, but my standard of living has objectively gone up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So what if, like, your costs go up

Liquid Communism posted:

Lampert has proposed that Sears sell its Kenmore appliance brand, as well as real estate and other assets, to pay down what it owes. In the letter, which was also filed with regulators, he said progress must be made "without delay."

Lampert's hedge fund is a major holder of Sears debt. In August, he offered to have the hedge fund buy Kenmore for $400 million, and to purchase its home improvement business for as much as $80 million more.
It's amazing that this is legal

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Halloween Jack posted:

So what if, like, your costs go up

That's literally the measurement of disposable income.

Unless inflation increases your costs by $10,000, then your standard of living rises.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm open to heterodox analysis, but "Real income has gone steadily upward for decades thanks to wage increases and lower cost of goods, in spite of education and health care costs" is a nuclear take.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Holdings of wealth is not even close to the same thing as standard of living.

Quoted in the USA TYOOL 2018. Also note the posted plot does NOT show wealth share but actual wealth.

But anyway we're in agreement. In addition to the very large increase in net wealth for below-median Americans over the past 50 years there are also similarly large increases in total income for the lower quantiles:

There's a lot of complaining about the immiseration of the middle class but it's not supported by the data.

On topic the demise of Sears is fascinating as will the inevitable post-mortem. At some point Lampert switched from trying to create a Randian-inspired utopia to naked looting.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm open to heterodox analysis, but "Real income has gone steadily upward for decades thanks to wage increases and lower cost of goods, in spite of education and health care costs" is a nuclear take.

It literally has.

Do you know of some secret data that FRED doesn't have?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Halloween Jack posted:

That doesn't even seem to be taking housing into consideration, which is probably eating 50% or more of a lot of people's budgets right now. Granted there are areas where that's not the case, but then those areas also have lower incomes to go along with their lower cost of living so...

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Halloween Jack posted:

Real income, real personal disposable income has gone up. But it is only by very small amount over many decade. Understandable that what goes up by very tiny fraction of a percent per year feels like it might as well be zero. Let us not even mention how cost of college does not matter if you had bad schooling and no chance to get to college regardless of if you could afford - is that not the situation for very many poor American?

Or being qualified to go to college, but you had to get local low paying job right away from mandatory schooling.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

It literally has.

I don't understand how median wealth and median disposable income have steadily increased when every other statistic I can find says that wages have been close to frozen for 40 years, poverty more than doubled, and middle-class wealth collapsed in the past decade (especially among African-Americans). To say nothing of lower job security, which comes with unpaid work for labour, volatility, and working more to make the same income.

Edit: You do realize that neither of the graphs you posted are a measure of what the average person thinks of as "disposable income," right? That is, it doesn't take any expenses into account besides taxes.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 24, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nowadays Joe is retired and new TVs can’t be easily repaired with a $10 drainpipe soldering iron and replacement capacitors large enough that you can still replace them after having had ten beers.

If your 1000 dollar 19 inch tv broke in 1980s you spent the money to fix it because it cost 1000 nineteen eighties dollars.

if you 70 dollar 19 inch tv breaks in 2018 you just buy a new tv. because tvs barely ever break anymore and are very cheap to replace.

There is a lot to romanticize that stuff used to be better, but tvs just got better. They don't break as much and when they eventually do break they are very affordable to replace. There is also some that use glue or something in their construction but lots of tvs are actually super easy to repair now. Watch a teardown video, many tvs are super modular and everything plugs together with ribbon cables instead of soldered wires or anything. anyone could fix one of these, the replacement parts are cheap and there is no technical skill involved in swapping them out, it's all plug and play, but the whole tv is cheap to replace anyway:

TVs just got better, people love the idea that we are in a degenerate age and stuff used to be better but sometimes older stuff just is worse.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Nowadays Joe is retired and new TVs can’t be easily repaired with a $10 drainpipe soldering iron and replacement capacitors large enough that you can still replace them after having had ten beers.

Joe may be retired but new TVs can be repaired by a $10 soldering iron with a bit smaller (and safer) capacitors. Its almost always an electrolytic capacitor that fails and you can see exactly what one failed. Solder in a replacement and you have a 95% chance of having a working TV for the next 2-3 years.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Nocturtle posted:

But anyway we're in agreement. In addition to the very large increase in net wealth for below-median Americans over the past 50 years there are also similarly large increases in total income for the lower quantiles:

There's a lot of complaining about the immiseration of the middle class but it's not supported by the data.

Incomes on the middle-to-lower quintiles may have rebounded to where they were ten years ago, but everyone is paying a significantly higher percentage of their inflation-adjusted incomes on housing, healthcare, and education, with the end result being that they're spending more of their incomes on necessities and are saving less overall. (And of course, when you break these numbers down by demographics, you'll see that minority households haven't seen anything like the recovery that white ones have.)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It also doesn't help that that looks at "households." Underemployment is absolutely rampant among the young to the point where a lot of them aren't creating "households." A hell of a lot of the ones that would just love to are dealing with a combination of stagnating wages mixed with crippling student debt. Typical salaries staying steady does you somewhere between "very little" and "gently caress all" of good when you have to go into a massive pile of debt just to get a below average to average yearly income.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It also doesn't help that that looks at "households." Underemployment is absolutely rampant among the young to the point where a lot of them aren't creating "households." A hell of a lot of the ones that would just love to are dealing with a combination of stagnating wages mixed with crippling student debt. Typical salaries staying steady does you somewhere between "very little" and "gently caress all" of good when you have to go into a massive pile of debt just to get a below average to average yearly income.

That's now how "household" is counted.

Household is just the combined income of everyone over 18 living in the same location. It includes single people.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

It literally has.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PCEPI
It's almost like they have data showing that poo poo costs more year on year that you're ignoring.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Death Panel Czar posted:

It's almost like they have data showing that poo poo costs more year on year that you're ignoring.

Inflation existing doesn't mean that real disposable income is down.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/A229RX0

This is easily google-able.

Disposable income and standard of living are up for all income groups in America in the last 50 years.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Death Panel Czar posted:

That is just a graph showing inflation

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Inflation existing doesn't mean that real disposable income is down.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/A229RX0

This is easily google-able.

Disposable income and standard of living are up for all income groups in America in the last 50 years.
Then add the real one to your horseshit chart.

I'm really curious what galaxy brain explanation you've got for the consumer debt bubble. Disposable income went up so much everybody decided they needed to throw themselves onto a sword?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

That's now how "household" is counted.

Household is just the combined income of everyone over 18 living in the same location. It includes single people.

Then it includes people stuck living with their parents because there is no way that they can live on their own on $11 per hour Walmart wages and 5-figures of inescapable education debt, so they stay with their parents while everyone calls them a loser for still living with their parents. I live nowhere near a major metropolitan area and the average rent for a 1-bedroom flat here is about $725 a month while $11 is an above-average wage despite the "booming economy". After tax on that oh-so-generous $11 an hour, rent now represents nearly half of their living expenses. Keeping in mind that this does not represent health costs/insurance, debt or utilities and assumes 40 hours per week that few hourly workers get, that doesn't leave much.

You're cherry-picking your "data" and trying to convince everyone that things are "really, fine everyone, really" without an understanding of the subtleties, like that raving sociopath of a president who talks about how many jobs there are all of the time even though the only supposedly abundant jobs are either for nurses, CDL drivers or McJobs who don't pay a living wage and have no benefits. I know that you're too much of a twat to admit it, but I'm guessing that you're one of those arseholes who nodded vigorously at that ludicrous and insulting "McDonald's budget" that came out a few years ago.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Death Panel Czar posted:

Then add the real one to your horseshit chart.

I'm really curious what galaxy brain explanation you've got for the consumer debt bubble. Disposable income went up so much everybody decided they needed to throw themselves onto a sword?

It's literally in the link.

Why are you mad that the world is not as bad as you thought it was?

And yes, if incomes go higher, then the aggregate total of revolving debt is likely to be higher.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

JustJeff88 posted:

Then it includes people stuck living with their parents because there is no way that they can live on their own on $11 per hour Walmart wages and 5-figures of inescapable education debt, so they stay with their parents while everyone calls them a loser for still living with their parents. I live nowhere near a major metropolitan area and the average rent for a 1-bedroom flat here is about $725 a month while $11 is an above-average wage despite the "booming economy". After tax on that oh-so-generous $11 an hour, rent now represents nearly half of their living expenses. Keeping in mind that this does not represent health costs/insurance, debt or utilities and assumes 40 hours per week that few hourly workers get, that doesn't leave much.

You're cherry-picking your "data" and trying to convince everyone that things are "really, fine everyone, really" without an understanding of the subtleties, like that raving sociopath of a president who talks about how many jobs there are all of the time even though the only supposedly abundant jobs are either for nurses, CDL drivers or McJobs who don't pay a living wage and have no benefits. I know that you're too much of a twat to admit it, but I'm guessing that you're one of those arseholes who nodded vigorously at that ludicrous and insulting "McDonald's budget" that came out a few years ago.

Do you know how averages work?

If someone is "living with their parents" on an "$11 per hour Wal-Mart wages," then that still drives down the average household income.

You are having trouble holding onto the idea that both of these are simultaneously true:

- The average American in every economic quintile is better off today than they were in 1950, 1960, or 1970.
- That things being better doesn't mean that everything is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

There's another way to think about stagnating wages and healthcare/education costs rising - wages aren't going up or are even declining, but the relative cost of goods is falling even faster (due to mentioned advances) but the cost of healthcare/education is static. So incomes fall, goods fall even faster, but services stagnate/rise, which means in real terms they skyrocket.