Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Claes Oldenburger posted:

That jeweller should never sell again. "Sometimes you get lucky and it's perfectly clear" is the biggest load of horse poo poo I have ever heard of. If I said that to one of my clients I would 100% expect them to just leave haha. Glad you didn't go with Tiffany's, they're just SO expensive for what you get. If you don't care about the name it's like throwing money into the ocean.

It was a semi-known chain too, which scared me even more.

Anyways I proposed and she said yes. Now time for the wedding planning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Getting engaged in two weeks (with a little luck). We're both early 30s, are firmly committed to No Kids, and have our long term financial plans in alignment.

...our historic financial plans have not been so similar. There is a net worth disparity of $1M and $0. Is a prenuptial agreement a reasonable suggestion? Or are those literally just for $100M+ men and their 19 year old trophy brides?

The goal isn't to be :goonsay: about what's mine and what's hers, but in case of Unforeseen Difficulties it seems reasonable that the initial $1M wouldn't get cut in half.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There is a net worth disparity of $1M and $0. Is a prenuptial agreement a reasonable suggestion?

You should each consult a lawyer. What is the marriage law where you live? What are your respective incomes? Who normally pays for things? Is your lifestyle unsustainable with just one income? Even though you're having no kids, would either of you be sacrificing anything for the marriage (e.g. giving up a job to move somewhere)? Do you want to preserve family/sentimental property like the house you live in or shares in a family business? Do you want any potential separation to be mediated or arbitrated or what?

Ultimately you should get a prenuptial agreement if you believe that existing marriage law would not be fair or equitable for your situation. We got one to keep our separate retirement accounts separate as the Ontario marriage law does not include any provision for that. PM me if you want to discuss!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Getting engaged in two weeks (with a little luck). We're both early 30s, are firmly committed to No Kids, and have our long term financial plans in alignment.

...our historic financial plans have not been so similar. There is a net worth disparity of $1M and $0.

Generally, the way it works is that you both keep what you brought into the marriage. So when divorcing he takes his, she takes hers, and the community property gained during the marriage is divided up. Problems arise when spouses commingle their original assets (like using cash for a downpayment on a house in both their names).

Talk to a lawyer because every state has different rules, and talk to your future spouse because expectations are important.

But you'll probably want a prenup to smooth things out.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is there a recommended minimum gem hardness for a ring that won’t be worn on the hand often, or can I feel safe with something like a 7 or 8?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've seen opal and turquoise on rings before, but generally they are inset, rather than a proud setting. They are usually no more than 6 on the hardness scale. Are you looking at a traditional diamond setting?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Moissonite is a 9

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Not sure at the setting right now, since my hobby is cutting gems the current plan is to hand over a small bag of gems to a jeweler and ask if they can make a ring from a few of them :v: This is pretty far in the future but its good to start keeping an eye out for raw materials.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Where are the best places to shop for diamond engagement rings in person? Brilliant Earth may be great for some, but my girlfriend doesn't love any of their settings.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Local jewelers, small businesses. Avoid chain stores no matter what.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Koivunen posted:

Local jewelers, small businesses. Avoid chain stores no matter what.

Thank you! She keeps suggesting places in the mall but I just had a horrible interaction with one and I have a feeling they're pretty much all the same.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Xun posted:

Not sure at the setting right now, since my hobby is cutting gems the current plan is to hand over a small bag of gems to a jeweler and ask if they can make a ring from a few of them :v: This is pretty far in the future but its good to start keeping an eye out for raw materials.

8+ is really where you want to be for long term wear. Other stones work but over time they will show wear much more than diamond/moissanite/spinel/sapphire etc.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I feel the last month before the wedding has been me saying "WTF no" to vendors trying to leech additional money from us. Fuuuuuck this.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Residency Evil posted:

I feel the last month before the wedding has been me saying "WTF no" to vendors trying to leech additional money from us. Fuuuuuck this.

We're 30 days out and nobody has done this to us.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

It's still better than the DIY wedding where you keep realizing a minor thing you forgot every few hours.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
whats the latest hotness on man made diamonds and whose a good vendor? I'm probably going to need a ring soon

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Waroduce posted:

whats the latest hotness on man made diamonds and whose a good vendor? I'm probably going to need a ring soon

You can shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to give you a rundown on prices etc. Even if I can't help I can point you in the right direction :)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Leaving for our destination wedding in 7 days as of today, we're getting married in.. 13 days. Not sure if it has really set in yet that it's about to happen.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Got married on the 14th and just got our sneak peek photos from the photographer. She did such an awesome job. These two are my favorites

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
That dog is so adorable!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

8 hours till we head to atlanta and then 45 minutes to haul rear end to our flight for belize, wedding is in 7 days, holy gently caress finally.

poo poo better go right or I'm going to explode, so much planning for this.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The wedding happened! It snowed. Is that good luck or gooder luck? It rained too.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Anyone have advice on ratios/calculators for how much booze, and what types to bring, to bring for an open bar? We are having about ~130 guests, of which about ~100 will likely be drinking. A good chunk of the guests will be younger, and it seems like a lot of the calculators I've looked at seem suspiciously high on the ratio of wine or beer (like "50% beer" or "50% wine).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My guess would be, average person has 1-2 drinks, and for the 21-35 crowd, 3-5

I'm really curious, how much booze is a great thought experiment. Having bartended before at probably 15+ weddings I would say 50% beer and wine feels about right. Maybe even 70%. But that was Texas in the late 00s and access to liquor was hard to come by so it was mostly a light beer culture back then. Where you live matters a lot. Some place like Wisconsin is going to have more hard liquor, California is going to be heavy on red wines and whiskey.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I got married! It went great! Would have been nice if my 4th groomsman had arrived a) WITH a bowtie and cummerbund and b) WITHOUT a gun, instead of the other way around, but you can't have everything.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Mortabis posted:

I got married! It went great!

Hooray and congrats!

quote:

Would have been nice if my 4th groomsman had arrived a) WITH a bowtie and cummerbund and b) WITHOUT a gun, instead of the other way around, but you can't have everything.

:stare:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
No, you can't have everything.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Got married, it went very well, it rained for about 30 minutes but that helped cool it off.

11/10 would get married in paradise again.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Do I have to get gifts for my parents and in-laws? Not only is that a lot of people, my in-laws kind of suck.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Shnooks posted:

Do I have to get gifts for my parents and in-laws? Not only is that a lot of people, my in-laws kind of suck.

I bought mine a gift card for dinner, and she got hers keychain/lockets. I don't think they have to be big.

I'm also assuming that your spouse enjoys the company of their parents.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Quabzor posted:

I bought mine a gift card for dinner, and she got hers keychain/lockets. I don't think they have to be big.

I'm also assuming that your spouse enjoys the company of their parents.

My spouse does not enjoy the company of their parents

Someone suggested some framed pictures of us so I guess we'll do that

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
How accurate is the OP currently? I'm about ready to start a diamond search and I feel woefully inadequate in the knowledge department.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Wickerman posted:

How accurate is the OP currently? I'm about ready to start a diamond search and I feel woefully inadequate in the knowledge department.

i just had a great experience going via brilliant earth thanks to the op - we were lucky living in boston, they have a showroom there

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.
My fiance and I are getting married and rather than a wedding ring he got me (at my request) earrings. I love them so much, they're sapphire and awesome and I'm really happy. I can't really wear rings or necklaces since I work in a lab with bacteria, carcinogens, and transgenic stuff all day, so the earrings seemed smart. Honestly would recommend to people who don't like/can't wear rings. I was worried I wouldn't like not having something as identifiable as a ring but seriously, it's awesome.

Shnooks posted:

My fiance and I are only getting my parents one gift each from the both of us. Perhaps asking your wife if she wouldn't mind putting your name on gifts from her as well? (Unless she's not getting them anything in which case there's your answer)

GlassLotus fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 6, 2018

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

GlassLotus posted:

My fiance and I are getting married and rather than a wedding ring he got me (at my request) earrings. I love them so much, they're sapphire and awesome and I'm really happy. I can't really wear rings or necklaces since I work in a lab with bacteria, carcinogens, and transgenic stuff all day, so the earrings seemed smart. Honestly would recommend to people who don't like/can't wear rings. I was worried I wouldn't like not having something as identifiable as a ring but seriously, it's awesome.

This is a really great idea. I usually suggest to clients and friends who are nurses and the like to wear the ring on a chain but wedding earrings is awesome!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Yeah, that's an awesome idea, very cool.

For other people wanting a traditional ring, my wife is a chef and couldn't wear her ring at work, so I got her a wishbone ring holder necklace that she gets a ton of compliments on, with or without the ring on it.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Wickerman posted:

I am midway through this process myself. I am working with a local jeweler to design a custom ring, and have been thoroughly impressed with their work so far. However we're at the diamond selection stage and I am not at all impressed with the pricing on the diamonds, especially as compared to online. They have no issue with me ordering a diamond online to use in the ring, as the cost for the ring is separate from the stones.

What are the concerns with ordering from somewhere online like blue Nile, Brilliant Earth, James Allen, etc.? They all seem to have really good return policies, insured shipping, etc. The local jeweler wasn't completely sold on the idea as they indicated they frequently reject stones which may be graded vvs1 but have visible inclusions, and I'm not sure if that's bullshit so I buy a stone through them or not.

What are others experiences?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We purchased an "Astor" branded stone from Blue Nile, the photos are better than what you can see with the eye, and honestly the pictures that you can swivel through are better than trying to inspect the stone by hand using a loupe.

Had my girlfriend professionally sized for the band, they suggested half a size under, that seemed like wise advice.

But yeah, the whole process with Blue Nile was flawless. Very stress free

The Astor branding just means you get a gemex certificate in addition to the gia cert. It's really hard to judge the overall quality of the cut without some sort of idealscope, aset report. Turns out there's a bunch of garbage-grade diamonds that might be white and internally flawless, but don't have the hearts and arrows that show up the way they do. The whole point of the diamond (in my opinion) is that they have an unusual refractive index, and the ideal cut that was designed specifically for this refractive index. If your diamond had a poo poo cut, you just defeated the whole point of it and you might as well just go with crystal glass instead.

Anyways obviously I've bought in to the whole light performance argument so take all that with a grain of salt. James Allen has their light performance stones (Astor) marketed as "true hearts" and seem price competitive with Blue Nile.

TL;DR buying online was a breeze, we got exactly what was pictured.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

TrueChaos posted:

I am midway through this process myself. I am working with a local jeweler to design a custom ring, and have been thoroughly impressed with their work so far. However we're at the diamond selection stage and I am not at all impressed with the pricing on the diamonds, especially as compared to online. They have no issue with me ordering a diamond online to use in the ring, as the cost for the ring is separate from the stones.

What are the concerns with ordering from somewhere online like blue Nile, Brilliant Earth, James Allen, etc.? They all seem to have really good return policies, insured shipping, etc. The local jeweler wasn't completely sold on the idea as they indicated they frequently reject stones which may be graded vvs1 but have visible inclusions, and I'm not sure if that's bullshit so I buy a stone through them or not.

What are others experiences?

Most of these online stores have an actual location in several cities and ifyou live in one I'd recommend going in person. I agree with Hadlock that the most important thing about a diamond is visual appearance from 6 inches to several feet. What is visible to you and visible to a jeweler are probably going to drastically different. Also color has a huge affect on price, but isn't as noticeable if you aren't comparing side by side or on a white background and there's an element of personal preference. My fiancee thought hat the highest color rating, D?, looked fake and was perfectly happy with I which had a dramatic effect on price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Feel free to send me updates or start a new thread if anybody wants. I've been married for ten years now (holy poo poo this thread is old) so I'm a little out of the game.