Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

weird Asian candy posted:

49ers bro's, let's combine teams.

It's Kazee's time to shine.

Renegade for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

DariusLikewise posted:

If you are Goff, would you take 25m/year instead of 30m/year if it means you get to stay with McVay as a coach and continue to be good or would you bet that you've transcended McVay's coaching and move on for more money?

I'd definitely take a pay cut to stay in a good situation but NFL players are prideful creatures that always bet on themselves. If your take home after taxes, agents, etc. is like 40% that's 10 million on 25 on a year and 12 million on 30 a year. Does that extra 2 million really change your quality of life that much? Especially compared to being happy and successful in your work? Nothing in life is guaranteed and money is a great salve to most of life's problems but at a point you have to know when to stop chasing that dollar.

What I was really saying though is even if Goff gets 30 a year if its a huge chunk signing bonus his 1st two years' cap hit could be around 12-15 million giving you space to pay other important players. Then you try to limp along or restructure after that counting on the salary cap increasing enough to mitigate the huge cap hits Goff has in those years.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

a neat cape posted:

It's Kazee's time to shine.

Renegade for life

That it is!

This is brutal though, I'm so sorry for teasing you in the past for the Chargers injuries. This is not fun :(

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

If recent history is any indication, RIP his career. Sure is a good thing they didn't sign him to a huge deal literally last year that kept them out of the Cousins sweepstakes.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
RIP ACL tear? wtf?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

That it is!

This is brutal though, I'm so sorry for teasing you in the past for the Chargers injuries. This is not fun :(

Yeah it sucks. It hits every team at some point, just pray it doesn't become an annual thing.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

That it is!

poo poo's gonna work out, WAC. Just wait and see.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

pubic works project posted:

Yeah the only one I can remember is Finley and his best season was 2011 with 55 catches for around 760 yards and 8 TDs. Then he drastically dropped before getting hurt.

Finley was extremely important to the 2011 offense and ever since he got hurt the offense has never looked the same. His numbers on paper don't reflect his value to the offense, being able to consistently pull coverage into the middle of the field opens up the sidelines for Rodgers to bomb it deep to his receivers.

Finley in fact is why the Packers have been on this spate of free agent TEs trying to recapture that magic (Cook, Bennett, Graham).

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

If recent history is any indication, RIP his career.

Lol what?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

a neat cape posted:

Yeah it sucks. It hits every team at some point, just pray it doesn't become an annual thing.

Atlanta has been pretty healthy over the years, so I shouldn't be surprised the injury bug finally found them. Just takes all the fun and excitement out of the season. Blegh.

Chilichimp posted:

poo poo's gonna work out, WAC. Just wait and see.

Just wait. Your optimism is going to tear an ACL on Sunday and go on season ending IR.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'd definitely take a pay cut to stay in a good situation but NFL players are prideful creatures that always bet on themselves. If your take home after taxes, agents, etc. is like 40% that's 10 million on 25 on a year and 12 million on 30 a year. Does that extra 2 million really change your quality of life that much? Especially compared to being happy and successful in your work? Nothing in life is guaranteed and money is a great salve to most of life's problems but at a point you have to know when to stop chasing that dollar.

What I was really saying though is even if Goff gets 30 a year if its a huge chunk signing bonus his 1st two years' cap hit could be around 12-15 million giving you space to pay other important players. Then you try to limp along or restructure after that counting on the salary cap increasing enough to mitigate the huge cap hits Goff has in those years.

Yeah I'm definitely saying it's a hypothetical situation that I've thought about since every take on the Rams in the off-season was "they are screwed when it comes to 2020". The NFL could be a very different place come 2020 anyways as I believe that will be the strike/uncapped year?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Oh right, Carr broke his leg, right?

Just wait. Your optimism is going to tear an ACL on Sunday and go on season ending IR.

Don't jinx Campbell like that yo.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jimmy Graham has had some costly drops this season? Well having watched him all of last season I can tell you I for one, am shocked at this development.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

Oh right, Carr broke his leg, right?

Carr broke his drat back

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Yeah I'm definitely saying it's a hypothetical situation that I've thought about since every take on the Rams in the off-season was "they are screwed when it comes to 2020". The NFL could be a very different place come 2020 anyways as I believe that will be the strike/uncapped year?

2020 is last year under current CBA. Unlike previous CBA i dont believe it includes the poison pill of an uncapped year in the last year of hte deal to encourage them to sign one ahead of time.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

Car broke his drat back

gently caress me.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
What would a year without the salary cap even look like?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

It's not worth worrying about 3 years in the future regardless because the NFL murders players so quickly and thoroughly, that anyone outside of a QB could be a withered husk by then.

JJ Watt three years ago was on a streak as the most dominant defensive player we'd ever seen

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Demon Of The Fall posted:

the teams all unifying together to totally not collude and just obey an imaginary salary cap.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ask Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

A lot of guys holding out of camp and a shitload of overpaid rotational players.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

2010 was uncapped

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yeah the only one I can remember is Finley and his best season was 2011 with 55 catches for around 760 yards and 8 TDs. Then he drastically dropped before getting hurt.

Ol' stonehands drastically dropped a lot in general

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

RIP in peace Handsome Jimmy G

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist posted:

RIP in peace Handsome Jimmy G

I remember all the hype around Hoyer in Cleveland that one year with Josh Gordon until Hoyer tore his ACL and it all went to poo poo.

Hoyer never regained whatever it was that made that season special.

I feel like Jimmy G is still largely an unproven talent, since his wins last year against lovely opponents can't really be counted for much. He beat the 2017 Jags, which was was alright. Who knows what he'll be when he gets back, but I don't think we really knew what he was before. :shrug:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Azhais posted:

Maybe it's the fact that the Packers haven't ever really featured TEs in the passing game

I just looked up Bubba Franks' career stats and was disappointed that they didn't live up to my memories. I think I just assumed that he owned because of his name when I was 12

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Kalli posted:

the teams all unifying together to totally not collude and just obey an imaginary salary cap.

^^^^^
This is what happened in 2010. Officially there was no collusion it was just magic that everyone stayed under the cap that year wink wink

Stevie Lee posted:

I just looked up Bubba Franks' career stats and was disappointed that they didn't live up to my memories. I think I just assumed that he owned because of his name when I was 12

Bubba franks drag routes in the end zone was a thing and accounts for 90% of our fondness for bubba franks. outside that, pretty underwhelming.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

a neat cape posted:

Carr broke his drat back

Leg AND back.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Leg AND back, pussy and his crack.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Chilichimp posted:

I remember all the hype around Hoyer in Cleveland that one year with Josh Gordon until Hoyer tore his ACL and it all went to poo poo.

Hoyer never regained whatever it was that made that season special.

He never regained Josh Gordon

LOL @ anyone that thinks the players actually strike.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Nice

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

San Francisco has four night games this year.

Yeesh.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cash Monet posted:

San Francisco has four night games this year.

Yeesh.

Yeah, luckily they don't need Kaep, next man up!

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1044304682980659200

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
woof

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
If teams didn't collude, then I think you'd see a lot of front-loaded deals from teams with deep pockets. You pay a QB $150 mil for 5 years, but give them a roster bonus or workout bonus of $100 mil for the uncapped year so that the cap hit later would be $50 mil for 4 years.

Teams won't do it though because its risky. The new CBA rules could screw you over, like forcing teams to spread out any bonuses paid in that one year for the rest of the contract.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

adaz posted:

^^^^^
This is what happened in 2010. Officially there was no collusion it was just magic that everyone stayed under the cap that year wink wink

Except the Cowboys and Redskins who lost cap space the next following year for not following the rules that didn't exist

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kalli posted:

Kaep is right loving there, now youre just taunting me

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He never regained Josh Gordon

LOL @ anyone that thinks the players actually strike.

But the movie about that owned real hard

Who'd be Jimmy McGinty in real life The Replacements?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ches Neckbeard posted:

What will the new penalty be next year because of this?

You must allow the QB to exit out of bounds at a location and speed of his choice. It's the only way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kalli posted:

Kaep’s case gets easier and easier to prove with these moves.

• Locked thread