Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
Yeah, honestly for opening links in apps I’d recommend something like Opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Depressing Box posted:

Yeah, honestly for opening links in apps I’d recommend something like Opener.

This app looks like it opens links exactly like Shortcuts, which is kind of my point - an Apple app should have deep OS integration, and it doesn't.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I guess it's not "awful" but it just feels very poor from a usability perspective and in no way integrated into the OS. The way it goes about adding a shortcut to the home screen feels like a third party app.

Well, that's because technically it is. Apple bought Workflow not too long ago. I'm hoping for better integration in a future 12.x, but it likely won't happen until iOS 13.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It's not awful but it's loving shy of the Activator jailbreak app they're going for.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Well, that's because technically it is. Apple bought Workflow not too long ago. I'm hoping for better integration in a future 12.x, but it likely won't happen until iOS 13.

I did not know that and it makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Zigmidge posted:

It's not awful but it's loving shy of the Activator jailbreak app they're going for.

More like Automator on MacOS, but even that is way more powerful than Shortcuts.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I used to have a workflow that would copy whatever I was looking at and paste it into a text to one of my contacts. Saved me having to type this particular contact’s name on messages share sheet button.

The transition to Shortcuts nuked that workflow and I can’t figure out how to get it back. Copy to clipboard and then clipboard variable in the send message to contact just pasted an entire safari site instead of the the URL, and on an image it copies the image and it’s name for some reason. How do I get back the old way?

Edit: somehow THIS is the solution? Fine.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 24, 2018

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is it a new Overcast feature that it no longer remembers what podcast I was listening to? Since the app update / iOS12 update when I get in my car it just starts playing the wrong podcast, almost every time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It works fine for me

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The Dave posted:

Is it a new Overcast feature that it no longer remembers what podcast I was listening to? Since the app update / iOS12 update when I get in my car it just starts playing the wrong podcast, almost every time.

I’ve had that happen a few times but it’s pretty random. Actually, it seems to happen to me when I get a phone call and then resume listening to a podcast.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah it'll start playing from the top of my "All Episodes" and not where I was before. Hopefully it gets fixed to be more consistent.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I just discovered that Siri can speak English with different accents and I can't stop playing with them even though I never use Siri.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just remembered amnimoji's were a thing with my new phone yesterday and spent far longer than I should have irritating family friends with them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I just remembered amnimoji's were a thing with my new phone yesterday and spent far longer than I should have irritating family friends with them.

I wish that other apps could take advantage of them. I'd be more likely to use them if I could use them in WhatsApp.

I know I can make one and save the video but thats a pain in the rear end.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ooo Waze just got updated with Carplay!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do likes and dislikes work in the News app? If I read a story about Trump murdering kids do I “like” the story because this is news I want to see, or do I “dislike” the story because gently caress Trump?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do likes and dislikes work in the News app? If I read a story about Trump murdering kids do I “like” the story because this is news I want to see, or do I “dislike” the story because gently caress Trump?

Pretty sure you're liking/disliking based on if it's news you want to see or not. Same premise as if you liked a news post on Twitter about a celebrity dying it doesn't mean that you like the fact the celebrity is dead

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend a free app that will let me permanently rotate a PDF on an iPad? I don’t really want to shell out £10 on PDF expert for a one use thing.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
For some reason the Outlook app only updates once every 24/48/whothefuckknows hours unless you manually open the app. This becomes an issue when someone moves a meeting on the day of as I use the app for my meeting reminders.

Would IFTTT work to open the app a couple of times a day so I can refresh?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

Can anyone recommend a free app that will let me permanently rotate a PDF on an iPad? I don’t really want to shell out £10 on PDF expert for a one use thing.

Try PDF Viewer Pro. It's free and I know it has markup and annotations in it's free version, I'd imagine rotate is there too.

It's probably the best free PDF viewer app on iOS.

EDIT: Just tried on iPad and it works fine with the free version.
http://faq.pdfviewer.io/pdf-viewer-for-ios/how-do-i-rotate-a-page

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 24, 2018

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
How do I share app purchases with my family? And does it work for in-app purchases like subscriptions?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BoyBlunder posted:

How do I share app purchases with my family? And does it work for in-app purchases like subscriptions?

In-app purchases can’t be shared.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Is there a simple app to move photos from the iPhone to a PC or MacBook or even just shuttle them over to google drive or something?

I’m a pretty new Mac user and I don’t know how any of this works short of iPhoto and putting all my stuff in the apple cloud.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Image Capture should be installed on your Mac already, simple and works well.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BoyBlunder posted:

Not on IAP but on the App Store you (or anyone in the family plan) can click on the profile on the top right and go to Purchased. From there you can browse each member’s purchased apps.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Gameko posted:

Is there a simple app to move photos from the iPhone to a PC or MacBook or even just shuttle them over to google drive or something?

I’m a pretty new Mac user and I don’t know how any of this works short of iPhoto and putting all my stuff in the apple cloud.

Easiest way is iCloud cause it’s built in.

Next easiest ways are to download either Google Photos, Dropbox, or possibly OneDrive. They will all upload your photos to their own cloud services.

It’s 2018 nobody plugs their phones into a computer anymore.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I just use Dropbox to upload my photos but the only thing with that is that you have to have the app open or have it running in the background which stops after like two minutes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

101 posted:

Pretty sure you're liking/disliking based on if it's news you want to see or not. Same premise as if you liked a news post on Twitter about a celebrity dying it doesn't mean that you like the fact the celebrity is dead

I don't use Twitter but I wasn't under the impression that Twitter likes were fed into an AI to figure out what tweets to show you. Don't you have to actually follow people to see their tweets? News.app gives me the impression that it will tailor news "for you" the more you like/dislike stories. I'm just trying to figure out how to get it to show me news that are relevant to me cause it seems no matter what I do I still get "for you" articles about poo poo like the results of a sportsball game or news about who wore what at the big event last night. I also get a lot of Trump stories and I wan't to like them because the news is relevant to me, but I don't want News.app's AI thinking I actually, you know, like Trump and start pushing alt right articles to me.

That last thing actually happened which is why I asked in the first place. I got a "for you" article that I read one paragraph in before I encountered the words of something like "Dr. Blasey Ford is set to commit perjury *wink wink* on Thursday" from some lovely alt right waste of life.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 25, 2018

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
For the news app you can also hit the share button to dislike stories or block a channel altogether without having to open the article and add it to your history, which would probably influence the “this user will open this sort of article” algorithm.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone else have a problem adding an album or playlist to "Up Next" in the Music app? If I try to add a playlist to Up Next, I just get the prompt to sign up for Apple Music, even though the music is already on the phone. I can add them from the main page (as they're my new albums I added recently), but cannot anywhere else in the app.

I'm waiting for the Xr next month before I make a bug report on Apple, if they even let non-devs post those still.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
So is Tweetbot ruined for life now? Do I finally bite the bullet and download the Twitter app? Or is it still functional aside from non necessary crap?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

virinvictus posted:

So is Tweetbot ruined for life now? Do I finally bite the bullet and download the Twitter app? Or is it still functional aside from non necessary crap?

It still works. Notifications are delayed. There are some other features in it they removed, I think, but I didn't use them so I don't know what they are. It is still an add-free Twitter feed in chronological order.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

virinvictus posted:

It's fine as long as you don't care about seeing who likes your tweets and don't need group DMs. The notifications are still there but they're significantly delayed compared to the stick app.

I've heard there's a setting in the official twitter app to turn your timeline back to chronological order with no extraneous bullshit (so and so liked this tweet) so maybe it's fine for regular use but I'm so used to tweetbot I probably won't switch until I absolutely have to.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EC posted:

I've heard there's a setting in the official twitter app to turn your timeline back to chronological order with no extraneous bullshit (so and so liked this tweet) so maybe it's fine for regular use but I'm so used to tweetbot I probably won't switch until I absolutely have to.

"Show me the best tweets first" has been there for awhile, but only in the last week or so did they update it so that disabling it also disables the stuff you mention. I would imagine most people itt probably already have it shut off.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Has anyone documented some of the quirks or un-obvious features in shortcuts? For example, I set a shortcut to only accept images, but noticed it was showing up as an option for other kinds of content. Apparently if you use it on a webpage, it just loads all of the images on the page. More interestingly, if you use it on an article (like from an RSS reader) then it seems to take a bunch of screenshots of the article’s content.

You can kind of get a feel for how it works by using the content graph, but a lot of features just feel random and “magical”.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Quirk (well, bug I'd say): I have one that’s just “add currently playing song to <name> playlist”. If I run it from the shortcut app (as opposed to a widget), the text says something like “cannot add <completely different song that’s already in that playlist> to playlist” but it still adds the correct song.

Daemonqueller
Aug 16, 2004

What’s the go-to app for projecting what is on my iPhone to my Windows 10 PC? Reflector?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Daemonqueller posted:

What’s the go-to app for projecting what is on my iPhone to my Windows 10 PC? Reflector?

I paid $15 for airserver on PC and it works smoothly. I've used it to screen share playing bad phone games to friends on discord and streaming via OBS to twitch-like platforms. It might cost more now or something since I bought it in 2016 according to paypal. I didn't enjoy any free options I was trying to use then, maybe someone will have good suggestions if the price is too steep for you. There is a free trial though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hey, any good "bedside clock" type apps? Specifically, I'd like something that would display time while charging in landscape mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Popular Android Twitter app Fenix now has a free iOS Beta test going on

https://twitter.com/fenix_app/status/1047535857253736448

https://testflight.apple.com/join/poQA1Iml