Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

That can't be true for Ar Tonelico, can it?

ar tonelico is like 50/50. a lot of the vocalists and composers they use for the songs were really popular with women, combine that with being by a developer with a long history of making games that are extremely popular with women and you get some crossover. the fan event colonel mentioned was a concert, hence the audience being mostly women, since the music is what the female fanbase is into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

I suspect a decent portion of the origin of it is that when Toys R Us had to put NESes on their shelves, they had to put them on the boy shelves or the girl shelves, because the toy industry is hosed up.

Looking back I wonder if it was because of violence, because her parents in my memory definitely seem like the kind of people that would buy into the 'if you play a violent video game you will become a mass murderer!' craze. They probably just figured a Polly Pocket game or whatever was 'safe'.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the word sexpot is so awful

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Atelier has rapidly become my second favorite non-dead RPG series and I'm pretty sure those are ~girl games~
also a lot of japanese game stores have 'games for girls' sections, not in the same way that like, gamestop has bright pink barbie displays (or had back when they still made barbie games), more just like, categorization. here's rpgs, heres shooters, here's otome games/games where you date hot guys. atelier games are almost always placed with the girl games, usually right next to the rpgs, like they're the games for girls that are closest to rpgs, lol.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
It's kinda weird how they keep trying to find ways to make games for a male audience to the point they keep having to apologize to their actual primarily female audience because of it. I don't get it but this isn't even close to the first time I read some story about them having to do that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Because I bought that Capcom Beat Em Up Collection, I played through King of Dragons for I think the first time ever and a) it's fun to see how much it influenced Dragon's Crown and b) while simplistic, it was surprisingly fair and lengthy for an arcade beat em up.

Plus some of the music was rad

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

ar tonelico is like 50/50. a lot of the vocalists and composers they use for the songs were really popular with women, combine that with being by a developer with a long history of making games that are extremely popular with women and you get some crossover. the fan event colonel mentioned was a concert, hence the audience being mostly women, since the music is what the female fanbase is into.

Rightly so, I dunno if it's the composer or vocalist but whoever was responsible for the hymnos loving ruled

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 24, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

In Fallout 4 you are a mom but I'm sad to report you aren't cool

but is your character tough?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Rightly so, I dunno if it's the composer or vocalist or whoever was responsible for the hymnos loving ruled

Tsuchiya Akira and Shikata Akiko.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man AT2 had great music

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Rightly so, I dunno if it's the composer or vocalist or whoever was responsible for the hymnos loving ruled
Ar Tonelico's development was super centered on the music as you'd expect and a lot of it was the stock Gust Sound Team flexing their muscles. But a lot of the vocalists are really popular, too, and they had some influence on the soundtrack. Haruka Shimotsuki was a doujin musician who did stuff like Ragnarok Online vocal CDs and worked on Rozen Maiden, and Akiko Shikata was already a pretty big singer and she does composing for anime these days, you might know her as the vocalist on a lot of the Shadow Hearts songs that have vocals. Hilariously, I believe Shimotsuki once released an unused song from Ar Tonelico 2 on one of her CDs, years later, without asking anyone if she could, and everyone just kinda went with it.

But yeah, it was very much a group effort by a lot of talented people.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm really appreciating how much more playable the combat in mother 3 is than in the first two lol. earthbound had a decent start but it was still kinda shaky and irritating at times and got kind of absurd in the endgame, and mother 1 was mother 1, so it's cool that mother 3's core systems are actually pretty enjoyable and characters are clearly built to be able to handle stuff on their own without needing to recharge constantly

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cheetah7071 posted:

That can't be true for Ar Tonelico, can it?

Inexplicably, yes

E: the final boss theme of Ayesha is still the best Atelier song imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVcc16o0SaY

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

corn in the bible posted:

Inexplicably, yes

i mean. it's not really inexplicable. ar tonelico 1 is literally just an entire game about emotional understanding for people, with the final battle being, showing empathy for a person who's gone through intense abuse

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

Yes. Also got a really good VA. Unfortunately, the main storyline exists.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was mostly thinking of Ar Tonelico 3 when I expressed my disbelief, thinking about the first two it seems much more reasonable

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ar tonelico is a game where all of the bad guys are selfish, abusive old guys and the sexy ceo lady with giant boobs is actually a genuinely friendly person

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
AT2 also might be the most embarrassing to play game that I've really enjoyed. Or at least the one I enjoyed the most.

I heard that 1 is worse though and that 3 is outright bad so I never bothered with any more of the series.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

I am playing a dad in Fallout 4 VR, which is identical to a mom, and I pistol whipped some mutated bugs and dumped a Colt 1911 Delta Elite into a raider with power armor, which felt tough as all loving hell.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

axelblaze posted:

AT2 also might be the most embarrassing to play game that I've really enjoyed. Or at least the one I enjoyed the most.

I heard that 1 is worse though and that 3 is outright bad so I never bothered with any more of the series.

mischa's early stuff in ar tonelico 1 is weird but the whole last chunk of the game where the main character has to figure out how to defeat the ultimate evil just being him coming to the realization that the ultimate evil of the world is just an abuse victim and that punishing her for that has always been extremely hosed up of society to do is cool, imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

axelblaze posted:

AT1 is pretty early on in the horny video game history so its horniness is actually pretty contained. It's mostly just "did you know this this we're doing is...kinda like sex???" said out loud instead of left unstated

AT3 is when they realized that they could just show the girls in their underwear and stores would still carry their game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Best gaming mom still Bayonetta I know she's not actually a mom

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doesn’t the “Moms are tough” mom die right after she says that?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Pretty sure it's the same cutscene or within like 15 minutes at least. She does shoot down an airship though, I think.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

She says it, shoots someone, says it again, and THEN dies

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Moms aren't that tough after all.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ar Tonelico is weird because the first thing I saw of it was Metafalica and I thought "oh wow, this song is great and this whole series is about music, I bet the whole soundtrack is just as good!" and then no, not really.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah Ar Tonelico is about songs (...sorta) and all the diegetic music (i.e. the music that the characters are singing in-universe) is incredible. All the just normal BGM is normal forgettable RPG fare.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played through AT3 and enjoyed it, sadly I don't have an easy way of playing the first two games anymore. Ar Nosurge is also very good.

axelblaze posted:

Because I bought that Capcom Beat Em Up Collection, I played through King of Dragons for I think the first time ever and a) it's fun to see how much it influenced Dragon's Crown and b) while simplistic, it was surprisingly fair and lengthy for an arcade beat em up.

Plus some of the music was rad

Sadly some the later games are too lengthy, Warriors of Fate is an absolute chore of many long stages and enemies that take ages to kill.

And while King of Dragons was the first game in that style, Dragon's Crown takes a lot more from the later ADnD beat em up Capcom did.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

AT1 is pretty early on in the horny video game history so its horniness is actually pretty contained. It's mostly just "did you know this this we're doing is...kinda like sex???" said out loud instead of left unstated

AT3 is when they realized that they could just show the girls in their underwear and stores would still carry their game

Oh when I was talking about something being of relative quality, I meant in terms of gameplay, not horniness. I heard that the first one had a pretty okay story but the gameplay is a major step down and that just didn't compel me. Meanwhile I heard 3 had a poo poo story, terrible gameplay AND it was far more embarrassingly horny so I've stayed away.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ar Tonelico has the amazing setting premise that humans are living in a post-post-apocalyptic world on a constructed tower, but forgot how all the technology works, so the magic spells are just computer admin commands that have been passed down without understanding them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at3 has my favorite story of the three but i realize im in the minority

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Deep appreciation for the Ar Tonelico experts dropping by this page, that's a game I haven't thought in a while.

I assume there's also no way to play it in modern consoles and is probably a dead franchise?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dragon's crown doesn't just take more influence from the d&d beat em ups, it's directly where key staff came from. george kamitani did the character art for both games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Samuringa posted:

Deep appreciation for the Ar Tonelico experts dropping by this page, that's a game I haven't thought in a while.

I assume there's also no way to play it in modern consoles and is probably a dead franchise?

they still put out new games occasionally and with the way things are going with the switch these days, that might prompt them to rerelease the older ones eventually

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Samuringa posted:

AT1 and 2 are PS2 and thus emulatable (and you'd want to emulate AT2 to use a patch fixing the literal shoddiest professional localization I've ever seen)

AT3 and Ar nosurge are PS3. I think the series is dead but I stopped following it a long time ago

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The last game was only 3 years ago. There's no real reason to consider it dead forever.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Sadly some the later games are too lengthy, Warriors of Fate is an absolute chore of many long stages and enemies that take ages to kill.

And while King of Dragons was the first game in that style, Dragon's Crown takes a lot more from the later ADnD beat em up Capcom did.

Yeah, I realize that DC takes more from the DnD games and and some of the things in that are in here are also in the DnD one so DC was referencing that, but it's still neat to see how direct some of the references were all the way through. Certain boss encounters and concepts are very similar with other things being more exact like the design of thieves being pretty much exactly what's in DC in an updated style.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Colonel posted:

they still put out new games occasionally and with the way things are going with the switch these days, that might prompt them to rerelease the older ones eventually

Considering the new Arland ports sold... 6000 copies? I think that dream is probably dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hey 30 year old+ kids! Remember Rugrats and Hey Arnold?

What about the rehashed TMNT from 5 years ago?

WELL NOW THERE'S A GAME FOR YOU!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKeKYgNvJ2M

(Who is this meant to appeal to?)

• Locked thread