Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Robindaybird posted:

Makes you wonder what the prey perspective is.

something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ2sGMRl_X4&t=112s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BigglesSWE posted:

Just watched The Incredibles 2 again, this time with my girlfriend who didn’t care for the first one that much. I have to agree with her sentiment and say that the sequel is much, much better than the first movie. It balances the slow and fast much better and it’s overall very creative and fun.

21 Muns posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say that The Incredibles 2 is better than the first, but I do think all of the people crowing about how much worse it is than the first (and particularly the people who think Screenslaver is a less interesting or less coherently written villain than Syndrome) are coming from a place of pure nostalgia.

I falls into the same kinda zone as Monsters U did, where the advancement in technology led to better lighting, better designs, better camera use, basically everything that was a hard limit was removed and the filmmakers are more free to express their ideas without compromise. So it looks amazing and every scene flows smoother and it's just a much better production both in 3D animation technology and cinematic technique.

But does that directly translate to a better movie? Monsters U didn't have nearly as strong an emotional core or thematic throughline as Monsters Inc, though I still liked it, and Incredibles 2 has the unfortunate fate of following up The Incredibles, which I feel is a pretty unfavorable comparison since that movie is pretty drat fantastic at both of those things.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
All the sequels are pretty bland, honestly. Finding Dory, Toy Story 3, Monsters U, Cars 3, just incredibly forgettable plop.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Now there was a good rear end movie right there

Pick posted:

All the sequels are pretty bland, honestly. Finding Dory, Toy Story 3, Monsters U, Cars 3, just incredibly forgettable plop.

I liked all of those besides Cars 3 which I haven't seen. Gonna be real honest I think I prefer Monsters U to Monsters Inc

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I hated Finding Dory. I hated how they comvenienced her short-term memory loss and I hated how the entire film was a string of chase sequences to the point that it startled me when they had a slow moment around the 50 minute mark.

You know what? Hate's too strong a word. I hated The Boxtrolls.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Boxtrolls is truly distressingly bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely found Finding Dory more appealing than Finding Nemo but dad films don't do much for me while Dory's still hit home.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

Boxtrolls is truly distressingly bad.

It's weird, I've since forgotten a lot about Boxtrolls. I remember the classism and how painfully apparent it became that the villain was so desperate to just be accepted and loved, but more than anything I remember the outright anger I felt towards it. It was a horrible injustice that wasn't treated as one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I liked Toy Story 3 a lot and felt it was a great thematic continuation to the series for a few reasons.

Kind funny considering the villain is more or less what might have happened to Woody and/or Buzz if they'd failed to find their way back to Andy in the first movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I wonder what the second one will be about?

It has to be either Mrs Tweedy tracking them down or a crooked land developer trying to bulldoze their bird sanctuary.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

It has to be either Mrs Tweedy tracking them down or a crooked land developer trying to bulldoze their bird sanctuary.

The quest to defeat their greatest enemy of all, the wicked Colonel.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkUAHIuYujc
new spider-verse trailer

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I should probably note that I never thought the first Incredibles movie was that great. Not bad, far from it, but to me it was quickly overshadowed by Ratatouille.

To each his own. I think the sequel is better.

I went to Wikipedia and discovered that there’s a very short synopsis published for Toy Story 4. Apparently trying to find Bo Peep who was hadwaived away in the third movie.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I THINK I still prefer Monsters Inc to Monsters U, but the scene where Mike realizes that he's just straight up not meant to pursue his dream while at the summer camp is done so incredibly well.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

Chicken Run was basically a POW camp movie so the sequel should be a prison film set in a factory farm.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

This is the same one from months ago

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I know there was some controversy about Gwen Stacey's footgear, but I personally find sticking landings en pointe cool as gently caress. Ballet is awesome and makes for amazing fight choreography.

Excited.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Spidergwen’s feet.

Spider-Gwen’s feet.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CeallaSo posted:

Why stop there? Make all of the female hyenas bigger and stronger than the males, and have them treat the males like poo poo as they regard them as inherently of lesser worth; in a hyena pack, even the best and strongest of the males is considered lower in the social hierarchy than the weakest female.

And also make the hyenas the actual good guys who put in the work and the time to hunt until some rear end in a top hat lion shows up and steals their kill.

Also, give all the female hyenas big ol' dicks.

Das Boo posted:

It's weird, I've since forgotten a lot about Boxtrolls. I remember the classism and how painfully apparent it became that the villain was so desperate to just be accepted and loved, but more than anything I remember the outright anger I felt towards it. It was a horrible injustice that wasn't treated as one.

It also had a heaping helping of transphobia thrown in there, seemingly for no reason because from what I've heard it wasn't in the original book.

Boxtrolls was a bad movie for a lot of reasons.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Also, give all the female hyenas big ol' dicks.

I mean, I was thinking it, but I wasn't gonna say it.

Nobody in a Disney movie is allowed to have a dick anyway, so it's a moot point.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and how Egg basically ditched the trolls soon as he found his biodad which seem to run smack in opposition to their teaser trailers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The trolls are nasty little thieving shits and imho I was a proponent of their extermination.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Trailers made it look like they repurposed garbage. Nope! They’re stealing wheels off carriages and stuff. gently caress em

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Man I've said it before but Into the Spider-Verse just looks so fuckin' good.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Sony produces some real crap but they actually experiment too. Must be weird at that studio, you can either be hired to work on sonething minblowing like Spuderverse or you can get assigned to The Star or The Emoji Movie. Can’t think of another studio with those crazy highs and lows

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I think it's just that they had no idea what they were doing when they hired Lord and Miller for Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, and got real lucky. And since then, both minions and The Lego Movie came out and they've been chasing their own dragons. Probably would be better off trying to do something new rather than aping the rest of the industry, cause it's fairly evident that Illumination/Disney/Warner's Lego Features have captured their respective markets.

Reminder, Sony killed both Lauren Faust's Medusa feature and Gendy Tartakovsky's Popeye film (which looked gorgeous). So unless your last name is Lord or Miller, or even Sandler, as far as Sony's concerned you can go gently caress yourself.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Reminder, Sony killed both Lauren Faust's Medusa feature and Gendy Tartakovsky's Popeye film (which looked gorgeous). So unless your last name is Lord or Miller, or even Sandler, as far as Sony's concerned you can go gently caress yourself.

As great as the test footage for Popeye was, I can’t imagine it would have made the studio much money.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Gendy is so good at motion in his animation. His characters in his CG movies move so differently from everything else around, and they work much better for physical humor that is kinda hard to do in 3D animation.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

dirksteadfast posted:

As great as the test footage for Popeye was, I can’t imagine it would have made the studio much money.

Yeah, it wasn't that Sony killed it so much as Tartakovsky bailed on the project because he was unwilling to play nice with the studio's demands and since the whole film was his passion project from the start it withered on the vine and died without him driving it. The same thing happened with Medusa, Faust left the movie after a year of development citing nebulous "creative differences".

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Between Into the Spiderverse and the latest spider-man game Sony seems to be pumping some serious funding into reviving Spider-Man. The game is so polished that I'm convinced they were willing to lose money on its development just to improve the brand. From the trailer Into the Spiderverse seems flashy enough that it might be a similar deal, or at the very least they were willing to take a chance with where they spent their money.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Does make me wonder if Sony is trying to get out in front in case the MCU stumbles.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does make me wonder if Sony is trying to get out in front in case the MCU stumbles.

more like the inverse, they're capitalizing on the success of the MCU Spider-man while also trying to get a solid foundation for their own Spider-man that doesn't profit share with Marvel

Moon Atari posted:

Between Into the Spiderverse and the latest spider-man game Sony seems to be pumping some serious funding into reviving Spider-Man. The game is so polished that I'm convinced they were willing to lose money on its development just to improve the brand. From the trailer Into the Spiderverse seems flashy enough that it might be a similar deal, or at the very least they were willing to take a chance with where they spent their money.

if I were a betting man, I'd guess the sole reason Into The Spider-Verse got any traction at all inside Sony was because they greenlit the Venom movie, with the expectation that any money lost by Spider-Verse would be made up by Venom being a massive success

course I'm not sure how big a success a PG-13 Venom movie is gonna be, but at the very least it's probably the movie that all the suits are circling around and focus-group'ing to death, leaving Spider-Verse relatively free to do it's own thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I really hope that Spider-Verse has Japanese Spider-man show up.

He actually showed up in the big comics crossover event, with his giant robot as the heroes' trump card.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why was there never another Tintin movie after the one Spielberg made? Seemed like it was set on being a continuing series (and there's obviously little shortage of existing stories you already have for Tintin).

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Why was there never another Tintin movie after the one Spielberg made? Seemed like it was set on being a continuing series (and there's obviously little shortage of existing stories you already have for Tintin).

Wasn't it a passion project for Spielberg, Jackson and Wright at the same time? and obviously all three have their schedules filled
Herge heirs/Tintin owners are probably stingy about the license and the first movie did not exactly set the world on fire.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I figured they banked on it being a blockbuster instead of a decently profitable film.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Spider-Man PS4 is also Marvel's jump into a sort of MCU like gaming universe. Which is loving awesome because it's been poo poo mobile games for years until they were like "Welp, Activision's done with him and Disney Infinity is dead".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Spielberg said very recently there’s going to be another Tintin film, but nothing will move till about 2020.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

my inanimate rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really liked the Tintin film actually.