Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
PSA

Caves of Qud is currently $9 and is probably one of the best and most insane roguelike around.

If you have a fetish for top down dungeon crawlers and have accepted your damnation, this is easily up there with Cataclysm DDA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Fidelitious cat taxxe

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lord Stimperor posted:

Can someone who knows computers please make an animation where Disco Lando peeks in through the door with his dirty grin like in that interview with :crobear:

buckle up, the thread's about to go for a ride :neckbeard:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lladre posted:

Watermelons do not grow on trees you Suburbanite.

in my world they do.
in my world women grow on trees too.
in my world trees grow on trees also.

checkmate tree-hater!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

space-X-chicken posted:

in my world they do.
in my world women grow on trees too.
in my world trees grow on trees also.

checkmate tree-hater!

He isn't lying

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

Chris Roberts just needs to disrupt the watermelon on vines paradigm!

salame

how did you sneek into my garden?

anyways thank you very much sir! i rest my case

on a serious note: i was aware that watermelons (and i friggin love matermelons) grow ON THE GROUND. but a watermelon-tree is just way cooler that a watermelon-bush or somethin. and SC thrives on coolness right?

on a even seriouser note: when this threat was discussing pizzas i did not have an account so i could not chime in. but pizza is a very important topic to me as well. so as a european i would have to say a bit about this as well!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Did someone make this yet?

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Lord Stimperor posted:

There was this one although I don't remember who made it (it's in this thread somewhere).

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
By the way, where did the 'make the blue pixel green' thing come from? Is that an actual phrase that croberts said back in the day?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Stimperor posted:

He isn't lying

i'm havin a real phoenix wright moment now...

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Lord Stimperor posted:

Switch the pixels, please, to make it accurate. Until then this remains easily disprovable FUD.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

boviscopophobic posted:

There was this one although I don't remember who made it (it's in this thread somewhere).

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Switch the pixels, please, to make it accurate. Until then this remains easily disprovable FUD.

:negative:

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Fidelitious posted:

By the way, where did the 'make the blue pixel green' thing come from? Is that an actual phrase that croberts said back in the day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuA-zV6B4vQ&feature=youtu.be&t=2h11m25s

2 hours 11 minutes 25 seconds into this video of Warren Spector and Richard Garriott talking about things.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

It's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuA-zV6B4vQ&t=7885s

quote:

Game design by decree. Which really was the way Chris Roberts operated, in many respects. The good part about Chris Roberts was when he had the vision for what a Wing Commander was going to be, and he came and sat down and pitched it to us all, we all went “drat he’s right.” It’s gonna work. He could describe it in a way that you just knew he was right, and it was going to work. And so we invested in it. And he was right, it did work. The downside of that was, when you went to work with Chris Roberts, you did everything EXACTLY the way he said to do it, period. Or you were fired almost immediately. No second chances. He was very explicit with what he wanted, and you either did it that way, or you were not part of his team.” I literally heard him say “make that pixel blue, not green” So it was a place where only certain individuals could survive it. And they had to be very talented, but on the other hand, they also had to be very subservient in their demeanor.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fidelitious posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBjUdnAt1GM

its from this clip. i'm way to drunk to give you the timestamp (im on holidays you smegheads) but the warren spector will mention this sometime during the video.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

In a world where huge ships can hover and people ride speederbikes why does that car have wheels..?

I'm overthinking it arent I.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

awww yeah, love that captain's hat.

Too busy to join in, but here's some inspiration from last time:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

one question beet: who is you on this pic?
(i know you're an insider...)

EDIT: i'm havin another phoenix wright moment!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

To be fair the pressure falls off with age, so you have to compensate with hip movements.

This sounds like some serious mocap work. :allears:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

I was about to say this collaborative effort is like the Sgt Pepper of this, the BDSSE (Best Derek Smart Subforum Ever) but I remembered there's an actual Sgt Pepper parody that is :perfect:

What a scary and magnificent journey it's been. Long live the new flesh!

e: I had a serious question- does MoMA still post? Or has even he been right-sized? :ohdear:

ee: there was no right-sizing Ben (that's why he was fired [Ben fat])

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 25, 2018

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Finally could watch this.

I guess good job? I mean the main character didn't die on any doors at least.

I'm glad nobody at CIG ever understood why when people develop this stuff they do it with boxes, or minimal characters and such. Having all these fidelity warriors dying like Minecraft zombie waves except with less motion is embarrassing.

I seriously think the only way to save this is to have more sales. The art department gets to work overtime from now until citcon to compensate for the lack of actual development with pretend development.

Also looking like this is just the setup for when Chris Roberts plays this level. He's not uh "good with games" so the enemies need to move just a little bit not much, and they need to be ready to die if the big boss kind of points at them and fires a gun in the general direction. They must die as if headshot from team ninja.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
No worries Commando, MoMa posted pretty recently. Probably just 3-4 pages ago.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Elite Tier: Add this flag. Animated.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

space-X-chicken posted:

one question beet: who is you on this pic?
(i know you're an insider...)

EDIT: i'm havin another phoenix wright moment!

I'm hiding under the parpman face, pls no doxx

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op7tLkJaTN4&t=773s
(if you can stomach a minute of this, it's pretty amazing)

Disco has absolved himself.

edit- i mean for fucks sake how smooth is your brain that you trust what this man says https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op7tLkJaTN4&t=923s

Morphix fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 25, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Morphix posted:

I stomached a minute. Why did you ask me to watch that.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I stomached a minute. Why did you ask me to watch that.

mostly to make sure I wasn't hallucinating a man in no uncertain terms explaining to backers that the entire premise of the show is a farce and that is good and normal

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Morphix posted:

edit- i mean for fucks sake how smooth is your brain that you trust what this man says

I have never before heard the insult "how smooth is your brain" and now I plan to use it every hour for the rest of my life.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I did 5 minutes

The guy just stammers on and on about another mechanic they're thinking about maybe looking at doing sometime down the road

Who cares , do backers still care ?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Morphix posted:

edit- i mean for fucks sake how smooth is your brain that you trust what this man says https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op7tLkJaTN4&t=923s

"We aren't ignoring your questions, we're just answering the softball/dreamcrafting/scope-busting questions that keep the whale's wallets open. The tough questions that actually hold us accountable as developers, we'll maybe get to a few of those months later, after we've spent enough time crafting more lies, history re-writing and doublethink to cover our tracks."

-The Most Open Game Development Project in History

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 25, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah Jared we definitely know exactly what you are after 4 years.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Blue On Blue posted:

I did 5 minutes

The guy just stammers on and on about another mechanic they're thinking about maybe looking at doing sometime down the road

There are about 10-20k people who still tune in and lap this bullshit up, like it will all be in the game within the next few months when CIG can't even create a working flight model. Most of them seem to be whales and so delusional that they have resigned themselves to defend this mess to the bitter end. They also are the second lifers, all of the old school space sim enthusiasts have long moved on, now its just people dreaming of emancipation from their mom's basement into an exciting and fulfilling life in space. The actual mechanics and state of the game mean almost nothing to them, as long as "development" continues, they can continue to dream. No amount of incompetence or greed from CIG or reasoned arguments from any of us will ever save them. Like Starloop, they have to eventually reach a personal internal breaking point in which the light of reality and self-awareness comes crashing into their literal and figurative basements.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 25, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hey I've been out of the Star Citizen news mix for awhile. I seem to remember looking at the thread some few hundred pages ago and seeing some post quoting Chris Roberts getting really indignant and defending the decision to charge money for the convention, but now I can't find it. Did I dream that or was it real? Can someone link me? Thanks.

Dark Off posted:

https://youtu.be/E0YYKIjEC0E?t=281 what OCS is
https://youtu.be/E0YYKIjEC0E?t=3421 its been 3 years since they started working on OCS.

Listening to Lando talk about OCS is so painful, its super obvious he has no idea what is going on in a game engine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Morphix posted:

6 years into game development and "everything is still in flux"

You should have a complete design doc before you even start development lmao

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

6 years into game development and "everything is still in flux"

You should have a complete design doc before you even start development lmao

This project is allergic to design docs, or any kind of actual, written goals.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Who the gently caress came up with the process to holster your weapon?

Activate interaction mode.
Mouse over your gun.
Select an option from a menu.

Are you loving serious?

It's like Receiver, the little tech demo/game jam entry by Wolfire games whose whole premise is "you control a gun with excessive detail; from making sure the magazine is loaded to pulling back the slide etc. It's kind of amusing, but it's not trying to be a "real" FPS game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/234190/Receiver/

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Blue On Blue posted:

I did 5 minutes

Backers care enough to still apparently fund a multinational EA-type studio. Instead of games full of loot boxes though, the game is a loot box.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

colonelwest posted:

There are about 10-20k people who still tune in and lap this bullshit up, like it will all be in the game within the next few months when CIG can't even create a working flight model. Most of them seem to be whales and so delusional that they have resigned themselves to defend this mess to the bitter end. They also are the second lifers, all of the old school space sim enthusiasts have long moved on, now its just people dreaming of emancipation from their mom's basement into an exciting and fulfilling life in space. The actual mechanics and state of the game mean almost nothing to them, as long as "development" continues, they can continue to dream. No amount of incompetence or greed from CIG or reasoned arguments from any of us will ever save them. Like Starloop, they have to eventually reach a personal internal breaking point in which the light of reality and self-awareness comes crashing into their literal and figurative basements.

what is offensive data collection even supposed to mean in the context of even star citizen with all its promised features? do you collect their space social security number?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

corncobbot AI better than CIG's imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Frog Act posted:

what is offensive data collection even supposed to mean in the context of even star citizen with all its promised features? do you collect their space social security number?

"Hacking" and "scanning" in this context mean exactly the same thing.

'Offensive' use of electronic warfare (aside from scrambling their transmissions) would mean using the enemies trusted frequencies and codes to send bogus messages to sow chaos or lead them into a trap, or trick them into entering their SSN.

But it's not something that lends itself to a real-time, fun activity.

So yeah, I can definitely see CIG wasting lots of time trying to implement it.

Golli fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 25, 2018