Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Does Hjalti have any more major upgrades to look forward to, or is he mostly going to be just making his existing numbers bigger from here on out?

It would be nice if the expert-level Destruction spells that J'zargo was so interested in were actually worth a drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Depends on how Melth is handling his XP. Enough Muffles might get to Illusion 65, which lets you buy Invisibility and the Calm/Fear versions of Frenzy. Those work on all non-Mammoth animals without needing to put your Shout slot on Kyne's Peace / Animal Allegiance, among other things. Conjuration 65 gets you Conjure Dremora Lord, but good luck getting there without training and only using Flame Atronach! Dragonborn has some neat spells too, but I don't know how many Melth would glom onto.

Edward_Tohr posted:

It would be nice if the expert-level Destruction spells that J'zargo was so interested in were actually worth a drat.

Well, let's take a look.

Incinerate and its blue and blue (purple?) alternatives are basically bigger-damage, less magicka-efficient upgrades to Firebolt et al. They're viable with some cost reducers like the Archmage Robes and give decent XP, but not very exciting.

The Cloak spells pretty much only exist to add DPS to Bound Sword users (though they're fun for killing slaughterfish that are keeping you from fast traveling :D ). On Legendary if they're doing anything for a pure mage you're at risk of getting killed. Plus they're also stupid expensive and (in Vanilla anyway) cancel your summons if you cast one and don't benefit from the Augment perks.

Now, the Wall spells I've actually gotten quite fond of. I'm playing on PS4 vanilla where they only do 1/3rd the listed damage and also don't benefit from Augmented X, and they're still viable. If you're elemental atronach tanking like Melth is, throwing Walls into the fray that your summon is immune to can add a lot of safe DPS. The catch is that if your projectile actually hits an enemy, it doesn't make the wall, so for that instance you've just fired Flames at 10 times the cost. So they take some practice to get a hang of, but I think they're worth it. And make for a really colorful battlefield too, heh. And sometimes it's just fun to do stuff like using Fus or Paralyze to keep somebody in the AOE, or fill a room or hallway with damage and then block the way out in Ethereal form.

Slaan posted:

Well that fight against the first sphere almost turned out very, very badly :rip:

Yeah, if it'd been a Guardian that would've been the run. Spheres suck, no 2 ways about it; fast, tons of damage, immune to almost everything you can shut enemies down with. Kind of funny how they're the real danger in Dwemer ruins and centurions are almost always placed where you can trivialize them.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Blackreach is my favorite setpiece in Skyrim. A few dungeons in Dragonborn are close behind it, and there are little individual areas that are really neat, but Blackreach is a large area with lots of areas to explore and little dungeons. It is obvious that they were trying to do something similar with the soul cairn, but that one just doesn't work as well.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Blackreach certainly looks cool but it suffers from any level-scaled game suffers from: there's no point in exploring it; by the time you get there, any reward you can possibly find is practically worthless because you've already found it a million times or can easily make something better yourself.

And I'd be all for exploring for lore, except this, y'know, Skyrim and and at this point anything even remotely interesting about the TES world has been trampled upon, set on fire and pissed on the ever-more-generic direction Bethesda is taking it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 15, 2018

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I just had a grand time adventuring through Blackreach for hours and killing EVERYTHING in the whole place. Then I found out I'd had a recording issue and I've completely lost hours of footage. I need to redo the entire thing, so it's probably not going to be done for a week at least.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

anilEhilated posted:

Blackreach certainly looks cool but it suffers from any level-scaled game suffers from: there's no point in exploring it; by the time you get there, any reward you can possibly find is practically worthless because you've already found it a million times or can easily make something better yourself.

And I'd be all for exploring for lore, except this, y'know, Skyrim and and at this point anything even remotely interesting about the TES world has been trampled upon, set on fire and pissed on the ever-more-generic direction Bethesda is taking it.

Eh, I love hidden underground ruins or cities deep below other dungeons. The more levels you give me the more I like it. I just honestly like exploring these places. The leveling problem is a problem with the whole game, not just Blackreach. And loot can be sold for gold which can be used to buy new houses and is essentially your score for the game.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Well I had even more software trouble, but I finished Blackreach in one go! Such a great part of the questline.

Day 48-49: Humongous Fungus (part 1)

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Obviously the silent ruin was a dwarven suicide booth.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Seeing the centurion and the giant fight was pretty great and it's a shame there aren't more moments like that in the game. You get giants fighting dragons but like all things dragon in skyrim it's way lamer than it should be. Though I guess the centurion vs giant thing would also be boring if it happened more than once or twice.

Why the minute of darkness at the end?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I always thought that spinning trap thing was a sacrificial altar or an execution area with observers.

Fireball is such a satisfying spell. As long as you don't have followers. Or are around friendly/neutral NPCs. And have enough mana to cast it a couple of times.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I really like Blackreach, but it comes at the end of such a long dungeon that the first time I got there I just wanted to get out fast. Plus it was so hard to navigate there and I was already so loaded down I couldn't loot anything.

It was only on my second playthrough that I started exploring it properly and found out how cool it was.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

sweet geek swag posted:

Obviously the silent ruin was a dwarven suicide booth.

With a book from the future to remind you of all the stuff you'll miss out on!

MinistryofLard posted:

I really like Blackreach, but it comes at the end of such a long dungeon that the first time I got there I just wanted to get out fast. Plus it was so hard to navigate there and I was already so loaded down I couldn't loot anything.

It was only on my second playthrough that I started exploring it properly and found out how cool it was.

Yeah, I had a very similar experience.

Qrr posted:

Why the minute of darkness at the end?

To let you fine folks know how long to clap! I wouldn't want you to be stuck at your computer for hours wondering if it's too soon. Especially with the irony of having just told you to have a great day!

Your guess is as good as mine though. My editing software apparently created that minute of darkness on its own initiative when I exported the file; it's not actually in the editable version.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Blackreach's greatest secret... is actually pretty famous now I think, but here it is for anyone not in the know!

Day 48-49: Humongous Fungus (part 2)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh jeez, for some reason I never noticed that the Falmer in the Silent City had voiced lines. That's a pretty big deal!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Hjalti should use his Vampire Lord form to hover over bodies of water if he's so desperate to keep his feet dry. That or go over to Solstheim to get some potions of waterwalking or that unique set of waterwalking boots.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Joke run concept: no restrictions whatsoever on what skills you're allowed to use, but if you ever hear the splashing sound while you have shoes on, you have to throw the boots away and put new ones on once you're out of the water. If you run out of boots, restart the entire run

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Joke run concept: no restrictions whatsoever on what skills you're allowed to use, but if you ever hear the splashing sound while you have shoes on, you have to throw the boots away and put new ones on once you're out of the water. If you run out of boots, restart the entire run

Wait, you mean you don't already do that on every run?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
The long-awaited fight with Alduin!

Days 50-51: Alduinterrupted

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Melth posted:

Wait, you mean you don't already do that on every run?

If I run out of boots, I tough out walking around barefoot in the hellish cold. I got myself into this shoe-less predicament, and now I have to live with it until I can get another good pair of boots!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Another week of technical problems unfortunately! And work has been incredibly busy too, so I may be as late as next Sunday.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Days 51-53: Arngeiring Up

It's time to start advancing the main, dark brotherhood, vampire, and Arngiel quests again!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

To be fair on idiot npc #23865, discussing murder in the inn in Markath is probably fairly common and no one will care. Same way no one reacts at all to discussing crime, thieves guild or the dork brotherhood anywhere in Riften regardless of how many people or guards are standing nearby.

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017
You know the whole way stolen goods are handled in Skyrim is kind of silly.

"Hey, that's the apple Farmer Karl reported stolen 3 months ago!"

"... are you sure?"

"Absolutely positive. We'll be confiscating that."

Most of the items you steal are so generic there'd be no way to identify where they came from (unless you stole like 8000 of them and the reasonable suspicion was that any of that item is likely being trafficked).
Not to mention that guards in one hold know that the item was stolen even if you got it from a hold on the side of Skyrim. The guards have a really good communication network.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

RandomMagus posted:

You know the whole way stolen goods are handled in Skyrim is kind of silly.

"Hey, that's the apple Farmer Karl reported stolen 3 months ago!"

"... are you sure?"

"Absolutely positive. We'll be confiscating that."

Most of the items you steal are so generic there'd be no way to identify where they came from (unless you stole like 8000 of them and the reasonable suspicion was that any of that item is likely being trafficked).
Not to mention that guards in one hold know that the item was stolen even if you got it from a hold on the side of Skyrim. The guards have a really good communication network.

Except for the fact that they don't know what crimes you've committed in other holds as well.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

So uhh... Why can't Paathurnax fly you to Sovngarde?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

MinistryofLard posted:

So uhh... Why can't Paathurnax fly you to Sovngarde?

For people who think Paarthunax is secretly evil, the fact that he doesn’t is probably taken as a clue that he’s ultimately self-serving and would rather make you jump through silly hoops while thousands of people suffer a fate worse than death than risk having his existence and location revealed.

I think though that either the writers just didn’t consider it (same with capturing some other random dragon) or the location is supposed to be a top secret one only created after Paarthunax joined the humans.

Either way, the writing in this game can be a problem.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Melth posted:

For people who think Paarthunax is secretly evil, the fact that he doesn’t is probably taken as a clue that he’s ultimately self-serving and would rather make you jump through silly hoops while thousands of people suffer a fate worse than death than risk having his existence and location revealed.

I think though that either the writers just didn’t consider it (same with capturing some other random dragon) or the location is supposed to be a top secret one only created after Paarthunax joined the humans.

Either way, the writing in this game can be a problem.

Even if Paarthurnax is evil, he wants to rule the dragons, not destroy the world. He would help you kill Alduin.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They made and coded a set piece and by god theyre gonna use it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If I'm gonna make an excuse for the writing, the greybeards are seen with great reverence and prestige. Having it known that a dragon founded and leads their order might have side effects.

But you could also just not tell anyone Paarthurnax is their leader and make it a moot point.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Paarthurnax has that form of Agoraphobia, where your house is a mountain and you're afraid to leave the mountain.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Melth posted:

I must be misreading/misunderstanding this, but Alduin already knows where Paarthurnax is (he attacked Hjalti on the Throat of the World while Hjalti was paralyzed by the Scroll and Paarthurnax held him off till Hjalti came to his senses). Who else would Paarthurnax be trying to hide from?

"Paarthurnax doesn't know the location of the portal" is about the best excuse we can come up with, I think. It would have been nice if the developers had at least thought of the possibility and tossed in some dialogue wherein Paarthurnax refuses to leave the Throat of the World, if you think to go and ask him about it.

e: vvv They already know where he is, too, as we learn during this very quest. And based on how they act, it seems like the Greybeards know that they know.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 15, 2018

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I must be misreading/misunderstanding this, but Alduin already knows where Paarthurnax is (he attacked Hjalti on the Throat of the World while Hjalti was paralyzed by the Scroll and Paarthurnax held him off till Hjalti came to his senses). Who else would Paarthurnax be trying to hide from?

The humans who killed all the other dragons.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009

Zeniel posted:

Paarthurnax has that form of Agoraphobia, where your house is a mountain and you're afraid to leave the mountain.

Stoop dragon's afraid to leave his stoop!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Unless I totally misremember this plotline, you don't know where Alduin's portal is, and the whole thing of needing to fly there on a dragon doesn't come up until after you've caught the one in Whiterun. I mean, Paarthunax ought to know, but it's possible Alduin kept his portal secret way back then.

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: vvv They already know where he is, too, as we learn during this very quest. And based on how they act, it seems like the Greybeards know that they know.

They know, but you need to know the Clear Skies shout to actually reach the perch. The Graybeards and the Dragonborn are the only ones with the power to get there.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Reinbach posted:

Stoop dragon's afraid to leave his stoop!

Alternatively, Paarthurnax knows that he's got the hottest dragon spot in all of Skyrim. So if he tries to leave it for too long another dragon will just snatch it up.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hjalti encounters his greatest foe to date: a stationary object that won't do what it's supposed to.

Days 53-54: Convection Detection

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Now those are some kids who know full drat well they're invincible video game children.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's really stressful when you spend so much time at half health around enemies that can kill you in two hits. Especially since the video itself is on the shorter end. :ohdear:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Even enemy stealth archers are murder beasts in Skyrim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

If dragons do not care about time, why does Al Du In care about being born first?

It is because he is a butthead.