Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

awww yeah, love that captain's hat.

Too busy to join in, but here's some inspiration from last time:

it's beautiful that this has been going for so long that this feels like a trip down memory lane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Who's the bunny man?

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Hobold posted:

This project is allergic to design docs, or any kind of actual, written goals.

There are too design documents! You see, Chris found these golden plates...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

it's beautiful that this has been going for so long that this feels like a trip down memory lane

I know, right? I just noticed that this copy has a screencap of what I think is me getting banned from /r/starcitizen on it. I must have decided to add that in in some kind of fever dream, for some bizarre reason. I wondered why that was so recent in my imgur uploads lol

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 25, 2018

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

There are too design documents! You see, Chris found these golden plates...

Dum dum dum dum dum!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Who's the bunny man?

Live in blissful ignorance my friend.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Live in blissful ignorance my friend.
Naw man, I gotta know. I read Ben Lesnik's blog, I can handle a furry.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

I know, right? I just noticed that this copy has a screencap of what I think is me getting banned from /r/starcitizen on it. I must have decided to add that in in some kind of fever dream, for some bizarre reason. I wondered why that was so recent in my imgur uploads lol

every detail is great. the toast mug lol

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

No.

You can't.

Look there are things in this world you don't know about. That you don't want to know about. We in the Store Citizer thread have seen these things, and we know.

And in a part of you you don't talk about at your parties, you want us on that wall. You need us on that wall. And I don't think I remember the rest of the rant, but

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE BUNNY MAN!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Still funny.

Still sad.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

PSA

Caves of Qud is currently $9 and is probably one of the best and most insane roguelike around.

If you have a fetish for top down dungeon crawlers and have accepted your damnation, this is easily up there with Cataclysm DDA.

I need this on the Switch. :/

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Dark Off posted:

https://youtu.be/E0YYKIjEC0E?t=281 what OCS is
https://youtu.be/E0YYKIjEC0E?t=3421 its been 3 years since they started working on OCS.

All I can hear:

This is one of the most socially awkward things I've seen from them and I watched Chris corncobbing on stage for 15+ mins on at least two different occasions lol.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
3 years on OCS. I can't imagine.

I could do 3 years working on the same game, but 3 years working on the same feature??? That's just madness.

Lol I bet the people working on OCS right now weren't even with the company 3 years ago, and the people who were working on it for a year probably fuckin left.

E: Also this is technology that WoW had in 2004. Its basic, really basic engine poo poo and they can't figure it out after 3 years, and they pretend its somehow cutting-edge to cover their incompetence

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

I could do 3 years working on the same game, but 3 years working on the same feature??? That's just madness.

Lol I bet the people working on OCS right now weren't even with the company 3 years ago, and the people who were working on it for a year probably fuckin left.

E: Also this is technology that WoW had in 2004. Its basic, really basic engine poo poo and they can't figure it out after 3 years, and they pretend its somehow cutting-edge to cover their incompetence

Three years working on a feature that should have already been in the engine, and even if it wasn't, could likely be picked up as a drat 3rd party plugin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hobold posted:

Three years working on a feature that should have already been in the engine, and even if it wasn't, could likely be picked up as a drat 3rd party plugin.

Seriously. Every open world game does this. GTA does this just fine, and has been doing so since PS2 era. They're so terribly incompetent.

Lando even has to concede in that video "so, we're not re-inventing the wheel here... its that we're adapting the wheel to a scale that's previously unheard of"

And the other jackoff says "we're probably one of the bigger games ever envisioned at this point" :rolleyes: and then admits everything they've done so far have been small contained bubbles and they haven't really done any persistent universe stuff yet, which is ... fundamental to the design.

Star Citizen: We have envisioned such things you cannot believe. Probably the most things envisioned ever. Haven't actually built any of it though.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
For them to actually be building, even on a crumbling foundation, there has to be a foundation there in the first place.

Watching this poo poo, is like watching them try to build a house in a vacuum, and when it falls over, build an extension on top, that also collapses, ect.

Soo much of the poo poo they've been slaving over the past how many years, should have already been in cryengine.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
For some reason I'm reminded of the dev diaries of Red Faction Guerrilla, talking about having to each their environment artists basic architecture, so all the structures they were making to blow up, would stop falling over when they turned on gravity.

CIG needs architecture 101. And coding 101. networking 101. And soo many more classes.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Tbh, if work and life, kids, wife, extended family didn't take up all my time, I would honest to God sit down and work on a space game just to poo poo on Star Citizen.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Is the Banu Merchantman flyable yet? Or still in concept?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

"What are serialized variables?"

Oh boy Lando.

"So its like in golf, when you put a quarter down to mark the ball, and then you pick up the ball. The ball's not there anymore, but you know where it goes"

I don't even know how to begin with like... how far he is away from the proper context here.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, I always saw them as savegames. Its like the save-state file?"
"Yeah, exactly."

No. I mean... on an absolutely fundamental level yes maybe? But only when you reduce everything down to the most fundamental... I mean yes, saving a game does involve serializing variables, but not in the same way you serialize data to send from server to client...

"short form information that means long term stuff?"
"So... compression? Not ... not exactly as such"

At least they're honest with him that he's totally off-base here

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

no_recall posted:

What does your heart tell you?

https://starcitizentracker.github.io/ships#banu

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

"What are serialized variables?"

Oh boy Lando.

"So its like in golf, when you put a quarter down to mark the ball, and then you pick up the ball. The ball's not there anymore, but you know where it goes"

I don't even know how to begin with like... how far he is away from the proper context here.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, I always saw them as savegames. Its like the save-state file?"
"Yeah, exactly."

No. I mean... on an absolutely fundamental level yes maybe? But only when you reduce everything down to the most fundamental... I mean yes, saving a game does involve serializing variables, but not in the same way you serialize data to send from server to client...

"short form information that means long term stuff?"
"So... compression? Not ... not exactly as such"

At least they're honest with him that he's totally off-base here

Its hilarious that they no longer have any conversation to hold aside from diving deeper into "programming lingo" turning everyone into armchair devs. The conversations we've been having are always about "network culling", "serialized vegetables", "object container streaming", [insert cool programming smeg here].

I would be ashamed to even talk about these "features" on a livestream with the devs who work on the code. These are not features, they are functions. And even after so many years, these functions don't exist because they break the engine.

I can't stop laughing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Seriously this OCS video is insane. Its the blind leading the blind. The 'expert engineering guy' in the room attempting to explain what they're working on doesn't know what he's talking about, and the other 3 just take everything he's saying as gospel because they definitely don't know what he's talking about.

Insane. Simply insane.

"If we've got the tech written, if we've got the code, where are the hours going right now?"

"Right now? Okay... uh.... So we've got the async entity loading working... we've got the ranged based decision making working... we've got bind culling working... we have to fit those things together"

WHAT?

"So the streaming manager says 'these entities are out of range, you don't need them', then bind culling will relay those messages, the client will drop them, that's fine. But when you come in range, the client will do a blocking spawn"

This is such baby engine 101 basic poo poo, the idea that each of these steps is some gargantuan task...

It should have been obvious 6 years ago you'd need asynchronous asset loading, and it should have taken less than a month to get working! Christ.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

no_recall posted:

dude they're not even working on it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

like legit a couple months ago they dropped a new piece of concept art, which was the first thing Merchantman owners had seen in years and then went "yeah I mean that's on the back burner"

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

"If we've got the tech written, if we've got the code, where are the hours going right now?"

"Right now? Okay... uh.... So we've got the async entity loading working... we've got the ranged based decision making working... we've got bind culling working... we have to fit those things together"

WHAT?

"So the streaming manager says 'these entities are out of range, you don't need them', then bind culling will relay those messages, the client will drop them, that's fine. But when you come in range, the client will do a blocking spawn"

I need to do a post about how exactly insane this sounds. Like saying "the client will drop them" implies that it was sent over the network and the client is responsible for sorting through the messages. That's supremely stupid for 2 reasons:

1. Not secure, there's nothing stopping a hack from capturing the data and giving the player an easy wallhack
2. Not scaleable, if you're not filtering the players by distance at the server level and leaving it to the client, that's going to result in the client being overloaded filtering which of the 100 10 nearby players to display.

I honestly think they may have practiced telling Chris wrong information for so long that they've got it confused in their own head.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 25, 2018

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Meh. That's like, just about exactly as bad as I was expecting.

Also, I looked up the star system his Realdoll is from:
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Fora_system

Fora system posted:

....perpetual HyperClay dust storms
Why is HyperClay a camel-cased proper noun? Also can't wait to see how they make lovely, sticky engine-fouling dust work.

Fora II posted:

A coreless world that has few remaining resources after being thoroughly mined for the last few decades.
....Does the Star Citizen setting even really have the "scope" or "tech level" to be completely mining out the interior of a planet for metal? In a few decades? That's some Warhammer 40k or EVE Online poo poo. And if they were mining out the entire planet, why is it otherwise a barren desolate empty system with nobody but pirates? You'd think there'd at least be some huge city full of destitute former miners and such.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lmao loving Lando can't help but say "hey guys when this feature does finally go live its a huge deal so its gonna be super buggy"

He's gotta let you down easy, cushion that blow

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

like legit a couple months ago they dropped a new piece of concept art, which was the first thing Merchantman owners had seen in years and then went "yeah I mean that's on the back burner"

I hope it was sexy concept art.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously this OCS video is insane. Its the blind leading the blind. The 'expert engineering guy' in the room attempting to explain what they're working on doesn't know what he's talking about, and the other 3 just take everything he's saying as gospel because they definitely don't know what he's talking about.

Insane. Simply insane.

WHAT?

This is such baby engine 101 basic poo poo, the idea that each of these steps is some gargantuan task...

It should have been obvious 6 years ago you'd need asynchronous asset loading, and it should have taken less than a month to get working! Christ.

Its already in Unity and Unreal off the free shelf.

Lol.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I'm pressing E to post in the thread over and over until the funny things repeat. I'm glad bunny man is back. All we need now is guy on toilet man and another round of AdzAdama to help smooth the trail out.

The only thing left now is another concept sale!!! Get ya money ready!!!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

I'm pressing E to post in the thread over and over until the funny things repeat. I'm glad bunny man is back. All we need now is guy on toilet man and another round of AdzAdama to help smooth the trail out.

The only thing left now is another concept sale!!! Get ya money ready!!!

You bet its coming soon. Keep rubbing.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Citizen CON is 15 days away

It feels like Christmas honestly, because we can look forward to such an extravagant gently caress up by Chris once again

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Who's the bunny man?

The bunnyman is Kazan.

When he complains about goons doxxing him he's talking about people posting this image of him leaving for work on a Monday morning.

Just another day at the office for that Kazan.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Meh. That's like, just about exactly as bad as I was expecting.

Also, I looked up the star system his Realdoll is from:
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Fora_system

Why is HyperClay a camel-cased proper noun? Also can't wait to see how they make lovely, sticky engine-fouling dust work.

....Does the Star Citizen setting even really have the "scope" or "tech level" to be completely mining out the interior of a planet for metal? In a few decades? That's some Warhammer 40k or EVE Online poo poo. And if they were mining out the entire planet, why is it otherwise a barren desolate empty system with nobody but pirates? You'd think there'd at least be some huge city full of destitute former miners and such.

Somewhere in the Lore is a half-completed full-sized artificial planet that almost bankrupted the Empire building it. So yeah they have the technology to do it, but I guess at some stage they decided to go back to moving things around in crates by grabbyhand :shrug:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

corncobbot AI better than CIG's imho

such thread, wow. much enjoyment!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I was about to say this collaborative effort is like the Sgt Pepper of this, the BDSSE (Best Derek Smart Subforum Ever) but I remembered there's an actual Sgt Pepper parody that is :perfect:

What a scary and magnificent journey it's been. Long live the new flesh!

e: I had a serious question- does MoMA still post? Or has even he been right-sized? :ohdear:

ee: there was no right-sizing Ben (that's why he was fired [Ben fat])

(all goon valor to Galorox)

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Thoatse posted:

(all goon valor to Galorox)

Oh yeah what ever happened to Money (the guy)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

They're gonna show some scripted poo poo at the con that will show about two and a half minutes of gameplay that doesn't actually exist, show a bunch of slides promising features that are "coming soon, honestly!", show some concept art ships that will never be put into the game with a big 'SALE' sign on them and say making games is hard and still get funded for the next year

At this point the only thing that will stop the whales propping this shitshow up is if they all physically die of old age