Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
google music manager, the uploader for google play music, had some weird ui bugs and i was having trouble uploading songs so i uninstalled it and the installer won't let me select folders so i guess i should stop using google play music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

more like google no music

also just because s4b sucks poo poo doesnt mean sametime is good.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the ui sucks rear end, there are too many endless settings panes full of checkboxes presented in an unfriendly way, the process for sharing your screen with another human is batshit... but like, text chat works so that's nice.
i'm very glad we eventually just said "screw it, guess we'll use slack" so i can ignore it exists.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
icq had working video chat over dial up and dsl

:jerkbag:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

google search now is just straight up dropping search terms when it wants to show you something else. whenever I'm looking for something specific or technical I keep getting a ton of results for pop science or general overview pages with "Missing: every critical search term" at the bottom.

If didn't want those terms in the returned results I wouldn't have put those terms in the loving search query. what jackass got a promotion for this great google idea?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

google search now is just straight up dropping search terms when it wants to show you something else. whenever I'm looking for something specific or technical I keep getting a ton of results for pop science or general overview pages with "Missing: every critical search term" at the bottom.

If didn't want those terms in the returned results I wouldn't have put those terms in the loving search query. what jackass got a promotion for this great google idea?

this is not a new feature

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

it has been there for years but they've gotten a hell of a lot more aggressive about it within the last month or so. or at least they have on whatever a/b test I'm a part of.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
thank goodness for "verbatim". good thing they hid it under a layer of search options

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

google makes money with targeted ads

targeted ads are shown when search results are returned

therefore it is in google's best interest to return search results every time, even if they are irrelevant

what are you going to do? use bing?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

syscall girl posted:

this is not a new feature
no but now they helpfully put the "did you really mean you wanted to include term?" links

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i had a search where google first altered one of my search terms because it thought i had misspelled it, then the top results didn't have the altered search term in them, and had the helpful link of "must include [altered search term]"

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

therefore it is in google's best interest to return search results every time, even if they are irrelevant

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sagebrush posted:

a better conspiracy imo is that they are directing you to perform searches which they have higher ad rates on.

people aren't buying keyword ads on strings of super technical terms, so discourage people from using them!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
did you mean copd?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

all search queries now return results or "mesothelioma attorney". on a reddit thread discussing the change /u/butthuffer summed up the general sentiment by saying "well it is annoying but what are we going to do, use bing?"

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
google search sucks badly and ive just started using duckduckgo because at least it actually returns results for what im searching for, gg google

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

syscall girl posted:

did you mean copd?

The signs at the airport that say which electronics you have to take out of your bag now include CPAP machines on the list

Laptops, tablets, DVD players, and CPAP machines

What the gently caress has happened to this country that we've started talking about fat person breathing apparatus in the same vein as a portable computer

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
arby

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

obv. theres no way for a layperson to know this but i have to assume theres some percentage of people who know what theyre doing and how to search for things for whom this behavior is an active impediment and then theres everyone else. of the everyone else i wonder what percentage has no idea how to use the "missing term did you want to require it?" or other options to refine the search and whether that group is larger than the competent users who just wished it didnt try to infer what the user needed

i still have to assume that the group with the largest representation is the one for whom the spelling corrections and dropped search terms are actually helpful but maybe im naive

tho as a nontechnical google user ive found that googles predictions and corrections are more helpful than not in daily use

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sagebrush posted:

What the gently caress has happened to this country that we've started talking about fat person breathing apparatus in the same vein as a portable computer

achieving a 40% obesity rate

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

LastInLine posted:

obv. theres no way for a layperson to know this but i have to assume theres some percentage of people who know what theyre doing and how to search for things for whom this behavior is an active impediment and then theres everyone else. of the everyone else i wonder what percentage has no idea how to use the "missing term did you want to require it?" or other options to refine the search and whether that group is larger than the competent users who just wished it didnt try to infer what the user needed

i still have to assume that the group with the largest representation is the one for whom the spelling corrections and dropped search terms are actually helpful but maybe im naive

tho as a nontechnical google user ive found that googles predictions and corrections are more helpful than not in daily use

the second group clicks more ads.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

the second group clicks more ads.

id wager that theyre the only group which clicks ads but at the same time theyre also probably the group who cares least about anything because they have no idea what theyre doing or why theyre doing it

if youre google theres little reason to try to cater to the highly technical as theyre never going to respond to an ad and your best hope is delivering relevant ads to the middle group who want results and are okay with the predictions

im not sure theres a solution for people who want highly specialized results but are unwilling to play ball with any business model. this forum is full of computer touchers who are willing to fight to the death to not give data to google and while i understand why its obv. theres not a way to provide them with a useful service while also remaining in business

i guess im wondering if theres even some pie in the sky hypothetical way any company could provide both useful products and services and not be a cyberpunk dystopian nightmare? i tend to think there isnt tho that might be a failure of imagination on my part

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

i guess im wondering if theres even some pie in the sky hypothetical way any company could provide both useful products and services and not be a cyberpunk dystopian nightmare? i tend to think there isnt tho that might be a failure of imagination on my part

if only there was a way to provide useful products and services without tracking and rummaging through users’ data. I bet the first company to figure this out will be worth a trillion dollars.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

The signs at the airport that say which electronics you have to take out of your bag now include CPAP machines on the list

Laptops, tablets, DVD players, and CPAP machines

what happened is that there is a ludicrous amount of restriction at airports for no good reason.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

if only there was a way to provide useful products and services without tracking and rummaging through users’ data. I bet the first company to figure this out will be worth a trillion dollars.

apple services are laughably bad

if thats the limit of the possible without data mining id say its not worth pursuing at all

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

LastInLine posted:

id wager that theyre the only group which clicks ads but at the same time theyre also probably the group who cares least about anything because they have no idea what theyre doing or why theyre doing it

if youre google theres little reason to try to cater to the highly technical as theyre never going to respond to an ad and your best hope is delivering relevant ads to the middle group who want results and are okay with the predictions

im not sure theres a solution for people who want highly specialized results but are unwilling to play ball with any business model. this forum is full of computer touchers who are willing to fight to the death to not give data to google and while i understand why its obv. theres not a way to provide them with a useful service while also remaining in business

it could be nationalized under the usps or run as a non-profit foundation like wikipedia

that doesn't make a small group of people fantastically wealthy though

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

LastInLine posted:

I suspect that it isn't so much that people are unwilling to play by any business model as it is the "free with ads" model sucks the air out of the room and it is very much in google's interest to make drat sure that no other business model takes hold for search.

it is annoying because the costs and revenue per user isn't crazy large, google (and Facebook, etc) just have such insanely large user bases. running the numbers from 2017 it looks like US revenue at google was roughly $48B annually and there were 280M US internet users. would you pay $15/month to have access to all of Google's desktop and mobile services tracking and ad-free with no AdWords ads displayed anywhere on the internet? I would (if I trusted that they would actually honor it).

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shifty Pony posted:

it is annoying because the costs and revenue per user isn't crazy large, google (and Facebook, etc) just have such insanely large user bases. running the numbers from 2017 it looks like US revenue at google was roughly $48B annually and there were 280M US internet users. would you pay $15/month to have access to all of Google's desktop and mobile services tracking and ad-free with no AdWords ads displayed anywhere on the internet? I would (if I trusted that they would actually honor it).

not only that but also tack on two decades of them working explicitly to the consumer's benefit rather than all that time and effort into gaming people into looking at more ads

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

maybe id pay but im sure not many others would. i also dont know that theres that much actual normal people opposition to tracking and advertising judging by how many people i see browsing the internet without any adblocking at all

i think those who know the extent and depth of things believe that if someone was just made aware of it theyd naturally be revolted by it but i dont necessarily believe thats the case. i think most people are a-ok with it if the services they get in return are seen to have value

if you used the people in this subforum as a reference youd think thered be armed revolution in the streets because the amazon echo exists but it turns out no literally everyone in my office has surveillance speakers throughout their homes because they like them. most people use facebook and use it often

i genuinely think most people are fine with how much theyre tracked and just dont care. i know i dont.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

apple services are laughably bad

if thats the limit of the possible without data mining id say its not worth pursuing at all

based on your multiple-paragraph screed about your google tablet, you seem fine using things that are laughably bad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

android tablets are so bad

like soooooo bad

i use this flight software that tells you about airspaces and stuff while you're flying, does gliding range calculations, lets you look up radio frequencies, all that helpful pilot stuff. i was gonna get a tablet to use it, but i wanted an android one because i have a bunch of android phone apps i've bought and i am used to the android ux and so on. didn't want to buy an entire ipad just for a single app.

but i literally could not find an android tablet on the market that wasn't crap. i ended up just going back to the 5.5" phone class and running the flight software on that instead because the alternatives were so bad

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

based on your multiple-paragraph screed about your google tablet, you seem fine using things that are laughably bad

oh you arent wrong there but we nerds never have problems with whatever bad thing weve chosen. after all we know why theyre bad and in what ways they fail and how to work around the failures and avoid the common pitfalls

apple services in my limited experience require the user to set everything up and manage them in such a way that things are just way more difficult than they should be. i know why theyre the way they are (and its for good reason if you value privacy which i dont) but id much rather it work without all the fuss

as an example i understand the reason continuity works the way it does but all of that just to do what web services do naturally is bonkers. yeah how about all of my devices have all of my data all the time thanks to the cloud and i dont have set any of this garbage up i just open a tab and there it all is

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

LastInLine posted:

i genuinely think most people are fine with how much theyre tracked and just dont care. i know i dont.

A good proxy for this is how much effort Google spends trying to defeat ad blockers or guilt trip opt-outers which at the moment is "very little". Also, once your walled garden is big enough you don't need to desperately retarget someone across every website in the world.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

didn't want to buy an entire ipad just for a single app.

if $329 for an actually good tablet is spooking you what are you doing in private aviation, the world’s most expensive hobby?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

LastInLine posted:

oh you arent wrong there but we nerds never have problems with whatever bad thing weve chosen. after all we know why theyre bad and in what ways they fail and how to work around the failures and avoid the common pitfalls

apple services in my limited experience require the user to set everything up and manage them in such a way that things are just way more difficult than they should be. i know why theyre the way they are (and its for good reason if you value privacy which i dont) but id much rather it work without all the fuss

as an example i understand the reason continuity works the way it does but all of that just to do what web services do naturally is bonkers. yeah how about all of my devices have all of my data all the time thanks to the cloud and i dont have set any of this garbage up i just open a tab and there it all is

mods, ban for self-harm

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

if $329 for an actually good tablet is spooking you what are you doing in private aviation, the world’s most expensive hobby?

$329 is like 3 more hours of flying, man. i'm stringing out the costs in a way i can afford on my public-servant-in-the-most-expensive-place-in-the-country lifestyle

i didn't even want the app initially -- i am deliberately learning to fly in the littlest oldest planes with the fewest electronics, because i like that better -- but the flight school insisted because SFO just changed their airspace geometry and now it's a big pile of dogshit that's impossible to grasp without a moving map.

e: look at this, lol

except "current" is what it used to be and "proposed" is what they changed it to as of august.

the numbers e.g. 100/021 give the altitudes for the area controlled by SFO, in this case everything between 2100 ft and 10000 ft, and you have to stay out of that area unless explicitly cleared through. you don't have to be a pilot to see how fucky all the borders now are though and how much harder it is to know where you're allowed to be.

the FAA calls this "innovative"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 25, 2018

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

looks like a huge pita either way tbh. i can see why that guy stole a plane and crashed it. couldnt be bothered loving around with landing in that poo poo probably

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eh, once you've already stolen the plane, a few airspace violations trying to get it on the ground aren't really going to add any time to your sentence

random fun fact: if you ever want to see what it's like to be intercepted by an F-15, just fly over (<3000 feet) any major stadium while a game is in progress

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
so just fly below 1400 feet or above 10k feet, what's so hard about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well 1400 feet doesn't give you a whole lot of time in an engine-out situation (approx. 45 seconds until you hit the ground), and to get to 10k you have to go through all the intermediate altitudes where sfo is in charge. also it takes like 15 minutes to get there at best climb rate.

and 1400 feet is too low for certain parts of the bay area anyway bc there are up to 4000 foot mountains.

but yes that is basically what you do, fly at the highest altitude that's under your local ceiling far enough that you won't accidentally bust it in an updraft or if your altimeter is a little fucky

• Locked thread