Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Ryaomon posted:

Here's Blackbeard's very first appearance ever.

It's one of my favorite pages in the entire series because it's a simple but effective line and gag that (in retrospect) perfectly sets up that he's Luffy's complete opposite. No way he's not gonna be the endgame.

I love Blackbeard's design so much.

He's so antithesis of everything you'd expect a Shonen final boss to look like, with his greasy hair, big hairy gut, crude mannerisms. He's also goofy at times, is shown to be very vulnerable, and has several moments where his dignity is stripped away from him. Yet he still manages to be threatening, intimidating, and a very interesting character.

He's like the anti-Aizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jose posted:

Sabo is going to be the one to beat akainu. That was cemented as soon as he ate aces devil fruit

No one is going to beat Akainu. largely cause he is not called that anymore.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
luffy didn't even flinch at the flavor of a devil fruit but he's gonna complain about cherry pie?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Snazzy Frocks posted:

luffy didn't even flinch at the flavor of a devil fruit but he's gonna complain about cherry pie?

I mean he thought it tasted bad.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Before this manga ends Luffy is going to Red Hawk Sakazuki. Sabo might do the rest, but I highly doubt that Luffy isn't going to get atleast one punch in against him.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I hope that in the final stretch it’s not luffy taking on the strongest villains. I hope it’s zoro and ussop. Luffy has never needed to be the strongest like zoro or grow a legend like ussop. He just wants to be the most free, so it would be a nice subversion of tropes that at the end while he may be pirate king he’s only like the 5th strongest fighter in the armada.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

I hope that in the final stretch it’s not luffy taking on the strongest villains. I hope it’s zoro and ussop. Luffy has never needed to be the strongest like zoro or grow a legend like ussop. He just wants to be the most free, so it would be a nice subversion of tropes that at the end while he may be pirate king he’s only like the 5th strongest fighter in the armada.

no, luffy should be the strongest so he can protect his friends from anything.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm pretty sure if it's anyone, it's going to be Luffy being in the final stretch.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea luffy believes that part of his job as the captain is being so strong that his weaker crew members are safe to travel with him wherever he wants to go

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah it's pointed out in the Enies Lobby arc where someone (Ussop? Sanji?) points out that Luffy has a tendency to go after the strongest of their opponents because he knows the weaker members can't handle them or something like that. It's also why he sent Franky after Robin while he stayed back to fight Lucci, cause he knew Lucci would kill his crew.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, it was Chopper.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Veskit posted:

I'm pretty sure if it's anyone, it's going to be Luffy being in the final stretch.

god i hope his last punch in the manga is called the final stretch

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
He's gonna stretch his arm across the entire planet before letting it go.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

his arm will stretch into space and wrap around a moon and slam that moon into the planet

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

U-DO Burger posted:

his arm will stretch into space and wrap around Eneru and slam him into the final boss

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The knockout hit against Enel, but his arm is encased by the moon instead.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Luffy has to become the strongest because that's what you have to be in his world to be the most free. You can't be the second without the first. Being the most free in One Piece world (to Luffy, anyway, Blackbeard might have a different definition) means no matter what anyone else in the world tries to tell you to do, you can say no and have the power to back that decision up against any force they can bring to muster.

or i guess just do what enel did and gently caress off out of everyone else's reach, lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
blackbeard is a fatalist, he trusts that its his destiny to become king of the pirates and so far its working out.......i think hes going to realize at the end that he has a different destiny and end up helping luffy

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So who do you think is the more likely "final boss" of the series so far, Blackbeard or Imu (though it might be funny if it turned out to be Buggy given his current rate of success)? The former's the more obvious choice given he's basically Luffy's polar opposite but then again we haven't really seen much of the latter to really judge his personality or what he's capable of.

My guess is Blackbeard is probably going to go down at Raftel (or gets browbeaten into joining the Strawhat Armada though that's slightly less likely) and then after Luffy finds One Piece and becomes the new Pirate King the crew will then take the fight directly to the WG alongside their allies and the Revolutionaries.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Buggy is going to stumble into some hidden source of power and become an Akira final boss that everyone will have to work together to defeat

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The last boss will be Shanks so Luffy can wear his straw hat up until the very end.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I hope Luffy meets Charloss again

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

The last boss will be Shanks so Luffy can wear his straw hat up until the very end.

I'm still curious how that confrontation is going to go since Shanks isn't really a bad guy per se. I imagine if they wind up fighting at all it'll be more like a test of Luffy's strength or something like that.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

We know so little about Shanks. It could still turn out that Luffy actually has to take him out for some reason.

It would be pretty powerful/compelling if that has to happren

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Larryb posted:

I'm still curious how that confrontation is going to go since Shanks isn't really a bad guy per se. I imagine if they wind up fighting at all it'll be more like a test of Luffy's strength or something like that.

luffy will be adding shanks to his crew via a davy back fight

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ubiquitus posted:

We know so little about Shanks. It could still turn out that Luffy actually has to take him out for some reason.

It would be pretty powerful/compelling if that has to happren

Shanks is going to die, the only question is will he go out like Obi-Wan, Darth Vader, or Jecht.

yes, i ruined the theme but i couldn't think of a better star wars analogy for that last one

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I hope Luffy punches Charloss again

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Luffy becoming Pirate King by reaching Raftel will almost certainly not be the end of the manga because it’s the next step required for a whole bunch of story elements to come into play. Blackbeard may be Luffy’s most significant rival pirate, but he’s still a pirate - as Pirate King, son of Dragon, and inheritor of the Will of D, Luffy’s greatest natural enemy is the World Government and the Celestial Nobles. Imu will probably be the end-boss, but if he turns out to be Borsalino wearing a really huge hat (or just Borsalino’s puppet), then I totally called it. Absurdly powerful monkey-themed goofball with (suspiciously celestial) powers named after the Imperial Regalia of Japan and with the closest connection to Vegapunk of any of the Admirals? Yeah, he’s one to watch, especially if Sakazuki does the Nobunaga thing and goes down early.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Shanks is going to die, the only question is will he go out like Obi-Wan, Darth Vader, or Jecht.

yes, i ruined the theme but i couldn't think of a better star wars analogy for that last one

Han Solo..

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kild posted:

Han Solo..

the difference there is han didn't want to die nor did he expect to

I'm pretty sure Shanks has been preparing for his death, however it goes down, from the moment he entrusted Luffy with his hat.

edit: actually, the moment he sacrificed his arm to that sea king, that's probably more accurate

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Larryb posted:

So who do you think is the more likely "final boss" of the series so far, Blackbeard or Imu (though it might be funny if it turned out to be Buggy given his current rate of success)? The former's the more obvious choice given he's basically Luffy's polar opposite but then again we haven't really seen much of the latter to really judge his personality or what he's capable of.

My guess is Blackbeard is probably going to go down at Raftel (or gets browbeaten into joining the Strawhat Armada though that's slightly less likely) and then after Luffy finds One Piece and becomes the new Pirate King the crew will then take the fight directly to the WG alongside their allies and the Revolutionaries.

The most fitting and thematic? Blackbeard.
The one the gels most with the story? The Nobles and Imu
The obvious curveball? A reformed WG with New Marines under Sakazuki/Someone else

other than these 3, I can't see any other current faction or character being able to hold up an arc on their lonesome.
And It's very much going to depend on if they reach Raftel before the final arc. I can't see BB as a fight after Raftel.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 25, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I just can't see blackbeard joining the strawhats in any capacity

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The only other enemies I think could get an arc would be that Rocks group if they actually grow back into power.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think its going to be the world history being revealed at Raftel. Luffy as pirate king accidentally leading a revolution against the world government. Then as it all comes burning down, Blackbeard shows up to kill and steal and plunder and revel in true pirate anarchy, which is something Luffy very much dislikes. A new government that would be formed by all of the strawhats friends and people saved along the way, they all get threatened by Blackbeard and Luffy is forced to confront his opposite

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

when are enel and the mooninites gonna come into play is my question. they got a cover story so you know they're gonna

we still have to go to elbaf too

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Elbaf will probably tie back in to Big Mom

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Larryb posted:

shanks is pretty clearly going to lose to blackbeard and so luffy will be avenging him thus fulfilling the promise

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the question is whether shanks meets luffy before or after that. or maybe he'll die before luffy can meet him again

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I mean yeah same dif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Manatee Cannon posted:

when are enel and the mooninites.

I'll accept this only if they're the same Mooniniites from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

"On the Moon, we all have 12 Devil Fruits. And our devil fruits allow us to play guitar perfectly every time without even trying"

Also, since the feedback to my Katakuri was so positive, I thought I'd share a few more pics of the finished product. My knee pads messed up so I had to build a last minute solution, and my makeup for my face scars ended up not working out, but overall I'm pleased with how the whole mess turned out

Bonus Big Mom and Pudding